Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,822 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:53 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (2993) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4388303 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) (2996) ... (3667) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Enyinne(f): 10:15am On May 17, 2022
Mine hv reduced considerably going by the way it was smelling when we moved in and also the colour is much better now and also bring up some small amount of rusty flim on top . I will like to eliminate it totally but i don't know my fate ,if i will ever have clean water directly from the borehole.
somehow:
We have this particular issue too and did everything suggested here, but the water is still smelly and colored.

Funny enough, there's a well on the property with the same issue but now that it's raining, it has become better except that it's heavy (Sign of iron in the water). But the borehole water is getting worse.

Turns black if left in a bucket for a few days. We are trying to see if there are alternative water treatments out there.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KIDfurniture(m): 10:41am On May 17, 2022
Just do extensive water treatment. Use chlorine , lime & allum in bulk. Let it there for 3 days and flush out. It worked for my 3 neighbors
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:03am On May 17, 2022
somehow:
We have this particular issue too and did everything suggested here, but the water is still smelly and colored.

Funny enough, there's a well on the property with the same issue but now that it's raining, it has become better except that it's heavy (Sign of iron in the water). But the borehole water is getting worse.

Turns black if left in a bucket for a few days. We are trying to see if there are alternative water treatments out there.

The best thing is to sep up a full water treatment plant with UV light

2 set of stailess or fiber tank
Tank A will contain, carbon, chlorine etc
Tank B will contain, coarse aggregate diff sizes
Then UV light to kill any micro organisms
In addition if the water is salty you will need reverse osmosis system.

I have some of these for client here and off here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:05am On May 17, 2022
somehow:

I have done some of these for client here and off here.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 11:08am On May 17, 2022
rotecch77:

I have done some of these for client here and off here.

My suggestion too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:08am On May 17, 2022
Enyinne:
Mine hv reduced considerably going by the way it was smelling when we moved in and also the colour is much better now and also bring up some small amount of rusty flim on top . I will like to eliminate it totally but i don't know my fate ,if i will ever have clean water directly from the borehole.

It's the iron in your environment. Heard there are chemicals that can eliminate the issue but won't be fit for consumption (drinking).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:11am On May 17, 2022
diordaves:

I think it's @gbengalite who said this is common in this geological area. Yourself and @Enyinne are having the same issues. It's now clear what the problem is: you guys boreholes are not deep enough for your topography.

Your borehole drillers stopped immediately they struck water. But what kind of water? The bazooka solution is to drill another borehole until you strike FRESH WATER. Iron bacteria are found in shallow groundwater.

An effective remedial solution is to shock chlorinate the borehole instead of the water tank like l earlier posted.

There are YouTube clips on how shock chlorinate. Search and watch and adapt the method to Nigeria setting. Although it is simply pouring a measured amount of chlorine into your well or borehole.

Rural families here in the UK, USA and Australia who depend on well/borehole water shock chlorinate DIY with great success. So it's not a big deal. It's doable.

Mine is on a mainland property.

There are 2 buildings at the back with the same issues but theirs got treated with treatment plant.

Ours too followed the same path but just didn't work.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:12am On May 17, 2022
rotecch77:

I have some of these for client here and off here.

This is what we have done so far, yet hasn't changed a thing. (worse)

The water was better when we pumped directly from the well.

The tank on the floor is where the water from the borehole goes to, then goes into the treatment tubes/cylinders before pumping to the main tanks ontop.

From the pictures, is it the UV light that is missing or what else?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 11:50am On May 17, 2022
somehow:

This is what we have done so far, yet hasn't changed a thing. (worse)

The water was better when we pumped directly from the well.

The tank on the floor is where the water from the borehole goes to, then goes into the treatment tubes/cylinders before pumping to the main tanks ontop.

From the pictures, is it the UV light that is missing or what else?
That is water treatment plan (pic) but the UV is missing actually the UV doesn’t mean the water will not clean of dirty and iron, but the UV is to kill any micro and macro organisms that is present in the water.
If you still experienced unclean water here it means the set up ( chemicals and coarse aggregate ) is not well placed.
More so the nature of your water will determine the type of chemical to introduce the into the treatment plant tank… that is after lab test.
Finally you need periodical change of the chemical once you notice that the water is not clean again.
This might comes up in every 3-6months depends on the nature of your water
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 11:54am On May 17, 2022
rotecch77:

That is water treatment plan (pic) but the UV is missing actually the UV doesn’t mean the water will not clean of dirty and iron, but the UV is to kill any micro and macro organisms that is present in the water.
If you still experienced unclean water here it means the set up ( chemicals and coarse aggregate ) is not well placed.
More so the nature of your water will determine the type of chemical to introduce the into the treatment plant tank… that is after lab test.
Finally you need periodical change of the chemical once you notice that the water is not clean again.
This might comes up in every 3-6months depends on the nature of your water

Thanks engineer. We're actually in the process of changing the chemical components after another lab test.

People with good land and clean water don't know what they're enjoying.

The property on the island is actually safe from issues like this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Valuepaints20(m): 12:37pm On May 17, 2022
Always available to bring quality to your doorstep

Call/WhatsApp 08163862804...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 12:54pm On May 17, 2022
somehow:

Thanks engineer. We're actually in the process of changing the chemical components after another lab test.

People with good land and clean water don't know what they're enjoying.

The property on the island is actually safe from issues like this.
Most of these problems start form first day in the journey of borehole drilling, from my experience get a knowledgeable geophysicist survey test reports, at least 2 opinions to compare their report, it's very important. From my experience in Ajah the entire area had issues with iron in the water and you can see from every house around the neighborhood has red-ish color on there water tanks. When I invited my driller after the report, the first report suggested to drill between 55 - 60 meters to get good water, anything above the depth is salty water and we must go to another 140 meters to get clean water again. The another test suggested something similar as well, approximately in the same location without any of them meeting each other. When the driller came he was extra careful not to go beyond those recommendations and the drilled approximately 60 1/2 meters and that's how we ended up getting the best water in the entire neighborhood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Badgers14: 1:03pm On May 17, 2022
kopell:
Most of these problems start form first day in the journey of borehole drilling, from my experience get a knowledgeable geophysicist survey test reports, at least 2 opinions to compare their report, it's very important. From my experience in Ajah the entire area had issues with iron in the water and you can see from every house around the neighborhood has red-ish color on there water tanks. When I invited my driller after the report, the first report suggested to drill between 55 - 60 meters to get good water, anything above the depth is salty water and we must go to another 140 meters to get clean water again. The another test suggested something similar as well, approximately in the same location without any of them meeting each other. When the driller came he was extra careful not to go beyond those recommendations and the drilled approximately 60 1/2 meters and that's how we ended up getting the best water in the entire neighborhood.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

I was about to ask Rotecch77 and co , if in retrospect, if there's any thing someone could have done maybe before the drilling to take care of this before hand. And for everyone else to take note to avoid having the same issues in their build.

Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Raftec: 1:50pm On May 17, 2022
You can call us for ELV project, CCTV CAMERAS, ELECTRIC fence, DATA/ voice ,Video door bell, Sound system, Fire alarm system, Access control system etc... Call us today for your own small and big project +2347036887546

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Raftec: 1:53pm On May 17, 2022
Call us today for your own PERGOLA WOOD COVER with any design

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Raftec: 1:59pm On May 17, 2022
Call us today for your own imported carport. This carport is for special client that love special things ......... just call or WhatsApp

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Raftec: 2:03pm On May 17, 2022
Call us today for your stamp floor with different designs, tested and trusted company...

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:18pm On May 17, 2022
somehow:

Mine is on a mainland property.

There are 2 buildings at the back with the same issues but theirs got treated with treatment plant.

Ours too followed the same path but just didn't work.

I will suggest you adopt the chlorine method. It is highly effective against iron bacteria. Chlorine is a safe treatment for drinking water. The mix ratio is about 2 Litres of chlorine to 450 Litres of water. Safe to drink.

You can experiment though. Fetch a bucket of water from either your well or the borehole and add a tablet of chlorine (if you are using tablet) or add about one table spoon of chlorine (or according to the manufacturer) then observe. It's like magic. No odor, no film.

If you are not comfortable with chlorine mix ratio, get a swimming pool expert to do the mix for you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 2:26pm On May 17, 2022
Enyinne:
Thanks for responding. I can see u hv vast knowledge on this issue . U mentioned shock chlorination, will the chlorine be deposited each time water is pump into the tank since the tank is an overhead type . Will this be a continuous process till thy kingdom come grin . Can u pls elaborate more on the way this work and expectation on eliminating this issue . Its a rental apartment and as such will affect the tenants in a negative way .

This is a very valid question. I'm not sure with this our Nigeria, but there are chlorine tablets that release slowly that you can put in the tank. A typical tablet will last about four months.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 3:39pm On May 17, 2022
See another picture of water treatment plant

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 3:55pm On May 17, 2022
topsy23:
Yes that is another set up, the white tank there is chemical tank usually do come with mixer pump starer ( Manual optional) at the top there is chemical dosing pump used to inject already mixed chemical into the water for proper and Accurate result
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 4:02pm On May 17, 2022
diordaves:

This is a very valid question. I'm not sure with this our Nigeria, but there are chlorine tablets that release slowly that you can put in the tank. A typical tablet will last about four months.

We have original Chlorine tables and powder here .. usa make which is active BUT the China version as taken over the mkt … this China is not active at all
You can’t stay for long where the original one is open from its container BUT China you can even enter the drum Without any fear

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 4:10pm On May 17, 2022
rotecch77:

Yes that is another set up, the white tank there is chemical tank usually do come with mixer pump starer ( Manual optional) at the top there is chemical dosing pump used to inject already mixed chemical into the water for proper and Accurate result

Yes that exact description
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 4:47pm On May 17, 2022
rotecch77:

We have original Chlorine tables and powder here .. usa make which is active BUT the China version as taken over the mkt … this China is not active at all
You can’t stay for long where the original one is open from its container BUT China you can even enter the drum Without any fear

Good information. Thanks.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:00pm On May 17, 2022
topsy23:
What is the average cost of water treatment setup like this one in the picture now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ifejilika(m): 5:05pm On May 17, 2022
Just learnt on nairaland that the problem is from metecopo
topsy23:

What is the problem? Is it the roofing sheet materials or the roofer I mean the installer
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ifejilika(m): 5:06pm On May 17, 2022
Thanks bro, I am happy to know it was not from my installer, never will i use it again. I will like to call on you for any other help
diordaves:

It is not your installer. Metcopo as a design concept is flawed. The pressing at the factory is the issue. In my situation, about nine of us used metcopo then in the estate from different installers. Six of us suffered the same faith. My installer was highly experience, so I was sure it was not installer issue.

Metcopo no be am.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 5:17pm On May 17, 2022
gandkiss:
Hello house, good morning, please am having issues with my Borehole each time it rains the water becomes unclean. What do I do?

Surface runoff is finding it's way into your Borehole. Try to do cementation around the hole head.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Larwin(m): 5:22pm On May 17, 2022
kopell:

Yea, Ajah is a very terrible terrain to get clean water. As you were able to get one, the property value should increase by 3. Most properties there rely on tankers to drop clean water for them. Getting clean water is based on both geologist and drillers' experience, and God.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 5:37pm On May 17, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 5:43pm On May 17, 2022
kopell:
Thanks for the tip

(1) (2) (3) ... (2990) (2991) (2992) (2993) (2994) (2995) (2996) ... (3667) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ArcToyin(m), OkanlawonB(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.