Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3106) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4395803 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3103) (3104) (3105) (3106) (3107) (3108) (3109) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by cayorday89(m): 12:26pm On Aug 20, 2022
topsy23:

God will help and deliver us from tye hand of wicked people ...

This reminds me the day I was robbed on Otedola bridge while coming from a site in Office pic estate around 7:30pm my car engine just switched off on a motion, just managed to park on one side in order not to cause traffic. Within 2mins before I got down from the car two guys just came from no where and pretend as if they wanted to help me. Within 3mins another set of guys joined them, 6 of them and I was the only one in the car ...

Do you know what they told me? They said they will break all the glasses and wound me if I did not get down from the car. Trying to call some people but was helpless. There is police checkpoint under the bridge but could not get in touch with them. I opened the door and get down trying to beg them with little 5k I have on me. They said their money is 50k... They collected all my phone's and also the 5k....

After the robbery a minute later towing vehicles came and said he will help me and while negotiating with him another good Samaritan just stopped and helped me tow the car to my area without collecting anything. I was begging the towing vehicle driver to collect 10k when he said 20k last.

Lagos is not safe and those bad guys are outside there looking for whom to rob or steal from.

Those guys said We are passing on that road everyday and we don't border whether they are hungry or not.

God will help us

Last part got me laughing and at the same time pondering on a whole lot of things... Most of them don't know the stress and pains people go through to have what they see as privileges with them(the touts) contented with just begging. Lagos na wa, for now I have taken a break from Lagos till God knows when. I can't deal with all the stress that state has in offer and not getting much value for my state of mind...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:12pm On Aug 20, 2022
MrOkenwa:

Sir, this septic tank caught my attention. Would you mind to explain why it was partitioned into 3 parts?. With this system, do you still need a soak away pit? Do you have a separate system for wastes coming from the kitchens and bathrooms?
I have a rental build that's expected to accommodate between 32 to 40 people. so, we did 14x6x10ft septic with soak away of 6x6x6ft. Both will take care of the poop. We are digging a hole of about 15 rings depth for the water coming from the kitchens and bathrooms.
I don't know if you have a better suggestion. Thank you.

I'm not sure but it seems we both have the same challenges and we both did the same thing but in a different way.

I used the three chamber method to solve the classical challenge of soakaways: filling up too quickly. So from the pic I showed earlier, wastewater from the kitchen and the bathroom will go into the FIRST chamber. Mind you this wastewater contains a lot of SLUDGE which settle at the bottom of the soakaway. As a reason, water penetration (soakaway) into the ground is prevented. This is why soakaways fill up in no time.

So to solve this problem, a baffle (connecting pipe) is built about two third up to connect the FIRST CHAMBER to the SECOND CHAMBER. This connecting pipe now drains clear wastewater without or little of the problematic sludge (see attached illustration) into the SECOND Chamber. The second chamber has a hole at the bottom for wastewater penetration (soakaway) into the ground (see photo). This way the soakaway never fills up or takes years to fill up speaking from my experience.

The THIRD CHAMBER is for the toilets.

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:23pm On Aug 20, 2022
kopell:
in addition to this question sir. I have a similar project which I’m delaying my decision on the septic tank. I would love to have this new system my concern is, there is no gutter in the area to discharge the waste water to. How do I discharge the waste water? I’m thinking of having extra space that can hold those waste water and later discharge them when the gutter is available in area. I hope the experts in the house can help explain this idea of extra tank to hold waste water and later discharge. Is this idea will work, to help make a better decision. Experts in fields let hear from you.

I had this same challenge without a public gutter. The three chamber method solved the problem for me. And yes, when there is a public gutter, you can then re-design the network to drain into the public amenity.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 3:46pm On Aug 20, 2022
MrOkenwa:

Thank you for your response ma.
What size of septic tank do you suggest that I add to the existing one?
I don't have much space but I can still create space for a smaller size with more depth.
Yes, the hole is meant to serve till the landlords in the community are ready to join hands together to construct a channel for our waste water. Thank you.

Don't make it too deep o or else you may hit the water table and create another problem.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 4:45pm On Aug 20, 2022
diordaves:

I had this same challenge without a public gutter. The three chamber method solved the problem for me. And yes, when there is a public gutter, you can then re-design the network to drain into the public amenity.
Thank you very much sir, I always challenge how things are done and try to get the best out of it. I understand some of our people will always tell you oga e no go work or this is how we dey doam. This reminds me of my first battle with the artisans when they were building my waste chambers in my first building years ago, when I challenged them that everything must be below ground level. They resisted until I fired 2 of them and finally they did what I wanted. It remained the same way since then. My next move now is to challenge the bio digester builders to build extra tank to temporarily hold waste water until we have a gutter in the area to discharge it into.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 5:30pm On Aug 20, 2022
Hello great minds of this great platform, please I need your constructive criticism on this rough sketch of a 3 bed bungalow.. the land in question is 50*100 dry land.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 5:36pm On Aug 20, 2022
Laudbtc:
Hello great minds of this great platform, please I need your constructive criticism on this rough sketch of a 3 bed bungalow.. the land in question is 50*100 dry land.
grin

Which side is the front?
Do you enter the living room from the roof grin

Abeg look for a professional architect to give you a good design. Make over sabi no destroy you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cold141114(m): 5:38pm On Aug 20, 2022
kalu61:
grin

Which side is the front?

Abeg look for a professional architect to give you a good design. Make over sabi no destroy you

That's where the livingroom is na
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cold141114(m): 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2022
Laudbtc:

See that ziz-zag place be what?

Modified: it's passage to rooms.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kalu61(m): 5:44pm On Aug 20, 2022
Cold141114:

See that ziz-zag place be what?

Modified: it's passage to rooms.....
That place go dark like underground
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cold141114(m): 5:46pm On Aug 20, 2022
kalu61:
That place go dark like underground

Ventilation self.....

Modified.....plumber self go suffer for runnings

And person go easily meet when leaving each room

Where visitor toilet self? Sharing wall with kitchen and where windows go dey?

All rooms with one window each
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Rany4all(m): 6:02pm On Aug 20, 2022
Laudbtc:
1. Where is the entrance to the living room?
2. No windows?
3. Difficult to achieve cross ventilation in all 3 bed rooms and living room with this design.
4. You may need a visitors' wc, if you're going to have all bed rooms ensuite.
5. How do you intend to get some daylight into that lobby?
6. Only 1 entrance?
7. No ventilation for the store?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 6:44pm On Aug 20, 2022
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is the actual positioning of the diagram sent to me and it’s just a rough work which we are hoping to build on to get the perfect patch. Even other architects drawing pass through evaluation where which I’ve seen countless time and I’ll appreciate every contribution to this or remodeling. I don’t think there’s an indication for windows yet in the drawing

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:16pm On Aug 20, 2022
KolaShangOne:

Regal paints wink
Thanks very much for your continued patronage sir. You're greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by UC92: 9:15pm On Aug 20, 2022
Laudbtc:
Thanks guys for your feedback. This is the actual positioning of the diagram sent to me and it’s just a rough work which we are hoping to build on to get the perfect patch. Even other architects drawing pass through evaluation where which I’ve seen countless time and I’ll appreciate every contribution to this or remodeling. I don’t think there’s an indication for windows yet in the drawing
I will strictly advice you engage an Architect so your ideas can be refined and developed into something good.
Remain blessed sir.

Modified

From your space designation on the sketch I think you require the following
Entrance porch
Anteroom
Lounge
Kitchen
Dining
3 ensuite bedroom
Store
Laundry.
The width of the sketch says 42.5ft while the length says 52.5ft and your plot size is 50*100ft. Your setback from the approach and rear is more than adequate but on the left and right side you are only left with about 3ft3 on both hence not adequate. Spaces on the left and right side will experience poor ventilation and lighting and by that implication the design may not scale approval.

I won't talk about the functional flow, zoning and relationship of your spaces till you engage an Architect.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Laudbtc: 9:44pm On Aug 20, 2022
UC92:

I will strictly advice you engage an Architect so your ideas can be refined and developed into something good.
Remain blessed sir.

Modified

From your space designation on the sketch I think you require the following
Entrance porch
Anteroom
Lounge
Kitchen
Dining
3 ensuite bedroom
Store
Laundry.
The width of the sketch says 42.5ft while the length says 52.5ft and your plot size is 50*100ft. Your setback from the approach and rear is more than adequate but on the left and right side you are only left with about 3ft3 on both hence not adequate. Spaces on the left and right side will experience poor ventilation and lighting and by that implication the design may not scale approval.

I won't talk about the functional flow, zoning and relationship of your spaces till you engage an Architect.
Thanks for your input
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 11:09pm On Aug 20, 2022
cayorday89:

Last part got me laughing and at the same time pondering on a whole lot of things... Most of them don't know the stress and pains people go through to have what they see as privileges with them(the touts) contented with just begging. Lagos na wa, for now I have taken [b]a break from Lagos till God knows when. I can't deal with all the stress that state has in offer [/b]and not getting much value for my state of mind...

Lagos is really hectic.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 11:15pm On Aug 20, 2022
twinskenny:

You right but some of these guys don't want to learn or work... I have had more than 5 apprentice this year alone that won't Stay to learn.. they prefer to go yahoo way.. they want quick money. Want to driver Benz in no time..

Some of them don't want to start small

Do you make provision for their feeding (3 times a day) and accommodation and clothing? If your answer is yes, then those individuals are irredeemable. Among those apprentices that go back to their homes at the end of the day, only a handful have the resources to continue showing up everyday. Lets face it, most young people that go to learn handwork are often from families with very little means. Another advantage of having them live-in is that it makes them more focused and takes distraction from former acquaintances away. The reason why the Igbo apprentice system has flourished is because all these needs are taken care of by the Oga, until the apprentice is able to fend for himself.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 11:57pm On Aug 20, 2022
sonnie10:

Do you make provision for their feeding (3 times a day) and accommodation and clothing? If your answer is yes, then those individuals are irredeemable. Among those apprentices that go back to their homes at the end of the day, only a handful have the resources to continue showing up everyday. Lets face it, most young people that go to learn handwork are often from families with very little means. Another advantage of having them live-in is that it makes them more focused and takes distraction from former acquaintances away. The reason why the Igbo apprentice system has flourished is because all these needs are taken care of by the Oga, until the apprentice is able to fend for himself.

The bolded is a Notable Point✓

Of Course We understand the lack of resources to continue showing up everyday for training (especially when distance could pose a barrier)
While Some of these apprentice , their place of training (handiwork/skills) is not far from their home (Trekkable) , Yet they're just unserious & don't want to make sacrifices.

Some Oga's don't even feed three times daily, so you can't expect them to be feed three times daily. An apprentice who came from a family of very little means, should not expect a *Çømfortble ¶rocess* The road to success is never Smooth. ✓

Most of them want fast Money..... (They'd rather not go through the process)

8 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by justicechichex: 1:13am On Aug 21, 2022
cayorday89:

justicechichex, just a friendly reminder from that transformer vandal, you can see the difference in price here also, stelaing something worth almost 1m and selling for just 25k..

Yeah, now i see. These ones are hungry thieves. What's the need of stealing an item worth nearly a million naira and going off to sale for just a paltry sum of 25k.

No words to describe this thief.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:39am On Aug 21, 2022
DFAMEGUY11S:
60x60 virony porcelain is okay as well and is affordable
I don't understand why you guys are afraid to display your average prices according to brand and sizes as you display your products and adjust as it rises. I will soon need 480 cartons of 60x60 and 180 carton of 30x60. It should be an open market and competitive for customers.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hamtabfawaz(m): 2:54am On Aug 21, 2022
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by michlins(m): 5:49am On Aug 21, 2022
twinskenny:

You right but some of these guys don't want to learn or work... I have had more than 5 apprentice this year alone that won't Stay to learn.. they prefer to go yahoo way.. they want quick money. Want to driver Benz in no time..

Some of them don't want to start small

I just dey laugh and at the same time imagining what Nigeria will be like in ten years time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 11:03am On Aug 21, 2022
DFAMEGUY11S:
you can chatting me up so that I can send you the catalogue so that you can pick from there as well

Okay Sir, I will...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 11:05am On Aug 21, 2022
kopell:
I don't understand why you guys are afraid to display your average prices according to brand and sizes as you display your products and adjust as it rises. I will soon need 480 cartons of 60x60 and 180 carton of 30x60. It should be an open market and competitive for customers.

Agreed...it will make it easier for both parties
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Wande22(m): 1:08pm On Aug 21, 2022
bolu1986:

total area in sqm = 100.6
estimated materials
cement 40bags
filas 30kg
5liter groundnt oil
5key soap
4 long range
casting board
labour per sqm varies.. depend on design #1500 upward

thank you

please note: the above still depend on your choice of design..
for your quality Screeding Paint, think Of Makod POP Screeding Paint and Makod Bond
Call 08163513430 now
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 1:59pm On Aug 21, 2022
diordaves:

I'm not sure but it seems we both have the same challenges and we both did the same thing but in a different way.

I used the three chamber method to solve the classical challenge of soakaways: filling up too quickly. So from the pic I showed earlier, wastewater from the kitchen and the bathroom will go into the FIRST chamber. Mind you this wastewater contains a lot of SLUDGE which settle at the bottom of the soakaway. As a reason, water penetration (soakaway) into the ground is prevented. This is why soakaways fill up in no time.

So to solve this problem, a baffle (connecting pipe) is built about two third up to connect the FIRST CHAMBER to the SECOND CHAMBER. This connecting pipe now drains clear wastewater without or little of the problematic sludge (see attached illustration) into the SECOND Chamber. The second chamber has a hole at the bottom for wastewater penetration (soakaway) into the ground (see photo). This way the soakaway never fills up or takes years to fill up speaking from my experience.

The THIRD CHAMBER is for the toilets.
This is quite helpful sir. Thank you for your detailed response.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 2:12pm On Aug 21, 2022
kopell:
good morning and happy Sunday to you sir pls price will never be problem for us sir just WhatsApp me you will get good price from us sir , I can send you catalogue of both wall and floor you will pick sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Cold141114(m): 2:18pm On Aug 21, 2022
DFAMEGUY11S:
good morning and happy Sunday to you sir pls price will never be problem for us sir just WhatsApp me you will get good price from us sir , I can send you catalogue of both wall and floor you will pick sir

Location nko......your shop dey alaba side for odunade.......... If he's in place far from lagos then i suggest he doesn't try lagos because bad roads can lead to lots of damages oooo.....
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by DFAMEGUY11S(m): 2:33pm On Aug 21, 2022
Cold141114:

Location nko......your shop dey alaba side for odunade.......... If he's in place far from lagos then i suggest he doesn't try lagos because bad roads can lead to lots of damages oooo.....
this is my address on my waybill sir , yes near alaba

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by otedola1(m): 4:09pm On Aug 21, 2022
good day guru

i need experience Bricklayer that can work on my next month Sep project @ Ibadan
the build is old building wish i want extend itand change 2 new modern
i think Cotonu bricklayer always doing perfect job, if anyone have they contact

(1) (2) (3) ... (3103) (3104) (3105) (3106) (3107) (3108) (3109) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Erums(m), kelvin1191(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.