Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (784) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4710206 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) ... (3755) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:54pm On Sep 25, 2017
GoodFaith:

One room you need two bricklayers and one server for the walls
Just inside the building
so for 5 bedroom you need total of 10 bricklayers and 5 servers
Living and dinning room four bricklayers and two servers
You have the hallway and kitchen let us put four bricklayers and two servers
Total bricklayer is now 18 and servers 9 servers
If Bricklayer is N3000 a day
Servers is N2000 a day
Total for bricklayers N54,000
total for Server is N18,000
Total to plastering five bedrooms and one living and dinning is N72,000

hmmm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:33pm On Sep 25, 2017
Chukazu:
@ oga EgunMogaji and oga mafutau55 please help me with one architecture with the name " midastouch" on the forum.undecided

I have no experience with that username.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chukazu: 6:17pm On Sep 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I have no experience with that username.

actually its not the right username but something close to it ...was just trying to give a clue.

he has posted some architectural designs here that you commented on.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2017
Chukazu:

actually its not the right username but something close to it ...was just trying to give a clue.

hi this is the guy your looking for.

https://www.nairaland.com/midastouch
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 25, 2017
Chukazu:

I align with Darenyx, http://Nairaland.Com/Darenyx

If it’s him then I recommend him and only him in terms of architecture and I do so without any reservation.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chukazu: 6:39pm On Sep 25, 2017
raymondFirstborn:

hi this is the guy your looking for.
https://www.nairaland.com/midastouch
thank you Sir
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chukazu: 6:40pm On Sep 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I align with Darenyx, http://Nairaland.Com/Darenyx

If it’s him then I recommend him and only him in terms of architecture and I do so without any reservation.

ok sir...someone just gave the link

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chekitaut: 6:48pm On Sep 25, 2017
30tons GRANITE
Lagos Island all tru Lekki-Ajah @N135,000
Mainland @N130,000

Call now: 08055545355, 08032887233
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2017
Chukazu:

ok sir...someone just gave the link

Excellent.

Good luck on your project.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 8:13pm On Sep 25, 2017
Chukazu:
@ oga EgunMogaji and oga mufutau55 please help me with one architecture with the name " midastouch" on the forum.undecided

Sorry Sir. I don't know him.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by topsy23: 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2017
back2sender:
Allcopacetic over to you for expertise.

What kind of distribution box can i used for 3 one bedroom flats prepaid meter installations in each of the flat. I was asked to get a distribution box so that i dont have to do 3 direct connections from the pole but just one connection and the distribution box to connect the other 2 flats.

Its a 3phase meter for each flat.

Just a simple one with Cost idea and picture if available.
Thanks alot

for one bedroom apartment with the following installation;
2 AC
1 cooker control unit
1 water heater

u will need 6-ways consumer unit(single phase) for each flat

why using 3-phase prepaid meter for 1bedroom flat ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 9:26pm On Sep 25, 2017
alstacs:

I am sorry I am dragging us back to what we had argued exhaustively on a few months back.
What does fair price mean. I wish such things can be established here from time to time to help people negotiate for workmanship for their projects.

[b]1. What is fair price for plastering a 5 bedroom duplex?
[/b]2. What is a price for wiring a 3 bedroom flat? A 5 or 6 bedroom duplex?
3. What is a fair price for laying of plumbing pipes in a decking? Etc...

Pls make una help give such averages once in a while, ẹ má bínú

GoodFaith:

One room you need two bricklayers and one server for the walls
Just inside the building
so for 5 bedroom you need total of 10 bricklayers and 5 servers
Living and dinning room four bricklayers and two servers
You have the hallway and kitchen let us put four bricklayers and two servers
Total bricklayer is now 18 and servers 9 servers
If Bricklayer is N3000 a day
Servers is N2000 a day
Total for bricklayers N54,000
total for Server is N18,000
Total to plastering five bedrooms and one living and dinning is N72,000

Are you saying that the cost of plastering a 5 bedroom duplex is N72,000?

Wow!

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 9:38pm On Sep 25, 2017
topsy23:

for one bedroom apartment with the following installation;
2 AC
1 cooker control unit
1 water heater

u will need 6-ways consumer unit(single phase) for each flat

why using 3-phase prepaid meter for 1bedroom flat ?
That is what is been shared, no single Phase meter

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2017
kopell:
My brother you're very wrong, as poor as Nigerias are in Naija easily someone can give you 10k for doing nothing. I mean doing nothing! for he or she. Here you may have to work hard for that $25, no one gives you money out here for free. So please get that impression right Many here can testify on that ok. Mind you $25 is not peanuts. Let it be very appreciated with great respect from anyone who comes to Naija from abroad and give you or anyone naira equivalent of that amount, it's not a joke to make money here no matter what one does for living. So pls get that right and clear.

It might be good if you ask me where I live... I have experience of both home and "da abroad" oh. Lol.
When you talk about 10k being dashable... You may not be entirely right. Ask civil servant who genuinely works to earn every penny for just 1k, then get ready to light cigarette with his red eyes �.
Let us restrict our arguments to those who work to get 25 USD and 10k naira... The feeling of letting go is similar. It has been proven that simple conversion of money doesn't mean a thing but rather the purchasing power of such.
Let me go lower, as a sales assistant in a shop in Nigeria, how many hours or days will it take me to earn 10k naira? As a sales assistant elsewhere, how many hours or days will it take me to earn 25 dollars?
How much is my transport to work in both situations? Reflecting on these will help you see my point of view which isn't rigid, anyway.
Back to personal experience, I do dash out money in the likes of 25 dollars on that side but I will think twice before dashing out 10k naira knowing fully well, the cleaner in my office earns that as monthly salary abi na wage

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 9:58pm On Sep 25, 2017
spyder880:

Are you saying that the cost of plastering a 5 bedroom duplex is N72,000?

Wow!

Lord Spyder880, while the figure may be very far from the reality, I love his approach. It dove me closer to the objective way of deriving cost. Please help suggest ways of improving on his technique.
I once had a neighbor who negotiated plastering based on walls per Sq m. He had different values for outside walls of upper floors where they had to climb scaffold, he also had different unit cost for dressing of parapet etc...

But seriously, I'm impressed by his approach, though the figures are quite low

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jokepearl(f): 11:34pm On Sep 25, 2017
Chukazu:
@ oga EgunMogaji and oga mafutau55 please help me with one architecture with the name " midastouch" on the forum.undecided

You maybe referring to ihebrooke
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 12:10am On Sep 26, 2017
alstacs:

Lord Spyder880, while the figure may be very far from the reality, I love his approach. It dove me closer to the objective way of deriving cost. Please help suggest ways of improving on his technique.
I once had a neighbor who negotiated plastering based on walls per Sq m. He had different values for outside walls of upper floors where they had to climb scaffold, he also had different unit cost for dressing of parapet etc...

I like it too.

It’s s great start and similar to what I ultimately used myself.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 12:18am On Sep 26, 2017
The Dry Season is getting near again, baba God enhance our pocket to do BIG things! cool cool

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 12:20am On Sep 26, 2017
olumide4christ:

Bros...you really hit the nail on the head!!!
At the bolded above, in my dealings with some Nairalanders, I have realized that they fall short of what you have stated...they don't like to hear the truth. When you give them estimates that are higher than what they are expecting, they tend to think you want to cheat them. They won't even respond to your mail or message or even acknowledge/thank you for the time you took to give them estimates free of charge . Penny wise, pound foolish...its so appalling.
Lol, at bolded.
I'm really not suprised
Well in the end it is each to his own. I have elected to mind the business that pays me.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 1:26am On Sep 26, 2017
InvertedHammer:

Annual average wage of plumber is $50k-$60k?

I hope you understand how average is computed. No need of mentioning regional rates. A plumber in Idaho may not come close to a plumber in SoCal. Just saying...

Pay Nigerian workers N100k per day, the result will be the same. They don't have the patience to learn a trade. It gets worse with no central certification. Anyone can buy a headpan and trowel and become a mason overnight. No be to hold blocks with cement?

You know it is not about the labour rate when you look at some houses built in the 50's. The attention to details is very remarkable. But these days, one mason wants to lay 400 blocks in one day because of cost/block . A plumber will get 3 jobs in different cities and the macabre dance starts.

I believe most of the artisans wear bad workmanship as a badge of honour. I can really envisage them giving high-five to one another at the mediocrity of their work... Or so it seems.

/

That's what the statistics and maths say, unless you believe the authors are wrong.

Yes I definitely understand. I am not even interested in the particulars...exact, approximate, annual or daily wages and all that.
I just don't understand how it could possibly be up for debate that a country where even the cheapest skilled hand in the cheapest location won't earn less than $12 - $15 per hour is considered cheaper than Nigeria. These well sung "standard rates" are there for different locations.

You are definitely right, the labour or skill inadequacy is a real problem . One that can be best addressed with a fully enforced licensing and qualification structure.

An example is the existence of a body like LECAN ( Licensed Electrical contractors Association of Nigeria) back in the day you had to pass tests to qualify as a member, and they went on feild inspection on branch basis to new sites within the area to ascertain the quality of work. And any non LECAN member found performing or doing electircal jobs were tackled
But now the story is different just about any tom can join, and inspections are just to collect egunje.
Imagine If such a body was fully functional and people engaged only verified LECAN members, imagine how much it would improve the quality of electrical installations country wide.

At bolded points to the pursuit of a better income ( higher labour rate) culminating in shoddy jobs. Which really isnt an excuse by the way, and shouldn't apply to a good mason or workman. A Higher pay won't guarantee better results if the workman in question is inadequate (lazy or unskilled) to start with. Which is where the benefits of having labour standards come in.

Truth be told the standard of living considering the wage or pay back then was better.

In the end, we have a big problem with Skill and Material Inadequacy.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 1:40am On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:
Allcopacetic over to you for expertise.

What kind of distribution box can i used for 3 one bedroom flats prepaid meter installations in each of the flat. I was asked to get a distribution box so that i dont have to do 3 direct connections from the pole but just one connection and the distribution box to connect the other 2 flats.

Its a 3phase meter for each flat.

Just a simple one with Cost idea and picture if available.
Thanks alot
You want a 3phase meter for each flat, but one Distribution board for all three. .. that is counter-intuitive .

Distribution Boards are for internal circuitry. The type or number of distribution boards you have doesn't have anything to do with how you intended to do the servicing. Unless we're not talking about the same thing.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:14am On Sep 26, 2017
Okay, I think I get it now.

Sellers/Providers wants to be in charge and looked at as lords and have common unwashed heathen buyers grovel at their feet grin

Issorite

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:45am On Sep 26, 2017
jokepearl:

Ihebrooke is: "Masterstouchstudios(MTS)"

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:44am On Sep 26, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Okay, I think I get it now.

Sellers/Providers wants to be in charge and looked at as lords and have common unwashed heathen buyers grovel at their feet grin

Issorite

Yep. Even for the truly mundane things. Imagine an arrogant 'engineer' demanding 500 naira to cut a sim card.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 5:03am On Sep 26, 2017
allCopacetic:

You want a 3phase meter for each flat, but one Distribution board for all three. .. that is counter-intuitive .

Distribution Boards are for internal circuitry. The type or number of distribution boards you have doesn't have anything to do with how you intended to do the servicing. Unless we're not talking about the same thing.
Maybewam not getting it as the equipment should be called.
I don't want to do 3 wire connections(9wires) From the pole to each of the flats but rather one wire connection (3 wires) From the Nepa pole and the equipment Makes it easier to connect to the 3 Prepaid Meter.
What's the equipment I can use and cost of such an equipment?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:30am On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Maybewam not getting it as the equipment should be called.
I don't want to do 3 wire connections(9wires) From the pole to each of the flats but rather one wire connection (3 wires) From the Nepa pole and the equipment Makes it easier to connect to the 3 Prepaid Meter.
What's the equipment I can use and cost of such an equipment?

How big are these flats?

Will each flats have different change over switch??

Do they have sepetat distribution board?
Thanks
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:36am On Sep 26, 2017
oyb:

Yep. Even for the truly mundane things. Imagine an arrogant 'engineer' demanding 500 naira to cut a sim card.

Sometimes I think it's too late for Nigeria and we should just do a reset. Things are upside down, too far gone I think.

Here's Bill Gates answer to a question about technology:

BG: In the Gates Foundation’s work, you really want to track what’s going on to stop corruption. Say there’s a grant to Nigeria for health stuff—if it’s digital money, they can track that it was paid to a certain person and when it was paid out. Then you can audit later and say, “Did that really happen?” You don’t want to tell donors that three percent went astray. Now that there’s digital traceability in a place like Nigeria, where corruption is a huge problem, we can bring that down. A lot of the optimism we have at the foundation about disease, education and financial services is because we’re sitting on top of a digital miracle. That’s why staying engaged with Microsoft isn’t just fun for me personally; it’s also creating synergy. I see where digital tools work and don’t work in my foundation role, and then I come over here and ask, “How come we’re not making this better?” or “What comes next?”

If they can skim from healthcare grants why won't they skimp from a poor sap trying to build a shelter for his family.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:08am On Sep 26, 2017
alstacs:

EgunMogaji:

I like it too.

It’s s great start and similar to what I ultimately used myself.

I also commend him for that approach in cost determination and want to say that I used a lot of those methods in years past. He is using the method we call "daily pay/counting" method to do the calculations, I also used the space measurement approach , it's either I calculate in "partitions" or in "square metres" . Now I estimate plastering in "whole" contracting. Let me explain.

Daily pay method.

This is the method of plastering where the owner or supervisor gives out the job of plastering to artisans by paying them daily, with a predetermined amount of money. The person serving the plastering guy will also be paid daily. This is the oldest method I met in the field. The older artisans were doing great works with it, until lazy people made that method inefficient. People started coming to work late, with boxes of snuff, and will take a snuff break after about every 30 minutes just to delay the work. Ditto for smoking break, breakfast and lunch breaks, even long phone call breaks. We had to change the system, if not, these men can keep working on a house for one year!

The partition/square meter counting methods.

We had to quickly change to the counting method and it solved a lot of delays in the previous method, but could be disastrous if not well monitored. You give out the work by counting partitions (every 12 feet) and agreeing a rate for the plastering. The artisan could pay his server and up the rates or you agree a rate with the helpers too. The artisans will usually go for the easy places first. The places they can do while standing on the ground. They will change the tone as soon as those soft areas finish, they will start singing another song, you have to renegotiate for the part on scaffolding, the bottom of the decking, corners and edges, parapets, dressings and designs. This could be tricky, and many artisans abandon the project at this difficult stage. We had to do something again.

The whole house contract

This method will mean you do your own due calculations, determine the number of walls, inside and outside, points to note are the tricky areas, style of designs and the expected challenges. Then you find an artisan and negotiate cost of plastering. A whole sum will be agreed to and you pay them according to what they have done. You can then easily supervise their quality and speed of work.

Let me add here that the quality of work done in Nigeria is always shambolic, not only in the plastering or building sector, a Nigerian administrator is usually a perpetual under performer, a Nigerian medical doctor will give you a terrible service if you are not a good paying client, a Nigerian motor mechanic will damage your fine car and still demand you pay him, and it goes on and on. I think it's the system, the system that makes it easy for people to manipulate the system. Our duty should be to identify those workers who have shown an interest for quality works, to retain them and pay them better as an incentive to future quality works, we also need to retrain workers and show them the latest methods of doing things better.

11 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 7:20am On Sep 26, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Sometimes I think it's too late for Nigeria and we should just do a reset. Things are upside down, too far gone I think.

Here's Bill Gates answer to a question about technology:

BG: In the Gates Foundation’s work, you really want to track what’s going on to stop corruption. Say there’s a grant to Nigeria for health stuff—if it’s digital money, they can track that it was paid to a certain person and when it was paid out. Then you can audit later and say, “Did that really happen?” You don’t want to tell donors that three percent went astray. Now that there’s digital traceability in a place like Nigeria, where corruption is a huge problem, we can bring that down. A lot of the optimism we have at the foundation about disease, education and financial services is because we’re sitting on top of a digital miracle. That’s why staying engaged with Microsoft isn’t just fun for me personally; it’s also creating synergy. I see where digital tools work and don’t work in my foundation role, and then I come over here and ask, “How come we’re not making this better?” or “What comes next?”

If they can skim from healthcare grants why won't they skimp from a poor sap trying to build a shelter for his family.

Went to fix something in my car yesterday.. first seller said oga na 25k for the parts and na original. Japan... second said na 18k grade one chacha... third one said na direct from Belgium I give u one year garrantee price is 9k now am confused... not taking about he price this time but how do I differentiate which one is real and which one is not I left the place without making a choice real confusing

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Chukazu: 8:14am On Sep 26, 2017
jokepearl:

ok dear ...I Will search the username
thank you
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 8:26am On Sep 26, 2017
twinskenny:

How big are these flats?

Will each flats have different change over switch??

Do they have sepetat distribution board?
Thanks
Each flat we have separate change over switch. No sepetat distribution box ( hope this is what i have been asking for? So far without me knowing ).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 9:02am On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Each flat we have separate change over switch. No sepetat distribution box ( hope this is what i have been asking for? So far without me knowing ).

They can't have same db... each flat should have seperate db...

(1) (2) (3) ... (781) (782) (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) ... (3755) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.