Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,279 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:12 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4368062 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2342) (2343) (2344) (2345) (2346) (2347) (2348) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 10:38am On Jul 25, 2021
Regarding site.

1) The low bandwidth style of site is perfect and shouldn’t be messed with. It loads fast and can get used on subpar phones.

2) Properties needs better moderation. This is why we get inundated with all sorts of nonsense ads like perfumes and dog mating. Nigerians are just natural law breakers who needs a firm hand.

3) It’s been my opinion that traffic, of any kind, is good for the bottom line on here. God knows I’ve been a provider for them grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:04am On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

The guy is all about money, does not care about anything else.
This is why the forum has remained the way it is today.

Talking as an insider!

I think it’s kinda tough for the guy especially with the calibre of people he surround himself with, to move from the realm of accidental success to the realm of habitual achievement.

Emphasis on the bolded because it is often difficult for entrepreneurs (young or old) to self-analyze their growth and progress without a right mentor or coach - not just yes men!

I think Seun is surrounded by yes-men!

_______

Paystack is a great example of a great business by young naijapreneurs with good mentors. The difference is clear!

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:08am On Jul 25, 2021
n3xt:

I think it’s kinda tough for the guy especially with the calibre of people he surround himself with, to move from the realm of accidental success to the realm of habitual achievement.

Emphasis on the bolded because it is often difficult for entrepreneurs (young or old) to self-analyze their growth and progress without a right mentor or coach - not just yes men!

I think Seun is surrounded by yes-men!

He fires those who have different opinions.

He surrounded himself with those that wouldn't question him.

Again, this is me talking from experience.

N. B = Not like he was paying anyone then to moderate.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:38am On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

He fires those we have different opinions.

I know this.
I had discussion with our sleepy mod 10 years ago and I can tell nairaland is just an accidental success. Baba was just blabbing... Nothing like strategic planning, team depth, training, leadership, goals, etc was discussed because there was none. Everything is as the spirit led.

I got the rudest shock of my life when I heard that the biggest forum in Nigeria (abi west Africa or subsahara Africa) was only registered as a business enterprise. It tells a lot about us out there!

Abi oyinbo no go know?

We just like doing the comfortable things. Once it works, just leave it o! The up NEPA thingy!

It’s well!

_______

Let’s not be in a rush to blame only Seun though.

Blame his environment which believes once you gather money to open a shop, you’re automatically a professional in your field of endeavor. No need for trainings or support.
Everyone here is a professional so long you have a thread, a phone number and Instagram page grin

Blame everyone of us who believe this is our best just like we believed 12 hours light a day is a great news grin

Blame those who think moderation is all about wielding the big stick and not stewarding people towards doing things right and not just doing right things (the wrong way) and using the platform to make them become better in their businesses.
I felt bad hearing our own dominionng complained bitterly about the system that runs here and guess what we are all silent like it’s nothing.

Do I expect anything? No!

______

One thing I really love about nairaland is that I can use the platform to talk sense into us and no one can beat me!

Nairaland community is by extension our own Nigeria. What are you doing to make it better

Everyone can complain. Leaders make a difference.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mykel51(m): 11:39am On Jul 25, 2021
Hello Fam

I need a tire bulldozer for site clearance at Sangotedo. Can anyone assist with leads ?

Thanks

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:40am On Jul 25, 2021
Thank you @somehow for all you do. It matters a lot!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 11:48am On Jul 25, 2021
Mykel51:
Hello Fam

I need a tire bulldozer for site clearance at Sangotedo. Can anyone assist with leads ?

Thanks

I’m curious about pricing for this.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:53am On Jul 25, 2021
n3xt:

I know this.
I had discussion with our sleepy mod 10 years ago and I can tell nairaland is just an accidental success. Baba was just blabbing... Nothing like strategic planning, team depth, training, leadership, goals, etc was discussed because there was none. Everything is as the spirit led.

I got the rudest shock of my life when I heard that the biggest forum in Nigeria (abi west Africa or subsahara Africa) was only registered as a business enterprise. It tells a lot about us out there!

Abi oyinbo no go know?

We just like doing the comfortable things. Once it works, just leave it o! The up NEPA thingy!

It’s well!

_______

Blame his environment which believes once you gather money to open a shop, you’re automatically a professional in your field of endeavor. No need for trainings or support.
Everyone here is a professional so long you have a thread, a phone number and Instagram page grin

Blame everyone of us who believe this is our best just like we believed 12 hours light a day is a great news grin

Blame those who think moderation is all about wielding the big stick and not stewarding people towards doing things right and not just doing right things (the wrong way) and using the platform to make them become better in their businesses.
I felt bad hearing our own dominionng complained bitterly about the system that runs here and guess what we are all silent like it’s nothing.

______

One thing I really love about nairaland is that I can use the platform to talk sense into us and no one can beat me!

Nairaland community is by extension our own Nigeria. What are you doing to make it better

Nairaland is Nigeria online.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 11:55am On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

Yep!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

He fires those who have different opinions.

What? shocked

I thought he pays moderators a lot of money oh,cuz I saw an advertisement he made for moderator post back in 2014 abi 2013,he said the applicants must be graduates with good CV and blah blah. Why ask for all that when you won't pay them? Which graduate with good CV will even want to moderate the site 24/7 without pay?

Maybe it was when this forum just started newly that he wasn't paying but rn,he pays.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 25, 2021
n3xt:

I know this.

Abi oyinbo no go know?

It’s well!

_______

______

By sleeping mod you mean law.yer?
He comes online everyday, y'all here are lucky. What will you say about moderators that haven't been online in 4-6 years? cheesy

Go to the food,fashion,music and other sections and you'll see moderators that haven't been online since 2014,2015,2016,2017 e,t,c. you can't tell if they're dead or just forgot about the site.

This site is trash,if not how'll moderators be out of service for that long and they won't be replaced? I can bet my balls that seu.n doesn't know those moderators have been inactive for a very very long time,he probably doesn't check up on his moderators to know what happens in their lives offline. Such a pathetic leader.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 1:13pm On Jul 25, 2021
sinorte:

What I can infer from this is that it's better to have the two of them on site at the same time. I'd have preferred to have the cleaning done after painting, but I'm just worried about the cleaners messing up the painting during cleaning.

A good painter will do clean up once after painting.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 1:15pm On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

I don't think it's all doom and gloom with Nairaland. Over the years, there have been many measurable positives and successes with the site. Some of us here in this forum have done businesses and personal projects successfully through Nairaland one way or another with value of over 100 million Naira. This I know as a matter of fact if it means speaking for myself. So it's not all gloom and doom.

However, the owners over the years have demonstrated shocking lack of investment into the business (site). Typically Nigerian. We all expected an overhaul of strategy and repositioning of the site after the data loss some years back but to no avail.

The owners must move away from generating income only from targeted ads and learn from global sites.

Ebay started out as an auction site for second hand goods, today it is a global market place.

Amazon started out as an online bookshop, today Amazon is in the space business among others.

Facebook started out as a reunion platform, today it is a market place.

The owners should sit themselves down and come out with solutions bordering on how they could generate income from the millions of property trades going on in this forum. They could start with providing escrow service, verification and certification of professionals, artisan, skills trade and suppliers.

Businesses that stand the test of time are those businesses that are renewed periodically to take advantage of current opportunities. Nairaland is just too set in its moribund ways.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 1:17pm On Jul 25, 2021
Ok
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 1:23pm On Jul 25, 2021
My last project was all pay on delivery save for chekitaut and ceiling(pay and collect) but I would never advice that an artisan or contractor use their own money to carry out work as there are too many unscrupulous Nigerians that are prepared to bankrupt you and place an order when they do not have the money or they feel they can steal from each other.

If a product is being made, I give an advance to enable them buy the materials. Does one get burned occasionally absolutely I just try to do my due diligence and agree date of delivery or choose to buy the materials wherever possible to limit my exposure. Too many ole developers/house owners and ole contractors or artisans.

A dishonest Nigerian is not cured of his dishonesty just because he travels out of Nigeria. y
EgunMogaji2:

So you are going to do the clients work with your money. I thought this is not done in Nigeria grin

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:00pm On Jul 25, 2021
gabbytabby:
My last project was all pay on delivery save for chekitaut and ceiling(pay and collect) but I would never advice that an artisan or contractor use their own money to carry out work as there are too many unscrupulous Nigerians that are prepared to bankrupt you and place an order when they do not have the money or they feel they can steal from each other.

If a product is being made, I give an advance to enable them buy the materials. Does one get burned occasionally absolutely I just try to do my due diligence and agree date of delivery or choose to buy the materials wherever possible to limit my exposure. Too many ole developers/house owners and ole contractors or artisans.

A dishonest Nigerian is not cured of his dishonesty just because he travels out of Nigeria.

Absolutely. This is why it doesn't make a difference to me wether the client is from Lalupon or Ireland. The same business decision process is applied.

I do business with my own money and I can't be burned. If I am burned Nigeria has a very good and working judicial system.

My way is not the only way and I am not out to change anyones business ideology.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:00pm On Jul 25, 2021
n3xt:

Now I understand your point.

I was on 6 units of building recently, we did all the wood cuttings on site because I have all the tools to do that live on site and my carpenter didn’t charged me extra money for doing that.

As a matter of fact, he only bring people who are familiar with the use of machines to the site and use those who uncomfortable with it to do other works.

I think this is easier for me because I’m in formwork rental business and you don’t just cut woods anyhow on my projects.
All our woods are to cut-to-measure and only we only cut when it’s extremely important.

Six (6 ) units of building is understandable because of volume. You be big man.

For me to do it on a single unit at a site, I have to move my electric saw to site, get electricity / generator, mount a work table, also factor in wear and tear, time etc.

So for the question @sonnie10 asked which was a SINGLE DUPLEX, it makes more sense to cut it at the mill. It will cost 500 - 600 naira for 20pcs of wood.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:03pm On Jul 25, 2021
Mykel51:
Hello Fam

Thanks

Just go along the road btw ajah- ogidan bus stops you will get them there.

I did this at ikorodu for 90k
Demolition of 3 bedrooms old building / top soil excavation plus packing .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:16pm On Jul 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

Absolutely no need.

My guys tell me what they need and I supply it as requested. It’s on me as the GC.

We can’t compare iron bender and carpenter work and request.

Exactly.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:17pm On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

For me to do it on a single unit at a site, I have to move my electric saw to site, get electricity / generator, mount a work table, also factor in wear and tear, time etc.

So for the question @sonnie10 asked which was a SINGLE DUPLEX, it makes more sense to cut it at the mill. It will cost 500 - 600 naira for 20pcs of wood.

It’s well!

We have different definition for big man sha.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 3:21pm On Jul 25, 2021
Quitam:
My ogas in the house,
Please how can i estimate the labor cost for plastering of my bungalow? The mason quoted 150 bags of cement for the 220 sqm house. NB: it includes a 1-step concrete fascia. Thanks Sirs

I really doubt you will need 150bags of cement.

Labour fees, if you’re going by the Nairaland way of estimating 2 bricklayer for 1 room, then you will spend 100k or less grin

In real life, you will spend about 250k depending on other factors

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 3:27pm On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

Labour fees, if you’re going by the Nairaland way of estimating 2 bricklayer for 1 room, then you will spend 100k or less grin

Nairaland BS Code grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 4:11pm On Jul 25, 2021
somehow:

The guy is all about money, does not care about anything else.
This is why the forum has remained the way it is today.

Talking as an insider!

Thank you. Now I realized that o.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

My current project is on my homestead. I have ALL the wood massaging tools on hand and I still cut at the mill.

Division of labor and concept of familiarity are key with me.

Now my kitchen cabinets will be cut in house for optimum perfection.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 4:38pm On Jul 25, 2021
KolaShangOne:

I’m paying N350K for Casa Ava. My Mason wanted N300K but I’ll add N50K for what I’m seeing him do,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:46pm On Jul 25, 2021
EgunMogaji2:

I’m paying N350K for Casa Ava. My Mason wanted N300K but I’ll add N50K for what I’m seeing him do,
God bless you sir for the good gesture

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 5:00pm On Jul 25, 2021
Grate jobs
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 5:01pm On Jul 25, 2021
We are still here for your pop designs and installations

https://www.nairaland.com/6564561/pop-design-tv-wall-installation/16
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:05pm On Jul 25, 2021
twinskenny:
God bless you sir for the good gesture

Its the way I am with artisans. When yoruba says “ki ako ire oko dele”, my interpretation is that I support people who are hustling legitimately with my spoils of war from the abroad.

They are originally here just for plastering for 3 weeks but they’ll be lucky to get away for 3 months because I’ve increased the scope of work. They’ve already built my K9 center, now they’ll do window hoods, flooring of one section of the compound and plastering the fence.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MMotimo: 5:08pm On Jul 25, 2021
diordaves:

There is a non active moderator (Lawyer) or omonilelawyer. Hajji M was once an active moderator but it's not public what went wrong. Rumour had it Hajji M was banning too much, but the owners wanted all the shenanigans as these generate traffic. Not confirmed rumours though.

But I'm with you, this forum needs an active moderator and moderating. Without this forum, the property section is dead as this forum is the fulcrum or engine room that feeds other property threads traffic wise. There's a missed opportunity here for the owners I must say.

Regarding the escrow account, this can be done either by the owners or privately by members. If done by the owners/operators, this will come with a huge legal implications and responsibilities and even an overhaul of their business strategies and concept. These I don't think they are ready to do.

It must be mentioned that escrow account is useless and hopeless for certain situations in the building trade like in the construction sub-sector. Here the builders are normally mobilized hugely upfront to buy materials so rendering an escrow useless. Escrow is only effective with the supply sub-trade.

Escrow is doable but the initiative should come from the builders and suppliers only then can we help in planning and operation.

Good to know re escrow limitations with huge sums.

I guess we’ll never know why this section has no active moderating. One would think that a professional like lawyer would want to protect his name/reputation and do the job he apparently volunteered for rather than be a mod in name only. Of what use is being a mod when you abandon the role for years on end? Gross dereliction of duty (yes, even if you’re not being paid), very unbecoming of someone from the “learned profession.” If you can’t do the job, the right thing to do is resign honourably but I guess resignation is taboo. Even ineffective Buhari would never consider it, it’s the Nigerian way.

I admire the way justwise moderates the travel section. It’s another section that could have threads falling down the abyss all the time + generating huge sums for fraudsters but he does a very good job. Some would not agree with his level of moderation and would see it as too strict but overall, he does a pretty good job. Someone mentioned renumeration - my understanding is that only the supermods get paid for moderating.

I don’t come here regularly but even with my lack of frequency, it’s easy to notice the repeated requests for how to calculate materials. Just one on-topic thread could handle those requests. Oh well!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rexology: 6:12pm On Jul 25, 2021
Greetings to POP experts here. Please how many bags of pop cement and kg of filler are expected to complete 121 sqm?
Which pop cement can you recommend?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:36pm On Jul 25, 2021

A dishonest Nigerian is not cured of his dishonesty just because he travelled out of Nigeria.

#WordOnMarble

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2342) (2343) (2344) (2345) (2346) (2347) (2348) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Rany4all(m), money121(m), Scrap, gentlesoul83(m), psychologist(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.