Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,361 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:31 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (1835) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4395627 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1832) (1833) (1834) (1835) (1836) (1837) (1838) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by egoldi01: 6:59am On Dec 14, 2020
Please see below the cost of installation of borehole given to me for my koboko project after drilling. Only two pipes were put in the drilled holes as the guy said no need for casing or so from down. The depth is slightly above 110m

1) Pumping machine intadable 58 000
2 ) Tiger pipe 12. 45 600
3) cable wire 2 roll 16 000
4) rope 1 roll 8 000
5) socket 12. 2 400
6) gate Fab 1 1.000
7) cover 1 1,000
cool bushing 1 500
9) cellotape 5 500
10)l boo 3 600
Workmaship 15 000
Total . = # 148 000

Please assist me to review and advise.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by egoldi01: 7:04am On Dec 14, 2020
egoldi01:
Please see below the cost of installation of borehole given to me for my koboko project after drilling. Only two pipes were put in the drilled holes as the guy said no need for casing or so from down. The depth is slightly above 110m

2 ) Tiger pipe 12. 45,600
3) cable wire 2 roll 16,000
4) rope 1 roll 8,000
5) socket 12. 2,400
6) gate Fab 1 1,000
7) cover 1 1,000
cool bushing 1 500
9) cellotape 5 500
10)l boo 3 600
Workmaship 15,000
Total . = # 148,000

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 14, 2020
mountmoriah:
new designs

I would love to have something like the one on pix 3. Very simple and beautifully crafted. What's the cost implication in Nigeria?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 8:03am On Dec 14, 2020
egoldi01:

2 ) Tiger pipe 12. 45 600
3) cable wire 2 roll 16 000
4) rope 1 roll 8 000
5) socket 12. 2 400
6) gate Fab 1 1.000
7) cover 1 1,000
cool bushing 1 500
9) cellotape 5 500
10)l boo 3 600
Workmaship 15 000
Total . = # 148 000

Which pumping machine is #58000? I bought a semi submersible pump for my borehole project which I did early November 2020 for #30,000.

Which one is cable wire again? The semi submersible pump comes with the wire. The wire is even very long and you can't use all of it.

Which one is rope 8000? I bought rope for #3000 and less than quarter of it was even used.

How many casing pipe did he tell you that u need? Although for my own project 3 and half casing pipe was used and I have to return the remaining. I initially bought 7. The casing pipe I bought then cost #7000 per one for 5 inches. This casing pipe are the strong ones. Very original. Although there are lesser quality one for even #4000.

I advice you go to the market and buy your stuff yourself.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yinkaoke(f): 8:45am On Dec 14, 2020
Please do u v the pics of the machine ?
neduboo:

Which pumping machine is #58000? I bought a semi submersible pump for my borehole project which I did early November 2020 for #30,000.

Which one is cable wire again? The semi submersible pump comes with the wire. The wire is even very long and you can't use all of it.

Which one is rope 8000? I bought rope for #3000 and less than quarter of it was even used.

How many casing pipe did he tell you that u need? Although for my own project 3 and half casing pipe was used and I have to return the remaining. I initially bought 7. The casing pipe I bought then cost #7000 per one for 5 inches.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:46am On Dec 14, 2020
neduboo:

How many casing pipe did he tell you that u need? Although for my own project 3 and half casing pipe was used and I have to return the remaining. I initially bought 7. The casing pipe I bought then cost #7000 per one for 5 inches.

Good post. Thanks for sharing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 8:50am On Dec 14, 2020
yinkaoke:
Please do u v the pics of the machine ?

The machine has already been installed inside the borehole. I have done the borehole already
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yinkaoke(f): 8:57am On Dec 14, 2020
Ok do u remember d brand name or name of machine, power capacity or by chance the carton?
neduboo:

The machine has already been installed inside the borehole. I have done the borehole already
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 9:03am On Dec 14, 2020
yinkaoke:
Ok do u remember d brand name or name of machine, power capacity or by chance the carton?
I can't remember the brand name but I remember it's 0.75hp and it fills my 1000 liter tank within less than 10 mins
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by zuraking(m): 9:15am On Dec 14, 2020
neduboo:

I can't remember the brand name but I remember it's 0.75hp and it fills my 1000 liter tank within less than 10 mins
from 0-100? shocked that's cool. Please lets know the brand name
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 9:34am On Dec 14, 2020
Phylife:

I would love to have something like the one on pix 3. Very simple and beautifully crafted. What's the cost implication in Nigeria?
depend on the area or region you are building this sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 9:35am On Dec 14, 2020
valencia2012:
If builders, house owners and contractors can chose between aluminium sheets and stone coated roofing due to finance or choice, why is there no such alternative to POP?
My thinking is because Okorommaduekwe did it, therefore Gbadamosi, Osunbor and Idongesit must do it. Just like iron wrought, chrome or stainless rails.
Not because its cheap or expensive.
Some have added penthouses to buildings but don't know it's meaning or usefulness, because they just want the penthouse title added when describing their edifice.
Its a matter of mentality and dynamism.
you are correct
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 9:35am On Dec 14, 2020
valencia2012:
If builders, house owners and contractors can chose between aluminium sheets and stone coated roofing due to finance or choice, why is there no such alternative to POP?
My thinking is because Okorommaduekwe did it, therefore Gbadamosi, Osunbor and Idongesit must do it. Just like iron wrought, chrome or stainless rails.
Not because its cheap or expensive.
Some have added penthouses to buildings but don't know it's meaning or usefulness, because they just want the penthouse title added when describing their edifice.
Its a matter of mentality and dynamism.
you are correct.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Fromwater: 9:48am On Dec 14, 2020
michlins:
according to your budget, you will be needing something basic like this. Should cost 8,000 for 4ft by 4ft. There are cheaper and more expensive ones too. The attached door is something I made for a Nairalander some years back
Let me have ur contact
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by egoldi01: 10:05am On Dec 14, 2020
Thank you so much for the detailed analysis. I will further engage the guy on the pipes and other issues raised.

neduboo:

How many casing pipe did he tell you that u need? Although for my own project 3 and half casing pipe was used and I have to return the remaining. I initially bought 7. The casing pipe I bought then cost #7000 per one for 5 inches. This casing pipe are the strong ones. Very original. Although there are lesser quality one for even #4000.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 10:11am On Dec 14, 2020
zuraking:
from 0-100? shocked that's cool. Please lets know the brand name

I have disposed the cartoon already and the submersible is already immersed in the borehole
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:34am On Dec 14, 2020
mountmoriah:
depend on the area or region you are building this sir

Asaba, Delta State.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 10:44am On Dec 14, 2020
Fromwater:

Let me have ur contact
attached is my business card. 07032fourfour6904

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Godisgreatest1: 11:53am On Dec 14, 2020
Hello, I sent Dangote cement customer service a mail telling them the current price of cement is #3500 to #4000. This was the response I received. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 12:13pm On Dec 14, 2020
Godisgreatest1:
Hello, I sent Dangote cement customer service a mail telling them the current price of cement is #3500 to #4000. This was the response I received. Thank you.

Looks like a standard reply. Probably sent by a 'Robot'.

You'll probably get the same response if you sent a message, say, complaning that your M-I-L is coming to stay for chrisrmas.

10 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 12:38pm On Dec 14, 2020
Phylife:

Look nice but burglar proof will spoil the view.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Uyi213: 1:51pm On Dec 14, 2020
I have a half plot of land available in akobo ojurin area of Ibadan. Houses And duplexes have been built and numbered already. It has a foundation of three bedrooms.

Asking price - 800k

Call/WhatsApp me zero eight one five one three eight nine nine one five. I am the direct owner and based in Lagos.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 14, 2020
omanzo02:

Look nice but burglar proof will spoil the view.

Yea but well galvanised burglary could add aesthetics to it, don't you think?

I just love the simplicity and beauty. But can it be adapted going by our topography and climate?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:18pm On Dec 14, 2020
I have a feeling cement price will come down in the coming days.

2 trucks delivered to me on credit today. Demand is decreasing and the supply is increasing.

_______
As we know it, a decrease in demand and an increase in supply will cause a fall in equilibrium price.

Now that the consumers are placing a lower value on the product, I foresee the producers/distributors accepting a lower price in the coming days, therefore, a fall in price.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 3:16pm On Dec 14, 2020
n3xt:

This same question is what I asked myself few years ago. I have my noggins already and the cost of POP is overreaching. Then I decided to go with plasterboard as an alternative to the traditional POP boards.

The above approach removed the need for the plasterboard accessories as I’m just using it as an alternative to the traditional POP boards.

Every other components remain the same. The difference is in the number of cement I’ll be using to cover a room and the labour charges.

Any other material that can be screeded over can easily replace POP boards in this case e.g. asbestos, cement boards, plywood, polystyrene etc.

_______
The whole idea is to think outside the box and stop approaching construction with a typical naija man “pre-fixed mindset”

Boss can you please drop the plaster board's contact? or if you re the contractor, do a comparative analysis between pop ceiling and plaster board ceiling using a typical 12 m² room.

As you can see, alot of builders need an alternative to Pop ceiling due to the price of Pop cements...for others like us..we just want to learn.

Thank you in advance.

C.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cindino20(m): 3:22pm On Dec 14, 2020
n3xt:

This same question is what I asked myself few years ago. I have my noggins already and the cost of POP is overreaching. Then I decided to go with plasterboard as an alternative to the traditional POP boards.

The above approach removed the need for the plasterboard accessories as I’m just using it as an alternative to the traditional POP boards.

Every other components remain the same. The difference is in the number of cement I’ll be using to cover a room and the labour charges.

Any other material that can be screeded over can easily replace POP boards in this case e.g. asbestos, cement boards, plywood, polystyrene etc.

_______
The whole idea is to think outside the box and stop approaching construction with a typical naija man “pre-fixed mindset”

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by davodyguy: 4:21pm On Dec 14, 2020
Godisgreatest1:

This is not a 'response' that is anticipated

They may not get back to you or if they do, they would not be able to provide satisfactory response
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Onarabu: 4:52pm On Dec 14, 2020
gordonbarrett:
Pls how much did u pay per sqm for ur pop?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:57pm On Dec 14, 2020
Cindino20:

Boss can you please drop the plaster board's contact? or if you re the contractor, do a comparative analysis between pop ceiling and plaster board ceiling using a typical 12 m² room.

As you can see, alot of builders need an alternative to Pop ceiling due to the price of Pop cements...for others like us..we just want to learn.

Thank you in advance.

C.

Thanks bro for your question.

My plasterboard guy is out of reach for some time now. I’m also not a POP contractor so I might not be able to do exactly what you’re looking for. I’m just an enduser like you and every other enquiry minds here.

However, here’s something I do whenever I’m working on POP and many other finishing works that are billed per m² :

1. Get a Breakdown Cost

Unfortunately I do not always accept a per m² on most of my bids. I always ask my tradespeople to furnish me with a quote which includes an outline plan for how the money estimated will be spent, and a breakdown of the items it will be spent on.

I always encourage the bidder to include his best rates as I don’t like doing too much negotiations.

The reason I don’t accept per m² billing is simply because I don't feel comfortable having someone bill a fixed rate for a specific element of the works that is not yet defined in enough detail for him to accurately price.

E.g. I don’t like too many decorations on my ceiling (just plain and cornices) but my wife would like us to have quoin, ceiling rose, dome, archs, cornices etc in some part of the project . Despite the difference, we were billed the same amount N8,000 per m²

2. My Build Route: Owner-Builder Approach

When building projects get to finishing stage, I always switch mode from a general contractor (a GC) to owner-builder/owner-contractor mode to physically handle some of the finishing work on my own.

This means I planned to exclude GCs (and their fees) altogether, and intend to directly oversee all the skilled trade subcontractors who do the actual field work.

The whole effort is to save money - nothing more.

Given this background, let’s compare costs of installing a traditional POP ceiling (using gypsum plaster) vs using plasterboard in a 12m² room.

________
POP Ceiling

POP Ceiling per m² - #8,000 (material and labour cost as at today)
POP Ceiling per m² - #800 - #1,500 (cost varies per design)
Bag of POP Cement - #10,200
Kg of POP sponge - #3,500

Number of Cornices* / Bag of POP Cemen - 7 (big cornice)

Note: smaller cornices can produce as much as 12 pcs per bag or even more. A 12m² room will use maximum of 1.5 bags of POP cement for cornice production.

Cost of 12m² room (#8,000 x 12m²) = #96,000 (material and labour)

Cost of 12m² room (#800 x 12m²) = #9,600 (labour only for cornice and screeding of a plain design)

________
Plasterboard

Plasterboard installation per m² = #12,000 (materials and labour cost as at today)
1.2 x 3m sheet of plasterboard = #7,000 - #9,000

* A sheet of 1.2 x 3m plasterboard will cover 3.6m². A 12m² room will require 3.5 plasterboards (estimated at #31,500)

** Professional installation of plasterboard (including the grills) is charged at 1,500 per m² (newly adjusted rate).

*** We are not installing the plasterboards the professional way as it’ll be used as a replacement for the POP boards. The 3 boards will be screwed to the ceiling noggin and held in place with the help of the cornices. The experience of the installer matters a lot here.

**** Adding the cost of producing 15m - 20m cornice and the cost of screeding a 12m² ceiling, plus the cost of hanging the plasterboards (N6k max), the total cost of installing a 12m² ceiling using Plasterboard as a replacement for the conventional POP boards will still be #10 - #15k cheaper.

2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by omanzo02: 5:37pm On Dec 14, 2020
Phylife:

Yea but well galvanised burglary could add aesthetics to it, don't you think?

I just love the simplicity and beauty. But can it be adapted going by our topography and climate?
I find large glass windows and doors more beautiful without burglary, the plain see through gives it a unique style.
Adaptation in Nigeria wouldn't be a problem, they always a have different features than other regular design, with some green around will make it better.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by xrayj(m): 6:03pm On Dec 14, 2020
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Takoro13(m): 6:39pm On Dec 14, 2020
Godisgreatest1:
Please share here the email address so that others can do same. Maybe they have a reasonable resolution when they witness huge complaints

(1) (2) (3) ... (1832) (1833) (1834) (1835) (1836) (1837) (1838) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Billions123 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.