Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,589 members, 7,812,914 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:24 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2296) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4377321 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2293) (2294) (2295) (2296) (2297) (2298) (2299) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:30pm On Jun 30, 2021
diordaves:

Of course, you are comfortable with your design. This is just academic.

For me, toilets should either open directly into a living room or balcony. All fall into the ghetto analogy. The challenge your architect had (and @nannmcphee as well) is not introducing FOYER. This is the design trick with visitors' toilets. If you must introduce VT, introduce a FOYER and put the toilet in the FOYER. This way, the toilet will neither open directly into the living room nor the balcony. See the designs (Photos) attached and notice the use of FOYER with regards to VT.

With your design and @nannymcphee, visitors step into the living room straight from the ENTRY PORCH. This is old school. Visitors should first step into the FOYER from the ENTRY PORCH before accessing the living room. So you put the toilet in the FOYER.

I disagree.

The architect designed to my exacting specifications. I don’t need a foyer for compact SmartFlats. I’m building something that will give someone the feel of an American Extended Stay Hotel.

The VT is an option that doesn’t even exist in some plans. A mid century portable room divider is part of the future decor since my flats will be rented fully furnished.

All these has been thought out. I actually prefer old school wink

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 4:55pm On Jun 30, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

For the 4X4, assuming thick imported and quality accessories, sliding net with embedded burglary, how much should I expect to pay?

Thanks.
Good afternoon boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 5:02pm On Jun 30, 2021

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:21pm On Jun 30, 2021
RockOfAgesAlumi:

Good afternoon boss

Hello Oga Mi.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:32pm On Jun 30, 2021
Oga @KolaShangOne if you can share, please is there a place in Ibadan where I can get ready made door frames for immediate pickup?

Also, how much are you builders paying?

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 5:40pm On Jun 30, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Hello Oga Mi.
Boss, I didn't hear anything about the window?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:44pm On Jun 30, 2021
RockOfAgesAlumi:

Boss, I didn't hear anything about the window?

You answered my question Oga Mi.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by oluwapoju(m): 5:47pm On Jun 30, 2021
How Much Would It Cost To Drill A 150m Borehole In Abk.
I also needs advice on this geophysical survey report

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 5:48pm On Jun 30, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

You answered my question Oga Mi.
Okay sir thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:52pm On Jun 30, 2021
michlins:
singles (3ft) are 34,000 and doubles(4ft) are 42,000
cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 7:28pm On Jun 30, 2021
Paras011:
How to Find Professional Architects for Building your House

The journey to building your dream home starts with a professional architect who is capable of incorporating your goals, specifications and needs into quality designs. The architect should be able to bring your dream home to life by taking your ideas from imagination to the drawing board, creating a design that is tailored to you and considering all possible obstacles so that you sail through the planning stage and move forward to the building stage.

Also, the architect should be close to you for easy access, and to advise you on the construction. After all, what they design will be the place you call home – so choosing the right architect for you is perhaps one of the most important decisions you’ll make.

It seems quite easy to get an architect as there are many self-acclaimed architects around. The arduous task is getting a professional architect who ticks all the boxes above. It is, however, not a challenge that you cannot surmount.

The first step to getting an architect who knows their onions is to understand the roles, responsibilities, functions, and tasks of an architect in the construction process. The responsibilities of a professional architect span the entire construction process – it is not a one-off thing.

Role and Responsibilities of a Professional Architect

Architects perform various roles and responsibilities in the construction process. They design, plan the project and are responsible for the visual appearance of all construction projects. In the modern world, they are regarded as highly qualified and educated professionals who are registered members of a national professional body. Having gone through all relevant professional training requirements and passed the qualifying examinations, architects are given licenses to operate legally.

Architects collaborate with civil engineers, building contractors and other professionals to carry out and deliver designs. Their duties span through all the phases of the construction process from the initiation, meetings to the actual construction phase. They are contacted and appointed by individual, corporate or governmental clients, based on the type of project to be embarked on. Projects are delivered according to the needs of the clients and specifications set in the contracts.

Responsibilities of an Architect before Construction

An architect performs the following functions before the commencement of the project. These functions are prerequisites to the actual construction.

Project discussion
When a construction project is conceived by a client, an architect comes in to discuss the goals of the project with them. The architect researches land use codes, does budget analysis, schedule, and come up with design ideas and considerations. The architect also holds meetings and discussions with a team of building engineering professionals for the approval of the design, consideration of the client’s requirements, expected budget, site characteristics, as well as safety and required regulations.

Drawing
Architects incorporate the client’s goals and needs into some rough designs, clearly indicating the pros and cons of each option. A lot of revisions and re-drawings take place in order to add changes warranted by client’s needs, budget, regulations and feedbacks from engineers. After a design option has been selected, with all information pertaining to size, layout, and materials. Architects also draw 3D views to make the drawing clear and understandable. The design instructions and technical specifications must be created with other technical documents for contractors.

Seek bids
After the final designs, bids and proposals are submitted by contractors. The proposals of the bidding contractors are compared and contrasted to pave way for the creation of cost estimates and timeframe of the project.

Selection of contracts
Architects are sometimes involved in analysis and reports of contract bids by comparing them with the client’s budget and expectations.

Cost estimation
Architects visualize the project with their creative designs and create cost estimates. Cost estimation is done together with building contractors and engineers so that there will not be an underestimation of cost of materials needed and other payments.

Building permit
Architects prepare and submit their drawings to regulatory agencies to obtain permit. They also work with builders so as to provide relevant information requested for the review processes.

Responsibilities of an Architect during Construction

The duties carried out by architects during the construction stage include:

Interpretation of drawings
Architects interpret the drawing for the building contractor to give them a better understanding of the design needs and the quality expected. They also work with the builder to ensure that the project is delivered on time and within budget.

Project review
Architects meet regularly on construction sites to review the work done to ensure that the execution follows the plans and address any issue that arises. They discuss subsequent scheduled construction items with the builder so that the materials needed, and other issues relating to building codes, interpretation of information are carried out.

Evaluation
Architects work with the builder to evaluate the best ways to achieve a quality project that meets standards within the budget created. They help the builder understand and execute the right information portrayed in the design in order to protect the client’s investment in designs and construction costs, as well as the safety of the users.

How to Get Professional Architects

The enormous nature and importance of the tasks architects are saddled within construction coupled with the adverse effects hiring an amateur architect will have on the project and your investment is the reason why you should hire an architect who is not only qualified but also highly skilled and experienced in all the tasks above.

But how do you know a professional architect and do can you get one? To start with, you should consider the following qualities.

Academic and Professional Qualifications
You cannot take away the place of academic and professional qualifications when looking for an architect. A professional architect is first and foremost one who has gone through proper and relevant training, both theoretical and practical. Also, he or she should also have a professional qualification or certification as an active member of a recognized professional body. Hiring an architect with this quality will give you the assurance that you are in safe hands.

Creativity
A professional architect is one who possesses extraordinary creativity and productivity – that’s what modern architecture is all about. He should have the ability to design state-of-the-art structures that will defy the boundaries of aesthetics and quality.

Impeccable Design, Artistic, Drawing and Technical Skills
Hire an architect with amazing design skills who can design aesthetically appealing, viable and practical structures. Such architects should have the wherewithal of the latest technology and architectural tools, software, and drafting techniques.

Communication and Collaboration Skills
One of the truth revealed by the tasks enunciated above is that architects have to work with other disciplines engineers, builders, contractors and other. They must communicate well and collaborate for the successful completion of the project. They must be trained to work in a team environment to carry out work within everyone easily.

So, hire an architect whose team spirit is second-to-none. He should be able to communicate his ideas, plans and thoughts to you and other workers on the team

Negotiation Skills
Professional architects are able to clearly communicate with their clients as well as the interior designers, engineers and staff with whom they work. They share their visions and ideas for a particular design with excellent negotiation and communication skills.

Problem-solving Skills
Professional architects know how to address the problem and come up with possible solutions. They can suspect problems beforehand and re-prepared in a way to solve them easily.

Final Words

Working with an architect that meets all the requirements boxes above will not only help bring your dream design to life but also give you enough assurance, peace of mind, and security on your investment.

You should take advantage of our Let’s Build Together programme. It gives you an opportunity to find professional architects close to you easily and FREE of charge online. All you have to do is provide your name and phone number. A list of registered architects around you will be displayed. Click here to learn more.
Kudos for this write up sir.
You have written a lot but I think something is still missing and that is "how does a prospective building owner recognise a qualified or licensed Architect".
I feel you have not actually done justice to the question posed.
Most clients do not even know who a qualified or a licensed Architect is.
If one parades himself or herself to be qualified, how do I verify?
If one claims to be a chartered Architect, how do I verify.
NB being qualified and licensed or Chartered are two different thing entirely.
Thanks sir.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Hebest064: 8:14pm On Jun 30, 2021
Nigeria used IVECO tipping truck FOR SALE
Perfectly working

Manufacturer: IVECO
Type: 10 tyre (6×4)
Price : #4.7m
Negotiable: Yes
WhatsApp: 08165887324

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 9:22pm On Jun 30, 2021
Are you sure that Architects are trained in cost estimation as you stated below?

That's what Quantity Surveyors are trained for.

Paras011:

[b]Cost estimation
Architects visualize the project with their creative designs and create cost estimates. Cost estimation is done together with building contractors and engineers so that there will not be an underestimation of cost of materials needed and other payments.[/b]

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 9:44pm On Jun 30, 2021
Person2person:

55,000 with frame and Architraves.

No lock, No installation, No sub-frame

Call or wasap 08063073913

How much inclusive of the locks and installation?

What do u mean by sub frame?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:54pm On Jun 30, 2021
Upon inquiry, I was taken to a door importer in Onitsha, and these are the doors he has for sale. Doors made with treated wood. Costs about 35k with frames.

I was about to order 40 sets when he told me the doors are temporarily out of stock.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by multikolour(m): 10:31pm On Jun 30, 2021
spyder880:
Upon inquiry, I was taken to a door importer in Onitsha, and these are the doors he has for sale. Doors made with treated wood. Costs about 35k with frames.

I was about to order 40 sets when he told me the doors are temporarily out of stock.
this door for 35k is good and the aesthetic of the house will be fine

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 11:35pm On Jun 30, 2021
Ladies and gentleman's, suddenly SON just woke up from their slumber to their responsibility

https://autoreportng.com/2021/06/son-shuts-steel-factories-in-ikorodu.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 3:24am On Jul 01, 2021
spyder880:

I like this a lot.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by InvertedHammer: 4:14am On Jul 01, 2021
Hebest064:
Perfectly working

/
Does this look like it belongs to LKQ pick-a-part?

cc Egunmogaji2, AngelicBeing

/

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 6:17am On Jul 01, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/

/

Oga mi, in obodo Nigeria this is in near new condition grin

We’re only alive in Nigeria by the grace of God.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Person2person(m): 8:05am On Jul 01, 2021
neduboo:

How much inclusive of the locks and installation?

What do u mean by sub frame?

You will need sub frame installed as shown in the picture 1 if you are to use hdf flush door. but if you are to use the wooden frame as shown in pic 2, you won't need sub-frame as the wooden frame is firm enough to withstand the weight of the door.

Door with locks and installation 65k

08063073913 for more enquirues

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 01, 2021
Pls ogas,what's the current price of nigerite roofing slate
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Joniph(m): 8:24am On Jul 01, 2021
sgtponzihater1:

Cost?

asking price 5.5m

its negotiable. thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bukolo: 8:56am On Jul 01, 2021
following
amosblisz:

What's the name of this wc and how much is it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 9:02am On Jul 01, 2021
InvertedHammer:

/

/

Chairman, who on mic give you ? grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tonee45: 9:04am On Jul 01, 2021
Can one start building a 3 bedroom bungalow with N2m, and how far would it go? Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 10:09am On Jul 01, 2021
Hello,

How many tonnes is that bucket currently on it?
Is the engine capable of driving and tipping a larger bucket if upgraded?

Where is the location of this truck for inspection?

cc: @checkitaut any word on this? interest in sourcing a dump truck still remains, given the right numbers.

Hebest064:
Perfectly working

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:23am On Jul 01, 2021
spyder880:

Oga mi, hmmmmm, so you're not going to use those noisy steel doors on this project? Must be a sophisticated owner grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 11:17am On Jul 01, 2021
Any structural engineer in the house kindly Whatsapp me for structural drawings.

https:///message/H6PSFGURKGQGE1 or call the number on the signature
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 12:01pm On Jul 01, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Oga mi, in obodo Nigeria this is in near new condition grin

We’re only alive in Nigeria by the grace of God.
@ InvertedHammer, Hmmm, I defer to EgunMogaji2 to respond, he is the crown prince of Ibadan, the car enthusiasts on nairaland.com, car guru, motorcycle, ship, airplane and space craft engineer and currently he is the chairman of private land developers in Nigeria headquartered in Abuja and offices all over Nigeria with 500 luxury properties owned by EgunMogaji2 cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by neduboo(m): 12:27pm On Jul 01, 2021
Person2person:

You will need sub frame installed as shown in the picture 1 if you are to use hdf flush door. but if you are to use the wooden frame as shown in pic 2, you won't need sub-frame as the wooden frame is firm enough to withstand the weight of the door.

Door with locks and installation 65k

08063073913 for more enquirues

I will keep in touch. Are u based in Lagos?

(1) (2) (3) ... (2293) (2294) (2295) (2296) (2297) (2298) (2299) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Danieljobb(m), Masterbiodun, RockOfAgesAlumi(m), ATPx and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.