Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,908 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:20 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2336) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4412732 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2333) (2334) (2335) (2336) (2337) (2338) (2339) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:22am On Jul 21, 2021
Born2conquer:
I hope i get a response from my Ogas grin

So we got this guy to fix brick tiles on our folks house and he bragged he’s good at laying bricks�� well this is the result.

Apart from the fact that he fixed it in a very ugly way but the cement stains (seems he splashed the cements on the bricks after he was done) refused to come off since last year, we don wash am tire grin

Is there a way to clean these tiles without actually repainting them? Because repainting will overrule the reason we chose “brick tiles” in the first space.

Or which other corrections can be done on this

This guy obviously is still leaning this work and not completed his training before hurrying to take up jobs. There are guys who do this and do it well, with modern tools. Its always a beauty to behold when done right.

On correcting this, there are two things involved, first is the lines that are not straight in between each row, there doesn't seem to be much you can do about that one apart from removing the whole tiles. The second thing is the cement stains, washing it only worsened the whole problem. They should have brushed it in a dry state, or even sand paper the tiles, and later polish it.

The worker should have been stopped after the first 3 lines when it became obvious that he doesn't know what he is doing. House finish errors are the most painful, you get to see it everyday and its irritating.

First two picture below are the one we did in Akure, Ondo state.

Last two pictures are from my village house

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 9:26am On Jul 21, 2021
You can vanish it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:28am On Jul 21, 2021
micgray100:
NEW UPDATE ON THE BOREHORE JOB NOT EXECUTED TILL DATE...

I appreciate the respected Nairalander that recommended the borehole driller for owning up to himself here (twinskenny).

Uptil till today, the job remain undone..
he twinskenny, said he has reported him to a police station.

My problem here is ... I don't know how much longer I can wait before the case get settled.

House, pease I need your clarification on this..
It was because of twinskenny recommendation on this site that I involve this guy.. And I told him specifically from the site that all I want is result... Now that we didn't get the result.. Should he the recommender refund my money.. or I wait till the case that doesn't have an ending period..

My reasons for asking the above question is simple... Everyone including me can start recommending people and getting my commision even if I know the person won't deliver...

there should be rules on this forum on issue like this...
likewise.. I paid the recommended guy through the referrals account...

Do I need to bother myself with the police case or I should get refund from the referal..

I will respect everyone opinion here... anyone can be victim tomorrow... if truely we want credibility on forum...

I know say wetin I wan talk go vex you, but I just have to say it.

If the way you are conducting this situation here on this forum is the way you conduct affairs of your project, then I must say you are a poor manager and a very poor minister of affairs. How?

This is how:
MMotimo:

#300k upfront for a #350k job is 85% down payment, that is not little
What was the purpose of paying through twinskenny’s account?
Why did twinskenny allow you to use his account?
What gave you the comfort to put down 85% and why did twinskenny accept it on the contractor’s behalf?
It is one thing to recommend someone and bow out but when you stand in the middle for money to be channeled through you, I believe you are inferring some sort of guarantor/escrow relationship .

The answers to the questions above would determine whether or not to go after twinskenny for your money

You need to come out with all relevant information, not this drip, drip, drip approach of information. How do you expect meaningful suggestions when members don't have the information from your perspective?

Who be the member, you no talk.
Who be the contractor, you no talk.
The contractor dey this forum? you no talk.
which kind arrangement una make, you no talk.

You no want wahala, you no want wahala but your money don enter voicemail and your project is at a standstill. You no want wahala. People who say they don't want wahala are generally lazy people.

So my friend, take up some responsibility as well and work with @twinskenny to ferret out the contractor irrespective of if he (twinskenny) gained from the transaction. It is also your responsibility to chase the contractor, so chip in financially for the police cost. Work with @twinskenny. An arm's length approach is the wrong approach. You cannot from a distance be asking: how long before I demand my money.

So again, my friend be involved and don't be lazy.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 9:28am On Jul 21, 2021
Born2conquer:

So we got this guy to fix brick tiles on our folks house and he bragged he’s good at laying bricks�� well this is the result.

Apart from the fact that he fixed it in a very ugly way but the cement stains (seems he splashed the cements on the bricks after he was done) refused to come off since last year, we don wash am tire grin

Is there a way to clean these tiles without actually repainting them? Because repainting will overrule the reason we chose “brick tiles” in the first space.

I’m afraid you’d have to live with it, remove the tiles or paint over it.

He’s obviously a novice in installing stone walls. The signs you’re seeing on the wall are from the chemical he applied while trying to clean up and that’s exactly the problem.

Maybe in 5 - 7 years of continuous wash, you might be able to wash off the acidic stains.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:46am On Jul 21, 2021
Born2conquer:

o boy this is a terrible job to say the least
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:46am On Jul 21, 2021
spyder880:

This guy obviously is still leaning this work and not completed his training before hurrying to take up jobs. There are guys who do this and do it well, with modern tools. Its always a beauty to behold when done right.

On correcting this, there are two things involved, first is the lines that are not straight in between each row, there doesn't seem to be much you can do about that one apart from removing the whole tiles. The second thing is the cement stains, washing it only worsened the whole problem. They should have brushed it in a dry state, or even sand paper the tiles, and later polish it.

The worker should have been stopped after the first 3 lines when it became obvious that he doesn't know what he is doing. House finish errors are the most painful, you get to see it everyday and its irritating.

First two picture below are the one we did in Akure, Ondo state.

Oga mi, are his charges affordable and can he work in Ibadan?

Thank you Sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:48am On Jul 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Oga mi, are his charges affordable and can he work in Ibadan?

Thank you Sir.

I will call him and find out if he can move to Ibadan, thank you Sir.

Edit:

He just confirmed he can work in Ibadan, please chat me up on 0803 335 0750 and I will send you his phone number. Thank you Sir.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:17am On Jul 21, 2021
spyder880:

I will call him and find out if he can move to Ibadan, thank you Sir.

Edit:

He just confirmed he can work in Ibadan, please chat me up on 0803 335 0750 and I will send you his phone number. Thank you Sir.

I’m honored Sir. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:22am On Jul 21, 2021
spyder880:

Wow! This is cool!

Nice South African Brick Tiles cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 10:25am On Jul 21, 2021
n3xt:

Wow! This is cool!

Very beautiful, I have seen them many places too.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olaleye2real(m): 2:16pm On Jul 21, 2021
micgray100:
NEW UPDATE ON THE BOREHORE JOB NOT EXECUTED TILL DATE...

I appreciate the respected Nairalander that recommended the borehole driller for owning up to himself here (twinskenny).

Uptil till today, the job remain undone..
he twinskenny, said he has reported him to a police station.

Good afternoon sir, please I think you need to give him small patience, once case is in police station, I believe before this weekend police fish out the guy sir..

By God Grace everything we be resolve, sorry inconvenience this may have cost you sir,

My problem here is ... I don't know how much longer I can wait before the case get settled.

House, pease I need your clarification on this..
It was because of twinskenny recommendation on this site that I involve this guy.. And I told him specifically from the site that all I want is result... Now that we didn't get the result.. Should he the recommender refund my money.. or I wait till the case that doesn't have an ending period..

My reasons for asking the above question is simple... Everyone including me can start recommending people and getting my commision even if I know the person won't deliver...

there should be rules on this forum on issue like this...
likewise.. I paid the recommended guy through the referrals account...

Do I need to bother myself with the police case or I should get refund from the referal..

I will respect everyone opinion here... anyone can be victim tomorrow... if truely we want credibility on forum...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 2:33pm On Jul 21, 2021
n3xt:

Wow! This is cool!

There is no need of plastering the brick. Is it a hollow block or solid one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 3:50pm On Jul 21, 2021
n3xt:

Wow! This is cool!

Is wow
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 3:58pm On Jul 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

In my opinion the percentage he paid is a problem. I have an issue with business that do jobs on the clients dime. A personal pet peeve.

What did he buy to do a borehole? Nothing.
In the East around ihiala- orlu axis borehole is about #800k - 1M. Initial payment is about 700k. Nobody takes less. They do deliver within 3 days.
It is all about sincerity and purposefully making effort to deliver a project as agreed.

The claim in this case that machine broke down is unacceptable. That initial deposit would have been enough to rent another one.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 5:44pm On Jul 21, 2021
Things are happening o!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipV1GBHI2Lg

See as flood is dealing with China.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:52pm On Jul 21, 2021
somehow:
Things are happening o!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipV1GBHI2Lg

See as flood is dealing with China.

grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:44pm On Jul 21, 2021
n3xt:

grin grin

Frightening.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:19pm On Jul 21, 2021
sonnie10:

In the East around ihiala- orlu axis borehole is about #800k - 1M. Initial payment is about 700k. Nobody takes less. They do deliver within 3 days.
It is all about sincerity and purposefully making effort to deliver a project as agreed.

The claim in this case that machine broke down is unacceptable. That initial deposit would have been enough to rent another one.

When they did mine they collected full payment in advance or they wouldn’t do it. Every single place in Elebu area.

I told the Indian owner that I was disappointed but felt I had no choice.

I’ll never run any of my business like that. Not on customers money. And I haven’t been.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:39pm On Jul 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

When they did mine they collected full payment in advance or they wouldn’t do it. Every single place in Elebu area.

I told the Indian owner that I was disappointed but felt I had no choice.

I’ll never run any of my business like that. Not on customers money. And I haven’t been.

Nigeria is different. If you do it with your own money, you will never get paid the balance. If you do such with physical products like custom furniture, your warehouse will end up being filled with unclaimed junks. I don't know how you can protect that.

Unlike in the US where you can go to a small claims court and put a lien on the property. In Nigeria, how much do you want to use to file a case of #300k or less contract in court? How long will it take to be settled, how about the time wasted and stress?

The only way its possible in Nigeria is if the contract is inflated. over priced.
Say the actual labor and material would cost 100k but you quote 150k. Then you can collect 100k to finish the job and put the remaining 50k in the hands of God.
This is even highly unlikely in Nigeria because most clients already did their home work and know how much materials would cost and fair labor estimate. So the 50k I talked about might not even be in the equation in a typical Nigeria transaction.

9 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:01pm On Jul 21, 2021
sonnie10:

Nigeria is different. If you do it with your own money, you will never get paid the balance. If you do such with physical products like custom furniture, your warehouse will end up being filled with unclaimed junks. I don't know how you can protect that.

Unlike in the US where you can go to a small claims court and put a lien on the property. In Nigeria, how much do you want to use to file a case of #300k or less contract in court? How long will it take to be settled, how about the time wasted and stress?

The only way its possible in Nigeria is if the contract is inflated. over priced.
Say the actual labor and material would cost 100k but you quote 150k. Then you can collect 100k to finish the job and put the remaining 50k in the hands of God.
This is even highly unlikely in Nigeria because most clients already did their home work and know how much materials would cost and fair labor estimate. So the 50k I talked about might not even be in the equation in a typical Nigeria transaction.

Nigeria is not different. For some reason we just like to pretend that it is.

I’m following my finely honed American business standards in Nigeria and it’s working well for me across various subsidiaries.

No offense but I I consider the Nigeria is different thing as a defeatist attitude.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:14pm On Jul 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Nigeria is not different. For some reason we just like to pretend that it is.

I’m following my finely honed American business standards in Nigeria and it’s working well for me across various subsidiaries.

No offense but I I consider the Nigeria is different thing as a defeatist attitude.

There are very different societies whether one agrees or not but truth is bitter. Unless we call these things out the way there are, nothing would change. It is what Fela called suffering and smiling. Where there are no consequences , people behave anyhow. I raised a question which you have not addressed, how do you get you money from defaulting client in Nigeria? Except you want to tell us that you clients never default.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:17pm On Jul 21, 2021
sonnie10:

It is a very different society whether one agrees or not but truth is bitter. Where there are no consequences, people behave anyhow. I raised a question which you have not addressed, how do you get you money from defaulting client in Nigeria? Except you want to tell us that you clients never default

I don’t have to tell you anything Sir.

Have a nice evening.

PS: Please I’m trying to save my energy to continue digesting Ileya meat.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:22pm On Jul 21, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I don’t have to tell you anything Sir.

Have a nice evening.

PS: Please I’m trying to save my energy to continue digesting Ileya meat.

The truth is, you have nothing to tell.
Another truth is that you have never used your money to do people's jobs in Nigeria
Enjoy your meat

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:33pm On Jul 21, 2021
sonnie10:

The truth is, you have nothing to tell.
Another truth is that you have never used your money to do people's jobs in Nigeria
Enjoy your meat

if you ever want to succeed in Nigeria, don't execute contract with your own money.

Forget American standard.

My big oga made delivery last week without receiving his balance, the client never respond to his chats and calls. Imagine if he's not bouyant enough to accommodate such delay

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mayorlikeu(m): 8:33pm On Jul 21, 2021
How much can one build a 4 bedroom bungalow in oshogbo ..just like total sum from start to finishing level

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:35pm On Jul 21, 2021
I refuse to believe that POP is the only way to go for ceiling in Nigeria.

I’ll like to see other materials that others have used recently.

Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 8:36pm On Jul 21, 2021
mayorlikeu:
How much can one build a 4 bedroom bungalow in oshogbo ..just like total sum from start to finishing level

I think builders would like to see your floor plan before giving a guesstimate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 8:41pm On Jul 21, 2021
michlins:
if you ever want to succeed in Nigeria, don't execute contract with your own money.

Forget American standard.

My big oga made delivery last week without receiving his balance, the client never respond to his chats and calls. Imagine if he's not bouyant enough to accommodate such delay

There are enough clients with their cash in Nigeria looking for reliable and trusted contractors. That is why the reputable contractors are too busy to listen to stories of deferred payment. The only exception is when you have established a good working relationship with a client over time. In fact the way it works is that what you must have gained in the past is bigger that what you are committing. And you have your eyes on future deals.

Nobody puts their money on peoples project. Even banks do not give loans without collateral.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 8:52pm On Jul 21, 2021
sonnie10:

There are enough clients with their cash in Nigeria looking for reliable and trusted contractors. That is why the reputable contractors are too busy to listen to stories of deferred payment. The only exception is when you have established a good working relationship with a client over time. In fact the way it works is that what you must have gained in the past is bigger that what you are committing. And you have your eyes on future deals.

Nobody puts their money on peoples project. Even banks do not give loans without collateral.
this was a returning customer of his who just had his 3 storey hotel project sink into the ground. The just did the parapet.

Happened in ukpor Nnewi south. Anyone around will see the millions that was sunk into the project. Unfortunately,it fell
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jasobry: 9:04pm On Jul 21, 2021
I'm trying to put up something different from the conventional bricks... Using broken Spanish or China floor tiles,cut into bricks sizes for my pillars.. I chose black with gold effects.. using white coloured pigments cement. Hope it comes out well

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2333) (2334) (2335) (2336) (2337) (2338) (2339) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: BabaChicago(m), waley007(m), hamtabfawaz(m), truthbetold22 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.