Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,436 members, 7,823,014 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:27 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (3241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4412881 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3238) (3239) (3240) (3241) (3242) (3243) (3244) ... (3670) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by megacontrol(m): 1:12pm On Dec 11, 2022
Hello bro,

Please who is that dude from here that did your plumbing?
I've been looking for your post where you reviewed your vendors. pls tag or help with his contact.

Thanks

somehow:
Hello house.

Please, for a treated borehole sending water with some particles of sand from the reserved tank to the main tank, what can be done to eliminate sand from getting to the main tank?

To the few plumbers we have on this thread and to the knowledgeable ones here.

Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Beframia: 1:28pm On Dec 11, 2022
This is quite sad, I feel your pains my brother. I once had a similar experience such that I had to instruct that a soak-away be broken almost completely after I re-assigned it to another artisan. Since then, I vowed to always be around during any stage of my project. Some of these artisans are heartless and without conscience, they always wish you would just pay them without them offering any service ...as if money easy to get.
You have stalled for too long at this stage for no fault of yours, you are only trying to help someone who obviously is not ready to be helped.
I'm of same opinion as previous commenters, get another artisan to correct and complete your job while you pursue a refund.
All the best.

Successbay:
Good morning Nairalanders,

I made a report about Adedward , an aluminium guy whom I contracted some jobs too since the 6th of August, 2022, based on reaching out to me for assistance and previous work relationship. I remembered quite a number of people on this forum were demanding for his identity and even sent reminders on the status of the job, following a grace period of 1 week after he had delayed for so long to see if he will keep to his promise of completing the job... I was however shocked only two people from the pool of Nairalanders calling for his identity commented on my report/post, quite funny though.. This report was made on this forum on 7th of November, 2022.

Today makes it exactly 127 days after I contracted this job to Adedward and 34 days after I reported him on this platform, with no significant progress made on the job till date.

I remembered him responding to my post, even though some of his allegations were false, I decided not to trade words with him, all I wanted is a completion of the jobs I gave to him in the shortest possible time. He reached out and promised to complete my work within a week of my post.

He came with his apprentice boy afterwards, while I was away in my station outside Lagos, to work on the window nets, he left the boy to do the job. I returned to meet the boy 5 days later, doing nothing after he was partly done with the frame nets which were poorly fixed and uncompleted. The boy was doing nothing, just sleeping and waking up, with my wife taking care of his feeding day and night. He was staying in my BQ. All the while, Adedward refused to show up. Three days after my arrival, I told the boy to leave and return to his boss, since he was literally not doing anything. It was then he told me his oga has instructed him to go get the net materials and that he will be coming with the remaining frames for the window nets. This didn't happen that day and I had to return to my station the next day.

I remembered discussing with him over the phone for the side elbow for the downspout part of the rain water collector, after he told me he was bringing in some boys to complete the rain collector. I even had to send him money for additional 14 Pcs, when he claimed it was not in original calculation, but to my greatest surprise he came around with just 4 Pcs. The boys came and could only do about 10% of the job, cos obviously the rain collector parts he had bought were not complete, as some important parts for joining the gutters were grossly insufficient, in fact the boys complained that the materials were not enough. It was then it dawned on me that he only bought some of the needed materials and dumped them onsite as a pretense that what was left is workmanship.

He, Adedward even came at some time to work on the Toilet doors and did a very bad job of fixing the aluminium doors for the bathrooms, after convincing me to remove 5 ready made doors already installed for the bathrooms, with the promise of giving me better durable aluminium toilet doors. With the exception of the door to the master bedroom which is not completed though, all other doors are with faults, in fact he told me two of the doors can never close except he breaks the already tiled walls for the frames, heaping blames on the tilers and bricklayers, for frames he erected by HIMSELF.

All these were happening, while I was away.. It was very obvious he was avoiding me.. So, last weekend when I was home, I requested to see him unfailingly and he came on Sunday, the 4th of November 2022. I showed him all around the house and expressed my dissatisfaction on the jobs he did for me and why he would leave his boy alone to do the job. Mosquitoes are coming into the house in droves from the side of the net frames, poor quality of window nets used and poor fixation too, the toilet doors are either not completely/badly fixed, the rain collectors is still less than 15% completion, and some joint areas are leaking etc... And of course, still owing me #80,000 refund from the money given to him for the cubicle.. He begged me to give him a week, but I gave him 3 days...

The following day, I didn't travel to my station as expected and waited to see if he will keep to his promise of coming to start the job as promised... Adedward didn't show up till I called him at night, it was then he told me he had a fall from the bike while on his way home and promised to do something about the work the following day...The following day, I called at night again, he said his back was paining him.. asked if he is on admission, he said No, but was taken to an hospital, he doesn't know the name of the hospital and that he did an X-RAY in a Lab grin, he also doesn't know the name either.. On Thursday, he sent a message that his boy will be coming with the guys to fix the water collector and that he will fix the bathroom doors by himself...

It's a week after his promises, and he has still not shown up..neither his boy nor the water collector guys..

I am sure there are people on this platform that are his friends or close associates, how would you feel if you contracted a job that shouldn't take more than 1 week and it is yet to be completed 127 days (4 months plus and counting) later... long after complete payment and still expecting a refund of #80,000 from the person you gave the job to..

I have exercised more than enough patience and gentleness, and will go through any legal means to retrieve my money from Adedward...

He can hide or run for as long as he wants.. but the law and the works of his hands will catch up with him!

I told him to his face that he, Adedward is not reliable, has no integrity and grossly unprofessional, and it remains so, until proven otherwise!

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 1:55pm On Dec 11, 2022
Lekan239:
Who can do something like this for me in Ado-Ekiti. And how much should I be budgeting?
Nigerians though! Why are we kinda like this, you picked the design from the Original designer and he's on this same thread and you still had to ask this?

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Olumighty123(m): 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2022
Successbay:
Thank you sir,

Kindly share details.

0808 300. 5557 Tunde

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:28pm On Dec 11, 2022
Beframia:

This is quite sad, I feel your pains my brother. I once had a similar experience such that I had to instruct that a soak-away be broken almost completely after I re-assigned it to another artisan. Since then, I vowed to always be around during any stage of my project. Some of these artisans are heartless and without conscience, they always wish you would just pay them without them offering any service ...as if money easy to get.
You have stalled for too long at this stage for no fault of yours, you are only trying to help someone who obviously is not ready to be helped.
I'm of same opinion as previous commenters, get another artisan to correct and complete your job while you pursue a refund.
All the best.

This is sad, why why making clients go through these every time. Adedward come and defend yourself, one of to many. To many dramas behind the screen, this is how Brabus start oooo.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 2:30pm On Dec 11, 2022
Successbay:

I made a report about Adedward , an aluminium guy whom I contracted some jobs too since the 6th of August, 2022, based on reaching out to me for assistance and previous work relationship. I remembered quite a number of people on this forum were demanding for his identity and even sent reminders on the status of the job, following a grace period of 1 week after he had delayed for so long to see if he will keep to his promise of completing the job... I was however shocked only two people from the pool of Nairalanders calling for his identity commented on my report/post, quite funny though.. This report was made on this forum on 7th of November, 2022.

Today makes it exactly 127 days after I contracted this job to Adedward and 34 days after I reported him on this platform, with no significant progress made on the job till date.

I remembered him responding to my post, even though some of his allegations were false, I decided not to trade words with him, all I wanted is a completion of the jobs I gave to him in the shortest possible time. He reached out and promised to complete my work within a week of my post.

He came with his apprentice boy afterwards, while I was away in my station outside Lagos, to work on the window nets, he left the boy to do the job. I returned to meet the boy 5 days later, doing nothing after he was partly done with the frame nets which were poorly fixed and uncompleted. The boy was doing nothing, just sleeping and waking up, with my wife taking care of his feeding day and night. He was staying in my BQ. All the while, Adedward refused to show up. Three days after my arrival, I told the boy to leave and return to his boss, since he was literally not doing anything. It was then he told me his oga has instructed him to go get the net materials and that he will be coming with the remaining frames for the window nets. This didn't happen that day and I had to return to my station the next day.

I remembered discussing with him over the phone for the side elbow for the downspout part of the rain water collector, after he told me he was bringing in some boys to complete the rain collector. I even had to send him money for additional 14 Pcs, when he claimed it was not in original calculation, but to my greatest surprise he came around with just 4 Pcs. The boys came and could only do about 10% of the job, cos obviously the rain collector parts he had bought were not complete, as some important parts for joining the gutters were grossly insufficient, in fact the boys complained that the materials were not enough. It was then it dawned on me that he only bought some of the needed materials and dumped them onsite as a pretense that what was left is workmanship.

He, Adedward even came at some time to work on the Toilet doors and did a very bad job of fixing the aluminium doors for the bathrooms, after convincing me to remove 5 ready made doors already installed for the bathrooms, with the promise of giving me better durable aluminium toilet doors. With the exception of the door to the master bedroom which is not completed though, all other doors are with faults, in fact he told me two of the doors can never close except he breaks the already tiled walls for the frames, heaping blames on the tilers and bricklayers, for frames he erected by HIMSELF.

All these were happening, while I was away.. It was very obvious he was avoiding me.. So, last weekend when I was home, I requested to see him unfailingly and he came on Sunday, the 4th of November 2022. I showed him all around the house and expressed my dissatisfaction on the jobs he did for me and why he would leave his boy alone to do the job. Mosquitoes are coming into the house in droves from the side of the net frames, poor quality of window nets used and poor fixation too, the toilet doors are either not completely/badly fixed, the rain collectors is still less than 15% completion, and some joint areas are leaking etc... And of course, still owing me #80,000 refund from the money given to him for the cubicle.. He begged me to give him a week, but I gave him 3 days...

The following day, I didn't travel to my station as expected and waited to see if he will keep to his promise of coming to start the job as promised... Adedward didn't show up till I called him at night, it was then he told me he had a fall from the bike while on his way home and promised to do something about the work the following day...The following day, I called at night again, he said his back was paining him.. asked if he is on admission, he said No, but was taken to an hospital, he doesn't know the name of the hospital and that he did an X-RAY in a Lab grin, he also doesn't know the name either.. On Thursday, he sent a message that his boy will be coming with the guys to fix the water collector and that he will fix the bathroom doors by himself...

It's a week after his promises, and he has still not shown up..neither his boy nor the water collector guys..

I am sure there are people on this platform that are his friends or close associates, how would you feel if you contracted a job that shouldn't take more than 1 week and it is yet to be completed 127 days (4 months plus and counting) later... long after complete payment and still expecting a refund of #80,000 from the person you gave the job to..

I have exercised more than enough patience and gentleness, and will go through any legal means to retrieve my money from Adedward...

He can hide or run for as long as he wants.. but the law and the works of his hands will catch up with him!

I told him to his face that he, Adedward is not reliable, has no integrity and grossly unprofessional, and it remains so, until proven otherwise!

This is sad, why why making clients go through these every time. Adedward come and defend yourself, one of to many. To many dramas behind the screen, this is how Brabus start oooo.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 2:39pm On Dec 11, 2022
CivilEngineer90:
standard price of 1km is 1m dollars, convert it to naira and add 20% inflation overhead. That's your budget range.
For those normal street roads? Just considering the road leading to the house. Those normal less than one Lane Road with less traffic since it's kinda a close Road.

Will it also be 1M?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by toluxa1(m): 2:39pm On Dec 11, 2022
kopell:

When I wanted to do my windows I got quote from 5 different people both on and off nairaland. His quote was the cheapest of all of them. I was like one hour away from calling him for the job I just said let me type his name on nairaland and take time to go through all mentions. It was then I saw issues with 2 people in the past. I changed my mind at the last min and gave someone else who was like 150k more than his own and no regrets at all. I don't know why people don't take their reputation seriously at all. It's sad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:46pm On Dec 11, 2022
megacontrol:
Hello bro,

Please who is that dude from here that did your plumbing?
I've been looking for your post where you reviewed your vendors. pls tag or help with his contact.

Thanks

This particular borehole is located where I have my office. Didn't contract the person that built it.

For my build, the first phase of plumbing was done by a plumber recommended by @Twinskenny. Forgotten his username.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 4:50pm On Dec 11, 2022
redgem:

Ask for a refund and get someone else to do the work, that's the best option now to me...

I pray we never ever meet artisans who are out to frustrate us.. Smh and to think that I considered getting windows from him before I thought of the distance.. It is well.

Adedward you need to either complete his work perfectly or please refund his money if you can't do it.

I doubt people like him can refund, he must have spent the money, hence the delays and use of substandard materials/finishes.

The story is always very similar, once they start posting you and bringing up various excuses, be rest assured that they have spent your money on personal effect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CivilEngineer90: 5:23pm On Dec 11, 2022
Born2conquer:

For those normal street roads? Just considering the road leading to the house. Those normal less than one Lane Road with less traffic since it's kinda a close Road.

Will it also be 1M?
construction costs will depend on so many factors one being the state of the soil and type of reparation it needs. For a soil that is very poor in bearing or has a bad soil then the soil has to be excavated and taken out which will take weeks. You think Benz consume fuel then don't try those bulldozers. Calculate their rental costs, cost of a certified operator, rental is per hour not day so night hours count. Before you blink 50m Is already gone. Buying binder materials eg cotar is equally rising in cost like her sister cement. You have to carry out tests, it's not like building construction that you don't get necessary approvals and that costs alot that you may start wondering why is government not happy you are building a road that they couldn't. As you are working you are doing tests and getting approvals.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Successbay: 6:34pm On Dec 11, 2022
Thank you sir.

Olumighty123:

0808 300. 5557 Tunde
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Successbay: 6:36pm On Dec 11, 2022
Thanks chief,

Your comments and concerns are well appreciated.

Beframia:

All the best.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Successbay: 6:39pm On Dec 11, 2022
Succinct and on point sir,

Your points are well noted for for action and for future jobs.

Well appreciated.

diordaves:

This is an unfortunate read. Unless I'm getting my lines crossed, I thought he posted sometime ago that he has restituted the situation?

Going forward, put measures in place to recover your money. At this point decommission him immediately. Chasing him to complete the job is just good money chasing after bad. He obviously doesn't have the capacity and capabilities to complete the job to the standard and quality you expect.

As you select a trade to complete the job, take this: Unless, the trade is a demonstrated builder, NEVER give multiple scopes of Job to a single tradesperson or artisan. For example, Adedward is a window guy. Period. Don't commission him to supply you sand for example.

A plumber is a plumber. Period. Come plumb the site and leave. Period.

A roofer is a roofer. Come keep the site dry and leave.

If you are not making use of a builder, then go the direct labour route. An aluminum trade has no business with your roof or knocking down walls for example. Give that scope of work directly to a specialist tradesperson. It is called core competence.

With this approach, you avoid the situation where just one trade is holding the whole project to ransom because so much scopes have been allocated to them and many of the scope they don't have core competence. They will obviously contract these out to third parties cheaply or pretend to use 'boy'. This is where the problems start.

All the best.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Successbay: 6:45pm On Dec 11, 2022
The true picture....

somehow:

I doubt people like him can refund, he must have spent the money, hence the delays and use of substandard materials/finishes.

The story is always very similar, once they start posting you and bringing up various excuses, be rest assured that they have spent your money on personal effect.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 7:53pm On Dec 11, 2022
toluxa1:

When I wanted to do my windows I got quote from 5 different people both on and off nairaland. His quote was the cheapest of all of them. I was like one hour away from calling him for the job I just said let me type his name on nairaland and take time to go through all mentions. It was then I saw issues with 2 people in the past. I changed my mind at the last min and gave someone else who was like 150k more than his own and no regrets at all. I don't know why people don't take their reputation seriously at all. It's sad.
Exactly the same thing I did.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by hslbroker2(m): 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2022
ollykay619:

I will contact you

thank you sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Lekan239(m): 8:22pm On Dec 11, 2022
Born2conquer:

Nigerians though! Why are we kinda like this, you picked the design from the Original designer and he's on this same thread and you still had to ask this?
who is the original designer
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 8:45pm On Dec 11, 2022
somehow:

Why spend the funds before completing his work? We make mistakes paying artisans full payment before they get the work done.

Have you settled the issue with next?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TEQ365VENTURES(m): 8:52pm On Dec 11, 2022
toluxa1:

Omo that guy would always give you a quote cheaper than every other person. I think he does this to get the job and at the end of the day he Will make the client go through hell.

When I read here about his dishonesty i jejely gave my job to someone that will give me peace of mind. It’s now 8 months I’ve done the casement baba still enter my Dm recently asking about the job even with the bad record he has created for himself here.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by MrOkenwa(m): 9:42pm On Dec 11, 2022
Successbay:

This is very sad and quite disappointing. I wonder how fast people change. You can give the job to another artisan while you go after him for your full refund.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Born2conquer: 12:01am On Dec 12, 2022
Lekan239:
who is the original designer
You know what you did. Goodnight

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by diordaves(m): 12:49am On Dec 12, 2022
redgem:

Why spend the funds before completing his work? We make mistakes paying artisans full payment before they get the work done.

Why spend the funds before completing his work? The issue is budgeting or better put, lack of budgeting skills.

Budgeting skills is the ability of an individual to adopt a proactive approach towards managing their company's money and also their personal funds leading to the growth of the business. Budgeting skills involve conscious decision making about allocation of money such that expenditures do not exceed the income. Most artisans have the trade skills but lack big time the budgeting skills to allocate appropriately huge funds. This is the reason you would notice an artisan who keeps getting trade and has been in the business for a number of years, yet they are still small. No personal growth. No company growth. Then you would ask yourself; if you keep getting trade, why are you still small in company outlay? No assets, no tools, no machinery. Still that basic rudimentary set-up you started with 20 years ago - Lack of budgeting skills.

So as a homeowner, when you are awarding jobs to artisans, just be aware of this. Don't bombard them with so much scopes leading to so much huge financial allocation. Break the job down into chunks (small segments) and allocate funds accordingly. Only make further funds allocation when the previous segment has been completed satisfactorily. This is known as project management. The homeowners who run into HUGE difficulties with their tradespeople are the homeowners who failed to manage the processes of their project.

It is of note that some Nigerian professional graduates also don't have budgeting skills. So, in no time they run into difficulties.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by sonnie10: 5:35am On Dec 12, 2022
diordaves:

Why spend the funds before completing his work? The issue is budgeting or better put, lack of budgeting skills.

Budgeting skills is the ability of an individual to adopt a proactive approach towards managing their company's money and also their personal funds leading to the growth of the business. Budgeting skills involve conscious decision making about allocation of money such that expenditures do not exceed the income. Most artisans have the trade skills but lack big time the budgeting skills to allocate appropriately huge funds. This is the reason you would notice an artisan who keeps getting trade and has been in the business for a number of years, yet they are still small. No personal growth. No company growth. Then you would ask yourself; if you keep getting trade, why are you still small in company outlay? No assets, no tools, no machinery. Still that basic rudimentary set-up you started with 20 years ago - Lack of budgeting skills.

So as a homeowner, when you are awarding jobs to artisans, just be aware of this. Don't bombard them with so much scopes leading to so much huge financial allocation. Break the job down into chunks (small segments) and allocate funds accordingly. Only make further funds allocation when the previous segment has been completed satisfactorily. This is known as project management. The homeowners who run into HUGE difficulties with their tradespeople are the homeowners who failed to manage the processes of their project.

It is of note that some Nigerian professional graduates also don't have budgeting skills. So, in no time they run into difficulties.

What do say about people like Mr. Next? He has all the templates for building to the least details.
He has every tools and equipment you can imagine.
His budgeting skills are top notch.
Yet, he often runs into huge troubles with execution .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mystical888: 8:45am On Dec 12, 2022
Hello house,
Please any ideas how this is done on walls?
Is it texcote type of paint, screening or torolling?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gbadexy(m): 8:52am On Dec 12, 2022
Mystical888:
Hello house,
Please any ideas how this is done on walls?
Is it texcote type of paint, screening or torolling?

This is tyroline. Sharp sand and cement sprayed with a hand machine and partially smoothened.
The whole surface was later painted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by somehow: 9:13am On Dec 12, 2022
redgem:

That criminal?

Una go soon hear unsavory news about him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 9:30am On Dec 12, 2022
diordaves:

You are right Sir... That's why it's advisable to enroll in a business school and get the needed knowledge/skills to run your business.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by redgem(f): 9:30am On Dec 12, 2022
somehow:

That criminal?

Una go soon hear unsavory news about him.

It is well...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CivilEngineer90: 11:22am On Dec 12, 2022
Born2conquer:

what if he picked the design from the floor grin grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by CivilEngineer90: 11:25am On Dec 12, 2022
somehow:

This particular borehole is located where I have my office. Didn't contract the person that built it.

For my build, the first phase of plumbing was done by a plumber recommended by @Twinskenny. Forgotten his username.
even the @Twinskenny himself is a yeye somebody whom I will call a serial robber but that's an issue for another day. He's a very greedy dude who only thinks about himself.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3238) (3239) (3240) (3241) (3242) (3243) (3244) ... (3670) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ATPx, BabaChicago(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.