Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,510 members, 7,830,524 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3665) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4432133 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) (3666) (3667) (3668) ... (3675) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 1:39pm On Apr 30
Jaakay:
Good afternoon, pls how much will it cost on the average to get a bill of quantity for my upcoming project?
Depends on the type of project. Duplex or bungalow. You can contact me on 09056082348 . For a detailed boq.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:49pm On Apr 30
Jaakay:
Good afternoon, pls how much will it cost on the average to get a bill of quantity for my upcoming project?

It depends on the size of your building..

For the MEP I can volunteer to do it at no cost.. I love preparing MEP BOQ

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 2:16pm On Apr 30
SpectaSpace:

What if he's right?

This is not a matter of if, it is a matter of what happens when there's fire outbreak. Regardless of the justifications, polystyrene/Styrofoam are flammable materials!

It is important for homeowners to calibrate safety and security measures in their buildings according to threat and risk level.
There are so many flammable materials in our homes. Not having a polystyrene ceiling, I'm afraid, is not a fire safety measure. And just by the way, the polystyrene boards used in construction are usually fire retardant versions of polystyrene.

Like I said, the key is to incorporate fire safety measures in our homes, like installing fire alarm systems, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, fire blankets, fire escape, etc.

Having a concrete ceiling, even in the kitchen does not prevent fires. Your cooker can cause fire. Your electrical appliances can cause fire. Your kitchen cabinet can catch fire. Your wooden kitchen doors are also flammable. In fact, almost everything inside our homes are flammable, so does that mean we should live in empty houses?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:25pm On Apr 30
Rany4all:
There are so many flammable materials in our homes. Not having a polystyrene ceiling, I'm afraid, is not a fire safety measure. And just by the way, the polystyrene boards used in construction are usually fire retardant versions of polystyrene.

Like I said, the key is to incorporate fire safety measures in our homes, like installing fire alarm systems, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, fire blankets, fire escape, etc.

Having a concrete ceiling, even in the kitchen does not prevent fires. Your cooker can cause fire. Your electrical appliances can cause fire. Your kitchen cabinet can catch fire. Your wooden kitchen doors are also flammable. In fact, almost everything inside our homes are flammable, so does that mean we should live in empty houses?
The bottom line is that some materials are more combustible than others. It’s just like saying HIV cannot be transmitted by kissing, would you kiss a HIV carrier?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 8:15pm On Apr 30
sonnie10:

The bottom line is that some materials are more combustible than others. It’s just like saying HIV cannot be transmitted by kissing, would you kiss a HIV carrier?
Agree 💯...but this fear of construction polystyrene bursting into flames is totally unfounded. It would simply melt if it comes in contact with fire, unlike a piece of cloth that would catch fire and spread it to other parts of the house, yet we don't hear anyone saying we shouldn't have curtains or bedsheets in our homes.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:17pm On Apr 30
Rany4all:
Agree 💯...but this fear of construction polystyrene bursting into flames is totally unfounded. It would simply melt if it comes in contact with fire, unlike a piece of cloth that would catch fire and spread it to other parts of the house, yet we don't hear anyone saying we shouldn't have curtains or bedsheets in our homes.

I think you are getting it all wrong. The issue is not if polystyrene will burst into flames. The issue is, polystyrene is a product of petroleum crude. It is not a wise decision to clad homes in petroleum products. This is not the same thing as doors. Doors retard to a limited extent the spread of fire. Polystyrene propagate the spread of fire.

When there is fire, it is not the FIRE flames that kills. It is the smoke, poisonous gas and the lack of oxygen that kills. In the event of fire, polystyrene cladded ceiling will melt and drip to the floor, making escape and rescue difficult. Polystyrene will emit black poisonous smoke, sucking up the oxygen which can lead to death.

No, it is not advisable to clad your home with petroleum products.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by saydfact(m): 12:06am On May 01
Jaakay:

Explain why you need a BOQ and I might be able to advice you on If you really need it or you need a schedule instead.
and are you contracting the construction out 100%?

Goodluck
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 7:01am On May 01
diordaves:

I think you are getting it all wrong. The issue is not if polystyrene will burst into flames. The issue is, polystyrene is a product of petroleum crude. It is not a wise decision to clad homes in petroleum products. This is not the same thing as doors. Doors retard to a limited extent the spread of fire. Polystyrene propagate the spread of fire.

When there is fire, it is not the FIRE flames that kills. It is the smoke, poisonous gas and the lack of oxygen that kills. In the event of fire, polystyrene cladded ceiling will melt and drip to the floor, making escape and rescue difficult. Polystyrene will emit black poisonous smoke, sucking up the oxygen which can lead to death.

You have nailed the discussion sir. I can relate with this.
It's suffocation by smoke that kills first in case incidents.
Smoke from melting polystyrene would be very toxic.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 7:08am On May 01
diordaves:

In that case, I wonder why no one seems to have similar concerns with PVC ceilings, or is PVC not a petroleum product again? Will PVC ceiling not melt and drip on the floor as well?

And irrespective of whether your ceiling is polystyrene, POP or concrete, if your house is on fire and you do not escape in time, the smoke and, most importantly, depleted oxygen conditions will probably kill you before the fire gets to you. Smoke doesn't suck oxygen. Oxygen is required for combustion and is depleted by the process of burning, no matter the source of fire.

Nor be only smoke from burning polystyrene fit kill person o.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olukaygold(m): 7:09am On May 01
Happy New Month Brethren. Handling over this House Keys to my Client latest next week Wednesday... .

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 7:45am On May 01
olukaygold:
Happy New Month Brethren. Handling over this House Keys to my Client latest next week Wednesday... .
Lovely building bro...but if I were the owner, I would have requested you do something to make that water tank on the roof not so visible.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Masterbiodun: 8:37am On May 01
Masterbiodun:
Brand new original Wooden Door available for clearance sale

Location - Ikotun Lagos

80k,slightly negotiatable

08066561593 - WhatsApp

This type of door ....still available

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by awesomeJ(m): 8:50am On May 01
Good morning guys, please who has information about this new Elephant(Lafarge) water shield cement, it's price, effectiveness and curbing water seepage, and where to buy, I haven't been seeing it around yet.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:53am On May 01
gbadexy:

You have nailed the discussion sir. I can relate with this.
It's suffocation by smoke that kills first in case incidents.
Smoke from melting polystyrene would be very toxic.
Exactly, that is why we should all have working smoke alarms.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:15am On May 01
erico2k2:

Many don't have fire alarm in their house. We have the wireless one now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 10:36am On May 01
Rany4all:
In that case, I wonder why no one seems to have similar concerns with PVC ceilings, or is PVC not a petroleum product again? Will PVC ceiling not melt and drip on the floor as well?

And irrespective of whether your ceiling is polystyrene, POP or concrete, if your house is on fire and you do not escape in time, the smoke and, most importantly, depleted oxygen conditions will probably kill you before the fire gets to you. Smoke doesn't suck oxygen. Oxygen is required for combustion and is depleted by the process of burning, no matter the source of fire.

Nor be only smoke from burning polystyrene fit kill person o.

All na the same ten and ten pence. Polystyrene o, PVC o, whatever you call it, all na the same. I've campaigned against the use of PVC ceiling on this forum in the past. There are better, safer affordable ceiling solutions in the market.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 10:36am On May 01
topsy23:

Many don't have fire alarm in their house. We have the wireless one now
How is it powered? Batteries, solar or both?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:55am On May 01
Rany4all:

Stand alone battery operated
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:00am On May 01
Rany4all:
The vast majority of them are battery powered. Installed in places where you naturally wont have naked flames, ie you living room and bedrooms.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 11:01am On May 01
topsy23:

Stand alone battery operated
Rechargeable?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 11:05am On May 01
erico2k2:

The vast majority of them are battery powered. Installed in places where you naturally wont have naked flames, ie you living room and bedrooms.
Are the batteries rechargeable?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:06am On May 01
Rany4all:
Are the batteries rechargeable?
What ever kind of batteries you put is entirely up to you, you can buy rechargeable AA batteries and install in them, they take AA or AAA batteries just like your TV remote controls.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 11:14am On May 01
erico2k2:
What ever kind of batteries you put is entirely up to you, you can buy rechargeable AA batteries and install in them, they take AA or AAA batteries just like your TV remote controls.
Ok, that's great for the Nigerian situation as it is at the moment. I only hope they also come with indicators to show when batteries are drained.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 11:14am On May 01
erico2k2:

It's very important as the first line of awareness according to the popular saying, there's no smoke without fire.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:16am On May 01
Rany4all:
Ok, that's great for the Nigerian situation as it is at the moment. I only hope they also come with indicators to show when batteries are drained.
It should do, co they will beep or flash a red light and also you are meant to test them regularly say once a week by pressing the reset point!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:17am On May 01
gbadexy:

It's very important as the first line of awareness according to the popular saying, there's no smoke without fire.
The importance cant be emphasised enough

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 11:18am On May 01
erico2k2:

It should do, co they will beep or flash a red light and also you are meant to test them regularly say once a week by pressing the reset point!!
Ok, thanks for the insight.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CircleOfWilis: 12:06pm On May 01
diordaves:

All na the same ten and ten pence. Polystyrene o, PVC o, whatever you call it, all na the same. I've campaigned against the use of PVC ceiling on this forum in the past. There are better, safer affordable ceiling solutions in the market.
give us examples
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 12:25pm On May 01
Rany4all:

When the battery is low they will give alarm.. There is also heat detector for kitchen
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 12:30pm On May 01
topsy23:

When the battery is low they will give alarm.. There is also heat detector for kitchen
Nice 👍
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by wittywriter: 12:43pm On May 01
Reach me for any roofing related deal.

Wittyness

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olukaygold(m): 12:44pm On May 01
Rany4all:
Lovely building bro...but if I were the owner, I would have requested you do something to make that water tank on the roof not so visible.
We actually raised that water tank up with 8ft Tank Stand for more Water pressure at the First Floor.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) (3666) (3667) (3668) ... (3675) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.