Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,189 members, 7,835,952 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (647) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4443994 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) ... (3679) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:18am On Mar 20, 2017
Qc1:

Thanks.

You're welcome brother. All for one, one for all.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Mayor78: 2:29am On Mar 20, 2017
@Egunmogaji you asked 'weekly ke' to my earlier point that oyibo pay wages weekly. O'course weekly. It may not be so in US but it is very common here in Europe to be paid weekly, forthnightly, rarely monthly.

In general to the point of renting solution, it would be fair for landlord/ladies to collect their rents monthly through compulsory standing order at onset with option of biannual or annual pay whichever suits the tenant especially for those that let at lower market space.
The cost of non payment far outways the loss from enabling tenant to live free for years in your house while you pursue case at court. Our courts na wahala.
Again if tenant has problem with invading privacy or space with incessant monthly rent reminders, the tennant have been provided an option already (biannual, or annual). Nigeria tenants cant be scratched with small knives. If you give space, they will always come with story.
It makes more sense to me to build one letting property at the cost of N50m targetting upper market tennants than spend N20m each on 3 seperate properties targetting Bob's and Jane's especially if I am not on ground to manage these properties myself. Stress free investment should be the target.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 2:50am On Mar 20, 2017
twinskenny:

i dont think metal door is good for internal finish... nice wooden door will be nice.

Those Chinese/Turkey steel doors (like the one Egunmogaji used), Yes. Not those iron metal doors being used for extrrnal.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:24am On Mar 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Speaking about roofs..
https://www.nairaland.com/3691958/wind-renders-lagos-family-homeless#54752366 <<<---DO NOT click on the link.
WARNING: There's a rather grotesque picture on that thread. You have been warned. Remember, what has been seen cannot be unseen. grin

Wonder what they used to roof that house o....
Comm'on now... just a pic of hairy lady... I think she is on Nairaland here... I have seen that pic before not so horrible.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:35am On Mar 20, 2017
Qc1:

I need like 4 of those right away, please hook a brother up. Thanks.

Available at Odunade, Coker Orile market. I have more pictures taken by my brother about a month ago of other wooden doors from same shop if you want it posted.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 3:46am On Mar 20, 2017
NL1960:

You think @diordaves that brought up this issue is not aware of this or what?. There are times you have to face realities and unilaterally 'adjust' your own position. I gave an example of a 600k 1 year rent that was refused by an agent because the contract or agreement said 1m for 1 year only for the Landlord to send him back to go and collect it. You think the Landlord does not know about laws of contract. A contract of one year rent is signed and somebody gives you an immediate 6 months and agrees to spread the remaining 6 months over two payments and you refuse. You are very right. He has breached a contract. You give him 6 months quit notice and he leaves. Before he leaves, he intentionally destroys things in the apartment. You then go and take a loan to renovate it so as to rent it to another tenant. A desperate person enters and after one year, the cycle continues. You need to go and ask Landlords what they are facing. Some tenants will tell you to go to court and prove your contract is a contract there.

It is strange that alot of tenants think they are at liberty to run-away with house rent, by just packing out when the landlord is not aware?
I have seen a landlord who went to an escapee Tenants place of work to demand for his rent, after the tenant ran away with over one years rent (just before the court could make a pronunciation on their court case, which is what most do), he created so much scene that the company had o arrange some quick loan for the tenant` and they will deduct such from his pay, installmentally.

Whether matter is in court or not, the law requires you continue to pay your rent.
Quit-notice period is not free-rent period, under the law, unlike what most tenants think and want to practice.

If you destroy a landlords fitting in the house you rent, when moving out, he can get you arrested and prosecuted because wilful damage is a criminal offence under the law.

Landlords need to tighten their signed contract and make sure everything is 'properly worded' to give them liberty to operate, this is best done when the tenant is looking to rent the house. the input of a 'trusted' Lawyer is very necessary at the renting stage
As long as it is not against the law (void), the law recognises and will enforce an agreement entered into by two adult parties.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by FastShipping: 4:12am On Mar 20, 2017
erico2k2:

Seriously someone did a window without Lintel, in this Y2k dispensation angry angry
IDONBELIVIT shocked shocked shocked shocked

You better believe it. grin

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:18am On Mar 20, 2017
mufutau55:

Wonder what they used to roof that house o....
Comm'on now... just a pic of hairy lady... I think she is on Nairaland here... I have seen that pic before not so horrible.

Hajji M.

I was trying to be dramatic grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ice4u999(m): 4:59am On Mar 20, 2017
abunafiu:

My instateanous power at all times is 500w average.
I also pump (0.5hp) for 2hrs average daily bcoz of neighbors water needs.
When the sun is extra bright and batteries are full, I use my 1000w hot plate to cook lunch at home.
I don't use AC. even though I own a unit of 1hp which drains my battery in 7hrs approx.

My total PV strength is 4000w. Battery is 48v450ah Trojan T105RE. I use a classic 150 mppt controller for efficient charge management. State of the art surge protection devices are also in place to reduce the probability of stories that touch the heart.

I have not been a PHCN subscriber for over a year now.
I bought my batteries in June 2014. Experienced some ups and downs too. But it worth it mehn.

Learn more at
https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta

It is worth it for sure but I don't know how you do it though, I personally can't sleep or sit in my house in Nigeria without an air conditioner ON. That Lagos heat Na superhero. Anyway I am currently working on shipping some panels to Nigeria, not cheap but slow and steady will get me to my total required wattage
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by yak(m): 6:16am On Mar 20, 2017
KolaShangOne:

Buy it. It will contain it.
thanks man
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by lorhema(f): 8:29am On Mar 20, 2017
Good morning all. I hope I'm not derailing the thread. I need help. I'm about to buy land in Ibadan but live in Plateau State and have mobility issues. I need a good lawyer to do the necessary verification, and a registered surveyor. I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by ELShehzad: 9:21am On Mar 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

It comes with all accessories.

As you know I like to save money, the vendor that I bought from had the lowest price in Ibadan for that item. I price like for like item, I do not compare gold plated to silver plated grin

I went there with one of my Micras and loaded all three up, cash and carry.

I wouldn't do payment before delivery grin
Exactly Sir, thats what he's suppose to do since he cant pay on delivery. I told him we dont do "pay on delivery" due to bad experiences we had in the past that made us stop... But clients who cant pay on delivery do come to our showroom to pick up and pay.. But anyways, nice one
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by NL1960: 9:40am On Mar 20, 2017
Daboomb:

It is strange that alot of tenants think they are at liberty to run-away with house rent, by just packing out when the landlord is not aware?
I have seen a landlord who went to an escapee Tenants place of work to demand for his rent, after the tenant ran away with over one years rent (just before the court could make a pronunciation on their court case, which is what most do), he created so much scene that the company had o arrange some quick loan for the tenant` and they will deduct such from his pay, installmentally.

Whether matter is in court or not, the law requires you continue to pay your rent.
Quit-notice period is not free-rent period, under the law, unlike what most tenants think and want to practice.

If you destroy a landlords fitting in the house you rent, when moving out, he can get you arrested and prosecuted because wilful damage is a criminal offence under the law.

Landlords need to tighten their signed contract and make sure everything is 'properly worded' to give them liberty to operate, this is best done when the tenant is looking to rent the house. the input of a 'trusted' Lawyer is very necessary at the renting stage
As long as it is not against the law (void), the law recognises and will enforce an agreement entered into by two adult parties.

You think many of them do this?. Why do you think we have all these Landlord vs Tenants issues?. So many people are now agents just as so many people are now builders and many Landlords give such agents their houses because most of them think they can cajole 'excess' rent from the desperate accommodate seeker and such Landlords do not want to pay professional fees to real professionals. Once some Landlords see money, their brains go turn to another side. Iam in a six flat apartment. I was the second to pay. When the 3rd person came, he said that he prefer the one i had already paid for and when told that it was already taken, he said that he was ready to pay double amount to the Landlord so that i can be refunded. The Landlord refused. Iam still in that accommodation but the man that wanted to initially pay double had left. He was given quit notice because he could no longer pay the rent. So imagine if the Landlord had collected the double amount from him initially.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 9:55am On Mar 20, 2017
20/03/2017

Reinforcement bar

Local 10mm @N185,000
Local 12&16 @N170,000

Tiger@N240,000/ton
Pulkit @N240,000/ton

Order now: 08055545355, 08032887233
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 9:57am On Mar 20, 2017
FastShipping:

even me who is a learner builder chained every top that has a void, be it windows or dor or just a hole grin grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:50am On Mar 20, 2017
Good points noted here.
where can one build high class property for upper class tenants for 50m, in some places land alone is 50m. I guess it depends on your definition of upper market ?

Mayor78:
@Egunmogaji you asked 'weekly ke' to my earlier point that oyibo pay wages weekly. O'course weekly. It may not be so in US but it is very common here in Europe to be paid weekly, forthnightly, rarely monthly.

In general to the point of renting solution, it would be fair for landlord/ladies to collect their rents monthly through compulsory standing order at onset with option of biannual or annual pay whichever suits the tenant especially for those that let at lower market space.
The cost of non payment far outways the loss from enabling tenant to live free for years in your house while you pursue case at court. Our courts na wahala.
Again if tenant has problem with invading privacy or space with incessant monthly rent reminders, the tennant have been provided an option already (biannual, or annual). Nigeria tenants cant be scratched with small knives. If you give space, they will always come with story.
It makes more sense to me to build one letting property at the cost of N50m targetting upper market tennants than spend N20m each on 3 seperate properties targetting Bob's and Jane's especially if I am not on ground to manage these properties myself. Stress free investment should be the target.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 10:58am On Mar 20, 2017
Thank you Bros for this.
How about as you said on top of a carport for all the panels, then have a room next to security house to store gadgets or does it have to be in the main house, i was thinking it should be close to the panels.

Also can this solution work if one is not around to charge/drain the battery all the time, so lets assume 8 weeks use in one year. I have a feeling when batteries are not used, they degrade. I could be wrong here. If i also have a large panel say covering 200sqm, does that mean i can generate more energy ?

abunafiu:

A dedicated room to house all the gadgets is the first step. Bearing in mind good ventilation.
Make provision for 2 units of distribution boards (Phcn and inverter) . Your electrician should be well skilled in this aspect so he can separate loads based on your preference. The wiring design should be flexible (according to standard ~the use of MCB per final sub-circuit) so that any modification can be easily done with less stress.
Identify where you want the panels to sit on. Car park is my favorite. My cars are parked under the solar wooden stand.
Discuss it in detail with your architects or engineer for robust ideas.
You will never regret going solar.

I don't have a blog.
You can easily refer to the general solar thread for more information.
https://www.nairaland.com/390522/solar-energy-complement-fta
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 10:58am On Mar 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I was trying to be dramatic grin

I know... we need it sometimes here with all these artisans stress. smiley

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:20am On Mar 20, 2017
mavverick:
Thank you Bros for this.
How about as you said on top of a carport for all the panels, then have a room next to security house to store gadgets or does it have to be in the main house, i was thinking it should be close to the panels.

Also can this solution work if one is not around to charge/drain the battery all the time, so lets assume 8 weeks use in one year. I have a feeling when batteries are not used, they degrade. I could be wrong here. If i also have a large panel say covering 200sqm, does that mean i can generate more energy ?

I saw this just now.I'm planning to have these .
There are 12 panels on the roof of this building.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:24am On Mar 20, 2017
You read my mind, i see them a lot for sale and if one has a eye for a bargain, not too expensive. IF I can compliment this with Nepa, and also have something that will also be charging my solar battery when NEPA is working (if such exists), then that would be the ideal situation. I am also considering that solar panel for my house, but only if it can be hidden from view.

erico2k2:

I saw this just now.I'm planning to have these
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:32am On Mar 20, 2017
mavverick:
You read my mind, i see them a lot for sale and if one has a eye for a bargain, not too expensive. IF I can compliment this with Nepa, and also have something that will also be charging my solar battery when NEPA is working (if such exists), then that would be the ideal situation. I am also considering that solar panel for my house, but only if it can be hidden from view.

Well if you have these panels you do not need NEPA to charge your batteries,
and how are you going to hide them when they need light to work? or you mean from view?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mavverick: 11:56am On Mar 20, 2017
yeh, hide from view.
if u got a hip roof, then its almost impossible to hide from view, but the beauty with nija is that no regulations on how roof needs to look like, so u can design in such a way that maybe have a roof gully that dips, there u put your panels. You know nija, before u know am now people go describe ur house as that house wey get black thing for roof, and those kind of descriptions stick with thieves.

erico2k2:

Well if you have these panels you do not need NEPA to charge your batteries,
and how are you going to hide them when they need light to work? or you mean from view?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 11:58am On Mar 20, 2017
mavverick:
yeh, hide from view.
if u got a hip roof, then its almost impossible to hide from view, but the beauty with nija is that no regulations on how roof needs to look like, so u can design in such a way that maybe have a roof gully that dips, there u put your panels. You know nija, before u know am now people go describe ur house as that house wey get black thing for roof, and those kind of descriptions stick with thieves.

grin grin grin grin grin
Black thing for roof, ahah dont worry we can invest in that *Take broom sweep my compound * grin

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 12:00pm On Mar 20, 2017
ogas in the house jst saw this can someone pls confirm if its true

Home » NIGERIAN NEWS » Dangote Cement Announces N300 Reduction In Cement Price
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:30pm On Mar 20, 2017
bereiweris:

I hope its true oh, plz men on ground confirm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 12:33pm On Mar 20, 2017
bereiweris:

I heard same
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 12:41pm On Mar 20, 2017
twinskenny:

I heard same

I am sure Oga Chekitaut will surely let us know.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 12:44pm On Mar 20, 2017
abeg let it b true Tnx
twinskenny:

I heard same
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 12:44pm On Mar 20, 2017
Tnx boss waiting for the update
mufutau55:

I am sure Oga Chekitaut will surely let us know.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:49pm On Mar 20, 2017
FastShipping:

I'm still surprised.. How did they now set blocks on the windows bearing in mind it's supposed to sit on the lintel?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 2:56pm On Mar 20, 2017
lorhema:
Good morning all. I hope I'm not derailing the thread. I need help. I'm about to buy land in Ibadan but live in Plateau State and have mobility issues. I need a good lawyer to do the necessary verification, and a registered surveyor. I'd appreciate your recommendations. Thank you.

Best advice is to spare a week. Come and do it by yourself. I can give you directions to offices you will go to at secretariat (no contacts).. just walk in, make enquiries and pay. You will also get govt registered surveyors there..

You will also be able to see the land topography before you pay.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (644) (645) (646) (647) (648) (649) (650) ... (3679) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Rany4all(m), twinskenny(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.