Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2309) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4380358 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2306) (2307) (2308) (2309) (2310) (2311) (2312) ... (3665) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:37am On Jul 08, 2021
somehow:

Do you have the details of why they got demolished so that others can compare and see if they are heading that path or safe?

I can't really say more than I've shared above. Don't be in a rush to do anything in Lagos state (especially in all those mushroom estates).

I'm not happy sharing this anyway because it's still fresh and the affected owners are still in deep shock but one thing I can tell is I have first hand information about all that happened and the clients are to be blamed for listening to the omo-oniles and choosing not to do the right thing at the right time.

I designed one of the building that made the incident go viral on social media (instablog). I was also in Alausa while appealing the action. I did the remedial work on the partly demolished structures but all I can say is "Don't get yourself in a situation where you wished you have taken it slow."

This one is demolition. It could be flooding or partial collapse in other situations.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bukolo: 11:40am On Jul 08, 2021
How much is turkey hand rails for simple design below?
RockOfAgesAlumi:

If you don't mind we are an expert on the hand railings
Thanks sir

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 11:41am On Jul 08, 2021
bukolo:
How much is turkey rails for simple design?
22k per square meter

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:59am On Jul 08, 2021
Thanks @dijita

Borehole Installation at Ibeju/Lekki

https://youtube.com/shorts/NGFSEzH--y0?feature=share
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 12:22pm On Jul 08, 2021
Ok thanks
Valuepaints20:

2to3month
Not bad
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 12:41pm On Jul 08, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

When your job is satisfactorily done please recommend the person to me for immediate work in Elebu, Ibadan. Thanks.

As long as it’s not the person that spams this thread.
Ok sir. In case you get someone before me. You can send them my way if they do good job for you

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 12:43pm On Jul 08, 2021
n3xt:

I can't really say more than I've shared above. Don't be in a rush to do anything in Lagos state (especially in all those mushroom estates).

I'm not happy sharing this anyway because it's still fresh and the affected owners are still in deep shock but one thing I can tell is I have first hand information about all that happened and the clients are to be blamed for listening to the omo-oniles and choosing not to do the right thing at the right time.

I designed one of the building that made the incident go viral on social media (instablog). I was also in Alausa while appealing the action. I did the remedial work on the partly demolished structures but all I can say is "Don't get yourself in a situation where you wished you have taken it slow."

This one is demolition. It could be flooding or partial collapse in other situations.
Hopefully we will get to hear the main reason for the demolition.

As for collapse and flooding. I believe a competent contractor /builder should be able to handle any project that wouldn't lead to such.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 12:47pm On Jul 08, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Are these your actual jobs?

If so define affordable price as I have an estimate request in Elebu.
yes sir, elebu in ibadan
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cash1115(m): 12:48pm On Jul 08, 2021
Valuepaints20:

Nice job
thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dijita: 12:57pm On Jul 08, 2021
n3xt:
Thanks @dijita

Borehole Installation at Ibeju/Lekki

https://youtube.com/shorts/NGFSEzH--y0?feature=share
Thanks to you @Next, your guy seems to be ok. Already awarded him another #450k contract and considering him for another in that range.
You see, someone told me the borehole cost was #250k about 10 years ago. I told them to dig well instead. Last year they said it is dried up. they dig it again. This year they said it dried up again and that we need to add another ring. I said forget it.
When your guys show up the same person said I should have told him that I needed borehole because he has someone that can do it at reasonable price. I said you told me it cost about #250k 10 years ago. Today it will be over 2 millions if we consider inflation. 2million can't be more reasonable than #150k. The #150k is one of the cost I am most pleased to pay in the life of this project.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:07pm On Jul 08, 2021
somehow:
Hopefully we will get to hear the main reason for the demolition.

As for collapse and flooding. I believe a competent contractor /builder should be able to handle any project that wouldn't lead to such.

I guess incompetent contractor built the miami collapsed building. Maybe he also used substandard materials from Nigeria grin

I always laugh when I read stuffs here. The only thing we know about is cutting corners, corruption, substandard materials blah blah. We often dont think of environmental influence as a major cause of collapse.

When building regulations request for 9m setback for certain building, we often half it or even do whatever we like on site. For us, it is a waste of space. Those who requested for it must be stupid. They don't know how much they sell land in Lekki....

I have nothing less than 9m setback on 3 sides in my personal abode. Do you think I'd suffer same catastrophe as someone who had lesser setback? If there's fire outbreak, would I have issues like someone who manage to fit his building in 10m plot. What about vibrations? Think about standing waters - it can never get to my building. What about land subsidence? Is that a case of lack of competence?

I think you should read up more on causes of building collapse sir.

Miami building collapse: What could have caused it? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57651025

All I can say is that if my building collapse, hold me responsible because I don't take chances. Where there are no standards, I become the standard.

Pics from The Contractor (Miami Building Collapse)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2021
gabbytabby:
Hmmmmm no accept the fact of life until matter that touch come remind you grin

You don jejely build for your reality and instead of attaching a platform area in the front I hear say you don decide to keep up with the Jonesses its now duplex just remember to include stair lift my brother grin.

Me that have abandoned thoughts of duplex.

Decided to finish my “padlock bungalow “ grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2021
Dijita:

Thanks to you @Next, your guy seems to be ok. Already awarded him another #450k contract and considering him for another in that range.
You see, someone told me the borehole cost was #250k about 10 years ago. I told them to dig well instead. Last year they said it is dried up. they dig it again. This year they said it dried up again and that we need to add another ring. I said forget it.
When your guys show up the same person said I should have told him that I needed borehole because he has someone that can do it at reasonable price. I said you told me it cost about #250k 10 years ago. Today it will be over 2 millions if we consider inflation. 2million can't be more reasonable than #150k. The #150k is one of the cost I am most pleased to pay in the life of this project.

Thank you!

The guy is super good in plumbing and I've told him to do a very good job.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ollykay619(m): 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2021
Please looking to rent an apartment in Elebu or Ologuneru. Anybody with a reliable agent contact should please share with me..

PS: Any suggestions/advice on any good area with good light and security where one can rent house in ibadan is welcome
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:31pm On Jul 08, 2021
To keep water away from my personal abode, I had to create stormwater drainage at almost 30m away from my building running about 1km away.

I know my structure is standing strong but I need to do more to keep it standing for many more years. So I’m not prepared to take chances.

That’s why I created my own estate where I have control over everything happening around me. I don’t wait on people or government to do what’s right. Neither do I look for people to blame for things I knew I can manage.

The 40 year old Miami structure that collapsed couldn’t have been a case of incompetent contractor but a complete disregard for professional advice/recommendations.

Stop the water before it stops you.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 1:36pm On Jul 08, 2021
I’ll share a video later on this thread to buttress my point that owners should be jailed for building collapse.

We too dey rush! grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 1:50pm On Jul 08, 2021
I have a guy that is into it if you don mine can I share you his number?

Meanwhile if u need paints am also available Lagos/ogun state I got you cover free delivery.
https://www.facebook.com/Buy-Paint-101778338743959/

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 1:59pm On Jul 08, 2021
Dijita:
I am considering the installation of Solar energy to a four bedrooms with 2 living rooms bungalow in Ibeju Lekki axis. Professional solar energy provider that knows his/her stuff can respond. Again you have to be very knowledgeable and ready to offer best for reasonable price.
If you are not up to it don't respond. If you did not do a good job I will shout all over this page for people to know.
I have worked with many people here and they are going to tell you I am a reasonable person that demands good job and accommodate unexpected delay in delivery schedule. Low cost is secondary to quality job.
I always tell people I don't want to buy something of #5 for #7 but I am ready to pay #10 for quality. In other word, while I may not be rich enough to buy Benz, I will wait until I have the money to buy Toyota or Honda instead of buying Hyundai now. The analogue is for the wise to comprehend
Thanks boss for your patronage..
ImranRoofing Handle the Roofing Project and Installation of Rain gutter will be complete today by God Grace

So what are you waiting for? For your Quality Roofing materials and Rain gutter
Whatsapp 08085310359

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by henrymor: 2:13pm On Jul 08, 2021
Well done sirs!

Please what do you think about nylon face tiles. Are they good for use? Do they have disadvantages?

Thanks!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2021
n3xt:

I guess incompetent contractor built the miami collapsed building. Maybe he also used substandard materials from Nigeria grin

I always laugh when I read stuffs here. The only thing we know about is cutting corners, corruption, substandard materials blah blah. We often dont think of environmental influence as a major cause of collapse.

When building regulations request for 9m setback for certain building, we often half it or even do whatever we like on site. For us, it is a waste of space. Those who requested for it must be stupid. They don't know how much they sell land in Lekki....

I have nothing less than 9m setback on 3 sides in my personal abode. Do you think I'd suffer same catastrophe as someone who had lesser setback? If there's fire outbreak, would I have issues like someone who manage to fit his building in 10m plot. What about vibrations? Think about standing waters - it can never get to my building. What about land subsidence? Is that a case of lack of competence?

I think you should read up more on causes of building collapse sir.

Miami building collapse: What could have caused it? https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57651025

All I can say is that if my building collapse, hold me responsible because I don't take chances. Where there are no standards, I become the standard.

Pics from The Contractor (Miami Building Collapse)

How old is the building you're quoting?

You know the collapse we are talking about. We saw the images EgunMogaji2 posted a while back.

Buildings collapse everywhere in the world when they become old and fragile without necessary renovations.

When it becomes an issue is if the building is newly built or ungoing.

Whoever is building around waterlogged areas should contract true professionals who wouldn't sell beans to them just to get money from them.

Professionals that won't skip soil test, skip using the right materials or even changing the design of the building to fit the strength of the soil.

We can see that there are other houses around the collapsed Miami buildings.

It's the job of every professional to advise their client accurately and if such client won't listen, they should walk out!

If you accept to build in a place not worth building on, you as the professional must pay for it and be jailed forever!

This is why you're the professional and not the landowner.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:50pm On Jul 08, 2021

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

When your job is satisfactorily done please recommend the person to me for immediate work in Elebu, Ibadan. Thanks.

As long as it’s not the person that spams this thread.
grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dooooooo(m): 2:55pm On Jul 08, 2021
Enyinne:
Goodmorning people, i need answers to this .How long after roofing wood work should roofing sheet( stone coated ) can be installed. I hv heard 28days after . Pls share ur opinion. Thanks
Value Paint said 2 to 3 months.
Really? I have never heard of such. I have never seen such.
So far, we apply the roofing sheets immediately the wood work gets completed.
I will need to be educated on why roofing wood work needs to be left for a month or more before covering.

Uncleteeh(OAKGroup)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 3:05pm On Jul 08, 2021
n3xt:
To keep water away from my personal abode, I had to create stormwater drainage at almost 30m away from my building running about 1km away.

I know my structure is standing strong but I need to do more to keep it standing for many more years. So I’m not prepared to take chances.

That’s why I created my own estate where I have control over everything happening around me. I don’t wait on people or government to do what’s right. Neither do I look for people to blame for things I knew I can manage.

The 40 year old Miami structure that collapsed couldn’t have been a case of incompetent contractor but a complete disregard for professional advice/recommendations.

Stop the water before it stops you.
I dey gbadun you, i love this thread and everybody here, it’s a pity i joined this thread late

You guys are awesome! Greater heights to everyone

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:06pm On Jul 08, 2021
somehow:

How old is the building you're quoting?

You know the collapse we are talking about. We saw the images EgunMogaji2 posted a while back.

Buildings collapse everywhere in the world when they become old and fragile without necessary renovations.

When it becomes an issue is if the building is newly built or ongoing.

This construction stage is even more critical.

A number of factors might cause engineering to go south if you’re not paying attention to important stuffs.

Most times plain negligence or thinking about form over function is a major cause of building collapse.

I’ve seen a building collapsed in Lagos Mainland due to overloading (rooftop party).

Likewise, I’ve seen a building collapse due to roof design. It wasn’t well designed to handle extreme weather condition.

Baba I wan rest angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 3:06pm On Jul 08, 2021
Dooooooo:

I will need to be educated on why roofing wood work needs to be left for a month or more before covering.

Uncleteeh(OAKGroup)
I believe the response was sarcastic, so far the woods used are treated

Roofing sheets should follow immediately (what i thought)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 3:10pm On Jul 08, 2021
This is why professionals must be professionals and not try to push their responsibilities to their ignorant clients (If clients were pros in construction, they wouldn't need any professional to handle their builds.)

In summary, people should always take responsibility once they have been paid to carry out a project.

n3xt:

This construction stage is even more critical.

A number of factors might cause engineering to go south if you’re not paying attention to important stuffs.

Most times plain negligence or thinking about form over function is a major cause of building collapse.

I’ve seen a building collapsed in Lagos Mainland due to overloading (rooftop party).

Likewise, I’ve seen a building collapse due to roof design. It wasn’t well designed to handle extreme weather condition.

Baba I wan rest angry

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 3:18pm On Jul 08, 2021
Dooooooo:

Uncleteeh(OAKGroup)
Simple answer, short of funds.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:28pm On Jul 08, 2021
somehow:
This is why professionals must be professionals and not try to push their responsibilities to their ignorant clients (If clients were pros in construction, they wouldn't need any professional to handle their builds.)

In summary, people should always take responsibility once they have been paid to carry out a project.

How come you're not getting the environmental factor part sir? This is a major reason for building collapse in recent times.

Do you mean I should blame my builder/engineer for waters percolating round my building as a result of my next door neighbours refusal to install proper drainage?

______

I recently cleared about 3 acres of land behind my plot. Just last week, I got a report that all my roof eaves have almost fallen off. Should I blame the roof installer for doing poor job? A roofing job that was done over 1 decade ago without issues until we cut off some trees

Even action has a consequence. You need to understand and play your part and stop looking for someone else to blame.

While we were clearing the land, it never occured to me I was removing the wind breakers and exposing the roof/building to extreme weather.

Na who I go blame bayi o! The person who cut the trees or the roofer who didnt think of when the trees would be cut down in the future or the owner who gave the order to remove the trees without considering the consequences.

If you host a 200 person party inside your building, will you still blame the contractor for any eventuality?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:32pm On Jul 08, 2021
Born2conquer:

I dey gbadun you, i love this thread and everybody here, it’s a pity i joined this thread late

You guys are awesome! Greater heights to everyone

Learning is what most adults will do for living in the 21st century. This platform is our own school grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2021
Very good truth
#fact
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2021
somehow:

Professionals that won't skip soil test, skip using the right materials or even changing the design of the building to fit the strength of the soil.

We can see that there are other houses around the collapsed Miami buildings.

It's the job of every professional to advise their client accurately and if such client won't listen, they should walk out!

If you accept to build in a place not worth building on, you as the professional must pay for it and be jailed forever!

This is why you're the professional and not the landowner.

What will happen to the owner who bought the land with his own money? Rent it out to tenants? Put his family members there?

______

There's one person I will forever respect here. He paid over 1m to conduct soil test for a land in Ogombo in 2011 just to be sure it's worth it. When we gave him the soil report, he decided to walk away from the land and went to buy land in Agbowa where he does not need raft and Baba lati can successfully deliver a good house for him without breaking bank.

How many clients here will do this?

______

I have a client who got 24m depth in his report. He still went ahead with the project.

Let me give you ideas of how deep 24m is, It's like 7 stories building or length of 2 and half Dangote Truck.

______

If you say professional should walk out, may I ask at what point? At the beginning of the project, when he's just meeting the client?
Or when the building has gone up only to realize how stubborn his client is? grin

I believe you'd agree with me that no builder has x-ray vision to know difficult clients neither can he force him/her to pay for what he didnt plan for. He can only advice.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2306) (2307) (2308) (2309) (2310) (2311) (2312) ... (3665) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: timelineinc and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.