Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,925 members, 7,863,265 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 02:04 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (426) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506625 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:
@House

Please, what is the easiest way to increase water pressure on the 1st floor of a duplex?

While the water comes out well downstairs, the water mostly comes in trickles upstairs - you have to "collect" water before taking a bath defeating the purpose of having a shower head.

While I have read about power showers and all; I'm reading various conflicting reviews.

Can you gurus please help?

Thanks.
whats the height of your water tanks?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 12:57pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:
@House

Please, what is the easiest way to increase water pressure on the 1st floor of a duplex?

While the water comes out well downstairs, the water mostly comes in trickles upstairs - you have to "collect" water before taking a bath defeating the purpose of having a shower head.

While I have read about power showers and all; I'm reading various conflicting reviews.

Thanks.

Get a pressure pump.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ottersberger(m): 1:06pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:
@House

Thanks.

To recieve quality rejoinder, you will need to provide pertinent information. What or where is your water source?.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 1:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Get a pressure pump.
Would that not require a constant electricity?
think 9ja factor lol
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
Teebawse:
Good day house I need help,am at roofing stage in my project and the builder gave me a quote for metcoppo step tile 0.45mm 1,980 per sqm and 0.55mm as 2,420 per sqm am a novice when it comes to these things as am not in the country how true is this,note site is in Benin Edo state,I will really appreciate a response to my question before i end up being cheated as I don't know how true it is.

There is nothing like "Metcoppo Step Tile".

There's Metcoppo and there's Steptile.

Never agree to use 0.45 Guage for Steptile or Metcoppo ESPECIALLY if you're not using Tower or First Aluminium.

You need to ask for the type and name of company.

This message might be too late though.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:17pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

think 9ja factor lol

Most houses in Nigeria wait for Nepa before water is pumped. So, it's still same.

Or he an get a pump with a power rating that isn't more than that of his generator. We don't even know, Oga could be using a Milano smiley
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:20pm On Jul 24, 2016
Thanks.

Water source is from a borehole, pumped as required to a 1500l tank.

Tank is about 6m above ground.

Water supply from tank is via a 4 inch pipe I think. This runs down from the tank from where is is distributed around.

Pls note that most of the pipes are not on the surface so looking for the easiest solution.

Thanks in advance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 2:21pm On Jul 24, 2016
alstacs:
Good morning house.
We all know what the economy is saying now. There is no circulation of cash and as a result of this, many plans and hopes hopes are being dashed. The only people who are reigning now are baba Egunmogaji and his friends who earn and spend hard currency. and of course lord Spyder880 and Hajji mufutau55 who manage these resources for them efficiently and effectively. I bow!
For those of us who are labourers locally, we need help!

what is wrong with using used planks for boarding reinforcements and even to deck a floor? The current cost of fresh good planks 1x12x1 can send us back to the villages to go pick hoes and cutlass to raise money before we come back town. At this rate, maybe I will need wait forever struggling to buy iron rods and planks. E don reach like 2 years wey a abandon my foundation oh...
Is it wrong to buy good used planks?

i have dealt with a carpenter in Lagos who have his wood already and these are the best ppl you can use to cut cost cos they will charge u together with their materials and the advantage is; they won't want to lose the job therefore you will be given a reasonable price and if you do the calculations, you will see you will be paying less or nothing for their materials since it's their own and they will be going back with them.

Do the search wink

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
Oga Kola,
While I don't need to wait for Nepa to pump, I no get Mikano yet.

I also don't want to have to put a generator on in the mornings to power a boaster pump before I can take a bath.

Something with a little power consumption maybe that can be supported on an inverter.

Biko, help o!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 2:30pm On Jul 24, 2016
As @freeworld mentioned, "renting" off a building carpenter who will do the woodwork for the decking will be the cheapest option I.e. Don't buy used wood. I find that most of these wood actually get destroyed because of the carelessness with which they're removing after the curing duration.

You'll be surprised at how neat the wood turns out when it's theirs.

To point out though, these wood can sometimes be warped and as such, may lead to some bulges in some portions of your deck. If done well, this should be very minimal and will be covered up by your ceiling anyway, unless you intend having a bare rendered ceiling.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:35pm On Jul 24, 2016
alstacs:
Good morning house.
We all know what the economy is saying now. There is no circulation of cash and as a result of this, many plans and hopes hopes are being dashed. The only people who are reigning now are baba Egunmogaji and his friends who earn and spend hard currency. and of course lord Spyder880 and Hajji mufutau55 who manage these resources for them efficiently and effectively. I bow!
For those of us who are labourers locally, we need help!

what is wrong with using used planks for boarding reinforcements and even to deck a floor? The current cost of fresh good planks 1x12x1 can send us back to the villages to go pick hoes and cutlass to raise money before we come back town. At this rate, maybe I will need wait forever struggling to buy iron rods and planks. E don reach like 2 years wey a abandon my foundation oh...
Is it wrong to buy good used planks?

I like this guy... making me laugh. I hope I am not late into answering this. There is nothing wrong in using used planks for decking.

When I was about to deck my project in December 2015, me and my Builder (Aventures) had to look for way to save money on the decking cost becos I am a poor man. Actually like you, I had to go back to my Grandfather's Cocoa farm in the village with cutlass and hoes to do some work and gather money, but still the money was not enough. So Aventures came out with the idea of renting the woods and bamboo for the decking... we saved over N250k from the cost. The planks and bamboos we used have been used before, we also used plastic laid on the planks to preserve the planks and also to make the deck slab come out good. After our use, the same planks can still be used about five times more.. because they were still in good shape and not bent either. After the deck cured, the carpenter came and removed his planks and bamboos to be reused. The Carpenter owns the wood and he will cut and nail them the better way for him and the project.
I also used recycle planks for the lintels on both ground floor and upper floors... It saved me quite a bit of money.
I believe in idea of recycling and conservation, so reusable of anything possible is what I like. In my previous project, its used once and dispose the planks and bamboos; shared to the residents around the areas for fire wood... this ideas is wasteful. Planks can be recycled.

So go ahead and use good used planks and bamboos for your decking/lintel project... it will save you money.

Note: All the monies in this Forum is controlled by EgunMogaji o, I have nothing to do with it... I am a kobo-kobo project man. smiley

Hajji M.

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
@diordaves my Oga, Nice observation sir. The width of the doorway we met there was actually 900mm.. The dimensions of the toilets (1.85 x 1.6, 1.9 x 1.5) etc however necessitated us reducing this width. (Notice the breadths of 1.5,1.6) After fixing plumbing wares, the space reduced. We desired to have a uniform width for toilet doors so we reduced to 750mm (which is more like the standard for toilet doors by the way).
At the end of the day, one of the doors fell short, about 3inches and we are replacing it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Most houses in Nigeria wait for Nepa before water is pumped. So, it's still same.

Or he an get a pump with a power rating that isn't more than that of his generator. We don't even know, Oga could be using a Milano smiley
BAba u missed waht we where talking about, the pressure pump is like a step up transformer, when you open your tap the pressure pump realizes the water need more pressure and it starts up every time you open your tap, so for that you need electricity each time you open your tap grin grin
thats the one Im on about, now check that in the 9ja context, so U go wait until NEPA bring light b4 you open tap ni grin grin grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:
Thanks.

Water supply from tank is via a 4 inch pipe I think. This runs down from the tank from where is is distributed around.

Pls note that most of the pipes are not on the surface so looking for the easiest solution.

Thanks in advance.

Naaa.. It can't be 4inches.
Supply line from the tank is usually 1 inch. While the distribution line to the house is ¾". If you have a pipe bigger than 1" as supply, it may be the source of the problem.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
FreeWorld23:
i have dealt with a carpenter in Lagos who have his wood already and these are the best ppl you can use to cut cost cos they will charge u together with their materials and the advantage is; they won't want to lose the job therefore you will be given a reasonable price and if you do the calculations, you will see you will be paying less or nothing for their materials since it's their own and they will be going back with them.

Do the search wink

Ithink thats what Im going to explore, since money hard these days
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:49pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

BAba u missed waht we where talking about, the pressure pump is like a step up transformer, when you open your tap the pressure pump realizes the water need more pressure and it starts up every time you open your tap, so for that you need electricity each time you open your tap grin grin
thats the one Im on about, now check that in the 9ja context, so U go wait until NEPA bring light b4 you open tap ni grin grin grin

I agree. My context is from borehole to tank. His complain is the pressure inside the house.

But then, I have seem where a pressure pump is used in the same context I said earlier. If you go to the housing quarters for P & G staff in Agbara, each house has a pressure pump that is triggered by a sensor anytime an open valve is detected (a tap is opened). Their power is supplied from the factory so they have 24/7 electricity.

Too expensive for a house tho.

He may add to the height of this tank. Should solve the problem.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 2:50pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:
Thanks.

Thanks in advance.

Pressure pump should been the option for good water pressure on first floor.
Pressure pump can only work when there is power supply but with present situation of nigeria power supply hmmmm........

Your overhead tank is not high enough. You said 6m above the ground. The same level with the height of the house.

Last comment; what is type of pipe did you use during installation? It will be another story when you install pressure pump and the whole toilet started leaking.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

I like this guy... making me laugh. I hope I am not late into answering this. There is nothing wrong in using used planks for decking.

When I was about to deck my project in December 2015, me and my Builder (Aventures) had to look for way to save money on the decking cost becos I am a poor man. Actually like you, I had to go back to my Grandfather's Cocoa farm in the village with cutlass and hoes to do some work and gather money, but still the money was not enough. So Aventures came out with the idea of renting the woods and bamboo for the decking... we saved over N250k from the cost. The planks and bamboos we used have been used before, we also used plastic laid on the planks to preserve the planks and also to make the deck slab come out good. After our use, the same planks can still be used about five times more.. because they were still in good shape and not bent either. After the deck cured, the carpenter came and removed his planks and bamboos to be reused.
I also used recycle planks for the lintels on both ground floor and upper floors... It saved me quite a bit of money.
I believe in idea of recycling and conservation, so reusable of anything possible is what I like. In my previous project, its used once and dispose the planks and bamboos; shared to the residents around the areas for fire wood... this ideas is wasteful. Planks can be recycled.

So go ahead and use good used planks and bamboos for your decking/lintel project... it will save you money.

Note: All the monies in this Forum is controlled by EgunMogaji o, I have nothing to do with it... I am a kobo-kobo project man. smiley

Hajji M.

baba U don come again with this your kobo kobo level, coco farm ke or you mean the bank grin grin grin,show us teh way oh, we dey route 69 dey wait you ohhhh
I think this is what Im going to do, rent wod as my Build nah the original kobo kobo construction,one year two blocks grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:53pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:
As @freeworld mentioned, "renting" off a building carpenter who will do the woodwork for the decking will be the cheapest option I.e. Don't buy used wood. I find that most of these wood actually get destroyed because of the carelessness with which they're removing after the curing duration.

You'll be surprised at how neat the wood turns out when it's theirs.

To point out though, these wood can sometimes be warped and as such, may lead to some bulges in some portions of your deck. If done well, this should be very minimal and will be covered up by your ceiling anyway, unless you intend having a bare rendered ceiling.

Rent the wood from a known carpenter and you won't have any problem with the wood.. and most of them use the flat rubber sheet to cover it anyway. Read my reply.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:06pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

baba U don come again with this your kobo kobo level, coco farm ke or you mean the bank grin grin grin,show us teh way oh, we dey route 69 dey wait you ohhhh
I think this is what Im going to do, rent wod as my Build nah the original kobo kobo construction,one year two blocks grin grin

My brother, you can't show too much wealth in that our Naija especially from Diaspora.. smiley I am always poor, no shame o.
It's a good option to rent from those carpenters who are engaged in the renting business.
I do this for all my lintels and deckings too... the carpenter knows how to use and manipulate the woods so it can be resused for them and making sure your project comes out nice.. and don't forget to use the plastic sheet laid on the planks... Mine comes out real good.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 3:08pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Ithink thats what Im going to explore, since money hard these days
yes! We have them but they are scarce. Its not advisable to buy woods for decking at all if you are using it for just one project, renting or looking for carpenter that have is the best.

Where the money dey
Only for rich ppl wey get balls.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 3:12pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

When I was about to deck my project in December 2015, me and my Builder (Aventures) had to look for way to save money on the decking cost becos I am a poor man. Actually like you, I had to go back to my Grandfather's Cocoa farm in the village with cutlass and hoes to do some work and gather money, but still the money was not enough. So Aventures came out with the idea of renting the woods and bamboo for the decking... we saved over N250k from the cost. The planks and bamboos we used have been used before, we also used plastic laid on the planks to preserve the planks and also to make the deck slab come out good. After our use, the same planks can still be used about five times more.. because they were still in good shape and not bent either. After the deck cured, the carpenter came and removed his planks and bamboos to be reused. The Carpenter owns the wood and he will cut and nail them the better way for him and the project.

Hajji M.

if this my Oga can avoid buying wood despite sleeping with dollars, who born me?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 3:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

now I can safely laugh in Swahili and run after correct carpenters. We much enter this house this year oh....
loans too much on top.
Thanks a lot boss.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:27pm On Jul 24, 2016
FreeWorld23:
if this my Oga can avoid buying wood despite sleeping with dollars, who born me?

You know say, rich people don't become more richer from spending what they have but from more savings and investment.
So whatever we have, we must keep saving as to increase the wealth. No wasteful spending. Some wisdom I learnt.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 3:27pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

Boss, this is very good informative article about doors. I was just about to open a thread for doors disussions...
I will still open it and post the link here... this kind of naratives will help many people. Thank you.

Hajji M.

Hajji, Please, as a matter of urgency grin, open this thread. I asked the question over a month ago seeking general enlightenment on doors: Types, sizes, materials, cost estimate, etc.
This thread, if opened, will be a lifesaver for me and i believe for a lot of people
Thank you for the good work and the "gentlemanliness"

Do good for good to come your way
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 3:30pm On Jul 24, 2016
ANBAKO:

Hajji, Please, as a matter of urgency grin, open this thread. I asked the question over a month ago seeking general enlightenment on doors: Types, sizes, materials, cost estimate, etc.
This thread, if opened, will be a lifesaver for me and i believe for a lot of people
Thank you for the good work and the "gentlemanliness"

Do good for good to come your way
seconded
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 3:32pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

You know say, rich people don't become more richer from spending what they have but from more savings and investment.
So whatever we have, we must keep saving as to increase the wealth. No wasteful spending. Word of wisdom I learnt.

Hajji M.
Oga mi, na so.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:34pm On Jul 24, 2016
alstacs:

now I can safely laugh in Swahili and run after correct carpenters. We much enter this house this year oh....
loans too much on top.
Thanks a lot boss.

Building a house already consumes our savings unless you shared some loots from Dasuki. So we must conserve expenses where we can that will not degrade the integrity of the project. That is another one way we can save money.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:40pm On Jul 24, 2016
FreeWorld23:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 3:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
Plz anybody in the PH axis who k nows any carpenter who Does this renting of wood?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:13pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

think 9ja factor lol

They have solar powered pressure pumps now.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

They have solar powered pressure pumps now.
what would it be powering? all of the house pressure ie shower or evry?

(1) (2) (3) ... (423) (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.