Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,533 members, 7,812,653 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:55 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4376716 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2341) (2342) (2343) (2344) (2345) (2346) (2347) ... (3664) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 5:17pm On Jul 24, 2021
[quote author=Dijita post=104046298][/quote]

Whatsapp: 08027233899
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dominionng(m): 5:19pm On Jul 24, 2021
kopell:
Can you explain what you’re referring to as screeding in precast POP. If am not mistaking you’re referring to sheetrock as we call it abi. If it is what do you screed on it, the joint of everything you do I believe ishould be part of your job to bring the finishing out to apply paint when finished. Can you post some of your job samples to understand what you mean by screeding on sheetrock. I’m thinking of it myself because of a lot of advantages it’s as, my concern is just the extra woods that may require in above average project.

POP precast ceiling is totally different from Sheetrock.

Image1: Sheetrock during screeding

Image 2: Precast POP after screeding with laser cut

Image 3: Precast POP after screeding

Image 4: Sheetrock after screeding

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 6:28pm On Jul 24, 2021
Ok, looks like the complainant has not posted since the last time , I checked his post history and didn’t see anything. Perhaps it’s safe to assume the borehole saga has ended in praise?

I saw diordaves’ post about boreholes. I really think it’s high time regular posters in this section lobbied the Admin for active moderation. An educative post like that gets lost in an off topic thread like this. It’s so easy to miss that post as you skip and jump past the fluff. It makes no sense that the business section with a lot less monetary commitments has active moderation yet this place with so much more money movements is left unsupervised.

First step is for the regular posters to suggest / appoint an active moderator(s) from amongst you, someone who is here daily and has no conflict of interest. Definitely not a builder/vendor/supplier and preferably not a customer (potential for hidden motive). If a customer, then someone able to recuse when cases of fraud/misrepresentation are brought forward and their neutrality can be called into question.

Having an escrow(s) would be a good idea too but considering the amounts of money that flow through here, you have to be very , very careful about that. I would even recommend having a lawyer involved (depending on the value of the transaction) for a small fee and make sure the escrow account is accessible in case something were to (God forbid) happen to the escrow eg there have been stories of cryptocurrency website owners disappearing with people’s money and nobody has access to their wallets.

There should be a stickied information thread with links to basic information about borehole construction, how to calculate materials for fencing, tiling, painting, roofing, foundation, what to ask an estate agent if you’re looking to rent/buy, best practices for instalmental payments depending on industry, and the millions of other basic knowledge items around real estate in Nigeria. No adverts, no stories (warn, then ban offenders on the second offence ) just on-topics posts only for those basic information threads.

Let this thread remain off topic for the banters and stories but for those with no interest in them, have a stickied thread with links to other threads for basic information subjects.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 6:59pm On Jul 24, 2021
kopell:
Can you explain what you’re referring to as screeding in precast POP. If am not mistaking you’re referring to sheetrock as we call it abi. If it is what do you screed on it, the joint of everything you do I believe ishould be part of your job to bring the finishing out to apply paint when finished. Can you post some of your job samples to understand what you mean by screeding on sheetrock. I’m thinking of it myself because of a lot of advantages it’s as, my concern is just the extra woods that may require in above average project.
So a duplex project of about #50M is built on owner provides materials terms. The contractor would need planks cut into a 9 inch for pouring of lintel frame concrete. The issue now is that contractor wants owner to go to sawmill and do the cutting and bring to him since it’s part of materials agreed to be provided.
Owner is insisting that woods come in standard sizes and any technical modifications must be done by the contractor.
In small construction jobs, other minor details would emerge during execution which was not initial part of the standard agreement like the screeding you mentioned.
Not that both parties did know about those variations but they only choose to assume that it is the other persons responsibility.
Detailed communication and transparency is key in building relationships.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:07pm On Jul 24, 2021
BuildingProject:

I think I like this approach well cause a contractor that I awarded a job to and has been mobilized since June 17th. Out of 1.4m you've received 1.150 and you've not completed half of the job, you're using just only one laborer and you want to collect the remaining balance without even finishing the work. All in the name of Trust me boss smiley

I’m trying to understand your message.

Who is the “you” that you’re talking about here?

... because vultures have gathered o grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sammypope(m): 8:35pm On Jul 24, 2021
LAND FOR SALE!!!
Plot 194 Gbagalape layout Nyanya Abuja. Size 1000 Square Meter. Price 4m negotiable
Right of occupancy and other Amac documents.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:23pm On Jul 24, 2021
BuildingProject:

I think I like this approach well cause a contractor that I awarded a job to and has been mobilized since June 17th. Out of 1.4m you've received 1.150 and you've not completed half of the job, you're using just only one laborer and you want to collect the remaining balance without even finishing the work. All in the name of Trust me boss smiley

That's serious
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 9:59pm On Jul 24, 2021
MMotimo:
Ok, looks like the complainant has not posted since the last time , I checked his post history and didn’t see anything. Perhaps it’s safe to assume the borehole saga has ended in praise?

I saw diordaves’ post about boreholes. I really think it’s high time regular posters in this section lobbied the Admin for active moderation. An educative post like that gets lost in an off topic thread like this. It’s so easy to miss that post as you skip and jump past the fluff. It makes no sense that the business section with a lot less monetary commitments has active moderation yet this place with so much more money movements is left unsupervised.

First step is for the regular posters to suggest / appoint an active moderator(s) from amongst you, someone who is here daily and has no conflict of interest. Definitely not a builder/vendor/supplier and preferably not a customer (potential for hidden motive). If a customer, then someone able to recuse when cases of fraud/misrepresentation are brought forward and their neutrality can be called into question.

Having an escrow(s) would be a good idea too but considering the amounts of money that flow through here, you have to be very , very careful about that. I would even recommend having a lawyer involved (depending on the value of the transaction) for a small fee and make sure the escrow account is accessible in case something were to (God forbid) happen to the escrow eg there have been stories of cryptocurrency website owners disappearing with people’s money and nobody has access to their wallets.

There should be a stickied information thread with links to basic information about borehole construction, how to calculate materials for fencing, tiling, painting, roofing, foundation, what to ask an estate agent if you’re looking to rent/buy, best practices for instalmental payments depending on industry, and the millions of other basic knowledge items around real estate in Nigeria. No adverts, no stories (warn, then ban offenders on the second offence ) just on-topics posts only for those basic information threads.

Let this thread remain off topic for the banters and stories but for those with no interest in them, have a stickied thread with links to other threads for basic information subjects.

There is a non active moderator (Lawyer) or omonilelawyer. Hajji M was once an active moderator but it's not public what went wrong. Rumour had it Hajji M was banning too much, but the owners wanted all the shenanigans as these generate traffic. Not confirmed rumours though.

But I'm with you, this forum needs an active moderator and moderating. Without this forum, the property section is dead as this forum is the fulcrum or engine room that feeds other property threads traffic wise. There's a missed opportunity here for the owners I must say.

Regarding the escrow account, this can be done either by the owners or privately by members. If done by the owners/operators, this will come with a huge legal implications and responsibilities and even an overhaul of their business strategies and concept. These I don't think they are ready to do.

It must be mentioned that escrow account is useless and hopeless for certain situations in the building trade like in the construction sub-sector. Here the builders are normally mobilized hugely upfront to buy materials so rendering an escrow useless. Escrow is only effective with the supply sub-trade.

Escrow is doable but the initiative should come from the builders and suppliers only then can we help in planning and operation.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BuildingProject: 10:07pm On Jul 24, 2021
n3xt:

I’m trying to understand your message.

Who is the “you” that you’re talking about here?

... because vultures have gathered o grin

You is just a word used to direct my message to the person. Not you in person. You Don dey fear? Lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 10:37pm On Jul 24, 2021
BuildingProject:

You is just a word used to direct my message to the person. Not you in person. You Don dey fear? Lol

Fear Izzit the money involved? Or what exactly will be the cause of my fear?

I’ve seen your message. Let me step in and see how we can tidy this up.

Una don try sef grin

As yoruba people will say, if you do party and plate no break that party never complete.

Let’s treat this as one of the broken plates grin Thanks for sharing with me.

______

Expect me in your dm right away grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johnnyemy: 10:52pm On Jul 24, 2021
Please can someone give me the quotation for the attached window casement and burglary?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:39pm On Jul 24, 2021
sonnie10:

So a duplex project of about #50M is built on owner provides materials terms. The contractor would need planks cut into a 9 inch for pouring of lintel frame concrete. The issue now is that contractor wants owner to go to sawmill and do the cutting and bring to him since it’s part of materials agreed to be provided.
Owner is insisting that woods come in standard sizes and any technical modifications must be done by the contractor.
In small construction jobs, other minor details would emerge during execution which was not initial part of the standard agreement like the screeding you mentioned.
Not that both parties did know about those variations but they only choose to assume that it is the other persons responsibility.

The person supplying the owner has to cut the 9" from the sawmill.
Nobody buys full plank and cuts it to 9" at site.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 11:56pm On Jul 24, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Thanks for your input. We move.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by RockOfAgesAlumi(m): 12:19am On Jul 25, 2021
Johnnyemy:
Please can someone give me the quotation for the attached window casement and burglary?

Casement window with burglary and net
900 x 5000-180k
1800 x 1200-68
1500 x 1200-58k
1200 x 1200-43k
900 x 900-33k
This is the price for each
If you don't mind I can handle the project for you sir
Thanks

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 1:14am On Jul 25, 2021
diordaves:

There is a non active moderator (Lawyer) or omonilelawyer. Hajji M was once an active moderator but it's not public what went wrong. Rumour had it Hajji M was banning too much, but the owners wanted all the shenanigans as these generate traffic. Not confirmed rumours though.

My brother, if I knew or was told by Seun why I was removed as a Moderator, it would have been nice, but unfortunately nobody ever gave me a reason.
But I concluded that my overworked and over-active moderatoship was too much and bad for business was the reason.
I was not paid for Moderatorship duty or any other kind of benefits; I was doing it for the benefit of the Properties Forums. How much can they pay me?
After I was removed, I told them to go "suck a lemon". I can NEVER see them coming back to me to be a Moderator again. It will be an insult.
For those close to @Seun, you can tell him what I just said above. Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

18 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Flakky26(f): 1:40am On Jul 25, 2021
need an office/shop space around banex , wuse 2 axis, Abuja . 25sqm above. Send me a chat and picture to zero8093one8374three
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:05am On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

I don’t understand this though?

So what exactly does the labour fee in construction cover?

Assuming you chose to use native boards instead, will it be sawn into sizes by the supplier?

Another good example is iron rods, would it be supplied according to the bending schedule?

The only thing contractors should worry about in a labour only construction contract is timely delivery and the quality the of materials supplied and nothing more.

cc: sonnie10
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cassie74: 7:04am On Jul 25, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Today cement price inthe FCT:
N2900 - Kwali-G.lada-Kuje axis;
N3050 - Dei-dei axis;
N3150 - Apo- Gudu axis.

I need 300 bags...can you help...Apo-gudu
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:59am On Jul 25, 2021
Dominionng:

Hummmm. Thanks for the explanation. What is the average thickness of those precast POP, do you used extra woods when you install them or you hang them as the regular POP. I need to be educated so I can make better decisions in my choice, others like me can learn as well. How much do you charge per SQM including screeding
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:04am On Jul 25, 2021
Dominionng:

Is sheetrock cheaper I think the edges are sharper than precast.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:11am On Jul 25, 2021
n3xt:

I don’t understand this though?

So what exactly does the labour fee in construction cover?

Assuming you chose to use native boards instead, will it be sawn into sizes by the supplier?

Another good example is iron rods, would it be supplied according to the bending schedule?

The only thing contractors should worry about in a labour only construction contract is timely delivery and the quality the of materials supplied and nothing more.

cc: sonnie10

Errrmm.. I guess you're asking this question to throw open the discussion?

If you're doing lintels, does your carpentar cut across the 12feet grain of the wood on site? For a typical 4 bedroom flat, you need about 20pcs of 9" boards.

It will take them approximately 2-3mins to saw it at the mill, it will take your carpentar alot of stress and hours to cut across the 12feet length of 20pcs of wood.

It's easier cutting rods to sizes on site. The cutter doesn't even take 2 seconds.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:12am On Jul 25, 2021
KelvinCoaster:

Today cement price inthe FCT:
N2900 - Kwali-G.lada-Kuje axis;
N3050 - Dei-dei axis;
N3150 - Apo- Gudu axis.

Why the F*** is it 3800 in Ibadan.
And I bought 4,000 in Abeokuta last week.

Cement prices really digging a hole in my project budget.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 8:25am On Jul 25, 2021
What's your budget please?

Flakky26:
need an office/shop space around banex , wuse 2 axis, Abuja . 25sqm above. Send me a chat and picture to zero8093one8374three
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:36am On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Errrmm.. I guess you're asking this question to throw open the discussion?

If you're doing lintels, does your carpentar cut across the 12feet grain of the wood on site? For a typical 4 bedroom flat, you need about 20pcs of 9" boards.

It will take them approximately 2-3mins to saw it at the mill, it will take your carpentar alot of stress and hours to cut across the 12feet length of 20pcs of wood.

It's easier cutting rods to sizes on site. The cutter doesn't even take 2 seconds.

Now I understand your point.

I was on 6 units of building recently, we did all the wood cuttings on site because I have all the tools to do that live on site and my carpenter didn’t charged me extra money for doing that.

As a matter of fact, he only bring people who are familiar with the use of machines to the site and use those who uncomfortable with it to do other works.

I think this is easier for me because I’m in formwork rental business and you don’t just cut woods anyhow on my projects.
All our woods are to cut-to-measure and only we only cut when it’s extremely important.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 8:48am On Jul 25, 2021
mufutau55:

My brother, if I knew or was told by Seun why I was removed as a Moderator, it would have been nice, but unfortunately nobody ever gave me a reason.
But I concluded that my overworked and over-active moderatoship was too much and bad for business was the reason.
I was not paid for Moderatorship duty or any other kind of benefits; I was doing it for the benefit of the Properties Forums. How much can they pay me?
After I was removed, I told them to go "suck a lemon". I can NEVER see them coming back to me to be a Moderator again. It will be an insult.
For those close to Seun, you can tell him what I just said above. Thank you Sir.

Hajji M.

The guy is all about money, does not care about anything else.
This is why the forum has remained the way it is today.

Talking as an insider!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 8:54am On Jul 25, 2021
sonnie10:

There is no need to drag this, the engineer gave you the sizes and numbers of the woods he needs just as you explained. I don’t know your location, in Lagos you can easily get 9 inches already saw down woods, it’s also available in 6 inches. I have similar experience. I supply my engineer all he need in regards to those sizes. I don’t think any carpenter will saw 20 pcs of 1x12 to size even when he own cycler saw to cut them

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 9:00am On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

The guy is all about money, does not care about anything else.
This is why the forum has remained the way it is today.

Talking as an insider!
I'm not sure about that. If he's for the money,why is this site like this for years with no significant improvement.

He's not business savvy and can't stomach business risks. He has seen a working model and stuck with it.

Create controversy and let people drag it out to generate traffic. That's why tribalism and ethnic fracas reign supreme here

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:04am On Jul 25, 2021
michlins:
I'm not sure about that. If he's for the money,why is this site like this for years with no significant improvement.

He's not business savvy and can't stomach business risks. He has seen a working model and stuck with it.

Create controversy and let people drag it out to generate traffic. That's why tribalism and ethnic fracas reign supreme here

You won't understand
Check the kind of threads that make HP
check what has remained the hallmark of the forum.

That he has refused to upgrade the forum is another pointer to what I said.

Once tribalism and other forms of abuse are checkmated, he stands a chance of losing money from the traffic tribalists generate for him which further proves my point of him being all about money.

Didn't start today, been like this for years.

Some of us left on our own accord.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:16am On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Co ask.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 9:21am On Jul 25, 2021
kopell:
There is no need to drag this, the engineer gave you the sizes and numbers of the woods he needs just as you explained. I don’t know your location, in Lagos you can easily get 9 inches already saw down woods, it’s also available in 6 inches. I have similar experience. I supply my engineer all he need in regards to those sizes. I don’t think any carpenter will saw 20 pcs of 1x12 to size even when he own cycler saw to cut them

Absolutely no need.

My guys tell me what they need and I supply it as requested. It’s on me as the GC.

We can’t compare iron bender and carpenter work and request.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 10:08am On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

I bought Unicem #3400 last week in Imo State.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Quitam: 10:26am On Jul 25, 2021
My ogas in the house,
Please how can i estimate the labor cost for plastering of my bungalow? The mason quoted 150 bags of cement for the 220 sqm house. NB: it includes a 1-step concrete fascia. Thanks Sirs

(1) (2) (3) ... (2341) (2342) (2343) (2344) (2345) (2346) (2347) ... (3664) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dannie007(m), RockOfAgesAlumi(m), SurveyorGeo, FemiHKE(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.