Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,073 members, 7,814,715 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:11 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2034) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4381873 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2031) (2032) (2033) (2034) (2035) (2036) (2037) ... (3666) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 2:05pm On Mar 03, 2021
mountmoriah:
I don't have it, but one of my guy have it in Bodija ( we call it Osan or Akala)

the 2x6 fadalla is N2, 100, hardly before you come across the bandsaw

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 2:07pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:

To become rich in Nigeria is very easy. A lot of people are looking for these woods.

Trust Naija artisans like me grin, unlike Baba Egunmogaji2, we will only start looking for such wood only when there's a client for it. We hardly stock up.

______
I bought about 50 pcs of 2*6 "osan" wood few weeks ago. I told the guys in the sawmill to hint me whenever they come across it again.

@mountmoriah, @johntemmy, how much is osan at your end?

2by6 fadala osan is 1700

it's hard to see 2by6 sawmill out there but I can get it for you at 2000 it's plenty on our field here.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 2:08pm On Mar 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m trying to stock up on Mesonia. Relatively hard to find in 12” widths.

is it 1by12..2by6 or 2by12 you need sir?

I have it plenty all at shikini money.....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:11pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:
Problem Begging for Solution

Please help with creative suggestions.
Sir, this is how it was done. Please make sure you incorporate the idea from the foundation. Be ready to spend a lot of money on reinforcements according to your structural engineer specification. It can be done, nothing impossible in engineering construction.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by godspeed: 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2021
chizagi:
If you are in a dilemma on the cost of constructing Roof Parapet for your building, or your building is located on a loose soil, I will advise you to go for Polystyrene roof parapet due to the following reasons.

It is Light in weight
It is cheaper compared to concrete (that is it eliminates the cost of wood form work both material and labour, less reinforcement)
It is faster and easy to install.
It is Neater than most parapet as it has been formed using a machine.

Please house,

Is it advisable to go for this kind of concrete fascia as against building it together with the house?

I kind of prefer this mainly because it is neater and of course cheaper but my architect is discouraging it saying it is weak and cannot support the weight of the roof as such can fall off on the long run.

What is your take on this?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fiyin1200: 2:50pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:
Problem Begging for Solution

Please help with creative suggestions.

What about this one? Tank tower with Eucalyptus wood covering the plastic tank. I think it was constructed with steel rebars.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fiyin1200: 3:13pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:

I have some crazy ideas though. I just need some money to encourage me grin

There’s a plan for a contemporary 2 bed BQ. I’m thinking we can integrate a tank tower into it.

@egunmogaji2 grin is Pic 2 cool? My client said he hasn’t seen a beautiful steel tower before

Probably not applicable but in this house the tank is hidden at the highest point of the building. The elevation even adds to the aesthetics of the building.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:30pm On Mar 03, 2021
Johntemmy:

is it 1by12..2by6 or 2by12 you need sir?

I have it plenty all at shikini money.....

Specifically Mesonia ONLY

Length minimum 12 feet

Thickness minimum 2 inches

Width minimum 12 inches

No bark damage, knots, holes, etc
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:28pm On Mar 03, 2021
fiyin1200:

Probably not applicable but in this house the tank is hidden at the highest point of the building. The elevation even adds to the aesthetics of the building.

This is beautiful but how do you access it without compromising security and privacy.

The master suite is in the pent where this is likely to be. Any access from the exterior will be a huge risk and breach of security.

One of my old project had access to the tank slab through the atrium but unfortunately this build does not have an atrium.

Thanks for the intellectual exchange. I love those out-of-box ideas.

______

Besides, I’m already on 3 floors. I’m scared a 4th slab will look funny on the pent.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:30pm On Mar 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Length minimum 12 feet

Width minimum 12 inches

According to BS code.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:39pm On Mar 03, 2021
kopell:
Sir, this is how it was done. Please make sure you incorporate the idea from the foundation. Be ready to spend a lot of money on reinforcements according to your structural engineer specification. It can be done, nothing impossible in engineering construction.

Yes baba. I did a couple of this design on some projects I’ve shared here.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2021
We had a similar design in this build. There were 2 tanks hidden in the roof. But if you ask me, I really don’t like it. Access is from the courtyard.

I don’t have much pictures from the project.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:53pm On Mar 03, 2021
Johntemmy:

2by6 fadala osan is 1700

it's hard to see 2by6 sawmill out there but I can get it for you at 2000 it's plenty on our field here.

Thanks bro. Na fadala everyone dey show me too.

I’ll let you know when and where to deliver to. I’m just stocking up for now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 5:37pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:

Thanks bro. Na fadala everyone dey show me too.

I’ll let you know when and where to deliver to. I’m just stocking up for now.

you welcome...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 5:39pm On Mar 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Length minimum 12 feet
Width minimum 12 inches

That's special order.... No prob.
obe todun..owo lo pa.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 5:53pm On Mar 03, 2021
Please read.

*RED ALERT FOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS AS MARKETERS IMPOSE IMPROPER DIAMETER ON USERS OF REINFORCING STEEL*

The looming danger is the ignorance in the procurement of this structural item without due dilligence.

When,
12mm @ 92pcs
is requested to be supplied,
what you get is,
10mm @ 92pcs for the price of a ton.
If you are lucky to detect, you might be able to obtain a fictitious discount for a bedraggled deal.

Similarly,
for 10mm @ 133 pcs
you get supplied
8mm @ 133 pcs.
The danger here for the Structural Engineer is that calculation outputs are usually specified, and if what is supplied is to be used, a reappraisal of the supplied diameter becomes inevitable.

*The fraud by some manufacturers is that 12mm inscription will be seen on the supplied 10mm, same goes for other diameters.*

Arising from this fraudulent practise have resulted in 14mm supplied for 16mm and 22mm supplied for 25mm.e.t.c.
These bars in equal numbers don't have the same strength.

Simply put,

For those Clients that bridge the protocol of obtaining adroit Professionals, the integrity of the structural strength of the building may be compromised.

it is only wise to request for the designed diameter and quantities, however, this is only visible for Corporate entities and discerning Clients.

Funny , most Clients that choose to procure reinforcing steel at their own peril don't accept fluctuations.

It is possible that exchange rates is taking it's toll on this item.

But building collapse resulting from the mismanagement of manufactured reinforcing Steel supplied to construction site will be a disaster waiting to happen.

The Structural Engineer is advised to carry out due diligence on the reinforcing Steel to be used on the site
*with respect to designed and supplied*,
and where possible recommend laboratory tensile strength test.

'Extract from Niwo Balogun, feb.2021

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:36pm On Mar 03, 2021
Aforxzy:

Please read.

*RED ALERT FOR STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS AS MARKETERS IMPOSE IMPROPER DIAMETER ON USERS OF REINFORCING STEEL*

The looming danger is the ignorance in the procurement of this structural item without due dilligence.

When,
12mm @ 92pcs
what you get is,
If you are lucky to detect, you might be able to obtain a fictitious discount for a bedraggled deal.

Similarly,
for 10mm @ 133 pcs
you get supplied
8mm @ 133 pcs.
The danger here for the Structural Engineer is that calculation outputs are usually specified, and if what is supplied is to be used, a reappraisal of the supplied diameter becomes inevitable.

*The fraud by some manufacturers is that 12mm inscription will be seen on the supplied 10mm, same goes for other diameters.*

Arising from this fraudulent practise have resulted in 14mm supplied for 16mm and 22mm supplied for 25mm.e.t.c.

Simply put,

For those Clients that bridge the protocol of obtaining adroit Professionals, the integrity of the structural strength of the building may be compromised.

it is only wise to request for the designed diameter and quantities, however, this is only visible for Corporate entities and discerning Clients.

Funny , most Clients that choose to procure reinforcing steel at their own peril don't accept fluctuations.

But building collapse resulting from the mismanagement of manufactured reinforcing Steel supplied to construction site will be a disaster waiting to happen.

The Structural Engineer is advised to carry out due diligence on the reinforcing Steel to be used on the site

This is not new, only few dubious contractors will put his or her name on line to take those conner cutting decision. Mostly is the owners that make those decisions to save money, it is very clear when one go to purchase reinforcement steels, by prices and seething. Many owners choose to go for cheap ones to save money and put people lives in danger, I can’t blame them sha. If the authorities are out to do what they are supposed to doing, things like that won’t happen. The funny part of it is most of the State field officers are busy chasing eguje in line of their duty. It’s a shame

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 6:50pm On Mar 03, 2021
fiyin1200:
Seen on Twitter
@spyder880 @michlins

Thanks, they've been announcing it on local radio here in Enugu.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaoye15(m): 7:23pm On Mar 03, 2021
Hello Family. How.much does an average architectural design for a four bedroom. I am looking at contacting someone for this. Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:30pm On Mar 03, 2021
olaoye15:
Hello Family. How.much does an average architectural design for a four bedroom. I am looking at contacting someone for this. Thank you.
Contact Dennis 3D designs https://www.nairaland.com/dennis3d/posts
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:41pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:

I tried going into exportation of these woods few years ago with my roofer Nnamdi. Drying naturally is the best. I'll share pictures of some sites near me where people are exporting these woods to china in 20 and 40ft containers.

Natural drying ke....watched atleast 10 videos of lumber processing...they are mostly using kiln drying processing. Watch from 2:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvbgwdTGoyo

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:43pm On Mar 03, 2021
Aforxzy:

Please read.

When,
12mm @ 92pcs
what you get is,

Similarly,
for 10mm @ 133 pcs
you get supplied
8mm @ 133 pcs.

Simply put,

Thanks for sharing. I got value.

It has nothing to do with exchange rate. It’s just a case of a failed system.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:49pm On Mar 03, 2021
dongc:

Natural drying ke....watched atleast 10 videos of lumber processing...they are mostly using kiln drying processing. Watch from 2:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvbgwdTGoyo

I’m a learner with capital “L” on this. ;

Thanks for sharing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:54pm On Mar 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I think I posted this here before.

I took the pictures in Pasadena, California.

One of the things I’m enjoying here in Nigeria is being jobless and single. Doesn’t hurt that I have a little bit of extra cash to indulge in my crazy ideas and schemes grin

Tell your client to go ahead and live. Life is short.

Wow, this is beautiful.
Won't this cost a fortune in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:13pm On Mar 03, 2021
I’m shocked to see this much waste in 2021!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:17pm On Mar 03, 2021
somehow:

Wow, this is beautiful.
Won't this cost a fortune in Nigeria?

I don’t think it will.

But I’m thinking four concrete pillars instead of the aluminum.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:18pm On Mar 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I don’t think it will.

But I’m thinking four concrete pillars instead of the aluminum.

Nice. wouldn't mind something like this though since I don't think a tank is okay on a flat roof building.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:21pm On Mar 03, 2021
somehow:

Nice. wouldn't mind something like this though since I don't think a tank is okay on a flat roof building.

I’m personally not in favor of the embedded tanks. I have an engineered platform in my ceiling but opted for a stanchion.

What we really ought to be doing is underground tanks and then adding a pressure pump.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:14pm On Mar 03, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m personally not in favor of the embedded tanks. I have an engineered platform in my ceiling but opted for a stanchion.

What we really ought to be doing is underground tanks and then adding a pressure pump.

Underground tank without the possibility of getting contaminated?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:31pm On Mar 03, 2021
n3xt:

This is beautiful but how do you access it without compromising security and privacy.

The master suite is in the pent where this is likely to be. Any access from the exterior will be a huge risk and breach of security.

One of my old project had access to the tank slab through the atrium but unfortunately this build does not have an atrium.

Thanks for the intellectual exchange. I love those out-of-box ideas.

______

Besides, I’m already on 3 floors. I’m scared a 4th slab will look funny on the pent.

You're saying you've already built the structure and at the moment you're on the 3 rd floor?

Don't know how you can incorporate it to the pent house section. But you can do your pent house design in such a way that the decking slab extends to carry a concrete cast tank.

Create an exit door via the pent house to get access the tank. The reserved opening can as well serve as a sit out for quiet moments.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mountmoriah(m): 9:40pm On Mar 03, 2021
Johntemmy:

2by6 fadala osan is 1700

Like I said, I don't have it, the last time i sold Osan or Akala wood was last year and it was N1, 500 then, but maybe the location and the source of the guy that have it is different from yours that is why your prices are different, I wouldn't know but I won't determine price for someone product or materials I don't control.

I hope am making sense to you bro.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2031) (2032) (2033) (2034) (2035) (2036) (2037) ... (3666) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: topsy23, timelineinc and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.