Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,163 members, 7,845,826 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (449) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4464733 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) ... (3685) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by preggi(m): 7:41am On Aug 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Yep. It's extremely DIY and you can even knock it out professionally with what Samsung calls SmartApps from the built in Marketplace. As a quick example I use Amazon Echo to interface voice control. I'm not digging out my cellphone to make commands and simply just use voice to tell echo to turn on/off lights (those not on motion sensors), turn on music, etc

It's the same principle between an existing build and a new build with a few differences. For example, I was not going to wire any switches to my wall but the Wife won't have none of that. Having wired switches is no longer necessary so you can save that money on wires and outlets. The bulbs themselves are iOT so you can address them directly. The wall sockets are iOT so they can turn on or off any appliances connected to them so you don't need a switch.

The door and window sensors are battery operated (3 year life) as is the motion sensor, so you totally eliminate all those traditional wirings.

So as you can see we're already saving wirings and sockets if one dares to go that route.

One of the reason that I'm going 120v versus 240v is that there's a larger market of 120v accessories versus 240v to me.

Let me know if you have additional specific questions.

Note: A big issue, because it is the internet of things, these requires full time internet connection. If you don't have full time internet then some things will not work but controls for some stuff will still continue to work. For example, you can still turn lights on and off but of course if theres a fire it won't alert you via cellular.

I am hoping that Nigeria will be well advance in the next few years as far as unlimited data is concerned.
Chief, thank you for taking time out to explain this concept. I will have to surf amazon.com to see if the products can be shipped internationally.

Big thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:14am On Aug 02, 2016
Inground Hydraulic Parking in Nigeria?

Is this possible? Some will argue "No" and I will say "Yes"

Pics and video later on this thread.

1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Uberness: 8:20am On Aug 02, 2016
n3xt:

Internet users will always complain like PHCN customers because most ISPs don't have a reliable support service and do not have experienced WIMAX engineers. All they want is to recoup their investment even if it means "no value" to their end users. Some times, the basic modem/router supplied to end users may not be enough to deliver right service to user but what they do is to just sign ion people without considering how they'll be served.
One easy way to get it right is to let them know you want dedicated Internet and sign a 99.9% Service Level Agreement with them.

Some will argue "Can this happen in Nigeria?" And I'll say "Yes, it is possible" but at extra cost.
It is very interesting to know that unlimited data + 24/7 Internet can be possible in our Nigeria .
I genuinely wish to have first hand reviews from anybody that is enjoying the "privilege"
In Engineering, you have to consider cost. Is the price over the top? Is it Reasonably Practicable?
Can you please give a more detailed suggestion as per ISPs. I'm sure many would be interested. Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 8:45am On Aug 02, 2016
Uberness:

It is very interesting to know that unlimited data + 24/7 Internet can be possible in our Nigeria .
I genuinely wish to have first hand reviews from anybody that is enjoying the "privilege"
In Engineering, you have to consider cost. Is the price over the top? Is it Reasonably Practicable?
Can you please give a more detailed suggestion as per ISPs. I'm sure many would be interested. Thanks

All ISPs in Nigeria should be able to give you dedicated Internet data service but the delivery channel is always the problem.
Interference from uncontrolled frequencies (all thanks to sleeping NCC), inexperienced NOC/Field Support engineers, zero consumer protection (No Value Business), rogue Access Points, type of receiver, data capping/bandwidth throttling, shared plans and many more are the reasons for slow speed.
NEPA sef join as reliable networks will run mainly on Generating set or solar backup and not PHCN to maintain at least 85.9% uptime (I'm not even sure we have many ISPs that can guarantee that time).

How many of us monitor speeds, uptime and downtimes of our internet service providers? How many of us sign SLA agreement with our ISPs?

For corporate organizations, there might be need to setup dedicated Point-to-Point or Point-to-MultiPoint Networks (up to 50km radius or more on clean frequencies) for reliable services. Some residential estates do this also for guaranteed uptime.

Cost is a one-time setup and is almost negligible when you look at it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 11:03am On Aug 02, 2016
diordaves:

Electrical works could be very tricky. It is not just all about the length or rolls of the cables. The pipping work plays a significant roll as well and the design, position and quantity of points or outlets: How many plugs per room, living room and dinning, fan points, security lights or not, side lamps at every wall etc will add up to the quantity of cable used.

Below is my outlay for a six flats. Mind you, my project is mix-mode: 2 units of three bedroom flats, 2 units of two bedroom flats and 2 units of one bedroom flat. Two toilets each in both the 3 and 2 bedroom flats and one toilet each for the one bedroom. Mind you, if you have all ensuit, you will consume more cable.

My outlay includes Generator point for all flats, A/C point for all rooms and living room and two points for water pumping machine:

QT................................Cutix Cable..................................................................Unit Amount.................................Sub Total

25 Rolls of 1.5mm-15 Red, 10 Black N5,500= N138,750

38 Rolls of 2.5mm - 14 Red, 14 Black, 10 Yellow N9,350= N355,300

1 Roll of 6mm N21,800= N21,800

2 Rolls of 10mm - 1 Red, 1 Black N36,000= N72,000

3 Rolls of TV Cable N3,500= N10,500

Workmanship 250,000

GRAND TOTAL N848,350

Can you do sometime about your labour cost? 600k? But be mindful of over bargain to rock bottom price as you may encourage the eletrician to cut corners to make up. There is a fine line between fair price and slave price. I hope this helps.

The pix below are not Cutix products but Wickes UK.

You are the bomb! Thanks..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 11:09am On Aug 02, 2016
allCopacetic:

1.5mm- 92 vs 60
2.5mm- 60 vs 48
4mm- 36 vs 13

That's about half a million diff , and it's a worst case scenario. Everything ultimately depends on your piping network and the size of your rooms . You could even "manage" 4mm for the cooker

Thanks for your help. It was very detailed. I appreciate. However, the 1.5mm is 72 and not 92. As little as one might think it is, it is actually a very huge saving in cash. Do you know how many blocks I can buy with that amount?

But I thought we were always advised to use Nigeria wire as they are the best and can accommodate our unique electricity fluctuations.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 11:12am On Aug 02, 2016
lastpage:

I guess he made a misake or mistook PVC for something else.

As long as you dont set it on fire (the fumes are very toxic), you are good to go with PVC.

Asbestos is what l know to be dangerous.

I thought same. Thanks.

Lastpage!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 11:45am On Aug 02, 2016
danowena:

Thanks for your help. It was very detailed. I appreciate. However, the 1.5mm is 72 and not 92. As little as one might think it is, it is actually a very huge saving in cash. Do you know how many blocks I can buy with that amount?
Look closely
Its 72 + 20
The 20 coils of 1.5mm green are listed separately (numb 3)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 1:25pm On Aug 02, 2016
allCopacetic:

Look closely
Its 72 + 20

you are right sir. My bad.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 1:27pm On Aug 02, 2016
allCopacetic:

Look closely
Its 72 + 20

The 1.5mm green cable might be earth cable for the 2.5mm.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by danowena: 1:53pm On Aug 02, 2016
topsy23:

The 1.5mm green cable might be earth cable for the 2.5mm.

Yep, thank you sir.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 2:38pm On Aug 02, 2016
@ agarawu23, who are we supporting for the Nairaland Men's contest.

N50k is a very juicy prize money o shocked

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:26pm On Aug 02, 2016
Another fire with burglary involved.

https://www.nairaland.com/3263973/2-children-die-house-fire

Smoke detectors are a must.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:35pm On Aug 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

I remember Itara as specifically noted by HSLBroker.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Uberness: 4:24pm On Aug 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Another fire with burglary involved.

https://www.nairaland.com/3263973/2-children-die-house-fire

Smoke detectors are a must.
Concur Sir!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumz1: 4:40pm On Aug 02, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lafolabi(m): 6:11pm On Aug 02, 2016
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:20pm On Aug 02, 2016
lafolabi:
https://www.nairaland.com/2986521/construction-ofsemi-detached-twin-duplex-restructuring

Oga Lafolabi... long time. Where have you been? Business I guess.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:46pm On Aug 02, 2016
n3xt:
@ agarawu23, who are we supporting for the Nairaland Men's contest.
N50k is a very juicy prize money o shocked

All these time...

We are Voting Fynestboi
cc NLjega

Yes! Sometimes I get involved, only when I am respectably called.
Not be only small pikins dey get excited o. smiley

Hajji M.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 02, 2016
mufutau55:

All these time...

We are Voting Fynestboi
cc NLjega

Yes! Sometimes I get involved, only when I am respectably called.
Not be only small pikins dey get excited o. smiley

Hajji M.

The rules people, the rules....

"Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread."

Na joke I dey joke o grin cheesy grin

Ajoji okin ba onile dule, after all.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:06pm On Aug 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

The rules people, the rules....

"Off-Topic Thread - To Discuss Anything and Everything that doesn't fit into an individual thread."

Na joke I dey joke o grin cheesy grin

Ajoji okin ba onile dule, after all.

Se this man no go kill persin so? Plenty laugh o.

Hajji M.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolaa007(m): 7:07pm On Aug 02, 2016
When buying or having a home built, it is important to take windows into consideration.
Windows provide our homes with light, warmth, and ventilation, but they can also negatively impact a home’s energy efficiency.Good windows will bring out the beauty of your home and likewise a bad window will make your house very ugly.People taking pride in the appearance of their home goes back as long as we can remember. In many ways, our home becomes an extension of who we are. Doors and, in particular, your Windows, are the first thing family and friends see when they pay you a visit and that first impression is incredibly hard to shift.

Why you should Choose pvc Windows

1. pvc windows are the Number One in energy efficiency
The frame of a window plays a decisive role in promoting energy and cost-efficient thermal insulation. window profiles made of pvc score top marks when compared with aluminium or wooden windows. They have better insulation values and are able to reduce energy and heating costs. There is a particularly high energy saving potential when using pvc window frames in the passive house standard. Today, passive house windows can be manufactured efficiently and cost-effectively using state-of-the-art pvc profiles and the now quite common triple glazing.

2. pvc windows have a very good cost-benefit ratio
pvc windows offer clear-cut cost advantages, both in procurement and throughout the entire life cycle. Timber frames are approximately 20-30 % more expensive than pvc profiles, and aluminium windows cost 30 % more again representing the most expensive alternative. Based on the high energy-saving potential and minimal maintenance throughout the entire service life of more than 50 years, costs are also saved in the long-term.

3. pvc windows are easy to care for
High quality pvc windows are extremely easy to care for and require minimal maintenance. Wooden windows, on the other hand, have to be glazed just about every two years and painted every 5 years. State-of-the-art pvc granule is extremely resistant to weather conditions and light-fast. To clean the window frames all you need is dishwashing liquid due to the easy-care properties of the smooth profile surfaces. You will find more information on the care of pvc windows on our Info Page Tips on caring for pvc windows.

4. pvc windows are remarkably durable
As opposed to windows made of wood pvc windows have a particularly long service life. High
quality windows stand out with their distortion resistance and high level of functionality for years and years. Based on their long service live of at least 50 years pvc windows are an excellent investment, also with regard to maintaining a property’s value.

5. pvc windows boast an excellent eco balance
pvc windows are 100 % recyclable and therefore resource-saving. 40 % of all gas and oil reserves in the world are used for heating and for supplying energy to buildings, whereas just 4 % go into the production of plastics of which just 1 % are used for pvc. Besides being recyclable, the durability and low levels of pollution during the production of pvc profiles help produce an excellent eco-balance and contribute towards protection of the environment. pvc windows last much longer than wooden windows and consume substantially less energy during the manufacturing process.

Contact us at FKJ Ventures

19b Bola Ajibola street off Allen Avenue Ikeja Lagos

07038937391 (Mr Folorunsho Kolawole)

Kolaa007@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 7:23pm On Aug 02, 2016
Mr Kola007, can you open your bible and read the Book of John 4:48 (Unless people see they won't believe)

So post pics next time!

I'm sure this is not the first time your attention has been called to this.

Which brand of PVC are you promoting? And what is it made off? Is it wood like the Chinese brand or galvanized steel like the Turkish brand?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 7:27pm On Aug 02, 2016
n3xt:
Mr Kola007, can you open your bible and read the Book of John 4:48 (Unless people see they won't believe)
So post pics next time!
I'm sure this is not the first time your attention is been called to this.
Which brand of PVC are you promoting? And what is it made off? Is it wood like the Chinese brand or galvanized steel like the Turkish brand?

The guy just post and disappeared. You won't see any other post from him... I tire for the moderating here o...

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 8:06pm On Aug 02, 2016
kolaa007:
When buying or having a home built, it is important to take windows into consideration.
Windows provide our homes with light, warmth, and ventilation, but they can also negatively impact a home’s energy efficiency.Good windows will bring out the beauty of your home and likewise a bad window will make your house very ugly.People taking pride in the appearance of their home goes back as long as we can remember. In many ways, our home becomes an extension of who we are. Doors and, in particular, your Windows, are the first thing family and friends see when they pay you a visit and that first impression is incredibly hard to shift.

Why you should Choose pvc Windows

1. pvc windows are the Number One in energy efficiency
The frame of a window plays a decisive role in promoting energy and cost-efficient thermal insulation. window profiles made of pvc score top marks when compared with aluminium or wooden windows. They have better insulation values and are able to reduce energy and heating costs. There is a particularly high energy saving potential when using pvc window frames in the passive house standard. Today, passive house windows can be manufactured efficiently and cost-effectively using state-of-the-art pvc profiles and the now quite common triple glazing.

2. pvc windows have a very good cost-benefit ratio
pvc windows offer clear-cut cost advantages, both in procurement and throughout the entire life cycle. Timber frames are approximately 20-30 % more expensive than pvc profiles, and aluminium windows cost 30 % more again representing the most expensive alternative. Based on the high energy-saving potential and minimal maintenance throughout the entire service life of more than 50 years, costs are also saved in the long-term.

3. pvc windows are easy to care for
High quality pvc windows are extremely easy to care for and require minimal maintenance. Wooden windows, on the other hand, have to be glazed just about every two years and painted every 5 years. State-of-the-art pvc granule is extremely resistant to weather conditions and light-fast. To clean the window frames all you need is dishwashing liquid due to the easy-care properties of the smooth profile surfaces. You will find more information on the care of pvc windows on our Info Page Tips on caring for pvc windows.

4. pvc windows are remarkably durable
As opposed to windows made of wood pvc windows have a particularly long service life. High
quality windows stand out with their distortion resistance and high level of functionality for years and years. Based on their long service live of at least 50 years pvc windows are an excellent investment, also with regard to maintaining a property’s value.

5. pvc windows boast an excellent eco balance
pvc windows are 100 % recyclable and therefore resource-saving. 40 % of all gas and oil reserves in the world are used for heating and for supplying energy to buildings, whereas just 4 % go into the production of plastics of which just 1 % are used for pvc. Besides being recyclable, the durability and low levels of pollution during the production of pvc profiles help produce an excellent eco-balance and contribute towards protection of the environment. pvc windows last much longer than wooden windows and consume substantially less energy during the manufacturing process.

Contact us at FKJ Ventures

19b Bola Ajibola street off Allen Avenue Ikeja Lagos

07038937391 (Mr Folorunsho Kolawole)

Kolaa007@yahoo.com

You are saying all this because you sell pvc profiles, not because you want to educate us on the pros and cons of the two. This is not right. Give a more comprehensive lesson next time we are learning here not buying and selling

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 02, 2016
mufutau55:

The guy just post and disappeared. You won't see any other post from him... I tire for the moderating here o...

Hajji M.

My hotel is feets away from his shop. I'll go in there one day and forcibly take pictures and interview him myself grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:18pm On Aug 02, 2016
EgunMogaji:

My hotel is feets away from his shop. I'll go in there one day and forcibly take pictures and interview him myself grin

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 10:15pm On Aug 02, 2016
I would use a formula to arrive at the number per flat and then buy half for the lower flats then adjust as necessary for the upper flats.

Per flat would be
7 of 1.5mm
5 of 2.5mm
1 of 4mm
1 of 6mm

For the green I would have about 2 of 1.5mm per flat and then about 1 of 4mm per flat.
Generally for all flats we will have 2 of 10mm and then 3 of 16mm aluminium. Note all the others are copper wires.

The 25mm the longest I have ever had to buy is 33meters.

Alternatively if you want to avoid going up and down then buy about half of his quote and issue as needed.

They have always used more 1.5mm than 2.5mm.

You have to supervise.

Labour charges my ceiling is 30 for 1bed, 40k for 2beds and 50k for 3bed. Note the use of the word ceiling and more applicable to high end installation with AC, TV points in all rooms and parlor, maybe water heater, generator points and significant double sockets 3 in rooms and kitchen 4 in living room.

danowena:
Plz house and experts in the house. See the quotation I got for wiring 6 flats of 3bedroom ( all ensuite ). I feel this is too much.

Pls.Find Below D Quantity Of Cables Need 4 Main Building Except D Fence. Gate House & Load Cables 2 D Meter Board With Gens, Cables,
< 1>, 72 Nos Of 1,5mm (Nig)
<2>, 60nos Of 2,5mm(nig)
<3>,20nos Of 1,5mm Green
<4>,36nos Of 4mm
<5>,4nos Of 6mm
<6>,4nos Of 10mm
<7>,10nos Of 25mm
<8>,6nos Of Snake Tape
Trspt D Goods 2 D Site .=#35,000.
Labour Charge=#600,000

Cc: diordaves, mufutau55,gabbytabby, allCopacetic, twinskenny

I think the materials quoted here is enuff to start a mini warehouse for wires. angry

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:49am On Aug 03, 2016
Unverified, if true then a slight disaster in the making angry

https://www.nairaland.com/3264776/money-transfer-service-nigeria-suspended

Only three companies – Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria - will be able to continue operations, following an extreme and unexpected move by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/3265066/cbn-blocks-money-transfers-into
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by msogunro: 4:12am On Aug 03, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Unverified, if true then a slight disaster in the making angry

https://www.nairaland.com/3264776/money-transfer-service-nigeria-suspended

Only three companies – Western Union, MoneyGram and Ria - will be able to continue operations, following an extreme and unexpected move by the Central Bank of Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/3265066/cbn-blocks-money-transfers-into

It all makes sense now. I received no reply when I made multiple requests for the rate from the agency I always use to transfer. Dang!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by n3xt(m): 6:08am On Aug 03, 2016
msogunro:

It all makes sense now. I received no reply when I made multiple requests for the rate from the agency I always use to transfer. Dang!

I think a big portion of the population has been left behind and no one cares if that portion is in a depression so far the master and his 12 disciples are living luxuriously.

In buharionomics

You poors go live over there --->

<--- elite this way please.

Can someone tell me "Has rapture occurred already? cos it seems the 95% have already received their judgement. This is no "policy error"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (446) (447) (448) (449) (450) (451) (452) ... (3685) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: deharbay, stnkembu(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.