Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,878 members, 7,828,123 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (447) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4426399 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (3674) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 9:51am On Aug 01, 2016
New week and a new month.
May we all achieve all our aims and objective for the month of August. AMEN.

Bosun Shoyoye, 10k due this week current balance is 90K.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AZUH: 10:12am On Aug 01, 2016
Mavverick why not text bosun to get your balance than posting it here . This is just money n not anyone's life . Take it easy bro !!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 10:46am On Aug 01, 2016
AZUH:
Mavverick why not text bosun to get your balance than posting it here . This is just money n not anyone's life . Take it easy bro !!

They just won't listen. They have no regard for rules. Nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 11:49am On Aug 01, 2016
diordaves:

Nice our able mathematical engineer.

What's the cost and structural implication for a bungalow with all external walls made of sandcrete blocks and all internal wall made of polystyrene? Is there any significant cost/efficiency savings? Will this accommodate conduit wiring and mechanical pipping? If the walls are not to be rendered, how do you fill the gap/chink between two polystyrene board?

Further if one adopts all internal polystyrene walls, what's will be the lintel method? How do you tie the roof to the structure?

The Structural implication is you will have to have a structural frame for such a house, a frame consisting of columns, beam and pad footings. The frame cam be made of steel, concrete or wood depending on which of the materials is more readily available at a considerable cost.

It save some cost, neater, faster and cost much less in maintained in the long run. It also constitute lesser load on the foundation, making it possible to save some cubic meters of concrete and steel on the foundation. You also have more flexible of functionality with polystyrene internal partitions since you can remove some partitions and repositioned them as you like.

For polystyrene internal partitions Ulloa don't need to do the conventional lintel on most sancrete blocks, the lintel are cut in place in the factory... More like prefabricated houses.

You plumbing and electrical piping work can easily be fixed into the wall without any problem.

House built with polystyrene partitions comes with a structural frames to carries the roof rendering the wall to be non load do bearing partition wals

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:00pm On Aug 01, 2016
@msogunro
My observation from the section of the report posted.
* Your location is within the basement complex of Nigeria i.e bedrock terrain.
* Overburden means formations overlaying the bedrock.
* The more overburden of a porous and permeable formation, the more the likelihood of getting appreciable ground water source. In your report, It is just 6ft (2m) or thereabout and you might still have some layer of laterite or clay which are porous but not permeable.
* If there is no aquifer zone found within the overburden then then next target should be weathered formation or fractured zone within the basement. Do you have any stated in your report? You can confirm from the person that carried out the geophysical survey, if not stated in the report.
* Depth recommended to drill is 240ft - 270ft is much (Stand to be corrected) except there is a fractured zone of interest or the weathered zone depth is much. Note, The deeper you drill the fresher(Harder) the hard rock become.

* Check for history of drilled boreholes and wells around your site.

msogunro:

Happy Sunday to all.

The report is over 20 pages so I can't post it all. The report says there is an overburden depth of 0-2m.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 12:16pm On Aug 01, 2016
vicol:
@msogunro
My observation from the section of the report posted.
* Your location is within the basement complex of Nigeria i.e bedrock terrain.
* Overburden means formations overlaying the bedrock.
* The more overburden of a porous and permeable formation, the more the likelihood of getting appreciable ground water source. In your report, It is just 6ft (2m) or thereabout and you might still have some layer of laterite or clay which are porous but not permeable.
* If there is no aquifer zone found within the overburden then then next target should be weathered formation or fractured zone within the basement. Do you have any stated in your report? You can confirm from the person that carried out the geophysical survey, if not stated in the report.
* Depth recommended to drill is 240ft - 270ft is much (Stand to be corrected) except there is a fractured zone of interest or the weathered zone depth is much. Note, The deeper you drill the fresher(Harder) the hard rock become.

* Check for history of drilled boreholes and wells around your site.

Much respect.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2016
NLresidentQS:
Hello Sirs.

Please help here. A project I'm involved in, an irrigation project somewhere in the North. We have a large fabricated steel tank ( Dia - 11m, height - 6m) is to rest on the ground.

Now we thought we could place them in a ground slab (say 150mm thickness, BRC mesh reinforced) on well compacted Hardcore.

Bit others (professionals too) are arguing that the slab will collapse. If it collapse? Does it mean the tank will sink into the ground?

Ground bearing capacity is over 200

One person was even saying we will need a heavily reinforced slab with downstand beams on pad?

@spyder880
@abdulwastex
@hajji m
@mavverick
@egunm
@all please input is needed.

From a structural point of view I will like to have more information like the location of the soil strata with that bearing capacity you quoted above.

From experience, I know that the soil with such bearing capacity may be located at some depth below the natural ground level.

From a simple can calculation, I estimate that the tank will exact about 60.02KN/square meters, which is quite high.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 12:46pm On Aug 01, 2016
Just the guy you need.
abdulwastecx, with this kind of pressure on the ground, what does it mean in terms of constructing what will carry the tanks.

abdulwastecx:

From a structural point of view I will like to have more information like the location of the soil strata with that bearing capacity you quoted above.

From experience, I know that the soil with such bearing capacity may be located at some depth below the natural ground level.

From a simple can calculation, I estimate that the tank will exact about 60.02KN/square meters, which is quite high.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 1:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
mavverick:
Just the guy you need.
abdulwastecx, with this kind of pressure on the ground, what does it mean in terms of constructing what will carry the tanks.

The solution will depend on the location of the bearing capacity that will be able to carry the water tank.

Assuming the adequate bearing capacity is located at a depth of less than 1m.

Assuming bearing capacity is 200KN/m2 ( as stated by my oga above).
Using a factor of safety of 2.5
We will have =200/2.5 = 80KN/m
Hence, floor loading intensity is less than permissible bearing capacity.

The foundation footprint, area can be 10square meters.

The Platform can be any of the three.

Type one.

Excavate up to 1m below the ground and found the raft foundation/slab to carry the tank but this method may affect your hydrostatic property like the head required.

Type two.

Introduce a frame of 9m columns spaced @ 4m center to center across x - x and y-y axis with three column each across each of the axis. On top of these columns you can have a flat slab design for bending to carry the water tank. Or have a solid slab beam system to carry the tank.

Type three is to excavate all the entire building footprint up to the required depth with the bearing capacity 200. Filled the excavation with hard core of regular sharp upto the surface and then hard a layer of reinforced concrete of a minimum of 200mm thick

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 1:32pm On Aug 01, 2016
vicol:
In your report, It is just 6ft (2m) or thereabout and you might still have some layer of laterite or clay which are porous but not permeable.
* If there is no aquifer zone found within the overburden then then next target should be weathered formation or fractured zone within the basement. Do you have any stated in your report?

Thank you boss. That is a very good, simple explanation. I hope we're all learning.

Is this the section you're referring to?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 1:39pm On Aug 01, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Wow! See calculations. I hail you!!!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 1:57pm On Aug 01, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Wow. Detailed analysis sir.

The location is specifically in Jigawa state

But I used to think the unit weight of steel is 78.5kn/cum. You kind of used 10 to multiply 570.2cum to arrive at 5702kn.

Also sir, I do not understand how you got 60kn/m2.

Please can you expatiate more on the analysis?

Then how do this heavy load translate in the slab design sir?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by karleone(m): 2:03pm On Aug 01, 2016
danowena:

So PVC is dangerous to health? This is news to me. So what of those using PVC ceiling?

cc: abdulwastecx. dominionng, lastpage, mufutau55

Kindly read up on google. Maybe you'll get something better.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NLresidentQS(m): 2:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
abdulwastecx:

The solution will depend on the location of the bearing capacity that will be able to carry the water tank.

Assuming the adequate bearing capacity is located at a depth of less than 1m.

Assuming bearing capacity is 200KN/m2 ( as stated by my oga above).
Using a factor of safety of 2.5
We will have =200/2.5 = 80KN/m
Hence, floor loading intensity is less than permissible bearing capacity.

The foundation footprint, area can be 10square meters.

The Platform can be any of the three.

Type one.

Excavate up to 1m below the ground and found the raft foundation/slab to carry the tank but this method may affect your hydrostatic property like the head required.

Type two.

Introduce a frame of 9m columns spaced @ 4m center to center across x - x and y-y axis with three column each across each of the axis. On top of these columns you can have a flat slab design for bending to carry the water tank. Or have a solid slab beam system to carry the tank.

Type three is to excavate all the entire building footprint up to the required depth with the bearing capacity 200. Filled the excavation with hard core of regular sharp upto the surface and then hard a layer of reinforced concrete of a minimum of 200mm thick

I just saw this sir. Answered one of my questions
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:19pm On Aug 01, 2016
Are these wood good for roofing

ogburugburu or itara?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 2:54pm On Aug 01, 2016
New month.....new goal!

------
We set to fly to d centre of unity to embark on the construction of this terrace building
Guy, its going to be an interesting development.
Trust me!

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 2:56pm On Aug 01, 2016
segcymoor:
New month.....new goal!

------
We set to fly to d centre of unity to embark on the construction of this terrace building
Trust me!

Congrats and good luck boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 2:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
Concept.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:13pm On Aug 01, 2016
twinskenny:

ogburugburu or itara?
All of the above good enough!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:14pm On Aug 01, 2016
twinskenny:

ogburugburu or itara?
'''''''
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 01, 2016
twinskenny:

ogburugburu or itara?

I remember Itara as specifically noted by HSLBroker.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:02pm On Aug 01, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I remember Itara as specifically noted by HSLBroker.
okay sir

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:03pm On Aug 01, 2016
segcymoor:

'''''''
thanks boss
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 4:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
NLresidentQS:

Also sir, I do not understand how you got 60kn/m2.

Please can you expatiate more on the analysis?

Hope this helps

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 4:11pm On Aug 01, 2016
Engineer Agba (Senior Engineer) !

Well done.
The concept looks nice, so this is the L shape that I always hear about. Whats the total area of the plot and how many sqm will the building take ?

segcymoor:
New month.....new goal!

------
Trust me!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 4:24pm On Aug 01, 2016
Plz house and experts in the house. See the quotation I got for wiring 6 flats of 3bedroom ( all ensuite ). I feel this is too much.

Pls.Find Below D Quantity Of Cables Need 4 Main Building Except D Fence. Gate House & Load Cables 2 D Meter Board With Gens, Cables,
< 1>, 72 Nos Of 1,5mm (Nig)
<2>, 60nos Of 2,5mm(nig)
<3>,20nos Of 1,5mm Green
<4>,36nos Of 4mm
<5>,4nos Of 6mm
<6>,4nos Of 10mm
<7>,10nos Of 25mm
<8>,6nos Of Snake Tape
Trspt D Goods 2 D Site .=#35,000.
Labour Charge=#600,000

Cc: diordaves, mufutau55,gabbytabby, allCopacetic, twinskenny

I think the materials quoted here is enuff to start a mini warehouse for wires. angry
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:41pm On Aug 01, 2016
danowena:
Plz house and experts in the house. See the quotation I got for wiring 6 flats of 3bedroom ( all ensuite ). I feel this is too much.

Pls.Find Below D Quantity Of Cables Need 4 Main Building Except D Fence. Gate House & Load Cables 2 D Meter Board With Gens, Cables,
< 1>, 72 Nos Of 1,5mm (Nig)
<2>, 60nos Of 2,5mm(nig)
<3>,20nos Of 1,5mm Green
<4>,36nos Of 4mm
<5>,4nos Of 6mm
<6>,4nos Of 10mm
<7>,10nos Of 25mm
<8>,6nos Of Snake Tape
Trspt D Goods 2 D Site .=#35,000.
Labour Charge=#600,000

Cc: diordaves, mufutau55,gabbytabby, allCopacetic

I think the materials quoted here is enuff to start a mini warehouse for wires. angry

Hehehe na estate grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 4:52pm On Aug 01, 2016
twinskenny:

Hehehe na estate grin
My brother I tire o o
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2016
danowena:

cheesy

1. Go a size down for the earthing ( i.e. earth 2.5 with 1.5, earth 4mm with 2.5mm and so on)

2. Estimate the total lighting and power cables for a flat and multiply by 6

3. Optimally locate your meter points ( d/board is obviously already fixed in location ) to minimize the distance between your meter and D/board , it'll help save on load cables

To estimate the lighting and power cables:
-How many sockets .....per b/ room and living room?
-How many wall lighting points as per above
-Do you intend to have pop ceilings and hence pop lighting?

If the rooms are large, and you intend to have pop lighting, the below is an "approximate" quantity , i don't see it requiring more than the below though.

The load cable is listed already.... That's the 10mm

25mm, is that copper or aluminum for servicing?

***Edit, 2.5mm should be 48 not 32 sorry

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 5:08pm On Aug 01, 2016
allCopacetic:
cheesy

1. Go a size down for the earthing ( i.e. earth 2.5 with 1.5, earth 4mm with 2.5mm and so on)

3. Optimally locate your meter points ( d/board is obviously already fixed in location ) to minimize the distance between your meter and D/board , it'll help save on load cables

If the rooms are large, and you intend to have pop lighting, the below is an "approximate" quantity , i don't see it requiring more than the below though.

What u gave is close to what he gave.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2016
allCopacetic:
cheesy

What u gave is close to what he gave. sad. Na wa o o....that estimate is going close to 3 mil. shocked
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olawale100: 5:15pm On Aug 01, 2016
abdulwastecx:

Volume of tank is 22/7 multiplied by radius squared by height

(1) (2) (3) ... (444) (445) (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) ... (3674) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Donchibyon and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.