Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2667) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4445475 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2664) (2665) (2666) (2667) (2668) (2669) (2670) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 12:05pm On Dec 26, 2021
Happy Christmas this the ebo they gave me when I get to my home town the Christmas

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 12:06pm On Dec 26, 2021
Should I eat ?or I should abandoned it
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Newcreation22: 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2021
BrickDevo:
hmm you want to rent marine board? Because apart from marine board others when in contact with water will likely loose shape and probably damage during removal, Never hear say dem dey rent board for decking

Thanks so much. In fact, I just realized this. We have decided to buy, since it will be reused for the parapet

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 12:24pm On Dec 26, 2021
Nothing to see here but a regularly planned holiday works

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:46pm On Dec 26, 2021
Amokomowo:
Hello professionals....

I want something like this but the bricklayer insisted na block dem go use for the pillar....I have told him to stopped and look for a professional.... Please is he supposed to use a block as pillar to get same results ?

It is structurally acceptable and possible to use blocks to achieve same results.

However, I noticed you didn't do 'German floor'. The lack of Germany floor MAY have further implications structurally. How?

I further noticed you are placing beams indescriminately on block walls. I can't see internal columns where needed ( see yellow spots of your pic). This is bad practice more pronounced without a German floor to spread the load.

Best practice: beams are better placed on columns structurally calculated instead of on blocks as you've done. There is a high risk of cracks on that section of the wall spotted yellow if you place further undue load on the beams eg roof and parapet or three courses of blocks after lintel.

Just be observant as you continue with your project.

Note: I'm not a structural engineer - not even close.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 3:02pm On Dec 26, 2021
Merry Xmas and Happy 2022 in advance to our beloved customers.

We appreciate your patronages all through the year 2021.

We pray to Almighty God that our customer- relationship continue to blossom and successful.

Once again, we appreciate the Lord for seeing us through the end of this year amidst every forces of impossibilities.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 3:02pm On Dec 26, 2021
Appreciation!
Appreciation!!
Appreciation!!!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:41pm On Dec 26, 2021
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:54pm On Dec 26, 2021
diordaves:

It is structurally acceptable and possible to use blocks to achieve same results.

However, I noticed you didn't do 'German floor'. The lack of Germany floor MAY have further implications structurally. How?

I further noticed you are placing beams indescriminately on block walls. I can't see internal columns where needed ( see yellow spots of your pic). This is bad practice more pronounced without a German floor to spread the load.

Best practice: beams are better placed on columns structurally calculated instead of on blocks as you've done. There is a high risk of cracks on that section of the wall spotted yellow if you place further undue load on the beams eg roof and parapet or three courses of blocks after lintel.

On point, i feel the absence of German floor will cause no much problem, this is a bungalow so there's no much load to spread, except for the check against damping, as there is no barrier between the walls and the earth. He might notice capillary rise of water on the walls during raining season.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Perfecttouchade: 8:56pm On Dec 26, 2021

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 8:59pm On Dec 26, 2021
hslbroker2:
Happy Christmas this the ebo they gave me when I get to my home town the Christmas
Baba send my own nah
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MRFIXER001: 10:19pm On Dec 26, 2021
You are right and have a point.

The first thing we need to know is that not everyone can afford DPC (german floor), since it's a bungalow, the only effect of not doing DPC is capillary rise of water.

Another thing is that I noticed there's is roof beam all round the building (just an observation wink ) these alone will prevent cracks due to roof load.

Finally, it's just a bungalow. It requires little or no structural work. If the foundation is well done (if not cracks due to settlement might occur) and other members are well detailed.

Concrete have both the compressive and tensile strength while block alone have compressive strength, placing a beam on it doesn't necessarily mean there will be a defect. Block alone have compressive strength of about 125kg/cm2.

I stand to be corrected oooo grin grin

diordaves:

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 10:27pm On Dec 26, 2021
MRFIXER001:

The first thing we need to know is that not everyone can afford DPC (german floor), since it's a bungalow, the only effect of not doing DPC is capillary rise of water.

Another thing is that I noticed there's is roof beam all round the building (just an observation wink ) these alone will prevent cracks due to roof load.

Finally, it's just a bungalow. It requires little or no structural work. If the foundation is well done (if not cracks due to settlement might occur) and other members are well detailed.

Concrete have both the compressive and tensile strength while block alone have compressive strength, placing a beam on it doesn't necessarily mean there will be a defect. Block alone have compressive strength of about 125kg/cm2.

i don't see any roof beam there, these are lintel beams running through, 3 or 2 coaches of blocks, will still be added there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MRFIXER001: 10:35pm On Dec 26, 2021
Okay
BrickDevo:
i don't see any roof beam there, these are lintel beams running through, 3 or 2 coaches of blocks, will still be added there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArchyDesmond(m): 12:03am On Dec 27, 2021
maysoft:
I need a good quantity surveyor to help me with a bill of quality to complete this bungalow.

i believe you mean to say " employ the service of a QS" instead of "help me" unless you dont plan to pay for the service which i believ will not be good enough

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArchyDesmond(m): 12:35am On Dec 27, 2021
n3xt:

Cement was never sold 3,000 at anytime this year but I kept my figures at 3,000 during the lifetime of the project.

Neither did any blockmaker sold blocks at 200 at any time in the year 2021 but I kept my part of the bargain so that question of underquoting to pick a contract doesn’t arise.

So the issue of inflation didn’t start in October.

3350 seems more like a WIN/WIN.

Thanks.

i dont know if this issue has been sorted or not. What i will tell you is that, as a Building contractor, You need to employ the service of a personal Quantity Surveyor. You will only be doing yourself a disservice if you think you don want to engage one because of the financial part.
This is more than what you can handle. Be more professional.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:35am On Dec 27, 2021
MRFIXER001:

If you can build a house, you can afford a DPC. You are just not spending your money in the right places or you are not building right.

The FIRST function of a DPC is to spread load before preventing rising damp. Buildings have DEAD load and all building will settle at some point be it bungalow or 21 floors. A building without German floor has greater propensity to settle differentially leading to problems.

We have discussed cracks in bungalow in the past at this page: https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything/1568

Take a look at the attached pic and notice the cracks caused by the failure of the lintel and the arch beam pressure on the poor quality blocks.

Blocks in Nigeria are of generally poor quality. If you place beams on block walls as with bungalow without internal columns it means the walls are not only block partitions but also significant load bearing wall. If the block quality is poor, during settlement and without the aid of Germany floor, you run the risk of cracks.

If you must beam, think columns as well. Just beaming block walls without columns originating from the foundation is poor practice bungalow or no bungalow.

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rmx: 12:47am On Dec 27, 2021
n3xt:
>>> Natural Wood Floor Ordered and Now Been Installed

Installation pics later.

Looks good , can’t wait to see the finished article . Might be interested in doing something similar for a lounge pool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 12:57am On Dec 27, 2021
diordaves:

If you can build a house, you can afford a DPC. You are just not spending your money in the right places or you are not building right.

The FIRST function of a DPC is to spread load before preventing rising damp. Buildings have DEAD load and all building will settle at some point be it bungalow or 21 floors. A building without German floor has greater propensity to settle differentially leading to problems.

We have discussed cracks in bungalow in the past at this page: https://www.nairaland.com/2550211/general-topic-thread-to-discuss-anything/1568

Take a look at the attached pic and notice the cracks caused by the failure of the lintel and the arch beam pressure on the poor quality blocks.

Blocks in Nigeria are of generally poor quality. If you place beams on block walls as with bungalow without internal columns it means the walls are not only block partitions but also significant load bearing wall. If the block quality is poor, during settlement and without the aid of Germany floor, you run the risk of cracks.

If you must beam, think columns as well. Just beaming block walls without columns originating from the foundation is poor practice bungalow or no bungalow.

Thank you for sharing this. I'm surprised most of the comments that I have read as regards this case are not talking about the best construction global practices.

When it comes to structural stability of a building, we should try and leave gambling out of it.

We all know a building should be designed for stability first before thinking about the cost and aesthetic purposes.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Kambols95(m): 12:58am On Dec 27, 2021
We do design and build @ Mak Designs & Consult.

Engage us today for professional services as regards your:

1. Survey Plan
2. Architectural Plan( which can go for approval to any state in Nigeria)
3. Structural Design
4. Services Design
5. C of O processing. Etc

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BrickDevo: 2:45am On Dec 27, 2021
diordaves:

The FIRST function of a DPC is to spread load before preventing rising damp.
This is not true, i think you need to understand first the meaning of damp proof course, in a building what is actually transferring the load from the building to the earth is the building foundation, more especially is the column footing or base. I see you are referring to the concrete slab as DPC. The concrete slab not the dpc will of course spread the load evenly over the foundation pillars. The load in question poses less treat over the years and the practice have been working and will continue to work, for the picture you referred it is obvious that the beam of 9inches thickness is resting on a block wall, and thus heavy for the block, where he should have used a beam of 6 inches thickness, which will be lighter on the wall in the absence of pillars.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:14am On Dec 27, 2021
rmx:

Looks good , can’t wait to see the finished article . Might be interested in doing something similar for a lounge pool

We’d tidy it up in coming days. Work started last Saturday.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gEV3EhcWcN4?feature=share
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 4:53am On Dec 27, 2021
ArchyDesmond:

i dont know if this issue has been sorted or not. What i will tell you is that, as a Building contractor, You need to employ the service of a personal Quantity Surveyor. You will only be doing yourself a disservice if you think you don want to engage one because of the financial part.
This is more than what you can handle. Be more professional.

Smiles

Interestingly, we are here because of QS submission/recommendation. I’m not making additional claims on my part other than what was in my contract.

If a professional QS can’t spot errors in his submission/calculations, then I shouldn’t be the one to point it out again.
We’ve had to do the same thing over and over for months and it seems I’m deliberately stalling the process when I’m actually stating the obvious.

Conflicts and delays are just the end result of everything that has gone wrong prior to.
Often times, most clients want to track expenses forgetting that it is insufficient, inadequate or ineffective progress tracking and re-planning as the project proceeds through execution that causes devastating impact on a project’s momentum.

Showing up unexpectedly at the twist of event, recommending termination of an ongoing contract for ?? and recommending the client spend more to complete a fixed sum contract with over-optimism that the contractor can be cornered, intimidated or bullied into making a refund for all additional expenses are some of the biggest pitfall of the project.

I didn’t expect anything less because this is coming from someone who hasn’t visited the project until he was invited and was only acting on what he was told.

I played a similar role on another project that we just completed few weeks back and none of the subcontractors involved were sacked because I knew a project’s overrun is a result of inaccurate analysis and planning and it cost more to fix when wrong approach and strategy are applied.

The project owner suffers the most when wrong decisions are made.

Go back to the thread https://www.nairaland.com/6450270/construction-journal-xl6-trillion-atrium and read from page one to the last page and ask yourself a simple question, “What could make this beautiful project hit the brick?”

We worked non-stop

I wasn’t surprised to see a new contractor charging 50k to power his equipment for just 5 days. We powered the project for 60 days at no additional cost to our client.

I wasn’t surprised to see ambiguity when new contractors are asked to justify claims for repairs and ridiculous costing. “..the trusses were not properly done. Ask anyone...”

_______

Note: I used the same QS for one of my project this year even though his bill was thrown away by my client.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Dennis3D(m): 5:43am On Dec 27, 2021
Hello friends,
I want to use this opportunity in a special way say thank you to the Oga of this thread for his initiative.

Its good to appreciate good people. They are hard to find. And to everyone in the group making this place a good place for both clients, artisans and contractors.

I wish you all a prosperous 2022.

Thank you Oga Hajj Mufutau55 for all you do... And to other elders here, thank You too.. You are not left out.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:46am On Dec 27, 2021
>> Closing Out The Year With A New Build | SCH Haus by NextHome

Wishing our clients, customers, suppliers, and friends a lovely holiday season from all here at NextHome Design+Build.

Looking forward to a mutually beneficial relationship with you in the new year.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:14am On Dec 27, 2021
n3xt:

Smiles

Interestingly, we are here because of QS submission/recommendation. I’m not making additional claims on my part other than what was in my contract.

If a professional QS can’t spot errors in his submission/calculations, then I shouldn’t be the one to point it out again.
We’ve had to do the same thing over and over for months and it seems I’m deliberately stalling the process when I’m actually stating the obvious.

Conflicts and delays are just the end result of everything that has gone wrong prior to.
Often times, most clients want to track expenses forgetting that it is insufficient, inadequate or ineffective progress tracking and re-planning as the project proceeds through execution that causes devastating impact on a project’s momentum.

Showing up unexpectedly at the twist of event, recommending termination of an ongoing contract for ?? and recommending the client spend more to complete a fixed sum contract with over-optimism that the contractor can be cornered, intimidated or bullied into making a refund for all additional expenses are some of the biggest pitfall of the project.

I didn’t expect anything less because this is coming from someone who hasn’t visited the project until he was invited and was only acting on what he was told.

I played a similar role on another project that we just completed few weeks back and none of the subcontractors involved were sacked because I knew a project’s overrun is a result of inaccurate analysis and planning and it cost more to fix when wrong approach and strategy are applied.

Go back to the thread https://www.nairaland.com/6450270/construction-journal-xl6-trillion-atrium and read from page one to the last page and ask yourself a simple question, “What could make this beautiful project hit the brick?”

We worked non-stop

_______

Note: I used the same QS for one of my project this year even though his bill was thrown away by my client.

What a shameless human you are.

I believe alot of people (true professionals) on this thread have used @Qsfemi, so they have alot to say about him.

I guess it was the QS that made you abandon the project for almost 5 months too or told you not to come around for proper handover when you were asked to even on this thread.

You can run here to play Saint but go dumb with me offline.

Keep running your mouth here, the end shall justify the means.

Keywords : Fraud, dishonesty, irresponsible, incompetency

13 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by IDnoble80: 7:18am On Dec 27, 2021
n3xt:

Smiles

We worked non-stop

_______

When are you going to take responsibility of your misdeed?

So it’s the qs that’s wrong now? Pathetic. Very pathetic.

A lot of people won’t say anything… but they know who you are already…

Keep appraising yourself

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ArchyDesmond(m): 7:23am On Dec 27, 2021
n3xt:

Smiles

We worked non-stop

_______

Seen.

I believe you gave them a Program before the commencement of the contract. Did you work according to program or you defaulted in time ( as per items in your contract bill).

Any additional work or variation cost should be presented to the client along with its time implication for approval. Hence, the moment the client has given you approval on the additional work, you are expected to present a revised program incoporating the approved additional works

This will keep both parties in check as an increased scope of work will not be expected to be completed with the same contract duration.

Determination of the contract shouldn't have been the immediate recommendation of the Q.S. This may not favour the client on the long run. Double expenses on most preliminaries.

Based on what I read, The Clients Qs only visited the site when the project was having this issue, He should have been more frequent with the project from start. Coming in at a critical stage of the project to recommend determination seems too harsh.

Overall, I don't believe in settling issues online. This will definitely affect your brand. Most new client might want to Google your company name before awarding you a contract and seeing all these controversies popping up might not be a good one. For peace to reign, you'll need to make certain sacrifices.

I wish all parties the very best.

6 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:28am On Dec 27, 2021
ArchyDesmond:

Seen.

I believe you gave them a Program before the commencement of the contract. Did you work according to program or you defaulted in time ( as per items in your contract bill).

Any additional work or variation cost should be presented to the client along with its time implication for approval. Hence, the moment the client has given you approval on the additional work, you are expected to present a revised program incoporating the approved additional works

This will keep both parties in check as an increased scope of work will not be expected to be completed with the same contract duration.

Determination of the contract shouldn't have been the immediate recommendation of the Q.S. This may not favour the client on the long run. Double expenses on most preliminaries.

Based on what I read, The Clients Qs only visited the site when the project was having this issue, He should have been more frequent with the project from start. Coming in at a critical stage of the project to recommend determination seems too harsh.

Overall, I don't believe in settling issues online. This will definitely affect your brand. Most new client might want to Google your company name before awarding you a contract and seeing all these controversies popping up might not be a good one. For peace to reign, you'll need to make certain sacrifices.

I wish all parties the very best.

And you believe the nonsense he wrote because he typed sermon?

Since you are interested in the issue, maybe you should take time to read through some of the posts made on this thread concerning the issue, that should give you a better understanding of the case.

Now that it's the QS he has shifted his inability to honor the contract he drafted nor refund for 3 months counting, I will wait to see what else he comes up with when that is debunked.

This dishonest jobber had the audacity to claim that the roofing aspect of the contract wasn't his responsibility even though he was the one that recommended the change from wood to steel, sent in the new bill and was paid the difference directly without having any contact with whoever he planned to use just because the quote was in another person's name.

How dishonest can one be again?

Time baits him.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 7:47am On Dec 27, 2021
Good morning
Are you in need of 1by12 for your decking,linted etc all at affordable prices with 2by3 both sawmill woods and alamole...

Sawmill wood 1by12 =1450 and 2by3 = 450 directly to your sites anywhere in S.W
Alamole 1by12 = 1400 and it's 2by3 = 400

No transportation fees
No hidden cost.
Contact us today.
Happy New year in advance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:47am On Dec 27, 2021
somehow:

And you believe the nonsense he wrote because he typed sermon?

Since you are interested in the issue, maybe you should take time to read through some of the posts made on this thread concerning the issue, that should give you a better understanding of the case.

Now that it's the QS he has shifted his inability to honor the contract he drafted nor refund for 3 months counting, I will wait to see what else he comes up with when that is debunked.

This dishonest jobber had the audacity to claim that the roofing aspect of the contract wasn't his responsibility even though he was the one that recommended the change from wood to steel, sent in the new bill and was paid the difference directly without having any contact with whoever he planned to use just because the quote was in another person's name.

How dishonest can one be again?

Time baits him.

Every contract made with NextHome were officially signed and sealed.

I believe you still have all these documents sir:

- Borehole
- Construction of a 4 Bedroom Duplex
- Construction of a 400sqm Fence
- Construction of a 300sqm Fence

The contract for the installation of a steel truss was bidded for by a different contractor in his own letterhead and the downward review was carried out by the QS and not NextHome.

To make things clear, we removed the cost of roofing woodwork and workmanship completely from NextHome contract.

If this is different, you can refute the claim.

Please kindly explain the dishonesty part.

Do you have officially signed documents from NextHome for every works listed above or not?
Did you receive a quote for the steel trusses from a separate company or not? Is QS part of NextHome’s company to help us make a downward review of our estimates? Did this ever happened on any of the contracts we handled?

______

So if there’s issue with the subcontractors work and we offered to help fix it at no cost to you when you raised it but you refused and you hurriedly went to fix it by yourself. I don’t know what else to do.

Sufficient evidence to back this up is available on request.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2664) (2665) (2666) (2667) (2668) (2669) (2670) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: stnkembu(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.