Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,484 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2261) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4396158 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2258) (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) (2264) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 11:38pm On Jun 13, 2021
jiday4:

Can't you keep quiet for once and let the issue be resolve. Haba . Solution you no get , to me you just making noise awon fire 2 geng

U ok? Wat ur own solu2i? I not the only one talking here .

I propose genuine apology, from rotecch77 to bigtee, and both online now know what I have solution to their problems, what is your solution below look at what rotecch77 said to bigtee
rotecch77:

Thanks you all I really appreciate you people
Actually it’s not in my DNA to talk too much on issue as this, once I made my point i move.
But to be candid I have told him sorry on whatzap chart (actully my conversation with cleint is confidential ) but he said no that he need to come public to post it.

Any way I believed NOBODY IS PARAGON we learn everyday.

@bigitie I’m sorry again.

Thank you all
I rely appreciate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rajput4real93: 11:49pm On Jun 13, 2021
BiigTee:
He wasn't even there during the casting.. He also didn't tell me ahead that he won't be there!

I have contracted Rotech for a reconstruction work and i can say the following about him:
1. Rotech is an INVETERATE liar. He will breach documented agreements, even with a damning evidence
2. He is fond of using apprentice without supervision
3. Rotech will intentionally mislead you with a wrong advice, in order to lessen his work.
It was when i threatened to call him out here that he refunded part of my money.
I even reported him to two persons here
Never mind how most people tend to portray themselves here. It's a different ball game outside here

20 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 13, 2021
rotecch77:

Actually it’s not in my DNA to talk too much on issue as this, once I made my point i move.
But to be candid I have told him sorry on whatzap chart (actully my conversation with cleint is confidential ) but he said no that he need to come public to post it.

Thank you all
I rely appreciate

sorry no go pay for the loses. how u go remedy the situation in Naira?

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by babadots: 12:00am On Jun 14, 2021
rotecch77:

Thank you all
I rely appreciate

@rotecch77

On a good day, I would just read this post and move on quietly, but I just felt the need to point out that we are all human and liable to make mistakes. Mistakes are pardonable, and should be when the actor is genuinely remorseful.

You are a long standing member of this forum and a hitherto reputable one at that, but you did let yourself down on this particular issue. This reeks more of incompetence than it does of an error. You may have aggravated it by arguing that you take the number of blockwork courses as the basis for establishing the level of formwork on a building that was erected by some unknown 'barber' or 'tailor'.

You should have established the planned upper floor level independently on taking over the project. To not do that is, at best, negligent, but to argue that this is standard professional practice is dubious.

Ideally, your construction company should be insured against this kind of problem, but as we all know, nobody at this level purchases professional indemnity insurance.

My proposal for resolution is that you privately approach @BiigTee and resolve the issue. You will have to offer some form of financial compensation, even if it is less than the N1m plus that your client has apparently spent in rectification.

I am afraid, saying "sorry" a million times will not pacify your client. Please approach him and resolve it amicably. You have a name to protect and your team hasn't done your reputation any good on this occasion. Don't drag it in public.

@BiigTee, I understand how you feel, but please don't curse him, this is a professional relationship and should be resolved professionally. Your most threatening problem at the moment is not @rotecch77's error. You actually need a certified engineer to review the adopted solution as suggested by @n3xt. You have added more load on a supposedly weak slab. That could be a problem for the future. I suggest you do not ignore that advice.

Please respond to @rotecch77 when he approaches you and get an amicable resolution. God will replenish your loss.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:03am On Jun 14, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

For you maybe. For me Architect as I typed.

Lol. People do not know that architects are the head in a construction projects. Every other person on that project is answerable to them. Well, this is the case in saner climes.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 14, 2021
Dwanay:
You can always trust the process...pls call for your tiling service

make una dey try do clean work. una no dey see as oyibo people dey tile their own spaces? Attention to details would take any artisan further than experience.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 12:33am On Jun 14, 2021
30tons Sharp Sand
Lagos, Nigeria.
@₦120,000(Odo Ogun)
@₦110,000(Lagos Sand)
Lekki Ajah @₦90,000

30tons Granite
Lagos, Nigeria
@₦230,000

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 1:50am On Jun 14, 2021
Rotech77 Arbo contractor! , we have seen ur apology but it doesn't change anything.. How much are u ready to refund from the 1.2m spent correcting ur mess? Words are Empty.. I have reached out to u for more than a week now hoping u would do the needful.. And even sent u the quotation of what was spent there..

You might think 1.2m is too big a sum to pay.. But know that I won't stop here until all ur clients and potential clients see what u have done... At the end of the day.. Let's see who the biggest loser is!

rotecch77:

Thank you all
I rely appreciate

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 1:51am On Jun 14, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BiigTee: 1:55am On Jun 14, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:31am On Jun 14, 2021
djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

Lol. People do not know that architects are the head in a construction projects. Every other person on that project is answerable to them. Well, this is the case in saner climes.

Don’t mind them.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:28am On Jun 14, 2021
babadots:

You are a long standing member of this forum and a hitherto reputable one at that, but you did let yourself down on this particular issue. This reeks more of incompetence than it does of an error. 1 You may have aggravated it by arguing that you take the number of blockwork courses as the basis for establishing the level of formwork on a building that was erected by some unknown 'barber' or 'tailor'.

2You should have established the planned upper floor level independently on taking over the project. To not do that is, at best, negligent, but to argue that this is standard professional practice is dubious.

Your points are very valid.

1. The client won’t need to engage a professional to handle the slab if he’s confident the team that raised the ground floor blockwork can do a good job.

2. Establishing levels prior to take over could have save the day. So I think rotecch77 should admit the error here and offer an amicable resolution.

If the fix was recently applied as posited, it’s not too late to make amends.

_________

I’m currently working on a project that requires different levels for all the 9 buildings we are constructing. Myself and client did all we can to ensure that we take care of all the guessworks on paper before moving to site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hatesin: 4:59am On Jun 14, 2021
Homextras:

While I may not have the full details of what has transpired in this transaction, I will refrain from passing judgment until Rotech comes to share his side. However, sending someone to come check out your claims is a big NO NO. He should have been there himself regardless of schedule.

I dislike when I give a professional a job and he collects money into his account but sends someone.

I laugh whenever I see this word "professional" on this property section

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 5:29am On Jun 14, 2021
diordaves:

To be honest, some of these things are not that so very much expensive. Just source and buy wisely. One needs the purpose of mind to invest in one's business and grow the business. Any meaningful POP business should have a multi purpose ladder/scaffold.

Nigerian workmen and women are notorious in not investing back into their businesses. So you meet a relatively successful POP installer, for years, they are still at the same rudimentary level. Little growth. Not a single tool or equipment of the trade own.

But I must say, people like @Next dey try small sha, despite it all. If you are a tradesperson, there is nothing like investing in ancillary trade equipment. If you have a job or quoting for a job, you give your client options to hire at a competitive rate from you or they provide or quote at a certain rate per sqm and offer scaffold "free". And you can also do equipment hire as another channel of income when things dry with POP.

No be only one road enter market.

Thanks a lot. I would take this great advice (insight) to heart & Sincerely work on it. By God's Grace.

Na true Talk.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 5:30am On Jun 14, 2021
n3xt:

Money well spent

True.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 5:35am On Jun 14, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Or as pictured but my hand no dey o. Make God no let us register for Igbobi grin

grin. Amin oo

Baba God bless you jare.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 5:45am On Jun 14, 2021
BiigTee:
I would love to thank every Esteemed member that has mediated in this case.. May ur river of wisdom never run dry! We would all be witness to how this all plays out..

You are welcome sir

Amen to your prayer for all of us, it will play out well in Jesus name
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 5:46am On Jun 14, 2021
n3xt:

1. The client won’t need to engage a professional to handle the slab if he’s confident the team that raised the ground floor blockwork can do a good job.

2. Establishing levels prior to take over could have save the day. So I think rotecch77 should admit the error here and offer an amicable resolution.

_________

I’m currently working on a project that requires different levels for all the 9 buildings we are constructing. Myself and client did all we can to ensure that we take care of all the guessworks on paper before moving to site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 5:52am On Jun 14, 2021
Chekitaut:
30tons Sharp Sand
Lagos, Nigeria.
@₦120,000(Odo Ogun)
@₦110,000(Lagos Sand)
Lekki Ajah @₦90,000

30tons Granite
Lagos, Nigeria
@₦230,000
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 5:54am On Jun 14, 2021
n3xt:

_________

Thanks you brother
We are into this game for some times now.

As I said earlier and more info about the said building, looking at the building all last course.
of the building are leveled you won’t notice diff of 5” slight bent of this building In sittingroom side area. ( pics attached above )

But the client said 9” which is not true
This is what happened the new man he called take another floor level from side B with( well leveled area ) with thickness of 3” now coming gradually to slightly slope area with now end at 8-9” which simple means the slope is just 4-5” as I said earlier.at sittingroom area ( the 3” increases the level thickness to 8-9” as he quoted)

I even told him that when its time to lay tiles this level can be corrected.

But where I’m I going as I said I’m not a fan of too much talk.
The Total money paid me for all my work on that site is N100,000 as supervisions payment ( other Payment N500,000 is for Labour ( Carpenter, plumbing, electrical, casting etc)
With all the wahala with OMONILE treating us with us charm and gun. ( if see how they are performing that day you will pity us)

But just to END all this
I want to know how much he spent on the slope level ONLY

Edit
I have work on many building finishing with diff level slab and we corrected them mostly while laying tiles.

Look at this building we handled for a client here at ajah area few years back.

The initial person who did the ground floor and some other part of the building before we are called did a diff slab level and we corrected it while laying tiles (diff level of about 3-6” in diff area.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:58am On Jun 14, 2021
Mo wa pelu alaafia cool

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dwanay(m): 6:13am On Jun 14, 2021
Boss it is cleaned...thats factory edges..if you check well...we don't do dirty job
djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

make una dey try do clean work. una no dey see as oyibo people dey tile their own spaces? Attention to details would take any artisan further than experience.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:36am On Jun 14, 2021
Dwanay:
Boss it is cleaned...thats factory edges..if you check well...we don't do dirty job

that place is not tody. look at the first pic.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by iammarvellux(m): 6:37am On Jun 14, 2021
For Apartments and all..

Hit the link below for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/205890310163981/posts/1004040877015583/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BashyBuilds: 6:37am On Jun 14, 2021
hslbroker2:
u will get call soon
Thanks for ur encouraging may lord be with you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 6:55am On Jun 14, 2021
Just for educational purpose only pls don't reference my view to d discussion,

Well I have discussed vibration here few months , its a structural issue which the designer may have check for

user of a structure are sensitive to vibration than others even though all structure vibrate but there's permissible allowance for this before u can feel it.

If the person feeling this vibration is not comfortable with it the mind can never be at rest even if a structural engineer carry out all assessment and assure nothing is wrong.

This will then call for some investigation by first viewing structural member how slender are they , checking the design and some construction pictures if available. Reinforcement etc

Then if all this check and it conforms its now the engineer decision according to design philosophy to load the structure lightly because this one is heavily loaded except the new person prob your foundation to ascertain well .. To be cont'd

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:12am On Jun 14, 2021
n3xt:

_________

On one of your post you talked about the change in levels on different points on the slab decking. What could your reason for such and is it done on certain specific areas on the build?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nero2424: 7:14am On Jun 14, 2021
rotecch77:

Thank you all
I rely appreciate

Rotech, try and engage qualified workers in your projects. You are the reason I don't like anyone telling me "am a professional" you will not get different results by doing same old same. If you don't have qualified hands at the time of accepting a job, it's better you don't even take the job.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Amastermovic(m): 7:22am On Jun 14, 2021
Amastermovic:
.. To be cont'd

This vibration does it come from foot load traffic and have u try to also observe the structure when heavy vehicle pass through your site road as well ..

the new guy approach is quite expensive (assumption) because I dont know how the building is scheme it may be d best

using mesh and addition thickness of 50mm to the slab couple with finishes of tiles chairs table bed etc etc will reduce d vibration .

What I'm just trying to say is while dragging your contractor you may likely need to drag ur designer a little because d reason you paid 4 is rest of mind ..

Contractor as well should have an in house person to quickly help them check the design before they commence with construction ..

check should be carry out for as built structure before you proceed , some as built work can land u in problem big one.

or you should have posted this for long maybe a easy fix will be suggested .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 7:27am On Jun 14, 2021
To be candid, the variation in level isn't so much an issue, it easily can be corrected.
The vibration of the slab is the major problem which ordinarily could have been tackled by intersecting 2 drop down beams at areas with large spans. Unfortunately it may not have been indicated in the design.
The staircase in question doesn't look good too, I don't think the stair waist is sufficient enough to support it. If possible support with a column at the midpoint.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:45am On Jun 14, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks you brother
We are into this game for some times now.

I have work on many building finishing with diff level slab and we corrected them mostly while laying tiles.

Look at this building we handled for a client here at ajah area few years back.

The initial person who did the ground floor and some other part of the building before we are called did a diff slab level and we corrected it while laying tiles (diff level of about 3-6” in diff area.

I knew what’s at play here and there’s no way I’d try to explain this without sounding insensitive to the issue at hand.

Few weeks back, someone asked a question on my thread and I shared this post below.

n3xt:

DUNKA:
Brabus Please if a builder is to build just the carcass while another person is too complete the interior and finish the building at what stage would the handover be?

Kindly ensure the builder deliver the plastering stage to avoid double expenses.

This means that the builder must handle:

- window installations
- door frames installations
- plastering of the walls (internal/externals)
- internal conduits

A lot of issues raised by 3strike were caused by the fact that the builder was no longer on the project. Most subtrades/artisans capitalizes on this to rip off unsuspecting home owners especially those unavailable to directly supervise their projects.

Here’s a very good example. I will never have placed planks on the damaged roof during plastering because I fully understand the consequence.
Another contractor plastering the house won’t damn the consequence because he can easily blame it on the person who did the roofing.

Also, during construction stage, there are lots of hidden and uncompleted works that only the builder who started the work from the scratch can identify (eg plumbings). If he’s allowed to walk away before you do your internal plumbings, you might run into problems and end up spending twice on the same job.

There are many more.

A builder can be fired if he messes up or he lacks experience.
However, I’ll always recommend that homeowners/contractors should find a way to manage construction complaints/challenges amicably as failure to do so do both parties more good than harm.

Before handing over, always ensure that an experienced consultant double check the job and ensure that everything is satisfactorily delivered.

Some people/contractor are so hungry that the only thing they’d be looking for on a project is the fault of other contractors and they’d make the issue look like heaven is going to crash if something is not done urgently.

Also clients need to take my advice above serious when working with busy contractors to avoid being ripped off by unsuspecting and hungry contractors.

_________

That aside, please kindly work with the client offline to find an amicable resolution and always ensure that critical stage of work are personally supervised by you (especially the concrete pour).

I’m sure if you did you’d have spotted the issue during the concrete pour and put the clients mind at rest.

The most important of this profession is supervision which must be done right. Delegation doesn’t offload accountability.

Good morning and Happy New Week.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (2258) (2259) (2260) (2261) (2262) (2263) (2264) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: agoro2u, DFAMEGUY11S(m), Theanchor, waley007(m), AjiBussu(m), VanuatuWycombe and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.