Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,273 members, 7,818,930 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2189) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4399184 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2186) (2187) (2188) (2189) (2190) (2191) (2192) ... (3669) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EazyMoh(m): 5:53pm On May 09, 2021
n3xt:

There’s no such thing as bad roof but bad installation work.

I’ve been working on a flat roof for almost 3 weeks and we are yet to raise the trusses. The same flat roof can be done in 3 days and we start to blame its failure on the roof design.

______

Pic 1 - Roofing Tarp
Pic 2 - Roof Gutter Drain
Thank you boss.
What do you recommend for the roof overhang? Concrete parapet or the wood type?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:54pm On May 09, 2021
diordaves:

See Next, go back and read that book again (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) and this time read it slowly. No need to rush.

What the book argued is that in the west, your residential home is NOT an asset as you need to pay the mortgage for more than 25 years. That is what the book says. Read it slowly.

However, in Nigeria we build from personal savings (cash), no 25 years mortgage that takes money from our pockets. Any residential home that takes money from the family that owns it is a poorly built house.

In Nigeria, a house built WITHOUT mortgage is an investment. Them who have ears, let them hear especially the diaspora.

Dispora, don't follow this line of argument and live donkey years abroad without a house in your root ( Nigeria) that your child/children can point to with their right hand and say "this is my parents house (investment)".

In conversation like this when we are in a club here drinking, I often hear some diaspora say I can't invest in Nigeria property wise because "how much is the rent sef". Take a long term view. Get for abroad, get for home (root). Tomorrow is pregnant, you don't know what it will deliver. Rabbit wey get one hole no dey last long.

A house is an investment, if you live in it or rent it out. Simply because in most cases it’ll be sold for more than it was purchased for.

1) You probably know this but not everyone in the abroad borrows to build. Though it’s in their best interest to borrow so they can collect the tax benefits.

2) One of the worst mistake I made in my USA sojourn was not looking back towards Nigeria for 20 years after I left. A lot of lost opportunities. Canuck bound folks should listen to you, but they won’t �

3) Abroadians should sha just look at my signature �

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Marthaebi(f): 6:24pm On May 09, 2021
Is it ok to lay four blocks for foundation?
Does it have any negative effect?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 6:41pm On May 09, 2021
diordaves:

See Next, go back and read that book again (Rich Dad, Poor Dad) and this time read it slowly. No need to rush.

What the book argued is that in the west, your residential home is NOT an asset as you need to pay the mortgage for more than 25 years. That is what the book says. Read it slowly.

However, in Nigeria we build from personal savings (cash), no 25 years mortgage that takes money from our pockets. Any residential home that takes money from the family that owns it is a poorly built house.

In Nigeria, a house built WITHOUT mortgage is an investment. Them who have ears, let them hear especially the diaspora.

Dispora, don't follow this line of argument and live donkey years abroad without a house in your root ( Nigeria) that your child/children can point to with their right hand and say "this is my parents house (investment)".

In conversation like this when we are in a club here drinking, I often hear some diaspora say I can't invest in Nigeria property wise because "how much is the rent sef". Take a long term view. Get for abroad, get for home (root). Tomorrow is pregnant, you don't know what it will deliver. Rabbit wey get one hole no dey last long.

We can always agree with this definition of investment because it's defined in pidgin.

grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:48pm On May 09, 2021
uncleteeh:
Our housing system is getting poorer. I will take Oyo State as case study.
Some places that even the colonialist couldn't believe will get developed have become towns in this early century.
For example: Some places where the powerlines run through were considered outskirts of the city then. But now, buildings have been erected all around them.
Here is my concern: The government that hasn't provided enough (infrastructure) for the people in the urban centres (places like Mokola, Challenge, Sango, Agbowó, Molete, Dugbe) how will such extend her development to those sides? (places like Àwòrán, Ajibode extention, Moniya extention and the likes.)
It's a very broad topic for discuss.

Eg: Elebu
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 09, 2021
fabulous85:
hello house, does the size of room determine the size of tile to buy? what do you think is the best tile size for a 4.2 by 6.6 meters bedroom. is it 400 *400, 600 * 600 or are there better options. tgsnks

To your first question, yes, the size of your room should determine the number of tiles to get as you want the whole area covered.

To your second question, it depends on your taste for sizes and quality. 40 x 40 are becoming obsolete in designs, for me 60 x 60 tile should be used.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:07pm On May 09, 2021
EazyMoh:

Thank you boss.
What do you recommend for the roof overhang? Concrete parapet or the wood type?

Fiber Cement Board

http://www.kalsisolutions.com/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 8:14pm On May 09, 2021
Any floor tiles can be installed on the wall,
Though in most cases,it not appropriate to use a "specific tiles"on the floor

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BuildingProject: 9:22pm On May 09, 2021
lastpage:
Let me add my own Ten kobo to the discuss:

You dont really need a Lawyer, if you are willing to calm down and follow the law.
I am saying this because whatever anyone does or says, those that follow the Law will always triumph.

There is nothing wrong in buying a House with Tenants, there are procedures to follow, l have done the same thing not too long ago.

- Once you pay for the House, the transaction is finalised, you wont be getting any money back!
The House is now yours and the Seller owns the money you paid, unless she is willing to BUY BACK the House, from you, as the "Seller", at her own price.

- The problem here is a Tenant (or Tenants) still in tenancy but perhaps unwilling to vacate at the expiration of their tenancy, as demanded by YOU, the New Owner.
True, they have No Agreement with you but the agreement they had with the former Owner, which puts them in "lawful occupation", is now your Agreement (as the new owner).
- The Law requires that a tenant be given a 'minimum number' of Months, as QUIT NOTICE. You obviously have not served such Notice in the PROPER manner. It cant be Verbal, it has to be written and properly dated ('technicality' like that can invalidate it).

- You are even lucky that they have shown their position immediately and not wait till the moment when their rent expires.
The Tenancy Law allows you to serve a Tenant a Quit Notice, within the period of Tenancy but the condition is that such Notice must not expire before the expiration of their Tenancy, it can only end on the date or after the date of Tenancy.

- For a Yearly-paying tenant, they will need SIX Months Quit Notice. For bi-annual Tenants, you will serve THREE Months Quit Notice, for lesser duration of payment, you will serve One Month Notice.

My Advice: Serve them a Quit Notice IMMEDIATELY, if they have less than Six Months left or on the day after their Tenancy remains Six Months (If they pay yearly).
There is nothing you can do about the Six Months Notice, it is the Law.
If you follow the Law, you are protected, dont allow some tenant to rubbish you openly. undecided

- Alternatively, you can invite them to a Meeting and Offer to Refund the "balance of their Rent" in CASH.
If they ALL agree (No point doing it for one, when another will remain behind, ti will still hold you down), Draw-up and "Private Agreement" with them, stating what was agreed and the last day they must be in the House, Include an 'Ouster Clause' that states that "They have willingly agreed to these terms and wish to the bound by it, ousting any other rule or law that may govern such Agreement between the Tenant and Landlord".

The reason for this "Ouster Clause" is to take care of any of them that may collect a Refund and still refuses to leave on the said date, while trying to go to Court. Ordinarily, the Tenancy Law still governs such relationship and the Law DOES NOT allow you to "forcefully eject them" on the agreed date but with the "Ouster Clause", they have submitted to a "private agreement" between the two of you and ousted the tenancy Law from coming into Play, so you can pack their things out without falling foul of "Self Help", since they would have become "Impersonators" in your building, after the agreed date.

-Remember to go an pay "Stamp Duty" on this agreement (about #1,000) and get it stamped at the Court near you. That makes it enforceable in a Law Court, if you need to or defend yourself with it.

- If they refuse to agree to being paid-off, then you have no choice than to serve them the Quit Notice, but ensuring it expires on the date after their Rent expires. Be sure it ends on the "day-after" otherwise the Notice becomes invalid.
If they fail to leave on that day, you have to serve them another "Seven (7) Days Notice" of "Owners Intention to Reclaim Property".

- If they still refuse to move-out at the expiration of that 7days Notice, you go to the nearest District or Magistrate Court (based on the amount involved) and collect a Recovery of Premises Form N. It is a Judge that will give an "Order of Ejection" of the Occupier.

Any Rent owed between the expiration of Tenancy and this Order would also be ordered to be paid by the tenant (Mesne Profit) and the Court Bailiff will effect the Order and throw out the Tenant, including seizing his Properties for Auction, if he does not pay the ordered arrears on the spot.

So, it takes roughly less than 6-Weeks, after the Tenancy has elapsed, to LAWFULLY eject a Tenant who refuses to leave.
It is better to exercise this patience of time, than to fall foul of the Law, which can land a House-owner in Six Months Prison term and Fines. grin grin

Dont buy the story that it takes years to eject an Occupier, that was decades ago, for only those who dont know how to go about it or commit errors that jeopardises their case in court.

Lastpage!

Thanks for the insight. I think I will take this carrot and stick approach

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Pompoms(f): 10:32pm On May 09, 2021
Hello, everyone. Can a building plan be redesigned, even when the foundation+flooring has been done, please?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jumyg: 10:47pm On May 09, 2021
Pompoms:
Hello, everyone. Can a building plan be redesigned, even when the foundation+flooring has been done, please?
Yes, it can.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Omonjoe(m): 10:47pm On May 09, 2021
To the professionals here, please are these doors ok for these purposes;

Italian luxury security door for main entrance

German steel door for kitchen and other outside back door

Virony door for rooms and toilets.

I will so much welcome more moderate alternatives
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by All4good: 10:50pm On May 09, 2021
n3xt:

Thanks for sharing.

Immediately my client saw the post, he rushed to ask me why I didn’t reply the post. I told him it’s nothing to worry about. 10mm glass is more than adequate for a skylight.

33mm + thickness is good for glass floor. Anything higher fall into bullet resistant ballistic glass class.

To even lift the 10mm glass is a great concern right now grin

Hehe he, ahh so your client they supervise you from here.

Sorry my bad. I lost my arithmetic for a while. I was testing my son on his unit conversions when it occurred to me what I had typed here some hours earlier and because I feared someone could make reference to it and make some poor judgement I quickly had to rush back and retract.
Abeg no vex. 1cm thick glass can take some impact as well as resist considerable point load some distance from its support.
That said, it is still glass and breakable, as such you will need to take precautions (safety is the essence of Design) and ensure that there are no Windows overlooking the roof from which someone could drop a phone, plate etc; or a tree that could grow so tall in future and its branch over the glass roof.
Carry on my Brother. I am a safety freak grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Omonjoe(m): 10:52pm On May 09, 2021
Does anyone know the estimate cost of these doors
Italian luxury security door 4ft
German steel door 4ft
Virony room door 4ft
Any supplier within Edo state or that can supply to a site in Ekpoma should let me know
Thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by All4good: 10:58pm On May 09, 2021
Pompoms:

Sure you can change your concept or use of a finished or on-going building at any time. But once the Architects are done redesigning, make sure your structural engineer also redesigns the structural elements. This equally applies even when the changes involves just a small section of an ongoing construction.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 11:31pm On May 09, 2021
get free quote or estimate nos of woods you need for your roofing

2x2

2x3

2x4

2x6

3x4

1x12
Call or whatsapps

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 12:53am On May 10, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by francmoda: 1:38am On May 10, 2021
Hello house!

What is the current price of iron rod/ton.

I'm Planning to buy all I need for my project at once if the price is favourably now or buy in phases if the price will still come down
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 2:06am On May 10, 2021
n3xt:

I hope this is not coming too late.

You can have stonewall installed anywhere you want but the question remains “Are you doing this just to beautify the house? Or to achieve a purpose?”

For me I use stonewalls sparingly on small builds to mesh function and aesthetic and to create a beautiful space that stands the test of time.

If it was me, I’ll use the stone bricks like below. I’ll do more if it was a storey building. I so much detest rain splash on walls.
/
My sentiment exactly.

/

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 4:04am On May 10, 2021
francmoda:
Hello house!

What is the current price of iron rod/ton.

I'm Planning to buy all I need for my project at once if the price is favourably now or buy in phases if the price will still come down
here's what I will tell you, buy everything you need if you have the money now. Price may slightly drop but it will be eaten up by rise in other materials
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 4:28am On May 10, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 5:47am On May 10, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

A house is an investment, if you live in it or rent it out. Simply because in most cases it’ll be sold for more than it was purchased for.

1) You probably know this but not everyone in the abroad borrows to build. Though it’s in their best interest to borrow so they can collect the tax benefits.

2) One of the worst mistake I made in my USA sojourn was not looking back towards Nigeria for 20 years after I left. A lot of lost opportunities. Canuck bound folks should listen to you, but they won’t �

3) Abroadians should sha just look at my signature �

Exactly... Robert deceived so many people with his motivanal talks.
How can he say it isn't an asset. I got a property for 9m about 18 month's ago. Spent close to 12m building it. Now I'm been offered 40m yet I ignored. Will bank pay me such?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:49am On May 10, 2021
All4good:

Hehe he, ahh so your client they supervise you from here.

Sorry my bad. I lost my arithmetic for a while. I was testing my son on his unit conversions when it occurred to me what I had typed here some hours earlier and because I feared someone could make reference to it and make some poor judgement I quickly had to rush back and retract.
Abeg no vex. 1cm thick glass can take some impact as well as resist considerable point load some distance from its support.
That said, it is still glass and breakable, as such you will need to take precautions (safety is the essence of Design) and ensure that there are no Windows overlooking the roof from which someone could drop a phone, plate etc; or a tree that could grow so tall in future and its branch over the glass roof.
Carry on my Brother. I am a safety freak grin

That’s the essence of building in the public eye. One project, over 200m technical advisors grin

On the flip side, the glass will be installed on the roof over the atrium and all safety precautions have been factored into the design.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 7:32am On May 10, 2021
Pompoms:
Sure, it's easier if the structure is a bungalow.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:59am On May 10, 2021
uncleteeh:

Sure, it's easier if the structure is a bungalow.

And if it's a multi storey building it will be what!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrDraey(m): 10:49am On May 10, 2021
Good day all,

Please can 1m take a 2bedroom bungalow from foundation to finishing of block work (2bed, two toilet, dining and kitchen)?

Note; No German floor, the land is a 50 x 50 ft, flat ground and not water logged.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 11:20am On May 10, 2021
Marthaebi:
Is it ok to lay four blocks for foundation?
Does it have any negative effect?

It's very okay to lay four courses of block but make sure that this height is higher than your road level so you don't have issues of flooding in the future.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 11:24am On May 10, 2021
Pompoms:

Yes it can. If you already have a structural drawing, you can make the redesign to tally with the structural drawing or do new one if the design does not tally with it.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aforxzy(f): 11:28am On May 10, 2021
signature2012:
Who can supply over 100 bags of cement?
Location is Sango Ota.
Give me a quote with your price.
Thanks.

I need 300bags too.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:31am On May 10, 2021
MrDraey:
Good day all,

Please can 1m take a 2bedroom bungalow from foundation to finishing of block work (2bed, two toilet, dining and kitchen)?

Note; No German floor, the land is a 50 x 50 ft, flat ground and not water logged.

This is Kajola #1 - N1.6M pre Covid. Kajola #2 was N2M post Covid.

Kajola is 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom smartflats joined together. So effectively a 4 bedroom.

I don't think it can be done but where there's a will, then there's a way. Maybe you collect your own sand from gutter/road/street, fetch water from nearby street/pothole, mould your own blocks, your Sisters Cousin Aunties friends will sell you cement at cost or even discounted, you'll use church/moshalashi free labor grin

Good luck on your project.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by uncleteeh(m): 11:43am On May 10, 2021
bixton:

And if it's a multi storey building it will be what!!!
Not easy.
The redesign might affect the structural aspect which will require some adjustments to the foundation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 12:32pm On May 10, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

This is Kajola #1 - N1.6M pre Covid. Kajola #2 was N2M post Covid.

Kajola is 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom smartflats joined together. So effectively a 4 bedroom.

I don't think it can be done but where there's a will, then there's a way. Maybe you collect your own sand from gutter/road/street, fetch water from nearby street/pothole, mould your own blocks, your Sisters Cousin Aunties friends will sell you cement at cost or even discounted, you'll use church/moshalashi free labor grin

Good luck on your project.

Akinri eyin agbalagba nita. grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2186) (2187) (2188) (2189) (2190) (2191) (2192) ... (3669) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: RockOfAgesAlumi(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.