Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,920 members, 7,863,229 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 01:29 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4506546 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (3696) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 4:27pm On Jul 24, 2016
topsy23:

Pressure pump should been the option for good water pressure on first floor.
Pressure pump can only work when there is power supply but with present situation of nigeria power supply hmmmm........

Your overhead tank is not high enough. You said 6m above the ground. The same level with the height of the house.

Last comment; what is type of pipe did you use during installation? It will be another story when you install pressure pump and the whole toilet started leaking.

Just regular PVC pipes.

@Kola, you're right. It's 1 inch.

The height of the tank would not make a difference in this case since the plumber still dropped the feeder pipe to the bottom before distributing.

I still need ideas from people who don't have this issue in their builds- how did you resolve it?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by battleaxe: 4:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

They have solar powered pressure pumps now.

Any suggestion as to where I can get this in country?

Where does this get installed? Right after the supply line from the tank?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 4:53pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:

Just regular PVC pipes.

The height of the tank would not make a difference in this case since the plumber still dropped the feeder pipe to the bottom before distributing.

I still need ideas from people who don't have this issue in their builds- how did you resolve it?

Raising the tank stand height will make a load of difference by increasing the hydrostatic pressure available. Also increasing the diameter of the supply (feeder) line from the overhead tank to the house, then reducing just before it enters the house might help.
Also confirm if the difference in the pressure from the shower and from the wash hand bowl at the same floor is significant ie if the hand wash flows with good enough pressure.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jul 24, 2016
alstacs:
Good morning house.
We all know what the economy is saying now. There is no circulation of cash and as a result of this, many plans and hopes hopes are being dashed. The only people who are reigning now are baba Egunmogaji and his friends who earn and spend hard currency. and of course lord Spyder880 and Hajji mufutau55 who manage these resources for them efficiently and effectively. I bow!
For those of us who are labourers locally, we need help!

what is wrong with using used planks for boarding reinforcements and even to deck a floor? The current cost of fresh good planks 1x12x1 can send us back to the villages to go pick hoes and cutlass to raise money before we come back town. At this rate, maybe I will need wait forever struggling to buy iron rods and planks. E don reach like 2 years wey a abandon my foundation oh...
Is it wrong to buy good used planks?

Ibi ayo lati ma ma ba oruko wa grin

I just finished my lintel using previously used wood that the carpenter supplied. That has proven to be the one single biggest mistake of my build. The money saved has now diminished in my eyes and any saving will be used up in extra plastering and chiping to make it work.

Now I know that your question was on decking and mine example was lintel work.

May god continue to bless all of our hustles.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 5:01pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

I like this guy... making me laugh. I hope I am not late into answering this. There is nothing wrong in using used planks for decking.

When I was about to deck my project in December 2015, me and my Builder (Aventures) had to look for way to save money on the decking cost becos I am a poor man. Actually like you, I had to go back to my Grandfather's Cocoa farm in the village with cutlass and hoes to do some work and gather money, but still the money was not enough. So Aventures came out with the idea of renting the woods and bamboo for the decking... we saved over N250k from the cost. The planks and bamboos we used have been used before, we also used plastic laid on the planks to preserve the planks and also to make the deck slab come out good. After our use, the same planks can still be used about five times more.. because they were still in good shape and not bent either. After the deck cured, the carpenter came and removed his planks and bamboos to be reused. The Carpenter owns the wood and he will cut and nail them the better way for him and the project.
I also used recycle planks for the lintels on both ground floor and upper floors... It saved me quite a bit of money.
I believe in idea of recycling and conservation, so reusable of anything possible is what I like. In my previous project, its used once and dispose the planks and bamboos; shared to the residents around the areas for fire wood... this ideas is wasteful. Planks can be recycled.

So go ahead and use good used planks and bamboos for your decking/lintel project... it will save you money.

Note: All the monies in this Forum is controlled by EgunMogaji o, I have nothing to do with it... I am a kobo-kobo project man. smiley

Hajji M.

Nice one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 5:05pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:

Any suggestion as to where I can get this in country?

Where does this get installed? Right after the supply line from the tank?

Buy from ebay. That's where I'm getting mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLAR-HIGH-PRESSURE-WATER-PUMP-LOW-COST-BASIC-KIT-PUMP-PANELS-CABLES-/131433357454?hash=item1e9a09e08e:g:4qMAAOSwZjJU5KtW
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:19pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I just finished my lintel using previously used wood that the carpenter supplied. That has proven to be the one single biggest mistake of my build. The money saved has now diminished in my eyes and any saving will be used up in extra plastering and chiping to make it work.

You must have gotten a bad carpenter who knows that there is no Supervisor around to see the job... he took advantage.
My carpenter have always use used wood on all my lintels and arcs and no problem whatsoever. Sorry about your case.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:25pm On Jul 24, 2016
battleaxe:

Just regular PVC pipes.

Who told you the height of the tank scaffold dont matter grin, since we do not use pressure pump in 9ja the true pressure we get is that given to us via force of gravity,same way ur electric heater will not produce pressure to your shower if not in the proper height.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOLAR-HIGH-PRESSURE-WATER-PUMP-LOW-COST-BASIC-KIT-PUMP-PANELS-CABLES-/131433357454?hash=item1e9a09e08e:g:4qMAAOSwZjJU5KtW
600-700 galons per day, shocked shocked shocked, thats very impressive,Im on this boat too
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Would that not require a constant electricity?
think 9ja factor lol

Small solar cell with a battery will solve this.

You guys need to stop suckling at the nips of NEPA, it's 2016 grin

$129.00

Shipping a 25X25X25 box, regardless of weight, is $50 to Lagos. It will take 2 months, though so planning is essential.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:30pm On Jul 24, 2016
Discussions about doors thread has been opened. We need constructive contributions so that we all can learn.
Doors are one of the most important fixtures of the building and it's also the most overlooked aspects of building.
Please join me in the thread below and contribute to learn.

https://www.nairaland.com/3246443/doors-discussions-doors-qualities-sizes

Thank you.

cc:
@Diordaves
@Anbako
@Alstacs
@Spyder880

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:31pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Small solar cell with a battery will solve this.

You guys need to stop suckling at the nips of NEPA, it's 2016 grin

$129.00
yeh this sounds nice but these do not come with the pump or do they?
the ones upstairs do though.
However if the can power the presure pump then all good
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:33pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

This would not solve that pressure problem though as this will pump water to the tank only.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 24, 2016
KolaShangOne:

Naaa.. It can't be 4inches.
Supply line from the tank is usually 1 inch. While the distribution line to the house is ¾". If you have a pipe bigger than 1" as supply, it may be the source of the problem.

I'm using 1" from EWT to my manifold and then 1/2 to distribute directly to each tap. This should help tremendously with pressure especially with using a manifold.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 5:40pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I'm using 1" from EWT to my manifold and then 1/2 to distribute directly to each tap. This should help tremendously with pressure especially with using a manifold.
you sure the 3/4 wont be in a better place to be used instead of the 1/2 you are proposing?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:40pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

yeh this sounds nice but these do not come with the pump or do they?
the ones upstairs do though.
However if the can power the presure pump then all good

It'll definitely solve the problem of supplying power since that's what raised as an issue.

As far as pump, he needs to match the pump to the application and power source.

Not my cup of tea personally and I feel that folks are not preparing well and are just executing and retrofitting as they go along.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:41pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

Very good find Oga FastShipping. I have bookmarked this to be purchased later. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FreeWorld23: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
FastShipping:

its really cool especially for ppl living in diaspora. Plus shipping to Nigeria will be like 800$ if the weight isn't much. Let's assume its 800$ X 375# (current dollar rate) = 300k shocked e cost o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

you sure the 3/4 wont be in a better place to be used instead of the 1/2 you are proposing?

Not at all.

I'm using a manifold water distribution system with matched lo flow outlets.

Based on my calculations, the outside tap will be the one with a volume issue but I'll let Hassan the gatemen worry about how to get adequate water to wash the vehicles grin

PS: The decision of size wasn't a knee-jerk one but one born out of a decent amount of research grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by 44chux(m): 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Ibi ayo lati ma ma ba oruko wa grin

The planks are of different types. The more expensive hard wood types (around NGN1,500/14ft)can be reused upto 5x while the cheap soft wood types (NGN1,000/14ft) can't coz the elements (sun & rain) destroys them rapidly. In fact I left this type in the open for just 2weeks b4 sheltering them for another 9week only to discover at the end that they were practically useless.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

You must have gotten a bad carpenter who knows that there is no Supervisor around to see the job... he took advantage.
My carpenter have always use used wood on all my lintels and arcs and no problem whatsoever. Sorry about your case.

Hajji M.

There's a Supervisor around and I get 50 pictures a day via WhatsApps.

I'm sure the job is adequate but just not acceptable to my level of detail.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:02pm On Jul 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:

There's a Supervisor around and I get 50 pictures a day via WhatsApps.
I'm sure the job is adequate but just not acceptable to my level of detail.

If the Supervisor was there and not seeing that the wood were not straight to form a good lintel, then he was not doing good supervision.
If you want a better not just adequate, to meet your level of expectation, then tell them to use marine plywood.. smooth as baby A.
That is one thing I like about Spyder... look at all his pillars and lintel, you won't even know there is a granite inside... very smooth outside, I have seen others with lots of hunchback, no attention to details...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ANBAKO: 6:03pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:
The discussion about doors thread has been opened. We need constructive contributions so that we all can learn.
Doors are one of the most important fixtures of the building and it's also the most overlooked aspects of building.
Please join me in the thread below and contribute to learn.

https://www.nairaland.com/3246443/doors-lets-discuss-doors-sizes

Thank you.

cc:
@Diordaves
@Anbako
@Alstacs
@Spyder880

Hajji M.

Thanks Hajji
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

If the Supervisor was there and not seeing that the wood were not straight to form a good lintel, then he was not doing good supervision.
If you want a better not just adequate, to meet your level of expectation, then tell them to use marine plywood..
That is one thing I like about Spyder... look at all his pillars and lintel, you won't even know there is a granite inside... very smooth outside, I have seen others with lots of hunchback, no attention to details...

Hajji M.
ehe, I think when it comes to bends or curve, one should use ply wood, cos you can work them into shapes and forms
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 6:05pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

This would not solve that pressure problem though as this will pump water to the tank only.

First, you want to install a booster pump to supply water to home at a certain pressure. What are the things to consider: you need to know what you would want your end pressure to be, knowing your end pressure would enable you ask yourself if your PVC piping is rated for sure pressure.

As we all know not all PVC piping are rated properly and most of our local plumbers heat the female end of a PVC pipe of the same size to expand it and then insert male end of another PVC pipe with glue instead of using the proper fitting. That is a problem right there because that end or joint can easily fail under pressure.

Now we know about fittings and how some Nigeria product are not usually done to code.

The next issue now is to use a booster pump you will require a constant supply of water to the pump i.e. Your over tank must never I mean never run go dry. Why must your overhead tank never go dry? Because if it does your pump will air lock and also create air gaps in your piping. Air gap in your piping could result to water water hammer within pipe. The negative part to this is that years to come crack will begin to appear at certain joints which will eventually result to failure. Air locking in your pump and line is an easy fix by installing a level control switch in your over head tank.

So my brother it comes down to what is the easiest and cheapest with less headache instead of starting from then beginning it is simply by rising the height of your tank. The tanks simply feed all outlet by gravity. No science to that. And as a brother said increase the pipe diameter from tank which will reduce restriction to the small diameter piping going into the house. At least with this solution you don't have to worry about pipe ratings, strength of the glue your plumber used, the short cuts your pumbler used to keep more money in his pocket and end pressure for various outlets.

But if you still choose to go the route of installing a pressure pump a quick guide to look through for pressure calculation will be 4th class power engineering book. Because this pressure pump work well overseas because they tie in to a city supply main line with constant supply.

thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:06pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

ehe, I think when it comes to bends or curve, one should use ply wood, cos you can work them into shapes and forms

True to that... then the artisan must pour the concrete nicely. Most lintel by Spyder only uses regular wood but look how nicely they come.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

True to that... then the artisan must pour the concrete nicely. Most lintel by Spyder only uses regular wood but look how nicely they come.

Hajji M.
Thats cos he uses one particular tool, the concrete poker aka romance machine, this brings out the Fat yes the FAT to the surface, when this dries its smoonth
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:10pm On Jul 24, 2016
ice4u999:

First, you want to install a booster pump to supply water to home at a certain pressure. What are the things to consider: you need to know what you would want your end pressure to be, knowing your end pressure would enable you ask yourself if your PVC piping is rated for sure pressure.

As we all know not all PVC piping are rated properly and most of our local plumbers heat the female end of a PVC pipe of the same size to expand it and then insert male end of another PVC pipe with glue instead of using the proper fitting. That is a problem right there because that end or joint can easily fail under pressure.

Now we know about fittings and how some Nigeria product are not usually done to code.

The next issue now is to use a booster pump you will require a constant supply of water to the pump i.e. Your over tank must never I mean never run go dry. Why must your overhead tank never go dry? Because if it does your pump will air lock and also create air gaps in your piping. Air gap in your piping could result to water water hammer within pipe. The negative part to this is that years to come crack will begin to appear at certain joints which will eventually result to failure. Air locking in your pump and line is an easy fix by installing a level control switch in your over head tank.

So my brother it comes down to what is the easiest and cheapest with less headache instead of starting from then beginning it is simply by rising the height of your tank. The tanks simply feed all outlet by gravity. No science to that. And as a brother said increase the pipe diameter from tank which will reduce restriction to the small diameter piping going into the house. At least with this solution you don't have to worry about pipe ratings, strength of the glue your plumber used, the short cuts your pumbler used to keep more money in his pocket and end pressure for various outlets.

But if you still choose to go the route of installing a pressure pump a quick guide to look through for pressure calculation will be 4th class power engineering book. Because this pressure pump work well overseas because they tie in to a city supply main line with constant supply.

thanks

That's it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:14pm On Jul 24, 2016
ice4u999:

thanks

Yep I get all that,but in this case the tank has been done cast to the ground by the OP,so I was offering a quick xcape as a suggestion, however the best practice is to get adequate height for your tank not to experience this but height of tanks do have limits
Reason, if you are building a 6 storey building blocks of flats, waht do you do regards water supply?
See why the boaster is necessary.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:17pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Thats cos he uses one particular tool, the concrete poker aka romance machine, this brings out the Fat yes the FAT to the surface, when this dries its smoonth

Every artisan should use the poke on the pillars.... but many don't. You need to see one of my pillar... standing like a dead perforated wood.
But it was corrected during pillar decorations..

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:17pm On Jul 24, 2016
erico2k2:

Every artisan should use the poker on the pillars.... but many don't. You need to see one of my pillar... standing like a dead perforated wood.
But it was corrected during pillar decorations..

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 24, 2016
mufutau55:

If you want a better not just adequate, to meet your level of expectation, then tell them to use marine plywood.. smooth as baby A.

Hajji M.

The woods were straight, well mostly, it's the quality of the wood that bothers me personally. As in not meeting my level of expectation.

Will I do it again? Maybe, but will be more critical.

I do woodwork (mostly finish carpentry) and what I look for might not be possible without using marine boards like Skimanski, et al.

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (3696) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: gabbytabby and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.