Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,444 members, 7,816,022 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2991) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4386240 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2988) (2989) (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 6:14pm On May 14, 2022
diordaves:

We had a discussion here about network security where some think that Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA 2) is enough as a basic protection for homes. It is true that WPA2 ensures that data sent or received over your wireless network is encrypted, and only people with your network password have access to it. Unfortunately, WPA2-enabled access points (usually routers) are vulnerable to attacks through WEP.

To eliminate this attack vector, it is good advice to disable WEP and, if possible, make sure your router’s firmware doesn’t rely on WEP. Get a VPN and anti Malware or ransomware programme.

Sir Dave !
WEP is now considered out of date and infact obsolete as a Wi-Fi encryption standard ... I am not exactly sure what you were trying to say with the bolded..do you mind explain sir ?....there are absolutely no connections with wep and wap...they use different protocol to function....router/access points either uses wep or wap/wap3/wap3 there are no connections from wep to wap etc...

Why use old wep router with only 64/128 bit encryption where there are 256bit encryption availability in virtually any routers you buy from shops...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 6:22pm On May 14, 2022
"If a bad guy can alter the operating system (firmware) on your computer, it's not your computer anymore." - Microsoft's Second Immutable Law of security slightly modified

Your wireless network may be secure but a securely connected vulnerable device can make nonsense of that security.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 6:54pm On May 14, 2022
dongc:

Sir Dave !
WEP is now considered out of date and infact obsolete as a Wi-Fi encryption standard ... I am not exactly sure what you were trying to say with the bolded..do you mind explain sir ?....there are absolutely no connections with wep and wap...they use different protocol to function....router/access points either uses wep or wap/wap3/wap3 there are no connections from wep to wap etc...

Why use old wep router with only 64/128 bit encryption where there are 256bit encryption availability in virtually any routers you buy from shops...

I don't think he mentioned wap.

sonnie10:

Norton is a good one

One of the oldest out there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 6:59pm On May 14, 2022
somehow:

I don't think he mentioned wap.

Wpa2 ?

One of the oldest out there.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:06pm On May 14, 2022
[quote author=dongc post=112833400][/quote]

I guess you meant wpa because wap is totally different.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by EgunMogaji2: 7:09pm On May 14, 2022
FEGEITOK:
"If a bad guy can alter the operating system (firmware) on your computer, it's not your computer anymore." - Microsoft's Second Immutable Law of security slightly modified

Your wireless network may be secure but a securely connected vulnerable device can make nonsense of that security.

My wireless network is as secure as possible. All my iOTs have the latest firmware. All of them. Any that doesn’t need outside stays in the intranet.

Just posting for myself.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 7:39pm On May 14, 2022
somehow:

I guess you meant wpa because wap is totally different.

Now I am confused...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GloriousGbola: 7:47pm On May 14, 2022
FEGEITOK:

In all of this though , we must remember security through obscurity.

Why blow my resources hacking someones home network? What's the payback?

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:53am On May 15, 2022
somehow:

This also leaves you at the mercy of the VPN provider.

So, when going the VPN route, choose wisely.

At the mercy of the VPN provider..... How? I no understand.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:21am On May 15, 2022
sonnie10:
VPN is manly for online privacy and security. Mostly when people browse around the Web, they leave a digital footprint of your activity through your IP (Internet Protocol) address. Web browsers store your browsing history, and tracking cookies & pixels are used to record various aspects of your browsing and other behavior for their later use . Bad actors can trick you into accepting cookies and installing malwares on your system.
Th two critical reasons is to use a VPN are to increase your privacy by hiding your IP address, they can also secure your online activity by encrypting the data related with it. When you connect to a VPN, your browsing activity appears to come from the IP address of the VPN server rather than your own. Additionally, your browsing activity is encrypted, so the data sent and received in your online activity is encoded and can’t be deciphered without the key.

A VPN is a powerful tool in your online privacy and security.

Absolutely.

There's very little understanding out there of VPN when it comes to online security, privacy and individual rights.

Buhari blocked Tweeter in Nigeria. With a VPN, you can access your account despite the ban. Individual rights.

A lot of our students in China ( I mean UK- I'm in academia), without VPN can't access some of our materials.

With VPN, I can watch American Netflix, can access iPlayer when I'm away from the UK. I can watch IPTV etc. With VPN, one is anonymous online and you can be certain of your privacy and your right to access the internet without your government's intervention and control.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 7:37am On May 15, 2022
GloriousGbola:

In all of this though , we must remember security through obscurity.

Why blow my resources hacking someones home network? What's the payback?
I would really have loved to take the time to explain why "security by obscurity alone" is terrible idea, although "Security by obscurity and other security layers" can be a wonderful idea but I have certain targets that mean I have to prioritize what I spend my time on so I will give a very short example without going into much detail.

There is equipment and technology for probing networks and IP address both known and unknown to unmask things like what ports are open and closed, which OS is behind the IP, what vulnerabilities exist, there is a whole business model built around finding and trading vulnerabilities with payouts in the hundreds of thousands of dollars in some cases and millions of dollars in other cases. Know this and know peace. You think you are hidden, no you are not. Some of the more common ones include nmap and shodan, but there is more including those forming part of secret war chests and not publicly available.

For routers Remote Code Execution vulnerabilities, you can get paid up to $10,000.00.

For antivirus Remote Code Execution vulnerabilities, macOS/Linux Local Privilege Escalation vulnerabilities you can get paid up to $50,000.00.

For Safari, Edge, Firefox Remote Code Execution/Local Privilege Escalation vulnerabilities you can get paid up to $100,000.00, same goes for WiFi Remote Code Execution vulnerability on either iOS or Android

For VMware Virtual Machine Escape vulnerabilities, you can get paid up to $200,000.00.

For Microsoft Outlook Remote Code Execution, you can get paid up to $250,000.

For Chrome Remote Code Execution /Local Privilege Escalation vulnerabilities, you can get paid up to $500,000.00.

For Windows Remote Code Execution vulnerabilities, you can get paid up to $1,000,000.00.

For iOS full-chain kernel code execution vulnerabilities, you can get paid up to $2,000,000.00.

For Android full-chain kernel code execution vulnerabilities, you can get paid up to $2,500,000.00.

For methods of breaking in that will consistently/reliably work and have not been detected by the vendor payouts in the region of $3,000,000.00 are not uncommon.

There another thriving business model built around taking over systems and exfiltrating information from those systems taken over.

Your home system is not as monitored as a business or government system, it is very good target practice to make sure vulnerability exploits work and work very well before approaching those who can pay these sums because they need it for national security reasons.

Please read the attached for greater elaboration.

I don't really have the time or ability to argue on this. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinions and I respect the divergence of opinions, but on this issue, I speak as someone versed in these matters and who works in the trade.

Parting thoughts:

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.

If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.

If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 7:53am On May 15, 2022
dongc:

Sir Dave
Wep is now considered out of date and infact obsolete as a Wi-Fi encryption standard ... I am not exactly sure what you were trying to say with the bolded..do you mind explain sir ?....there are absolutely no connections with wep and wap...they use different protocol to function....router/access points either uses wep or wap/wap3/wap3 there are no connections from wep to wap etc...

We are saying the same thing. It's just that, I'm listening to you, but you are not listening to me. You are hearing me, but you are not listening.

WPA is out of date. True. But it is still an optional feature in routers. It has its uses in certain situations.

However, this forum is Naija based. So I can tell you from my experience, WPA is predominant in Nigeria. I've seen it being used in offices and in homes in Nigeria with my korokoro eye.

This is not safe enough. That's what I'm saying. Shey you see the example wey coffee machine bring ransom ware into a business. This can happen with a lot of modern day gadgets at home - fridges, washing machine, cookers, vacuum cleaner, home server, etc.

So going forward, in addition, it is smart money to get a VPN and anti Malware program. Some VPN come with Malware program.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:55am On May 15, 2022
MMotimo:

Sorry for your loss. May the memories provide you with a measure of comfort.

Thanks a lot.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:55am On May 15, 2022
olukaygold:

RIP to Mama. cry

Thanks Boss.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 7:56am On May 15, 2022
Perfecttouchade:
so sorry about Mama's Death, it's so terrible losing one's mum but may God rest her soul. Amen

Amin. Thanks brotherly

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 8:00am On May 15, 2022
FEGEITOK:

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Sorry for your loss

Thanks Baba
Am trying to get it off my mind.
But My heart has not accepted her Death.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by dongc(m): 11:01am On May 15, 2022
diordaves:

We are saying the same thing. It's just that, I'm listening to you, but you are not listening to me. You are hearing me, but you are not listening.

WPA is out of date. True. But it is still an optional feature in routers. It has its uses in certain situations.

However, this forum is Naija based. So I can tell you from my experience, WPA is predominant in Nigeria. I've seen it being used in offices and in homes in Nigeria with my korokoro eye.

This is not safe enough. That's what I'm saying. Shey you see the example wey coffee machine bring ransom ware into a business. This can happen with a lot of modern day gadgets at home - fridges, washing machine, cookers, vacuum cleaner, home server, etc.

So going forward, in addition, it is smart money to get a VPN and anti Malware program. Some VPN come with Malware program.

Haha ...ok continue cheers
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 11:22am On May 15, 2022
hamtabfawaz:

Thanks Baba
Am trying to get it off my mind.
But My heart has not accepted her Death.

Sorry bro.

Mum's should live forever, if wishes were horses.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 1:52pm On May 15, 2022
We are available for your roofing woods,woodwork and woods for linted decking casting etc all at shikini prices.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 1:53pm On May 15, 2022
We are ready for your project..
Tested and trusted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 2:34pm On May 15, 2022
When security and beauty are desired,call me and I'll deliver

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ifejilika(m): 4:15pm On May 15, 2022
[you are saying the truth, my new building that was roofed less than three months, everywhere is leakage, I can count 5 times climbing the roof and we are still finding new leakage everyday, I thought my roof man is quack till I am seeing this your post, now the leakage is delaying screeding and pop workquote author=diordaves post=112815175]

I was among the earliest developers who used metcopo when it first came out. My eye see pepper with leakage. Metcopo inherently is a design flaw highly prone to leakage more than other designs. [/quote]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:27pm On May 15, 2022
ifejilika:
[you are saying the truth, my new building that was roofed less than three months, everywhere is leakage, I can count 5 times climbing the roof and we are still finding new leakage everyday, I thought my roof man is quack till I am seeing this your post, now the leakage is delaying screeding and pop workquote author=diordaves post=112815175]

I was among the earliest developers who used metcopo when it first came out. My eye see pepper with leakage. Metcopo inherently is a design flaw highly prone to leakage more than other designs.

What is the problem? Is it the roofing sheet materials or the roofer I mean the installer
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 5:55pm On May 15, 2022
ifejilika:
[you are saying the truth, my new building that was roofed less than three months, everywhere is leakage, I can count 5 times climbing the roof and we are still finding new leakage everyday, I thought my roof man is quack till I am seeing this your post, now the leakage is delaying screeding and pop workquote.

It is not your installer. Metcopo as a design concept is flawed. The pressing at the factory is the issue. In my situation, about nine of us used metcopo then in the estate from different installers. Six of us suffered the same faith. My installer was highly experience, so I was sure it was not installer issue.

Metcopo no be am.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ejor046(m): 7:10pm On May 15, 2022
abouzaid:
can one build a four bedroom all en suite bungalow with two and half million or less? I'm doing a cost analysis and it's looking possible from my analysis. what's your views on that? i would give my analysis later after hearing some of your views. my labourers would be sourced exclusively from the north where labour is extremely cheap and the house would not include any fancy works. details later b rut lets hear your views first.
with high cost of building materials, I don't see the possibility of erecting such within your cost, except you will be using so other materials such as mud in place of blocks,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:36pm On May 15, 2022
diordaves:

At the mercy of the VPN provider..... How? I no understand.

Someone built the VPN. A private citizen /company.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 7:42pm On May 15, 2022
topsy23:

Good evening, please my electrician says we should get change over and gear switch for the final stage , but i said I only know of change over, that i don't think the gear switch is necessary, but he is insisting that it's important.

Please i need a second opinion and any supporting reason to get or not get it.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by supajizy(m): 8:08pm On May 15, 2022
Good evening everyone. Please I need 2Bags of Dangote BlocMaster or 3X 42.5R cement at OTA or Isolo. Please it's urgent. Help ��
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:21pm On May 15, 2022
Building TV console with Iron profiles nd plasterboard..

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:23pm On May 15, 2022
KolaShangOne:
Building TV console with Iron profiles nd plasterboard..

- Way stronger than POP cement made type.
-Won't crack.
-Also won't start looking rough after a while.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2988) (2989) (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: diordaves(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.