Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,697 members, 7,816,855 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:52 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2992) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388455 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2989) (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 8:52pm On May 15, 2022
PrinceLat:

Good evening, please my electrician says we should get change over and gear switch for the final stage , but i said I only know of change over, that i don't think the gear switch is necessary, but he is insisting that it's important.

Please i need a second opinion and any supporting reason to get or not get it.

Thanks.

Follow his advice he is right....

In an electric power system, switchgear is composed of electrical disconnect switches, fuses or circuit breakers used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment. Switchgear is used both to de-energize equipment to allow work to be done and to clear faults downstream (copied)

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 9:07pm On May 15, 2022
Still in shock Spanish product
blessed sunny global Spanish dealer

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 9:26pm On May 15, 2022
PrinceLat:

Good evening, please my electrician says we should get change over and gear switch for the final stage , but i said I only know of change over, that i don't think the gear switch is necessary, but he is insisting that it's important.

Please i need a second opinion and any supporting reason to get or not get it.

Thanks.

Your electrician is right but the choice is yours to choose between gear switch/isolator or Cutout fuses ... If your building is 3 bedroom flat you can go with cutout fuse.

Gear switch is good and concealed all exposed cable you will see using a cutout fuse.

Changeover switch is for switching between your generator and the grid. Changeover can't serve the purpose of gear switch .

So you need both changeover switch and gear switch / cutout
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:01am On May 16, 2022
somehow:

Someone built the VPN. A private citizen /company.
Did you know that most prisons in the same country are privately owned companies?

Nigeria will get there someday, when privately owned companies would be trusted with that level of security.
It is about checks and balance of a robust system.
Those companies are just part of a well regulated system .

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Johntemmy(m): 8:22am On May 16, 2022
We are your best plug for your roofing woods,woodwork and woods for linted decking casting etc

Call or Whatsapp now 07060795767
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gigaset: 9:08am On May 16, 2022
Good morning house, I've been wondering how possible it is to achieve this kind of roof woodwork in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 9:43am On May 16, 2022
twinskenny:

Follow his advice he is right....

In an electric power system, switchgear is composed of electrical disconnect switches, fuses or circuit breakers used to control, protect and isolate electrical equipment. Switchgear is used both to de-energize equipment to allow work to be done and to clear faults downstream (copied)

Thanks a lot for this.

topsy23:

Your electrician is right but the choice is yours to choose between gear switch/isolator or Cutout fuses ... If your building is 3 bedroom flat you can go with cutout fuse.

Gear switch is good and concealed all exposed cable you will see using a cutout fuse.

Changeover switch is for switching between your generator and the grid. Changeover can't serve the purpose of gear switch .

So you need both changeover switch and gear switch / cutout

Thanks a bunch, its a 3 bedroom, aside the changeover and the gear switch , there is also provision for (fuse and base) which I believe is what you refer to as cut out. is it ?

I really appreciate the responses from you both, thanks again.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 10:07am On May 16, 2022
PrinceLat:

Thanks a lot for this.

Thanks a bunch, its a 3 bedroom, aside the changeover and the gear switch , there is also provision for (fuse and base) which I believe is what you refer to as cut out. is it ?

I really appreciate the responses from you both, thanks again.

If you have fuse and base you are covered. There is no need of having gear switch anymore . And again it 3-bedroom flat

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by okikigsm: 10:09am On May 16, 2022
pls where can I get this window roller shutter?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:06am On May 16, 2022
okikigsm:
pls where can I get this window roller shutter?
Contact
@emmadejust

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by robertbrownn: 12:59pm On May 16, 2022
Every business depends on social media. You can use Instagram to show your work in front of many users. But you need lots of followers for this. Buy Instagram followers is the best option if you don't want to start with zero followers. So, visit [url]Famups.com[/url]
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by PrinceLat(m): 1:20pm On May 16, 2022
topsy23:

If you have fuse and base you are covered. There is no need of having gear switch anymore . And again it 3-bedroom flat

Thanks again, just to be really clear, I have purchased the gear switch on his insistent, can I forgo the fuse and base then ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 1:24pm On May 16, 2022
Gigaset:
Good morning house, I've been wondering how possible it is to achieve this kind of roof woodwork in Nigeria

You may have to import your own wood, unless you want to manage local wood with attendant consequences.

About to import 4x4, 2x4 and 2x6 foreign wood for a project of mine.

Why import? uneven lengths/widths and general unevenness(straightness), the beauty of your project will never come out.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 3:17pm On May 16, 2022
KolaShangOne:

Sorry bro.

Mum's should live forever, if wishes were horses.

Thanks my oga.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by iammarvellux(m): 3:50pm On May 16, 2022
PROMO PROMO PROMO

PRECIOUS PEACE HOUSING ESTATE, OGIJO ROAD, IKORODU.

*Key points on Precious Peace Housing Estate Phase 3 Ogijo Road, Ikorodu.*

- Located along Ogijo Road, Ikorodu

-300sqm and 500sqm plots available

-300sqm - 500k and 500sqm - 700k

-Promo: *BUY 1 GET 1 FREE*

-Flexible 6months payment spread.

For site inspection and more enquiries pls call/WhatsApp 2348038781738.

PROMO ENDS 31st May 2022

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bolu1986(m): 5:46pm On May 16, 2022
We are available
Pop & wall screeding and more...

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 7:05pm On May 16, 2022
Talking of borehole. I'm having issue of smell and gold coated flim resting on top of the water , gradually its subsiding as it's already 5months since the borehole was drilled. Is there any hope of getting uncontaminated water at the long run? Will it ever be good for use when cooking and washing white cloths ? Any solution to this will be highly appreciated as this is a torn in my flesh and needz solution . I need help on this . Please

Note; borehole is far away from soakaway and location is Sangetedo Ajah .
diordaves:

Your borehole water become muddy or unclean after it rains from either of two sources or both. One source is rainwater run-off contamination or soakaway cross contamination or both. In any which way , your borehole casing MAY have failed. Or drilled without borehole casing in the first place.

Borehole casing is the pipe inserted into the freshly drilled borehole to protect and support the borehole stream. The casing provides stabilisation and keeps the sides of the borehole from caving in on themselves. The casing also protect the borehole from outside contamination.

Best practice, a casing should be about 40 feet long but this can be a challenge for some drilling contractors so they use shorter pipes which means there will be many joints where the casing can fail. Each casing should be joined together by PVC (solvent) cement. If not done to best practice, the casing will fail at this point of joint. This May be the problem you're experiencing. That is if the borehole was drilled with casing.

It is a serious and costly problem. topsy23 advised to build a concrete protection around the borehole. This may prevent rainwater run-off contamination but what if your soakaway is also a culprit? How far away is your soakaway? The bazooka solution is to drill a new borehole which may not be an easy monetary decision.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by okikigsm: 8:04pm On May 16, 2022
mufutau55:
Contact @emmadejust
thanks boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 8:54pm On May 16, 2022
Bro, just a little correction ... It's "Still in stock" not "still in shock"
God bless your hussle.

Blessedsunny2:
Still in shock Spanish product
blessed sunny global Spanish dealer

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Blessedsunny2(m): 9:31pm On May 16, 2022
Beframia:
Bro, just a little correction ... It's "Still in stock" not "still in shock"
God bless your hussle.

Thanks for your blessings may God reward us with what we do.
Am still your blessed sunny the Spanish dealer cheesy

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Gigaset: 10:27pm On May 16, 2022
You are lucky and I guess you are importing from USA or Canada, but what about the carpentry work ?
FEGEITOK:

You may have to import your own wood, unless you want to manage local wood with attendant consequences.

Why import? uneven lengths/widths and general unevenness(straightness), the beauty of your project will never come out.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 11:00pm On May 16, 2022
Enyinne:
Talking of borehole. I'm having issue of smell and gold coated flim resting on top of the water , gradually its subsiding as it's already 5months since the borehole was drilled. Is there any hope of getting uncontaminated water at the long run? Will it ever be good for use when cooking and washing white cloths ? Any solution to this will be highly appreciated as this is a torn in my flesh and needz solution . I need help on this . Please

This is a clear case of iron bacteria or iron-oxidizing bacteria contamination. Iron is one of the most abundant minerals in the earth crust. As a result iron are usually widespread in groundwater. Iron bacteria are microorganisms that occur naturally in soil, surface water and shallow groundwater.

Your groundwater MAY have been contaminated either your borehole is not deep enough, your groundwater was contaminated during drilling by rusty drilling equipment, or through submersible pump installation. Iron bacteria can also enter your groundwater if the borehole was poorly constructed to allow stagnant surface water to enter the borehole. These are the sources of iron bacteria. If you can pinpoint the source as it relates to you, then you can prevent it.

However, you can block the bacteria from entering your home water network by fixing a water filter at the water tower (see picture). Buy the best quality filter. You can also adopt "shock chlorination". This involves adding an intense chlorine concentration to your water tank to disinfect it. Please follow the manufacturer instruction(s) in this respect or get someone knowledgeable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FEGEITOK: 11:07pm On May 16, 2022
Gigaset:
You are lucky and I guess you are importing from USA or Canada, but what about the carpentry work ?

USA? yes.

About the carpentry, if I were to use a carpenter not exposed to other ways of doing things, I'd not get the results I want. I will not use nails, I will use screws, and I want them driven in by a nail gun, and a few other quirks I saw in the YouTube videos I watched and copied my designs from.

I am teaming up with a carpenter that has worked in the carpentry department of one of the big construction firms in Nigeria and to make my designs come alive.

By the way we have this sort of school here in case anyone needs to attend such a school or needs their graduates to work for him or her

https://www.julius-berger.com/press/50th-anniversary-commemoration-julius-berger-builds-artisanal-skill-academy-in-abuja-partners-foci-and-giz

and as to why we don't have the same quality of work as overseas, my research led to this investigation by The Guardian:

https://guardian.ng/stories/the-wood-merchants/
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbengalite(m): 11:25pm On May 16, 2022
Enyinne:

Most borehole from this axis are not usually clean due to the area
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kthug: 11:28pm On May 16, 2022
diordaves:

I was among the earliest developers who used metcopo when it first came out. My eye see pepper with leakage. Metcopo inherently is a design flaw highly prone to leakage more than other designs.
still persist? Cos i have a project i want to roof up b4 the weekend
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tonididdy(m): 11:40pm On May 16, 2022
FEGEITOK:

... Pfff undecided
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kiekie1(m): 12:15am On May 17, 2022
HURRY!! LIMITED STOCK!!!

Brand new 1000 watts 12v Pure sine wave power Inverter (no charging feature).

Ideal for users on a budget and for keeps as rainy-day backup.Ideal for campers. Ideal for 12v off-grid systems "optional external battery charger can be attached to supplement solar array against periodic rainy weather". Ideal for automobile uses ensuring pure sine wave safe output.

Actual/Continuous power is 1000w. Peak power is 2000w. Soft start feature enhances smooth powering of refrigerator, sensitive appliances.
Idle watt consumption 7 watts.

Protection features:
-Low voltage shutdown
-Over voltage shutdown
-Short circuit shutdown
-Over temperature shutdown
-Overload protection
-Polarity reverse fuse protection
-Earth leakage protection

Firm Price: 40,000

Contact,
Smartcell global services
CALL ONLY:: 081-350-31951
WHATSAPP::: http://.us/w/?c=a46ea5

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Aduragbemi45(m): 3:16am On May 17, 2022
Pls contact ADYEM INTERIOR CONCEPTS for interior and exterior white pop and cement artworks designs..

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 6:05am On May 17, 2022
kthug:
still persist? Cos i have a project i want to roof up b4 the weekend

Not anymore for now. I had to double wrap (lay) most of the roof at considerable extra cost. If you must use metcopo, double wrap it. Your roofer should know.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 7:19am On May 17, 2022
We have this particular issue too and did everything suggested here, but the water is still smelly and colored.

Funny enough, there's a well on the property with the same issue but now that it's raining, it has become better except that it's heavy (Sign of iron in the water). But the borehole water is getting worse.

Turns black if left in a bucket for a few days. We are trying to see if there are alternative water treatments out there.

diordaves:

This is a clear case of iron bacteria or iron-oxidizing bacteria contamination. Iron is one of the most abundant minerals in the earth crust. As a result iron are usually widespread in groundwater. Iron bacteria are microorganisms that occur naturally in soil, surface water and shallow groundwater.

Your groundwater MAY have been contaminated either your borehole is not deep enough, your groundwater was contaminated during drilling by rusty drilling equipment, or through submersible pump installation. Iron bacteria can also enter your groundwater if the borehole was poorly constructed to allow stagnant surface water to enter the borehole. These are the sources of iron bacteria. If you can pinpoint the source as it relates to you, then you can prevent it.

However, you can block the bacteria from entering your home water network by fixing a water filter at the water tower (see picture). Buy the best quality filter. You can also adopt "shock chlorination". This involves adding an intense chlorine concentration to your water tank to disinfect it. Please follow the manufacturer instruction(s) in this respect or get someone knowledgeable.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 8:46am On May 17, 2022
somehow:
We have this particular issue too and did everything suggested here, but the water is still smelly and colored.

Funny enough, there's a well on the property with the same issue but now that it's raining, it has become better except that it's heavy (Sign of iron in the water). But the borehole water is getting worse.

Turns black if left in a bucket for a few days. We are trying to see if there are alternative water treatments out there.

I think it's @gbengalite who said this is common in this geological area. Yourself and @Enyinne are having the same issues. It's now clear what the problem is: you guys boreholes are not deep enough for your topography.

Your borehole drillers stopped immediately they struck water. But what kind of water? The bazooka solution is to drill another borehole until you strike FRESH WATER. Iron bacteria are found in shallow groundwater.

An effective remedial solution is to shock chlorinate the borehole instead of the water tank like l earlier posted.

There are YouTube clips on how shock chlorinate. Search and watch and adapt the method to Nigeria setting. Although it is simply pouring a measured amount of chlorine into your well or borehole.

Rural families here in the UK, USA and Australia who depend on well/borehole water shock chlorinate DIY with great success. So it's not a big deal. It's doable.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 9:59am On May 17, 2022
Thanks for responding. I can see u hv vast knowledge on this issue . U mentioned shock chlorination, will the chlorine be deposited each time water is pump into the tank since the tank is an overhead type . Will this be a continuous process till thy kingdom come grin . Can u pls elaborate more on the way this work and expectation on eliminating this issue . Its a rental apartment and as such will affect the tenants in a negative way .
diordaves:

(1) (2) (3) ... (2989) (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.