Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,272 members, 7,860,635 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 01:33 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (648) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4499517 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) ... (3693) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumz1: 4:34pm On Mar 20, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Wow. Are you doing an iron roof for your building?

It's Anti-sag rod for brace and Z purlin..

Yes, I'm building a factory. I was contemplating on using a wooden roof or Iron, but I've made up my mind to go for Iron.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 5:18pm On Mar 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I'll find out in due time.

Most of these doors manufactured in Canada require special care for rust and dents. Little dent or marks could result to surface corrosion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:32pm On Mar 20, 2017
lorhema:
Good morning all. I hope I'm not derailing the thread. I need help. I'm about to buy land in Ibadan but live in Plateau State and have mobility issues. I need a good lawyer to do the necessary verification, and a registered surveyor. I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

I cannot recommend my lawyer in good faith but can recommend my surveyor.

Forward your details to me, if you care, and I'll send to him.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 5:38pm On Mar 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I cannot recommend my lawyer in good faith but can recommend my surveyor.
Forward your details to me, if you care, and I'll send to him.

But both the Lawyer and the Surveyor have been very useful to me. Time will tell. Thank you very much Oga mi.
Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:40pm On Mar 20, 2017
mufutau55:

But both the Lawyer and the Surveyor have been very useful to me. Time will tell. Thank you very much Oga mi.
Hajji M.

Maybe I have unique opportunities.

I will still use the lawyer personally but I cant wholeheartedly recommend him as at now.

Also, i may not necessarily recommend someone to others that I might recommend to you.

I consider you worldly so you can identify, withstand and repel any acts of deception.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:07pm On Mar 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Maybe I have unique opportunities.

I will still use the lawyer personally but I cant wholeheartedly recommend him as at now.

Also, i may not necessarily recommend someone to others that I might recommend to you.

I consider you worldly so you can identify, withstand and repel any acts of deception.

Thank you sir. You are a very wise and observant man.
Appreciated the contact though.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lorhema(f): 8:49pm On Mar 20, 2017
@ KolaShangOne and @mufutau55, thank you. I'll sleep on it and take action. I'm unable to travel so I have to send a representative. I like to monitor what goes on so I'm not had by my rep. Thank you again and I'll be in touch.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 8:59pm On Mar 20, 2017
mavverick:
Thank you Bros for this.
How about as you said on top of a carport for all the panels, then have a room next to security house to store gadgets or does it have to be in the main house, i was thinking it should be close to the panels.

Also can this solution work if one is not around to charge/drain the battery all the time, so lets assume 8 weeks use in one year. I have a feeling when batteries are not used, they degrade. I could be wrong here. If i also have a large panel say covering 200sqm, does that mean i can generate more energy ?

For safety reasons because of the fumes that tend to evaporate from batteries, I will personally will prefer to have battery room away from main house but if those gentle boys visits then it becomes an easy access for them to disconnect power. As long as your battery room on the main house is properly vented ( preferably mechanical ventilation), that should take care of the battery discharge.

Again the closer your batteries are to panel from my personal view the better because less current is lost because of the distance which is another way to maximize your energy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:53pm On Mar 20, 2017
mufutau55:

I am sure Oga Chekitaut will surely let us know.
Hajji M.
I am awear of N500 deduction... Lets still hope.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumz1: 10:02pm On Mar 20, 2017
erico2k2:

You can but the wood matter is the koko,I got a whole 40ft container of home wares from china for the Mrs and have just 10 tv stand unit made of wood inside, the customs gave us head ache, took nearly 2 months to clear.My advice if it involve wood, plz go to lagos, there are people there making doors better than the ones in the, also in Benin city.

Thanks for your response. I think I'll just back off, I can't deal with the customs wahala.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumz1: 10:07pm On Mar 20, 2017
erico2k2:

8 doors £5? are you sure these are strong doors? plz check the grade.
I bet you my left knot something is not right there.

They are in pristine condition, sometimes it's costlier to dispose off during renovation work so they give them away free.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:47am On Mar 21, 2017
Chekitaut:

Thanks. But when is it coming?

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 3:57am On Mar 21, 2017
mavverick:
You read my mind, i see them a lot for sale and if one has a eye for a bargain, not too expensive. IF I can compliment this with Nepa, and also have something that will also be charging my solar battery when NEPA is working (if such exists), then that would be the ideal situation. I am also considering that solar panel for my house, but only if it can be hidden from view.

I thought about that too. But i dont think there is a way around it. It needs sun isn't?

@ Hajj mufutau55, how did you and spyder880 achieve drone view?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Empiree: 4:00am On Mar 21, 2017
mavverick:
yeh, hide from view.
if u got a hip roof, then its almost impossible to hide from view, but the beauty with nija is that no regulations on how roof needs to look like, so u can design in such a way that maybe have a roof gully that dips, there u put your panels. You know nija, before u know am now people go describe ur house as that house wey get black thing for roof, and those kind of descriptions stick with thieves.

grin grin grin grin grin I knew that was your scare cheesy grin cheesy grin. You become a prime target. Thieves no go look twice before you are identified cool
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:32am On Mar 21, 2017
mavverick:
yeh, hide from view.
if u got a hip roof, then its almost impossible to hide from view, but the beauty with nija is that no regulations on how roof needs to look like, so u can design in such a way that maybe have a roof gully that dips, there u put your panels. You know nija, before u know am now people go describe ur house as that house wey get black thing for roof, and those kind of descriptions stick with thieves.

That's one of the things that drew me to my floorplan.

I can hide my panels easily from prying eyes, and I can frolick outside while still being inside.

Shout out to me Architect, Darenyx @ https://www.nairaland.com/darenyx, I recommend him without any hesitation.

I know Oga KolaShangOne doesn't favor black roof but it helps blend in solar electric panels and solar water heaters. There really is a method to EgunMogajis madness grin

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 8:13am On Mar 21, 2017
Just making an analogy to stress that instead of three in wahala prone areas, build one in high end area to minimise stressful relationships with tennants.
Upper market surely is a relative term. Upper market in Maiduguri say there GRA wey you fit get land for N1m can't be same with Lagos where land in parts of Ikeja GRA goes for more than N400m.
mavverick:
Good points noted here.
where can one build high class property for upper class tenants for 50m, in some places land alone is 50m. I guess it depends on your definition of upper market ?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 9:58am On Mar 21, 2017
tnx pls let us knw when it comes
Chekitaut:
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 10:00am On Mar 21, 2017
pls House i need ur help planning on moulding blocks during 2nd week of may bt people are advising me not to cause of the rains in port harcourt bt i reali want to mould den so i dont gulp up the little money ve saved. please how do i go about moulding during this said period. ur advice wud b very much appreciated. Tnx
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:05am On Mar 21, 2017
I see where you are coming from, its same with Gen though, you cant have it inside the house because of carbon monoxide poisoning, a separate room with a gate should suffice.

Also thinking some kind of room upstairs closer to the roof with adequate ventilation, almost like a room next to a roof terrace.

ice4u999:

For safety reasons because of the fumes that tend to evaporate from batteries, I will personally will prefer to have battery room away from main house but if those gentle boys visits then it becomes an easy access for them to disconnect power. As long as your battery room on the main house is properly vented ( preferably mechanical ventilation), that should take care of the battery discharge.

Again the closer your batteries are to panel from my personal view the better because less current is lost because of the distance which is another way to maximize your energy.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:07am On Mar 21, 2017
See Egun roof designs at the top of this post, something like that should hide it and yet be under the sun.

Empiree:
I thought about that too. But i dont think there is a way around it. It needs sun isn't?

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:09am On Mar 21, 2017
Baba Empiree
Wetin man go do na, when you are in Rome, you behave like a Roman. Care needs to be taken and one needs to caution himself.

Empiree:
grin grin grin grin grin I knew that was your scare cheesy grin cheesy grin. You become a prime target. Thieves no go look twice before you are identified cool

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:32am On Mar 21, 2017
Empiree:

Oga mi. I no get solar yet o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 11:43am On Mar 21, 2017
pls House i need ur help planning on moulding blocks during 2nd week of may bt people are advising me not to cause of the rains in port harcourt bt i reali want to mould den so i dont gulp up the little money ve saved. please how do i go about moulding during this said period. ur advice wud b very much appreciated. Tnx
mufutau55:

Oga mi. I no get solar yet o.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 11:58am On Mar 21, 2017
Why is a bag of 50kg Dangote cement being advertised on sites like https:///165-cement from about N900, when it retails outside for up to N2700 per bag. Is this a scam!!! I am confused.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:59am On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:
Why is a bag of 50kg Dangote cement being advertised on sites like https:///165-cement from about N900, when it retails outside for up to N2700 per bag. Is this a scam!!! I am confused.

Not going to click on that shady link but yes scambut you knew that already wink
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 12:04pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not going to click on that shady link but yes scambut you knew that already wink

No, the site is actually jiji. I am just curious because there are a few of them advertising for about N900 on the site, in the midst of others advertising it for between N2350 - N2650
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

No, the site is actually jiji

Still not going to click it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 12:10pm On Mar 21, 2017
I see where you are coming from, and somewhat agree with you. But high end tenant does not always mean stress free tenant o.
I have had tenants complain to me because light no dey for one phase, what the h*** does that have to do with me, and when did I start controlling NEPA ?

Mayor78:
Just making an analogy to stress that instead of three in wahala prone areas, build one in high end area to minimise stressful relationships with tennants.
Upper market surely is a relative term. Upper market in Maiduguri say there GRA wey you fit get land for N1m can't be same with Lagos where land in parts of Ikeja GRA goes for more than N400m.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 12:13pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Still not going to click it.

Okay, on a different topic. I have got to the stage of installing windows to my building. The number of windows is 56!!! As I am planning on going for casement windows with inbuilt burglary proof and mosquito netting/screen, this will cost me a few bob! So I am looking at reducing the number of windows. The draughtsman that drew the plan for me drew windows for the small stores (one store per flat; block of 4 flats), so that's 4 store windows I could potentially get rid off, as I do not see the reason for a window in a small store in a flat? Or an I wrong, is it definitely needed?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:22pm On Mar 21, 2017
rabcnesbit:

Okay, on a different topic. I have got to the stage of installing windows to my building. The number of windows is 56!!! As I am planning on going for casement windows with inbuilt burglary proof and mosquito netting/screen, this will cost me a few bob! So I am looking at reducing the number of windows. The draughtsman that drew the plan for me drew windows for the small stores (one store per flat; block of 4 flats), so that's 4 store windows I could potentially get rid off, as I do not see the reason for a window in a small store in a flat? Or an I wrong, is it definitely needed?

4 small windows equals maybe 50k, not an outstanding savings imho.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rabcnesbit: 12:33pm On Mar 21, 2017
EgunMogaji:

4 small windows equals maybe 50k, not an outstanding savings imho.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Blocking up the 4 window spaces though should not cost more than 10k I reckon, so still saving myself about 40k. My question really is that is a window actually necessary for a small store in a flat?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 1:12pm On Mar 21, 2017
Its kinda up to you TBH, I only got a store in one of my flats and there is no window I dont think. Although the kitchen has a window. Worse case, put sliding there. Usually cheaper.

The only consideration is where food like yam gets spoilt due to ventilation, but TBH its the least thing to be worrying about.
If you have not plastered, it should not cost an awful lot to block up windows, just put blocks and level up, can be up to that 10K if the rest have been plastered and its upstairs work.
rabcnesbit:

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Blocking up the 4 window spaces though should not cost more than 10k I reckon, so still saving myself about 40k. My question really is that is a window actually necessary for a small store in a flat?

(1) (2) (3) ... (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) (651) ... (3693) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: baaliyah(m), Akerewe(m), sekzy99(m), Olaide1295, diordaves(m), Loneangel, RockOfAgesAlumi(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.