Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,756 members, 7,809,910 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:02 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2370) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4369187 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2367) (2368) (2369) (2370) (2371) (2372) (2373) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 1:27pm On Aug 09, 2021
spyder880:

Let brotherly (and sisterly) love continue. Good morning Sir.

Good morning Oga Patapata.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bigwig02(m): 1:55pm On Aug 09, 2021
Please Cost of Setting a Suckaway for 3bedroom flat...? Block already available.... Building my my little castle gradually, achieving step per month... So a well and less budget plan needed...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 2:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
Discretion seriously advised.

Warning to artisans: https://instagram.com/tv/CEJgckQpw1Z/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 3:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
spyder880:
TRUST!

If only we know how strong these five letters are in this world. Those five letter are the foundation on which most successful businesses are formed, and retained. Everyone needs trust, trust builds goodwill, which is one of the essential ingredients for success in every business transaction. The contractors and workmen needs trust, the clients needs trust, the suppliers needs trust also.

The big question is; how do we know who to trust?

Trust is such a tricky trait that many people fake it, suppliers of materials can be supplying you with genuine products until one day, Blam! Out of the blues, they hit you with a severe fake product, or run away with your money entirely. Happens with contractors and clients too.

Many of us are products of the trust people reposed in us, I have been working for many years as a contractor, there have been good clients we worked for. In fact, excellent will be a better description. I was lured out of my full time well paying work at a popular multinational company by a client from this forum. The client convinced me to come and build his house in 2013, he paid me even before I started the work, and when I failed with the quotation going against me, he saw it as my inexperience in working in riverine areas, and promptly asked me to redraw a budget, then he paid me again to complete the work.

This same client was there to help me with every bit of information and advice, even technical skills as he was also in the engineering industry. My second and third major projects here were in that same estate, connected by the same client. I remember the day he convinced his colleague to transfer a huge amount of money to me for another new project, the client was afraid, but he told the client that if I defaulted, he will pay back the money. Such trust was rare, and I know it was God's love working. I just resigned from my then employment and went full time, building houses. I am eternally grateful to this young man, and have called him in the past to always express my appreciation for his helping me to start strong.

I have also trusted in my subordinates, the young professionals I brought into the industry, the young graduates I hired to work with me, the skilled workers who did every bit of work. Some turned out good while some, well, did what they wanted. Some old workers of mine walked away with my money in a site this year, but it's his own loss, not mine. I have brought and guided the ones that I can trust here online and many of them are actively building houses and practicing here and elsewhere, some very successful already.

I won't deceive myself to think it's just luck, or hardwork. I think its because of the help of the almighty God, the author and finisher of our faith. He is all able, almighty and the all and all.

Clients could be very difficult, but like I was taught in a Super-management training course in my former company, the customer is always right. We should only be careful not to lose money while observing their rights, we should try to please them in every way, and when we fall short of pleasing our clients, we should be open and ready to amend the situation. We are all humans and although its difficult, we can at least get a pass mark for our services.

We should also be honest, and upfront with the services we intend to render, if I am painting a house for a client for instance, I will ask for details of who goes home with the empty drums after painting, or what happens with the used planks and wood after the project is finished. These details will help in sorting out issues in the future. And when all else fails, if taking some small loss in the project won't kill us, let's take it and walk away far, to avoid problems. Such small losses will pay our tuition fees for the next few jobs, teaching us in vivid terms, how to avoid more losses.

I have taken a fair amount of losses in this field, sometimes big, sometimes small, but I always try to stay within the budget. My family will never forget April - July 2011, when I used my 4 months salary from my day job to be doing a clients work because I under quoted, and I wanted to complete the work. We went hungry and didn't have food in the house. I have also been saved from taking serious beatings when costs go against me. God bless all my clients, they have sometimes come to my rescue, paying up hundreds of thousands when it's clear I misquoted, or the market turned against our agreed budgets. God will bless you all.

I also remember paying back hundreds of thousands of naira, even millions in some cases, when I am overpaid by mistake. The client I completed his 6 flats this year in Enugu East, overpaid me by over N740,000 for some groups of jobs in the finish of the house, I called him and asked how much he paid, my Oga was sounding annoyed and insisting that he has completed the payments, I called him again to please check the amount he paid, because he paid for everything in the list, even when two of the items on the list are options to the others, when he realised he has overpaid me, he was very happy that I pointed it out, because a lot of people will just pretend they didn't see it, and go ahead and spend the money on themselves. This happened again this year, on the tall bungalow I am building now, this one is an overpayment of N366,900. I pointed it out and the client just added it in the next payment and deducted his money, with thanks. Honesty is a very good policy. The best policy in fact.

I urge all the young people in our midst, and indeed all of us, to approach business with honesty, both contractors, suppliers and clients, the most enduring businesses I have seen while growing up, were the ones where people can trust the dealer, and leave a lot of money in their business till when they need it. And the businesses use the money wisely, returning value to the investors and customers whenever they need the goods, or their money back. I want to leave a business name that my children will grow up and inherit, I want my children to stand up and say with pride, "I am the child of Spyder880".

May God grant us health and happiness while we work to achieve all these, may we get more clients and customers that will understand us, and work with us like we are their blood relatives. Amen.

I want to leave a business name that my children will grow up and inherit, I want my children to stand up and say with pride, "I am the child of Money121". C.E.O ImranRoofing

Oga @Spyder880 I swear you motivate me.. Nothing beat Honest, integrity, Trust matter alot but lot of young what to make money and leave that behind reason why they keep complaining no job in the country since there are not ready to start from somewhere..

Let just thank God Ko easy but we keep thanking him

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ARFON: 3:56pm On Aug 09, 2021
spyder880:
TRUST!

If only we know how strong these five letters are in this world. Those five letter are the foundation on which most successful businesses are formed, and retained. Everyone needs trust, trust builds goodwill, which is one of the essential ingredients for success in every business transaction. The contractors and workmen needs trust, the clients needs trust, the suppliers needs trust also.

Trust is such a tricky trait that many people fake it, suppliers of materials can be supplying you with genuine products until one day, Blam! Out of the blues, they hit you with a severe fake product, or run away with your money entirely. Happens with contractors and clients too.

Many of us are products of the trust people reposed in us, I have been working for many years as a contractor, there have been good clients we worked for. In fact, excellent will be a better description. I was lured out of my full time well paying work at a popular multinational company by a client from this forum. The client convinced me to come and build his house in 2013, he paid me even before I started the work, and when I failed with the quotation going against me, he saw it as my inexperience in working in riverine areas, and promptly asked me to redraw a budget, then he paid me again to complete the work.

This same client was there to help me with every bit of information and advice, even technical skills as he was also in the engineering industry. My second and third major projects here were in that same estate, connected by the same client. I remember the day he convinced his colleague to transfer a huge amount of money to me for another new project, the client was afraid, but he told the client that if I defaulted, he will pay back the money. Such trust was rare, and I know it was God's love working. I just resigned from my then employment and went full time, building houses. I am eternally grateful to this young man, and have called him in the past to always express my appreciation for his helping me to start strong.

I have also trusted in my subordinates, the young professionals I brought into the industry, the young graduates I hired to work with me, the skilled workers who did every bit of work. Some turned out good while some, well, did what they wanted. Some old workers of mine walked away with my money in a site this year, but it's his own loss, not mine. I have brought and guided the ones that I can trust here online and many of them are actively building houses and practicing here and elsewhere, some very successful already.

I won't deceive myself to think it's just luck, or hardwork. I think its because of the help of the almighty God, the author and finisher of our faith. He is all able, almighty and the all and all.

Clients could be very difficult, but like I was taught in a Super-management training course in my former company, the customer is always right. We should only be careful not to lose money while observing their rights, we should try to please them in every way, and when we fall short of pleasing our clients, we should be open and ready to amend the situation. We are all humans and although its difficult, we can at least get a pass mark for our services.

We should also be honest, and upfront with the services we intend to render, if I am painting a house for a client for instance, I will ask for details of who goes home with the empty drums after painting, or what happens with the used planks and wood after the project is finished. These details will help in sorting out issues in the future. And when all else fails, if taking some small loss in the project won't kill us, let's take it and walk away far, to avoid problems. Such small losses will pay our tuition fees for the next few jobs, teaching us in vivid terms, how to avoid more losses.

I have taken a fair amount of losses in this field, sometimes big, sometimes small, but I always try to stay within the budget. My family will never forget April - July 2011, when I used my 4 months salary from my day job to be doing a clients work because I under quoted, and I wanted to complete the work. We went hungry and didn't have food in the house. I have also been saved from taking serious beatings when costs go against me. God bless all my clients, they have sometimes come to my rescue, paying up hundreds of thousands when it's clear I misquoted, or the market turned against our agreed budgets. God will bless you all.

I also remember paying back hundreds of thousands of naira, even millions in some cases, when I am overpaid by mistake. The client I completed his 6 flats this year in Enugu East, overpaid me by over N740,000 for some groups of jobs in the finish of the house, I called him and asked how much he paid, my Oga was sounding annoyed and insisting that he has completed the payments, I called him again to please check the amount he paid, because he paid for everything in the list, even when two of the items on the list are options to the others, when he realised he has overpaid me, he was very happy that I pointed it out, because a lot of people will just pretend they didn't see it, and go ahead and spend the money on themselves. This happened again this year, on the tall bungalow I am building now, this one is an overpayment of N366,900. I pointed it out and the client just added it in the next payment and deducted his money, with thanks. Honesty is a very good policy. The best policy in fact.

I urge all the young people in our midst, and indeed all of us, to approach business with honesty, both contractors, suppliers and clients, the most enduring businesses I have seen while growing up, were the ones where people can trust the dealer, and leave a lot of money in their business till when they need it. And the businesses use the money wisely, returning value to the investors and customers whenever they need the goods, or their money back. I want to leave a business name that my children will grow up and inherit, I want my children to stand up and say with pride, "I am the child of Spyder880".

May God grant us health and happiness while we work to achieve all these, may we get more clients and customers that will understand us, and work with us like we are their blood relatives. Amen.
only few can exhibit this trait..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 4:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
God save Nigeria from Nigerians cry cry

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yellowgarri2(m): 4:13pm On Aug 09, 2021
money121:

I want to leave a business name that my children will grow up and inherit, I want my children to stand up and say with pride, "I am the child of Money121". C.E.O ImranRoofing

Oga @Spyder880 I swear you motivate me.. Nothing beat Honest, integrity, Trust matter alot but lot of young what to make money and leave that behind reason why they keep complaining no job in the country since there are not ready to start from somewhere..

Let just thank God Ko easy but we keep thanking him
word!!!!!! Very deep

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yellowgarri2(m): 4:14pm On Aug 09, 2021
spyder880:
TRUST!

very deep!!!!! Oh deep gan

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:20pm On Aug 09, 2021
money121:
God save Nigeria from Nigerians cry cry
damn second time am seen something like this.. what will they do with it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:37pm On Aug 09, 2021
n3xt:

Sure I will. I share my experience here for others to learn.

DUMBO 3 | Economies of Scale

Economies of scale are cost reduction that occur when production increase.
Please note I’m not a block or cement seller. I do what I do just for NextHome projects only.

Eg: Producing sandcrete blocks at N200 against N300 that it’s currently sold in the open market because of the quantity involved.

While my proposal was being considered, my client said “Haba na, aren’t you going to give discounts on this job considering the scale of the project and the number of units involved?”

The request seems genuine and plausible so I decided to give a considerable discount on the project. I think it was around a couple of millions of naira shocked

So when the decision to buy materials while we tidy up preliminaries was reached, we discovered the cost of reinforcement has increased by almost N40k more than the budget.

Interestingly, my client said we have no choice than to buy at the current market price which I feel it’s the only option we have except we want to put the project on a temporary hold.
To my rudest shock, I discovered that every time my client want to pay me for my services and every other things I’m providing on the project, he will remember there’s need to apply discount but the discount does not apply to anything he’s directly paying for grin

Invariably, I was subsidizing the increase in cost of building materials. I won’t say I was being used grin

In all honesty, I just laugh it off and decided to play along as if I don’t know the game that was being played. I do not at any point have any issues with the sudden change and the mischievous acts.

So long I'm not paying the over 40 tradespeople working with me in the project every day with my own money even though I’m indirectly paying for the cost of all the tools used on the project because there was no special charge for it in my bill of quantity, I feel we (the team and I) can still manage to push this through without getting hurt.

This we achieve without a single compromise in a record time. I think we were even almost 2 weeks ahead of our schedule of work.

We decided to look past the issues and do what we got to do.

________

In all of these, I didn’t bother to complain because I knew I can tidy thing up within 45 - 50 days and request we go back to the drawing board to make things right.

________

If I can supply over 20 tons reinforcement, a trailer load of cement and ALL tools of trade (because I never had to borrow a single tool on any of my project) to a project without any commitment and the client is still having trust issues. I think he has a more fundamental problem! grin grin

Na ordinary N5k matter led us to this topic o.

That was well over N25m to N30m risk being borne by me and I do not worry about the client not been able to pay or abruptly terminate the contract on a flimsy excuse.

_____

Next DUMBO 4

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 4:42pm On Aug 09, 2021
spyder880:
TRUST!

I want to leave a business name that my children will grow up and inherit, I want my children to stand up and say with pride, "I am the child of Major supplier of Value paints #ranerenterprises. So help me God

This writer up really touched me a lot and I have also learnt from it.

Thank you very much sir

Loyalty honest is the best to offer as an supplier and in entrepreneurship.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:51pm On Aug 09, 2021
n3xt:

DUMBO 3 | Economies of Scale
________

In all of these, I didn’t bother to complain because I knew I can tidy thing up within 45 - 50 days and request we go back to the drawing board to make things right.

________

If I can supply over 20 tons reinforcement, a trailer load of cement and ALL tools of trade (because I never had to borrow a single tool on any of my project) to a project without any commitment and the client is still having trust issues. I think he has a more fundamental problem! grin grin

Na ordinary N5k matter led us to this topic o.

That was well over N25m to N30m risk being borne by me and I do not worry about the client not been able to pay or abruptly terminate the contract on a flimsy excuse.

All the commitment I made was done within a week. We are not even talking about weeks, months or years.

Talking about using money to do projects for client is not the problem, it’s all about finding and working for men of integrity who honours every single gentleman agreement.

_______

DUMBO 4 >>>

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:02pm On Aug 09, 2021
n3xt:

All the commitment I made was done within a week. We are not even talking about weeks, months or years.

Talking about using money to do projects for client is not the problem, it’s all about finding and working for men of integrity who honours every single gentleman agreement.

_______

DUMBO 4 >>>

That's the koko of the matter right there grin

As a semi retiree that's simply doing legitimate business to keep fit, I can be choosy. Choosy not because of aloofness but of a well honed business principles developed from working for companies like Bank Of America, Paramount Pictures, Baylor University, etc

Anyone that does projects for clients with his money just willy nilly, without due diligence, even in the USA, has himself to blame.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 5:07pm On Aug 09, 2021
spyder880:
TRUST!

To all my clients, especially the NairaLanders (yah all know who yah all are cool ), thanks for the trust. I do not take it for granted.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 5:11pm On Aug 09, 2021
GoodFaith:
The issue with clients and contractors have to do with Nigerians attitude
We Nigerians don't like to do things the correct way
Money na God

"I urge all the young people in our midst, and indeed all of us, to approach business with honesty, both contractors, suppliers and clients, the most enduring businesses"
by spyder880

Life with honesty not short cut

My Brother, you are one of a kind! You are so encouraging!! if you only knew the kind of stories clients deal, with,(i speak from that angle because I am one) I had a friend killed in Nigeria because he came home and there was no house built by the said contractor who later conspired with the brother to kill this man. I personally have been taken advantage of because I am not on ground by some on this forum and some not. Nigerians just do not understand that word "TRUST" it has plagued us everywhere we have been in this world. Till date, I am still looking for just ONE person I can "TRUST" in Nigeria, including family members, to complete my project and there is NON! Many promise to be honest until they see money, or its in their hands and the story changes. Off course everyone has their own side of the story.
GOD BLESS YOU

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by folmus: 5:30pm On Aug 09, 2021
Where are thou @Uncleeth?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 5:39pm On Aug 09, 2021
DUMBO 4 | Let My Will Be Done

A silent follower chatted me up after my last post and asked “Do you mean you still have another story to share despite the fact that you’ve seen the client is not trustworthy?”

I smiled.

When I’m on a project, I get busy with work. That’s why you’d hardly see a client talking about me asking for variation on any of my projects unless there’s economic sabotage or a change order request. I do all I can to stay within budget.

10 days into the project, I was already getting used to my clients approach and I decided to assume his position to understand why he’s doing what he’s doing.
Of course, this really worked because I’ve put all those Dumbos behind me and get myself busy UNTIL....

My client came up again and asked series of questions that got me confused once again and I’m like “Am I working for a stark illiterate or A narcissist?”

Everyone who knew me as far back as a decade ago knew the first thing you’d get from me on any contract is the project schedule which details what happen, when and the deliverables.

So when my client asked me “What’s happening? Why are people not working on Sunday? Why did they close at 10pm? How many people will be working overnight? Why are we not working on multiple units at the same time?

I knew I was in for something far bigger than I can ever imagine. I decided to learn.

I responded and told the client “We are weeks ahead of schedule on this project. Is there anything we were supposed to be doing that hasn’t been done?” Also this is a construction project and not a jigsaw puzzle, we need to respect standards by allowing concrete to cure before imposing loads on it.

Is there anything you really have problem with sir? Or are there specific areas you want us to give priority and all thy will shall be done!

My client said “You're supposed to be casting a slab and not DPC of a new house?”

To cast a slab on another slab which was done in just 19 days

Who does that? For love or for trust? An over pleaser? Or just being a Dumbo?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:47pm On Aug 09, 2021
Jeff68:

My Brother, you are one of a kind! You are so encouraging!! if you only knew the kind of stories clients deal, with,(i speak from that angle because I am one) I had a friend killed in Nigeria because he came home and there was no house built by the said contractor who later conspired with the brother to kill this man. I personally have been taken advantage of because I am not on ground by some on this forum and some not. Nigerians just do not understand that word "TRUST" it has plagued us everywhere we have been in this world. Till date, I am still looking for just ONE person I can "TRUST" in Nigeria, including family members, to complete my project and there is NON! Many promise to be honest until they see money, or its in their hands and the story changes. Off course everyone has their own side of the story.
GOD BLESS YOU

My bro bless you for your hard
Keep up hope
save your money and go do what you can on your visit
You need to balance what you want in your life
Because if all your kids are out of Nigeria
Invest in your present location --If you can't buy house in your present location , do stock market
If you have good friends five of you can do it together but you must have contract or all your names must be on the " deed"
It is one step at a time

Your family might likely take your properties later

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 6:07pm On Aug 09, 2021
GoodFaith:

My bro bless you for your hard
Keep up hope
save your money and go do what you can on your visit
You need to balance what you want in your life
Because if all your kids are out of Nigeria
Invest in your present location --If you can't buy house in your present location , do stock market
If you have good friends five of you can do it together but you must have contract or all your names must be on the " deed"
It is one step at a time

Yes, yes, family is VERY WELL TAKEN CARE OF, Nigeria is just my personal passion, family does even want to come to Naija.

Your family might likely take your properties later
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:02pm On Aug 09, 2021
—-
In other news
We are introducing ACCENT wall into our new branch office.

Last pics is sample.

Finishing still in progress

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:06pm On Aug 09, 2021
rotecch77:
—-
In other news
We are introducing ACCENT wall into our new branch office.

Last pics is sample.

Finishing still in progress

Nice one. Do you have a space on Addo Road? I think I saw something like Arbo on that road.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 7:33pm On Aug 09, 2021
n3xt:

Nice one. Do you have a space on Addo Road? I think I saw something like Arbo on that road.

Thanks chief.
We have an office there before at “pump and sale” bus stop.
But we are no more there now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:43pm On Aug 09, 2021
rotecch77:

Thanks chief.
We have an office there before at “pump and sale” bus stop.
But we are no more there now.

Yeah! Around Pump & Sell.

Well Done.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 8:55pm On Aug 09, 2021
n3xt:

Prior to preparing my baba lati bill, I asked for the construction route (owner-managed or contractor managed) so that I can know what I’m covering and preparing bill for.

The client asked for contractor-managed approach and I prepared my bill accordingly putting some unbelievable cost-shaving measures in place.

After my baba lati quote was approved, and notice to proceed (NTP) was issued, I went ahead to prepare the project schedule in accordance with the scope of work and best construction practices.

DUMBO 2

I sent in my final bills and my client said he’s not making any provision for Preliminaries shocked on the project.

I repeat “No Provision for Preliminaries” grin grin

So what do Preliminaries really cover in projects? In layman understanding, Preliminaries covers things which includes but not limited to hose, water tank, storage, provision of electricity, site signboard, site security etc.

Why did the client say he’s not taking care of the Preliminaries?
Because of the build approach (I being the General Contractor), the scale of the project and some level of pre-construction activities that has been carried out on the project site.
The client felt if I am truly who I say I am on NL grin with all the number site support equipment I claim to have and use on my projects, then I should be able to handle this without stress.

He said I was considered for the job because of the way u do my sturvs blah, blah.

I was wowed (yinmu) and told my guys “Leggo do some magic. Move Everrrrrythinnng including staple pins. grin

That was how we walked into a “No Commitment, No Contract” project.

I love doing some things to gather experience to teach younger ones. This was just one of it!

After we moved Olympus to the project site, my chairmo said ”I’ve not seen anything na! Is this all you brag about online?” Until a serious commitment has been made, we won’t start.

I smiled and asked for a contract to be signed officially. My Oga stylishly deflect this with a “Let’s tidy up all the bills and make adjustment to the new reviews made.”

Unfortunately I wasn’t on the project with my laptop to immediately edit the bill and do a review. So I have to wait to settle down and do the review.

During this period, I felt it makes no sense to just sit without doing anything. I decided to commence some skeletal pre-construction activities.

My Oga came again “Can we go ahead with the project while you move your command center to the site because we have no time to waste.”

Remember there was no contract because we are awaiting a review of the final bill and I’m already on the project site with some tools and guys to commence preliminary works based on project schedule.

So I felt, moving ahead with the project as suggested by the client is a good way to prevent waste of precious time grin grin

@Egunmogaji2 how much time do a contractor need to draw conclusion a client has some skeleton in his sleeves.

At point of negotiation? At the beginning of the project? The way issues are managed? Or after things has gone south?

I suspected foul-play at the point when mine said he’s not taking care of preliminaries because I’m a BiG contractor who needs to prove to the world I am who I really claimed I am.

______

My client came up with “You can order all you need for the project while you tidy up your preliminaries.”

I mean order materials. With what?

“Do I order several tons of reinforcement without a commitment? Or what exactly does this imply?”

“Ha ha, that’s not it na! I just don’t want us to waste time. So it’s fair to order some materials that’ll be needed ahead of your readiness for the project.” My Oga replied.

He added “You know I don’t know you and you don’t know me either. What if paid you and you chose to run away my money tomorrow morning. grin grin Just make your orders, funds will be released to you as “materials are delivered.” This looks like a good help to save time while we await the final review of my bill for the project which is also delaying the official signing of the contract grin

If you’re reading “See the implication of entering into a “No Commitment” contract. You never know who you’re dealing with.

While my client was asking me to make my orders, he already have one of his men who has been well instructed to understudy me (I pretended I didn’t know) to get all the numbers of my suppliers and key contacts cool
As a matter of fact, I offered him a bed for some weeks in my family house to allow him see me finish grin grin

So I made my orders and delivered without a single commitment to the project. I’m talking about order running into several millions.

First, I moved my command base without a single commitment.

Second, I made order for materials for a project without a contract using my leverage.

This was the reason I was smiling when one of my chairman claimed maybe a client didn’t see value in my proposition. He didn’t see value and he’s going behind my back to collect contact details of my supplier and planting a snitch called project supervisor on me grin
Leveraging on my goodwill!

A lot do people do approach me for consultation and I’d do that without asking for anything in return. Even major suppliers here do ask me to give them link to my suppliers and I do without any strings attached.

So, fund for the goods ordered was released. Can we shout Halleluyah yet

Next is My DUMBO 3

BRB

I must be that chairman grin grin grin

Now you dint explain all this before . The good thing is you have learnt and moved on

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:15pm On Aug 09, 2021
Trust.

Respect anyone who gives you reasons both in word and action to trust them.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 9:24pm On Aug 09, 2021
Jeff68:

GOD BLESS YOU

I don't understand the kind of trust you're looking for if you've not seen just one person to have a trust on to complete your project or have anything to do with........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 10:01pm On Aug 09, 2021
n3xt:

[/b]Talking about using money to do projects for client is not the problem, it’s all about finding and working for men of integrity who honours every single gentleman agreement. [b]

_______

DUMBO 4 >>>

Wrote something awhile ago about trust , integrity and capacity of the individual or entity you are dealing with , that’s the summary of the whole matter

We can’t talk enough about Trust / integrity , in the business field I play in , I get about the best prices for inputs , on top of that I get credit while a lot of others don’t get , reason is simple , over decades suppliers have come to realize we don’t default on payment terms , we don’t owe , it’s a reputation thing . Word goes round in that niche market of suppliers . My philosophy is simple ,profit starts from buying right , especially in a competitive industry like manufacturing. A lot of times suppliers beg us to take stocks of Raw materials we don’t even need , they will say something like pay at any convenient time oga .

So confident and sure am I that I say to suppliers/ contractors / anybody that deals with me there is a 99% chance you will default in this our relationship compared to me when it comes to payment or money matters or delivering your own end of the Bargain

Am sure most of the suppliers that Supply us have zero apprehension . My own koko is getting the very best of prices , Part of the kpis of my concerned staffs is that no supplier must call me for money or outstandings. What we can’t afford , we don’t do . I sleep very well at night grin , I give glory to God alone

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 10:09pm On Aug 09, 2021
Well said.

spyder880:
TRUST!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Jeff68: 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
[quote author=bixton post=104616123]

I don't understand the kind of trust you're looking for if you've not seen just one person to have a trust on to complete your project or have anything to do with........

Brother, I come in peace, there are several people here who can testify they have worked or supplied materials to me, not everyone make noise, I read, I learn, I apply what I have learned. Even spyder880 has advised on my build. Funny thing is, as we speak I engaged someone (not on Nairaland) to do wardrobes and kitchen cabinets for me, I paid for HDF board, just to check I sent some, he used MDF board, he has since disappeared! I already paid #2M! Even the person that recommended him him is dumbfounded! Now, what do I do, I had to get a new person to change and salvage whatever I can.

Now, all this happened because I am not on ground! and I TRUSTED people to do certain things and have integrity!

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by QSFemi(m): 10:35pm On Aug 09, 2021
I want to reiterate again that construction business is fraught with risks on all concerned parties - Clients, Consultants, Contractors and even suppliers. As players in the industry, it's behest of us to keep ourselves knowledgeable about best practices to protect ourselves, interest, money and businesses from suffering severest risks that could jeopardize our abilities.

Like it's popularly said in common parlance, trust is earned. Even at that, trust is never enough to run a business successfully, abilities count too. Trust can earn you the job, but abilities will keep you on the job and longer in the business.

I'm a professional Quantity Surveyor that has considerable experience in the industry and has also enjoyed considerable patronage from reputable members of this forum. My duty mostly is serving as Clients' Quantity Surveyor or Contractors' Quantity Surveyor. So, I understand the views from these two seemingly alternate worlds. Contractors are in the business of maximizing profit from secured jobs while delivering within agreed terms and conditions of the contract while Clients are out there to ensure that evey kobo spent is justified while bringing the projects to reality.

There are standard practices that protect the contractors from negligence of the clients and there are also time tested practices that protects the clients from the liability of the contractors. Truth is most of these practices are brushed aside especially during the commencement phase of a project until issues arise during the course of the contract.

For instance, a contractor that wittingly underquoted for a job except for an unforeseeable increase in market price of materials, in order to win a job among competitors, should be liable if such job is not fully executed according to terms of the contract.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by money121(m): 11:12pm On Aug 09, 2021
Jeff68:

GOD BLESS YOU
If the project reach roofing level you can trust Imranroofing with your Roofing project
We work Nationwide so far client ready to pay for transport cost
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Bakin3(m): 12:58am On Aug 10, 2021
Call for your bio digester(septic tank) construction.
The advantages of Bio Digester toilet are as follows:
No Dislodging of Human Waste
Cooking Gas can be generated from it
It's eco-friendly
No foul smell
Needs only a small space
Suitable for any soil condition
No contamination of groundwater etc

(1) (2) (3) ... (2367) (2368) (2369) (2370) (2371) (2372) (2373) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: SanniOluwafemi(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 245
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.