Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,505 members, 7,826,907 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:38 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3664) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4421556 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) (3666) (3667) ... (3673) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chichilas: 9:11pm On Apr 28
Aforxzy:
I do not support additional floor(s) during construction stage without structural redesign and checks to confirm the suitability of the members.
However since this floor is to support the solar panels only , you don’t need 20mm bars for the columns, instead use 16mm as your second to roof level columns reinforcements and also ensure that you stiffen the panels with reinforced concrete beams.

Let your structural engineer design the roof slab and beam, the thickness of your slab should be at least 150mm (6inches) or as designed by the engineer.

Thank youb
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chichilas: 9:12pm On Apr 28
dannie007:
Your Structural Engineer is Correct! All you need is a good Concrete mix ratio and a Good Iron Bender who is Experienced to handle the reinforcement steel. Most especially the stirrup need to have a Hook to hold the 16mm Rods in the pillars to withstand Load Bearing.

Thank you

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnMyHonor: 9:39pm On Apr 28
TeetoBolt:
Guys I need your help, my engineer is telling me that my foundation will be this tall due to swampy area, I am scared of the amount I will spend, any suggestions please

Have you considered doing "Pilling".. and then put a Floating Raft on the Piles, as foundation?
Let your Architect/Engineer explore that option and then compare the Cost.
Even that height in the picture, will still sink/settle down, if the ground is very soft.
Foundation is of utmost importance when building, do not spare Cost, at this stage please.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Adedward(m): 9:54pm On Apr 28
GOOD EVENING HOUSE,

WE ARE CURRENTLY IN IBADAN AS USUAL, FOR WHAT WE CALLED FOR,

GREY MATERIALS
16MM IRON,
5MM GLASSES

DELIVERED AND INSTALLED,

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 7:56am On Apr 29
Dear clients

For safety sake don’t do heavy pop design under deck! Make it moderate!

Make sure you use the right materials as well to avoid story like the one in this video

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6UalToMrtF/?igsh=MXZxbXB3aTFnYzgwMQ==

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Balistic4: 11:33am On Apr 29
bolu1986:
Dear clients

Make sure you use the right materials as well to avoid story like the one in this video

I think Polystyrene pop will be better in this case since it is way lighter. I am really considering using it for my house, except in the kitchen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by inze(m): 12:23pm On Apr 29
bolu1986:
Dear clients

. . . not to mention plenty lights fittings + Chandeliers add to the load

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:34pm On Apr 29
bolu1986:
Dear clients

How do you fix yours?

The best practice for decking is to nog the decking with 2×4 or 4×4 and attach/tie the pop to the noggin instead of gumming it direct to the decking. It is a lot of work noggin a decking but it is worth it on safety grounds.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by housepaiinting1(m): 12:35pm On Apr 29
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:52pm On Apr 29
SMARTCELL DISTILLED WATER & ELECTROLYTES NOW IN STOCK!!

We are still committed to giving you the best quality of distilled water in the industry...

Join us in our price slash promo .. We look forward to working with you

Distilled water 25 Litres = N13,000 PER 25L GALLON (Selling with free 25L black Gallon)(BUY 2 GALLONS & GET 5L FREE)

Distilled water 25 Litres = N15,000 PER 25L GALLON (Selling with free 25L white Gallon)(BUY 2 GALLONS & GET 5L FREE)

Distilled water 5 Litres = N3,500 (Selling with free 5L gallon) (PROMO: BUY 12 units get 2 free)

Distilled water 1 Litre (Dozen pack) = N9,000 (PROMO: BUY 12 packs & get 1 free)

Hydrometer = N7,000

Electrolyte 5L = N4,000

Electrolyte 25 Litres = N18,000 (with free 25L Industrial Gallon) .. (BUY 2 GALLONS & GET 5L DISTILLED WATER FREE).

Electrolyte is mixture of sulfuric acid & distilled water having predefined specific gravity or concentration per mol. Smartcell electrolytes maintains 1.265 - 1.280 specific gravity range.

*Deionized H2O Analysis:
*TDS = 0 - 0007 ppm
*PH = 6.8 - 7.0

*APPLICATIONS:
Smartcell deionized water is free of toxins, microbes , pollutants and can be used for:

-Tubular battery periodic top up
- Skin care formulation
- Steam Iron
- Soap making
- Hand sanitizer production
- Cleaning services
- Laboratory
- Automotive radiator Cooling Systems
- Continuous positive airway pressure machines

We're open for dealership discussions. Feel free to reach us via contact details below

Warehouse Location: Winners estate, Abule-egba , Lagos (Estate is situated behind popular Solomon grace secondary schools ,off Abiodun Onitiri avenue) but can be dispatched to any state on buyers expense...

For further enquiry & purchase;
Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL LINE::::: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: 081-703-85620

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 3:27pm On Apr 29
bolu1986:
Dear clients

Maybe you guys need to upgrade your knowledge and methods. I don't think this should be a problem if done properly. It may cost more, but surely there must be a better way to keep the POP suspended under a decking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 3:29pm On Apr 29
Balistic4:

I think Polystyrene pop will be better in this case since it is way lighter. I am really considering using it for my house, except in the kitchen
Please what's your reason for excluding the kitchen, if you don't mind?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 4:18pm On Apr 29
Rany4all:
Maybe the material is flammable

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Balistic4: 4:30pm On Apr 29
Rany4all:
well, just my personal view, it is a soft material and kitchen can be hot for several reasons. So to further ensure that there won't be any fire incident, I want to use normal pop for the kitchen and also ensure that all the wiring in my house will be with thick and quality cables to avoid electrical heating and sparks. This is just my thought, haven't done that yet. Advantages of using polystyrene are just too much to ignore, especial the fast deliver, light weight, and cost.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Balistic4: 4:32pm On Apr 29
sonnie10:

yes, it is, though I heard they use to coat it with some additives to make it less likely to catch fire, it might melt but won't ignite
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 7:30pm On Apr 29
sonnie10:

Highly flammable The same material used in packaging electronics Hmmm.

From childhood experience, I know it melts when burnt, but I don't think it 'easily ignites' just like petrol does...well at least that's my understanding of something being described as "highly flammable".
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 7:42pm On Apr 29
Balistic4:

well, just my personal view, it is a soft material and kitchen can be hot for several reasons. So to further ensure that there won't be any fire incident, I want to use normal pop for the kitchen and also ensure that all the wiring in my house will be with thick and quality cables to avoid electrical heating and sparks. This is just my thought, haven't done that yet. Advantages of using polystyrene are just too much to ignore, especial the fast deliver, light weight, and cost.
Yes kitchen can get quite hot, but I don't think it can get hot enough to melt or burn a polystyrene ceiling though.

One of the many uses of polystyrene is in making food flasks or water bottles in other to keep foods or drinks hot or cold. If polystyrene could melt so easily from kitchen heat, then I don't think it would stand a chance when exposed to a hot food or drink.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by decatalyst(m): 7:54pm On Apr 29
Masterbiodun:

Available

Mind sharing the pictures?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 8:50pm On Apr 29
sonnie10:
The purpose of using mm in measurement is for precision. When you begin to have only zeros at the end of every measurement, it does not show precision and lacks attention to minute details.
I would trust a workman that gives a measurement in mm for say 458 x 1189 than another that gave 460 x 1200 for the same window space.
We know plastering will take care of that small difference but again, perfection is always good.
This inattention to little detail is why a window flew off an aircraft midair recently.

Well...
Its not professional to have a dimension of 458 x 1189.

And mm isn't used because of precision.
It's a British standard used only by British and those they colonised.

Eg America and China don't use it, do we then say they don't have precise measurements?

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnMyHonor: 9:04pm On Apr 29
diordaves:

How do you fix yours?

The best practice for decking is to nog the decking with 2×4 or 4×4 and attach/tie the pop to the noggin instead of gumming it direct to the decking. It is a lot of work noggin a decking but it is worth it on safety grounds.

Woods get weak or eaten from the inside, by those bloody Wood Ants, despite treating the Wood with Solignum, before noggin!

Another Option, if someone knows they are doing POP, the necessary thing to do, is to provide 10mm Iron Rod Ready-Hooks embedded in the Decking, at the Concrete Deck Construction stage (like we do Fan Hooks into the Decking at that stage), you can now hang your Pop to such hooks.
No matter how heavy or how much you attach to it, it will stay-up like that, as long as the job is properly done by a qualified Installer and they use adequate Cementing/POP material.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnMyHonor: 9:20pm On Apr 29
Rany4all:
Yes kitchen can get quite hot, but I don't think it can get hot enough to melt or burn a polystyrene ceiling though.

One of the many uses of polystyrene is in making food flasks or water bottles in other to keep foods or drinks hot or cold. If polystyrene could melt so easily from kitchen heat, then I don't think it would stand a chance when exposed to a hot food or drink.

Polystyrene Material should not be anywhere near a Kitchen, just like Gas Cylinders, in my own opinion!
Yes, it is used to keep things Warm/Cold, that is because it is not a good TRANSMITTER of heat and forms a Heat barrier on each side.
But Heat and Naked Fire are two different things.

It has a very low flame-point, it is made from highly flammable HydroCarbon Chains of atoms (we actually make Gum out of it, by mixing it with a little Petrol and the Petrol just melts it like butter).
If it ever comes into contact with a little fire or hydrocarbon solvent, it flames immediately.

Kitchens are that area of our Houses, where a fire is most likely to start (ordinary frying Doodo without paying enough attention or just warming the Oil before putting pepper or putting pepper when the oil is too hot, can result in a fire!).
So, l think it is most important, that we do everything humanly possible, not to put anything that can aid the fire, around the Kitchen Area.

As for me, l specifically use concrete deck as the Ceiling of all my Kitchens, even upstairs!
If a fire starts from a kitchen, the Concrete Deck will prevent the spread of the fire to the Roof (at Uppermost Floor) and give you a fighting-chance, some minutes, to activate your Extinguishers.
But if the Kitchen Ceiling is made of anything Polystrene or Plastic, you might not have those vital minutes and it may actually fuel the fire.

Why would l take such risk, when l can avoid it?

Well, l was just thinking aloud.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 9:45pm On Apr 29
saydfact:

Well...
Its not professional to have a dimension of 458 x 1189.

And mm isn't used because of precision.
It's a British standard used only by British and those they colonised.

Eg America and China don't use it, do we then say they don't have precise measurements?
Since I have been using micrometer screw gauge here in the US , it has always been in mm.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnMyHonor: 9:46pm On Apr 29
Balistic4:

Wherever you use Polystyrene, the danger of its high flammability will always remain.
In my opinion, it is better to restrict Polystyrene use to Parapets, which is mostly outside the building and high up there.

And l think the high density versions of it, can be used in Rib Slab Decking (instead of using Concrete Blocks), to make the Decking even lighter and because it will be encased in Concrete, the risk of it catching fire is highly limited.

In Houses that have Concrete Decking, as Roof (Over-flows), the Polystyrene can also be used to do such Decking, by encasing them inside a Rib Slab Concrete Decking, this will reduce weight of the Decking and also keep the inside of the House cool, by refusing to transmit the Sun's Heat inside.
You need to sleep inside a Room that is decked, to appreciate the level of Heat it gives-off, in the evening.

Using Polystyrene as POP in the Bedrooms and Living Rooms for example, will result in lighter weight but we still have to "balance" this advantage, over its high flammability.
If you have a choice, l would say: please dont use it anywhere inside the House.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by OnMyHonor: 9:58pm On Apr 29
sonnie10:

Since I have been using micrometer screw gauge here in the US , it has always been in mm.

I think there is a little "mix-up" in what @Saydfact was trying to say.

"mm" is an SI Unit of measurement of Length, just like Kg is for Mass, Seconds is for Time, Kelvin is for temperature, Ampere for Current, Candela for Luminance, etc.

SI Unit stands for "Standards International" Unit.

The International System of Units, universally abbreviated SI (from the French Le Système International d'Unités), is the modern metric system of measurement. The SI is the dominant measurement system used in science and international commerce

So, it is used by all Countries, as an International Standard for Measurements but Countries also have their own unique standards of Measurement, which are also acceptable and widely used in those Countries.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Masterbiodun: 10:18pm On Apr 29
decatalyst:

Mind sharing the pictures?

Can you share your WhatsApp contact?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 11:27pm On Apr 29
OnMyHonor:

I think there is a little "mix-up" in what @Saydfact was trying to say.

"mm" is an SI Unit of measurement of Length, just like Kg is for Mass, Seconds is for Time, Kelvin is for temperature, Ampere for Current, Candela for Luminance, etc.

SI Unit stands for "Standards International" Unit.

So, it is used by all Countries, as an International Standard for Measurements but Countries also have their own unique standards of Measurement, which are also acceptable and widely used in those Countries.
I understand what he is saying very well. I was even told the same in school in Nigeria. But the reality on ground is a little different
Here in the US , if you go to hospital for physical exam, your height will be written most times in Centimeters. Something like 160cm height.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 4:37am On Apr 30
I would prefer this method to any other for under deck POP installations. Thanks for bringing this up.

OnMyHonor:

Woods get weak or eaten from the inside, by those bloody Wood Ants, despite treating the Wood with Solignum, before noggin!

Another [b]Option, if someone knows they are doing POP, the necessary thing to do, is to provide 10mm Iron Rod Ready-Hooks embedded in the Decking, at the Concrete Deck Construction stage (like we do Fan Hooks into the Decking at that stage), you can now hang your Pop to such hooks.[/b]
No matter how heavy or how much you attach to it, it will stay-up like that, as long as the job is properly done by a qualified Installer and they use adequate Cementing/POP material.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toyeoye(m): 5:39am On Apr 30
OnMyHonor:

Wherever you use Polystyrene, the danger of its high flammability will always remain.
In my opinion, it is better to restrict Polystyrene use to Parapets, which is mostly outside the building and high up there.

And l think the high density versions of it, can be used in Rib Slab Decking (instead of using Concrete Blocks), to make the Decking even lighter and because it will be encased in Concrete, the risk of it catching fire is highly limited.

In Houses that have Concrete Decking, as Roof (Over-flows), the Polystyrene can also be used to do such Decking, by encasing them inside a Rib Slab Concrete Decking, this will reduce weight of the Decking and also keep the inside of the House cool, by refusing to transmit the Sun's Heat inside.
You need to sleep inside a Room that is decked, to appreciate the level of Heat it gives-off, in the evening.

Using Polystyrene as POP in the Bedrooms and Living Rooms for example, will result in lighter weight but we still have to "balance" this advantage, over its high flammability.
If you have a choice, l would say: please dont use it anywhere inside the House.

Why don't YOU do the experiment and post your findings here. Coming to conclusions based on surface google search results and hear say does not always hold water. To provide more context, the common type we see used around for construction are flame retardant polystyrene boards and as someone rightly said, it melts on contact with fire and does not catch it at all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Masterbiodun: 6:39am On Apr 30
Masterbiodun:
Brand new original Wooden Door available for clearance sale

Location - Ikotun Lagos

80k,slightly negotiatable

08066561593 - WhatsApp
Available!!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 11:21am On Apr 30
OnMyHonor:

Polystyrene Material should not be anywhere near a Kitchen, just like Gas Cylinders, in my own opinion!
Yes, it is used to keep things Warm/Cold, that is because it is not a good TRANSMITTER of heat and forms a Heat barrier on each side.
But Heat and Naked Fire are two different things.

It has a very low flame-point, it is made from highly flammable HydroCarbon Chains of atoms (we actually make Gum out of it, by mixing it with a little Petrol and the Petrol just melts it like butter).
If it ever comes into contact with a little fire or hydrocarbon solvent, it flames immediately.

Kitchens are that area of our Houses, where a fire is most likely to start (ordinary frying Doodo without paying enough attention or just warming the Oil before putting pepper or putting pepper when the oil is too hot, can result in a fire!).
So, l think it is most important, that we do everything humanly possible, not to put anything that can aid the fire, around the Kitchen Area.

As for me, l specifically use concrete deck as the Ceiling of all my Kitchens, even upstairs!
If a fire starts from a kitchen, the Concrete Deck will prevent the spread of the fire to the Roof (at Uppermost Floor) and give you a fighting-chance, some minutes, to activate your Extinguishers.
But if the Kitchen Ceiling is made of anything Polystrene or Plastic, you might not have those vital minutes and it may actually fuel the fire.

Why would l take such risk, when l can avoid it?

Well, l was just thinking aloud.
All I see here are unfounded fears bro. Next thing we'll hear is that we shouldn't have PVC ceilings, wooden furnitures, clothes, curtains, gas cookers or even electricity in our homes. Forget whatever you've read on Google, polystyrene isn't as flammable as you guys portray it to be. Ceiling that is up there, 3 meters or so away from any naked fire from your cooker, will now suddenly catch fire or melt away and the shirt you wear or your hair never first catch fire Haba grin grin grin

There are so many more things that can cause or spread fire in your home. The key thing is just to adhere to building codes and fire safety regulations. Dazzol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by SpectaSpace: 12:38pm On Apr 30
Rany4all:
All I see here are unfounded fears bro. Next thing we'll hear is that we shouldn't have PVC ceilings, wooden furnitures, clothes, curtains, gas cookers or even electricity in our homes. Forget whatever you've read on Google, polystyrene isn't as flammable as you guys portray it to be. Ceiling that is up there, 3 meters or so away from any naked fire from your cooker, will now suddenly catch fire or melt away and the shirt you wear or your hair never first catch fire Haba grin grin grin

There are so many more things that can cause or spread fire in your home. The key thing is just to adhere to building codes and fire safety regulations. Dazzol

What if he's right?

This is not a matter of if, it is a matter of what happens when there's fire outbreak. Regardless of the justifications, polystyrene/Styrofoam are flammable materials!

It is important for homeowners to calibrate safety and security measures in their buildings according to threat and risk level.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jaakay: 1:12pm On Apr 30
Good afternoon, pls how much will it cost on the average to get a bill of quantity for my upcoming project?

(1) (2) (3) ... (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) (3666) (3667) ... (3673) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: pharmadek, otedola1(m), Rawgold300, Baz1, Ohiomoba5 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.