Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,212 members, 7,818,721 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2191) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4397417 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2188) (2189) (2190) (2191) (2192) (2193) (2194) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:45pm On May 10, 2021
dongc:

It's a simple question sir....I know about google
Then find the answer there. What I said is not rocket science and don't have the luxury to list what is readily available online sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:18pm On May 10, 2021
somehow:
But in the US, market forces decide the cost of items there and government can't decide for the market.

Am I wrong?

Market forces.

You have market forces determinant only in a perfect competition. Your have perfect competition with unrestricted access to market information.

It is only in a perfect market that market forces determine price. The Nigerian cement market is not perfect. There is government concession and protection for a highly favoured manufacturer. In such a scenario, it is unwise to expect market forces to determine the price.

In another response you challenge someone to go into cement production. Please note that you can't ordinarily go into cement production as you need mining license from the government which you will struggle to get unless you are a favoured certain individual. A demonstration of imperfect market. Don't expect market forces to determine price.

In the US in an imperfect market, the government determine price. Take gasoline price for example. The American government has gone to war with nations to control the price of oil to a determined level. Think Iraq war.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 10:33pm On May 10, 2021
diordaves:

Market forces.

You have market forces determinant only in a perfect competition. Your have perfect competition with unrestricted access to market information.

It is only in a perfect market that market forces determine price. The Nigerian cement market is not perfect. There is government concession and protection for a highly favoured manufacturer. In such a scenario, it is unwise to expect market forces to determine the price.

In another response you challenge someone to go into cement production. Please note that you can't ordinarily go into cement production as you need mining license from the government which you will struggle to get unless you are a favoured certain individual. A demonstration of imperfect market. Don't expect market forces to determine price.

In the US in an imperfect market, the government determine price. Take gasoline price for example. The American government has gone to war with nations to control the price of oil to a determined level. Think Iraq war.

I do know he must get a license to operate,
like I repeated before, there are more than 8 companies with license, some are on paper and some aren't producing up to capacity, anyone can go negotiate with those wasting the license.

The American Govt pegged the price of gasoline, not that they decide how much each fueling stations must sell their product. (Prices varies between states).

It's almost similar to that of Nigeria (fuel) abeit subsidy.

Iraq or any other war started by the US got little to do with pricing but distribution/availability. (Not like they don't even have oil, they have the highest oil reserve in the world). This particular market is still not in the US's favor.

Political war, economic war o, self interest comes first.

The banning is more of self interest irrespective of the label it came though.

He banned these products due to politics (Which is more economical than political if you look deeper)

We also banned some products including cement for economic reasons (To allow local coys grow).

In summary, there is no import dependent country in the world that is a model for progress and prosperity.

My parting shot : We surely need more local manufacturering companies in the cement industry.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:43pm On May 10, 2021
somehow:
But in the US, market forces decide the cost of items there and government can't decide for the market.

Am I wrong?

You’re right up to a point.

We have laws against price gouging, monopoly, etc

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:44pm On May 10, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
Hello everyone.

May I know how much it takes to rent a Mack dump Truck for granite for a day in Lagos?
Are they more expensive than Howo trucks?

I'll be grateful if I can get quick answer. I'm about to make a financial decision in the next few hours.

Thanks

Chekitaut
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:17pm On May 10, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You’re right up to a point.

We have laws against price gouging, monopoly, eyc

Yes, the law is against monopoly, not to tell private businesses how much they should sell their products.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:42pm On May 10, 2021
BuyAndSellStuff:
Hello everyone.

May I know how much it takes to rent a Mack dump Truck for granite for a day in Lagos?
Are they more expensive than Howo trucks?

I'll be grateful if I can get quick answer. I'm about to make a financial decision in the next few hours.

Thanks
Howo is more expensive than Mack truck.

Mack truck is 30-40k daily, while Howo is 60-80k depending on the grade of truck.

Call me for more info to avoid blocking me by antisparm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 11:42pm On May 10, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Chekitaut
My OGA thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 12:05am On May 11, 2021
hslbroker2:
get free quote or estimate nos of woods you need for your roofing

2x2

2x3

2x4

2x6

3x4

1x12
Call or whatsapps

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 12:56am On May 11, 2021
QSFemi:
This is very true.

I believe professionals are generally underpaid in Nigeria.

Everyone is generally underpaid in Nigeria with the exception of very few like the national assembly and political office holders. There is over supply of labor in almost every facet of the economy.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 2:01am On May 11, 2021
somehow:

like I repeated before, there are more than 8 companies with license, some are on paper and some aren't producing up to capacity, anyone can go negotiate with those wasting the license.

The American Govt pegged the price of gasoline, not that they decide how much each fueling stations must sell their product. (Prices varies between states).

Iraq or any other war started by the US got little to do with pricing but distribution/availability. (Not like they don't even have oil, they have the highest oil reserve in the world). This particular market is still not in the US's favor.

He banned these products due to politics (Which is more economical than political if you look deeper)

We also banned some products including cement for economic reasons (To allow local coys grow).

In summary, there is no import dependent country in the world that is a model for progress and prosperity.

My parting shot : We surely need more local manufacturering companies in the cement industry.

Is this not what I proposed in the earlier comment that you were against? When I said that the government could set the price of cement to about #2800 and then allow importation for a period to bring than the price whenever the price goes beyond that price level.

You may not be aware of this but the US is an import dependent country in the area of consumer products. In fact majority of the western countries are importing almost all the same products we imports including cars.

Putting our citizens under enormous suffering because we want to build up manufacturing is not the way to go. Any local manufacturing that cannot withstand international competition after more than 10 years is not going to last. The US auto industry suffered serious financial damage in 2008 that the government had to rescue them. They were not building quality cars that can compete internationally because they were enjoying patriotic patronage from US consumers. But when the economy went south and the US consumer purchasing power went with it, the auto industry couldn't ride it out . Japanese car manufacturers were able to ride it out without the support of their government. The US government did not ban the importation of cars during this time. They help the auto industry with loan and loan restructuring but they did not protect them from international competition. After few years they were able to bounce back and start opening previously closed factories.

A Yoruba adage says "whoever you give hoe to will dig toward himself". Any attempt to build local capacity with just carrot without a stick to make sure that the producers did not overly burden the citizens will failed in the nearest future.
Few months ago, I read something similar in the production of rice where those benefiting from the ban on rice importation are taking advantage of the system to the detriment of government intention and the citizens. This lead to smuggling of rice that is of better quality and cheaper than local production at lower price.

Finally, I am going to inform you that Trump didn't banned any products from importation to benefit local production. US even under Trump is a member of WTO. US banned certain products from been imported to US because they alleged China was using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor to manufacture those products. They also ban some companies they alleged were involved in the scheme.

We all want better Nigeria that is a manufacturing giants in Africa. However, we will not get there if the production capacity we are building cannot stand international competition. We will not get there if we are all silent while the system been set up is gridding ordinary men and women to the benefit of connected few

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:05am On May 11, 2021
Analysis Paralysis | Killer of Productivity

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jalofun: 2:19am On May 11, 2021
I love this
rotecch77:
For those that loves brick looks spanish tiles, here is just a concluded one on one of our ongoing project. ( mini bakery and office).

Size; 25*40
Country of origin: Italy
Price;$12 per square meter.
Materials: double fire baking clay
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:21am On May 11, 2021
n3xt:
Analysis Paralysis | Killer of Productivity

To set the records straight, analysis is not a deliverable but a process used to create a deliverable, and as such, it must be defined by specific goals, tasks, deadlines and results.

The BIG Questions we do ask ourselves at NextHome is this:

Why is this analysis necessary and how will it add value to the project or issue at hand? What is the urgency? What are the risks if this analysis is not undertaken?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:24am On May 11, 2021
XL6 Trillion | Atrium House

Land available for sale. Instant Allocation

FEATURES: Dry plots in a gated estate.

NEIGHBORHOOD:
Pan African University, Dangote Refinery, Sky Mall, Eleko Beach, Lekki International Airport and other notable attractions

TITLE: Excision

PRICE:

300sqm – N4,500,000
600sqm – N9,000,000

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:36am On May 11, 2021
uncleteeh:

How can it work? We are in a country that is too poor.
To win contract is by war, getting a job is by war.
People believe they are doing you good by contracting you.

The slang "there are lots of people out there looking for this type of opportunity" is the new order.
May God heal our land.

Getting jobs/projects is not war. Learn how to create value and add value to other people.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:09am On May 11, 2021
44chux:
I need help to transform a boring design for a restaurant and bar/lounge

N3xt

I’m sorry this is coming rather too late. We got swamped with work.

The proposed design will help you:

- Increase efficiency and workflow
- Stick to budget while you build your restaurant

We consider mostly the operational flow of the restaurant in this design. This plan will help you properly direct foot traffic in your restaurant to prevent bottlenecks or overcrowding.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 3:15am On May 11, 2021
n3xt:

To set the records straight, analysis is not a deliverable but a process used to create a deliverable, and as such, it must be defined by specific goals, tasks, deadlines and results.

The BIG Questions we do ask ourselves at NextHome is this:

Why is this analysis necessary and how will it add value to the project or issue at hand? What is the urgency? What are the risks if this analysis is not undertaken?

What you just described is call analysis. This is what lead to paralysis. You are basically analyzing analysis. A process in a project can be analyzed to get better understanding for decision making. However, when you are analyzing the analysis you are creating paralysis.

As you rightly said at the beginning of the post analysis is not a deliverable. What value do you get in analyzing an analysis. Your deliverable should dictate your need for analysis. Analysis is a flexible tool in your project that range from simple to very complex the way shovel and mix truck are tools.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 3:20am On May 11, 2021
n3xt:

Getting jobs/projects is not war. Learn how to create value and add value to other people.

Proverb 22:29(NLT)
Do you see any truly competent workers? They will serve kings rather than working for ordinary people.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:31am On May 11, 2021
Dijita:

What you just described is call analysis. This is what lead to paralysis. You are basically analyzing analysis. A process in a project can be analyzed to get better understanding for decision making. However, when you are analyzing the analysis you are creating paralysis.

As you rightly said at the beginning of the post analysis is not a deliverable. What value do you get in analyzing an analysis. Your deliverable should dictate your need for analysis. Analysis is a flexible tool in your project that range from simple to very complex the way shovel and mix truck are tools.

We always use the BIG Q framework at the beginning of every project to set process goals and objectives.

Using the framework do help us avoid open-ended and undefined processes that ultimately lead to "analysis paralysis" and also help us set our boundaries.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:25am On May 11, 2021
n3xt:

You’re actually right on this IMHO. It’s confusing to some clients when I turn down offers and not negotiate.

I’ve arrived at a price point after considering several variables including adding value to the purchase.

Just because client A doesn’t see that value doesn’t mean that client B won’t.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 5:37am On May 11, 2021
Jalofun:
I love this

Thanks bro
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 5:39am On May 11, 2021
Dijita:

Everyone is generally underpaid in Nigeria with the exception of very few like the national assembly and political office holders. There is over supply of labor in almost every facet of the economy.

Is there truly a functional economy for one now to say that there is an over supply of labour in almost every facet?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:38am On May 11, 2021
Dijita:

Is this not what I proposed in the earlier comment that you were against? When I said that the government could set the price of cement to about #2800 and then allow importation for a period to bring than the price whenever the price goes beyond that price level.

You may not be aware of this but the US is an import dependent country in the area of consumer products. In fact majority of the western countries are importing almost all the same products we imports including cars.

Putting our citizens under enormous suffering because we want to build up manufacturing is not the way to go. Any local manufacturing that cannot withstand international competition after more than 10 years is not going to last. The US auto industry suffered serious financial damage in 2008 that the government had to rescue them. They were not building quality cars that can compete internationally because they were enjoying patriotic patronage from US consumers. But when the economy went south and the US consumer purchasing power went with it, the auto industry couldn't ride it out . Japanese car manufacturers were able to ride it out without the support of their government. The US government did not ban the importation of cars during this time. They help the auto industry with loan and loan restructuring but they did not protect them from international competition. After few years they were able to bounce back and start opening previously closed factories.

A Yoruba adage says "whoever you give hoe to will dig toward himself". Any attempt to build local capacity with just carrot without a stick to make sure that the producers did not overly burden the citizens will failed in the nearest future.
Few months ago, I read something similar in the production of rice where those benefiting from the ban on rice importation are taking advantage of the system to the detriment of government intention and the citizens. This lead to smuggling of rice that is of better quality and cheaper than local production at lower price.

Finally, I am going to inform you that Trump didn't banned any products from importation to benefit local production. US even under Trump is a member of WTO. US banned certain products from been imported to US because they alleged China was using Uyghur Muslims as slave labor to manufacture those products. They also ban some companies they alleged were involved in the scheme.

We all want better Nigeria that is a manufacturing giants in Africa. However, we will not get there if the production capacity we are building cannot stand international competition. We will not get there if we are all silent while the system been set up is gridding ordinary men and women to the benefit of connected few

Then we also pegged our fuel price just as the US.
Did the US peg the price of cement? I want to learn.

Can't group the US as an import dependent country though.

As for the consumer products, sure they have some of their consumer products come from China, but if you look deeper, you'd see that majority of these companies importing into the US are owned or co-owned by Americans who took their factories there due to cost of running a factory in America.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2019/09/03/why-american-companies-choose-china-over-everyone-else/?sh=679c698371de

To produce in America, your neck'll almost go off and China have the interest of manufacturing businesses at heart + cheap labor/raw materials etc (The end result meets American standard) .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:19am On May 11, 2021
somehow:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 8:32am On May 11, 2021
somehow:
Then find the answer there. What I said is not rocket science and don't have the luxury to list what is readily available online sir.

luxury hahaha...I asked you this question as an opportunity to correct yourself....but anyways for clarity sake there are according to neiti only four cement manufacturing companies in Nigeria if listed by parent company like

lafarge(elephant
Ashaka Cement
Atlas Cement
Wapco etc

Dangote
Bua
Ccnn(sokoto cement)
Well...all the best....

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:43am On May 11, 2021
If you’re NOT taking advantage of Supafix Tiles Adhesive by Lafarge, you’re really missing a lot

I was offered the same Tile Adhesive in Lagos N3,000 per bag while it is currently sold at N2,000 official price.

Find out why swimming experts are making a s switch to Supafix.

I know some folks will still wait till the price go to N3500 to reach a conclusion on the product and we will start blaming the government, the system, the company and anything and everything along the line.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:58am On May 11, 2021
dongc:

luxury hahaha...I asked you this question as an opportunity to correct yourself....but anyways for clarity sake there are according to neiti only four cement manufacturing companies in Nigeria if listed by parent company like

lafarge(elephant
Ashaka Cement
Atlas Cement
Wapco etc

Dangote
Bua
Ccnn(sokoto cement)
Well...all the best....

Find the rest online. you already mentioned 7, there are more licensed cement manufacturering companies in Nigeria.

Are they producing? Your guess is as good as mine.

So what are you correcting me on?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:59am On May 11, 2021
[quote author=n3xt post=101574564][/quote]This is what I asked him to find out sir.

I don't have power to spoonfeed people sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:09am On May 11, 2021
somehow:
This is what I asked him to find out sir.

I don't have power to spoonfeed people sir.

I know Ogun state alone have more than 4 companies and several plants.

Dangote
Lafarge Holcim / WAPCO
Purechem and other small players.

The owner of magen-roi portland cement (hqtr in Osborne Estate, Lagos) is my former boss.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PAPAFEELERS: 9:24am On May 11, 2021
What are the remedies available to a person when an usurper takes or tries to take over the person land.
What are the means of getting justice against the usurper?

The family sold the land to us as far back as 2017 with family receipts and deed of agreement signed and we did our corner piece and no issue.
Fast forward to 2021 ,all of a sudden an individual wants to fence our land as his and the family said that the land they sold to the individual excludes our land and that the land in question belongs to us.

The individual wanted to use thugs/area boys , we were able to checkmate this. he went and bring Mobile police to the land and we wrote a petition to the police and the police went to the site and told the mobile police men they are on illegal duty and if they know what is good for them,they should leave that site immediately .

The most annoying part is that the individual has been dodging / avoiding the police station rather he sents is lawyer, we too also have a lawyer that goes along with us to the station. the family /omonile have been to the station based on police invitation to state thier own side

The police has scheduled another meeting and told the lawyer to present his principal (individual) for the next meeting

Please i need options/ideas to get justice and compensation for the trespass done as to teach the individual a lesson because he is known for such behaviors of subtle land grabbing

CC: LAST PAGE, NEXT, TWINSKENNY, ROTECH, HAJJI, EGUNMOGAJI ETC

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 9:37am On May 11, 2021
somehow:

Find the rest online. you already mentioned 7, there are more licensed cement manufacturering companies in Nigeria.

Are they producing? Your guess is as good as mine.

So what are you correcting me on?

Smiles...

There only 4 companies that makes cement in Nigeria....neiti issues exyraction licenses to ONLY companies that produces cement.....
As of today they are only four.....

Dangote
Bua
Lafarge
Sokoto cement......

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2188) (2189) (2190) (2191) (2192) (2193) (2194) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kebliss(m), BabaChicago(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.