Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,122 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:33 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (786) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4501171 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) ... (3694) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 4:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:

called Coleman last week but it was late
got this prices the next day
1.5mm----N8232
2.5mm---N13575
4mm-----N22430
10mm----N54,222

You mean the price has increased?
This is factory price distributor prices are lower
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 26, 2017
GallantGalaxy:
Once you have option to pick up from factory with peace of mind why the blood pressure raising distributor. I dey too old for unecessary 9ja stress.

I hear you loud and clear and I’m in complete agreement.

Factory direct is the ultimate decision even if it costs a little bit more.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 4:28pm On Sep 26, 2017
olumide4christ:
The house should also understand that in most cases, handling labor work using the daily pay system always ends up in time delays as the artisans & laborers will intentionally work slowly such that the more the job is prolonged, the more daily wages they get.
On the other hand, when the artisans are paid per m2 or any other unit of measurement or on contract basis, they tend to move the work fast so that they can finish and move on to work on some other site.
A practical example happened recently on one of our sites. The building had already been completed but my chairman didn't like the quality of the HDF door frames and subframes. He directed that they be changed to hardwood throughout. We got a mason to cut open the wall around the door openings using electric grinder, fix the subframes with mortar and dress. This mason wanted to use 12 days to the job but because we gave the job to him as a contract of N80,000 as against N120,000 which he asked for a total of 54 doors, he finished the job within the 6 days which I gave him as his timeline.
If we had paid him per day, he would surely not finish the job in 12 days.

The #80k you paid is the right wage, contract or no contract.

The ideology behind agreeing to a particular price based on any unit of measurement does not actually make a work move faster per se. It is only an expression.

A mason is supposed to take minimum of #3k home in the instance of laying 100 blocks of 6".
If he intends to set block only to cover 1.5sqm of wall who is to be affected? Well he will tell his wife at home the reason. Same goes for all artisan works going by sqm pricing.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 26, 2017
mufutau55:

Oga mi. I detect a "where is the beaf" tone to some certain sellers and artisans in the above o.
What gives? Or I will start another war... if so, pls skip on.

Hajji M.

Not anyone in particular but just like to stick up for the new guys.

I hate “them” calling new guys cheap because they come on here fo figure out if the quotes that they’re getting is on par.

I especially detest the “if you don’t buy from me then you deserve to get fake products” crew. That’s just sanctimonious bull excrement.

But for this your thread I’ll be a good political correct boy as you’ve trained me.

The rofo rofo thread still dey sha grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 26, 2017
fash78:
hello house. I need to do window and door shield to guide against rain water. I also need to install rain water pipe connector round my house.
If you are competent in doing this plesse drop me message here and I will contact you.
Thanks

Dude, how far? grin

I still need to get this done too on my padlock garage, so if anybody is in Ibadan, holla.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 26, 2017
I had 9 anti burglary bars installed last week.

After all the hemming and hawing we decided on N500 per bar excluding materials. I always supply my own materials.

He said the job is hard blah blah and will take him two days.

He finished the job in 6 hours flat.

Just another example of pricing per unit. If you do this then you don’t care if the artisan moves in with family. He will not get a penny more and the job better be done right and on time.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 5:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:

"Plastering of walls, I price it per SQM"
Your SOM have to add up to two bricklayer and a server if am buying material
A contractor told my friend to set a block in Lagos was N50 for one block
I told my friend it was a good price why
In Benin a bricklayer and one server set 100 block a day, some might do 105 blocks a day
so to set 100 block in Lagos per the contractor will be N5000 for 100 block
In Benin a bricklayer is N3000 daily and a server is N2000 daily

Well boss, you know this how we calculate contract rates for the BOQ Usually different from the way we do material & labour estimate.

But I get your point.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 5:16pm On Sep 26, 2017
olumide4christ:
The house should also understand that in most cases, handling labor work using the daily pay system always ends up in time delays as the artisans & laborers will intentionally work slowly such that the more the job is prolonged, the more daily wages they get.
On the other hand, when the artisans are paid per m2 or any other unit of measurement or on contract basis, they tend to move the work fast so that they can finish and move on to work on some other site.
A practical example happened recently on one of our sites. The building had already been completed but my chairman didn't like the quality of the HDF door frames and subframes. He directed that they be changed to hardwood throughout. We got a mason to cut open the wall around the door openings using electric grinder, fix the subframes with mortar and dress. This mason wanted to use 12 days to the job but because we gave the job to him as a contract of N80,000 as against N120,000 which he asked for a total of 54 doors, he finished the job within the 6 days which I gave him as his timeline.

Thanks for this.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2017
AngelicBeing:
Chai, nawao, anything called corruption is often associated with the jungle called Nigeria, when did we get to this stage of our national life, what can clean this huge stain of dirt from Nigeria?. I have attended conferences, in-house office trainings, seminars and meetings both in Nigeria and my location -abroad, sometimes before/during coffee breaks or after the meetings, when my fellow participants engage me in private conversations, immediately l identify my country of origin, they look at me somehow and change the discussion, some of them will open their emails and show me scam mails from Nigerian yahoo boys, I sometimes find it hard to either defend the honest Nigerians who toil daily back home to earn their living or just keep quiet and allow them to talk and talk, the name Nigeria is first associated with fraud, scams, corruption etc regardless of the Western passport we carry, very unfortunate sad
Pls stop using language like jungle to descried country of over 180 million people. When will weself be patriotic to were' are born. What did you do in your capacity to let those people no that, there are just very few that drang that country to the mod we are today. I don't know what part of the west you reside. One thing is very clear me though, You will not referred to them as jungle. Pls let try to reflect the best of our people anywhere we find ourselves, that is the only way we can let people new that not every one of us are bad. I am proud Nigerian, am very proud to identify my self as one of good Nigerian in any part of the world I travelled. In the first place why will I not, I don't choose where I was born. Pls don't take it as personal oh, let us just be proud of who we are.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 5:36pm On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Maybewam not getting it as the equipment should be called.
I don't want to do 3 wire connections(9wires) From the pole to each of the flats but rather one wire connection (3 wires) From the Nepa pole and the equipment Makes it easier to connect to the 3 Prepaid Meter.
What's the equipment I can use and cost of such an equipment?

Most likely you are referring to a Busbar.
Its cost will depend on the Amperage.
Do a search on Jumia or Jiiji.com and have a good idea or see for yourself.

Let me give a general scenario and see if you can relate with it:

1.) Usually, what you get is from the PHCN Pole is 4wires for a 3phase connection, R,Y,B and Neutral N, to the Busbar, where each Meter will be fed with 3units of very short Cables (as short as 3ft or even less, depending on where you position each meter) that run to each 3phase meter.

2.) From each 3-phase Meter, three cables will run into your 4-pole breakers (disadvantage of a 3-phase wiring, in terms of cost; when you could have used 2 o3 3pole breakers that are way much cheaper!), all using a common Neutral (making 4wires).

3.) From the Breakers, 2 wires (or three at most), "can" run to your DB straight-away, to power each flat
Or if you want each flat to be able to take advantage of the three phase, you cant install "ohase-changers/selelctors in-between the Breakers and the DB so that if they take light on one phase, they can simply swith to another phase that has light (advantage of 3-phase meter) but it will cost you more money, in terms of additonal equipment as above, and wires.

Now, you can as well wire the Meters like they are Single phase by not connecting all the phases and not installing phase-changers.
You win some, you lose some.

I hope this clarifies your question?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 5:49pm On Sep 26, 2017
twinskenny:

You mean the price has increased?
This is factory price distributor prices are lower

The Lady might be trying to play me
I am going to call other phone number 7ja
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 5:52pm On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Each flat we have separate change over switch. No sepetat distribution box ( hope this is what i have been asking for? So far without me knowing ).

Na lie, that is not what you have been asking for! grin grin

Each flat has to have a separate DBox Sir.
What is the essence of having Separate Meters, if you still have to tie them together with a single DBox?
it is not even possible sef

I am sure you did not mean the situation because the whole idea of a Dbox is to ISOLATE a fault in each flat's wiring such that if say for example, a kettle is 'bridged inside' and is causing a fault in the wiring system, the breaker inside the Dbox, that is responsible for that Ring/segment/circuit where the Kettle is on, will isolate and TRIP-OFF while other ciruits are still functional.

So, inside a DB, you have many small Breakers that can trip-off and be reset when the fault is corrected.
The DB has no further use appart from this important one.
Therefore, each flat will require one DBox (standard procedure).
Each DBox is usually going to be inside each flat so they can correct/reset the breakers, when a fault occurs.
They are not very expensive but do a very improtant job. Cost depends on number of breakers (4, 8, 12, 16, e.t.c).

See my first post and see if you can follow the sequence.
I am sure that what you are asking for in somewhere inside that post
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 26, 2017
olumide4christ:

the greatest one chance is when you are working in the ND/SS and have to engage community youths. those ones will do everything in their power to stretch the works indefinetely.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
Daboomb:

Most likely you are referring to a Busbar.
Its cost will depend on the Amperage.
Do a search on Jumia or Jiiji.com and have a good idea or see for yourself.

Let me give a general scenario and see if you can relate with it:

1.) Usually, what you get is from the PHCN Pole is 4wires for a 3phase connection, R,Y,B and Neutral N, to the Busbar, where each Meter will be fed with 3units of very short Cables (as short as 3ft or even less, depending on where you position each meter) that run to each 3phase meter.

2.) From each 3-phase Meter, three cables will run into your 4-pole breakers (disadvantage of a 3-phase wiring, in terms of cost; when you could have used 2 o3 3pole breakers that are way much cheaper!), all using a common Neutral (making 4wires).

3.) From the Breakers, 2 wires (or three at most), "can" run to your DB straight-away, to power each flat
Or if you want each flat to be able to take advantage of the three phase, you cant install "ohase-changers/selelctors in-between the Breakers and the DB so that if they take light on one phase, they can simply swith to another phase that has light (advantage of 3-phase meter) but it will cost you more money, in terms of additonal equipment as above, and wires.

Now, you can as well wire the Meters like they are Single phase by not connecting all the phases and not installing phase-changers.
You win some, you lose some.

I hope this clarifies your question?
Naa Busbar, Thanks man.
Something when person no sabi naa learn he go learn.
Thanks again

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by olumide4christ: 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
bixton:

The #80k you paid is the right wage, contract or no contract.

The ideology behind agreeing to a particular price based on any unit of measurement does not actually make a work move faster per se. It is only an expression.

A mason is supposed to take minimum of #3k home in the instance of laying 100 blocks of 6".
If he intends to set block only to cover 1.5sqm of wall who is to be affected? Well he will tell his wife at home the reason. Same goes for all artisan works going by sqm pricing.

@ the bolded
I made my statements based on my experience with artisans, also the experience of other professionals I know of. You may have a different experience with artisans...but I spoke based on what I know and have seen in the industry.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:

The Lady might be trying to play me
I am going to call other phone number 7ja

it is also possible that the production price has increased since the distributor bought last and the distributor has not yest exhausted his/her stock
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:12pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:
@bixton:
If you don't live in Nigeria
If you are going to build a house in the land
Please make sure you are present for the foundation, filling and German floor
If is upstairs decking and roofing, tiles
You will save yourself lot of money
Experience is the best teacher
Hopefully u have four good friend or family member you can ask to check out prices for u

Very wise words of advice. undecided undecided

Apert from cost-issues, you want to be sure that your foundation, which you cant replace or repeat, is up to standard and as specified in your plan/drawings.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:21pm On Sep 26, 2017
Daboomb:

Very wise words of advice. undecided undecided

Apert from cost-issues, you want to be sure that your foundation, which you cant replace or repeat, is up to standard and as specified in your plan/drawings.

but - if you are not a subject matter expert, how do you know they are giving you the right foundation?
how do you know it is the right depth, compaction, mix, blinding, filling, waterproofing etc?
no be naija?

5 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:26pm On Sep 26, 2017
olumide4christ:

There are jobs that need minute detailing (as in 'fine-finish') and pains-taking attention.
In such jobs, l personally will not want a 'rush-rush' Artisan that is mostly concerned with finishig as quickly as possible.
I would rather he takes his time and do a perfect finish.

In daily-paid job, the problem most people have (and why it does not work for them) is that they themselves have no idea what the job involves or entails and hence, cant break it down into "daily modules or chunks" that is fair to the artisan and to themselves such that each person adheres to the job schedule and time frame.
I had work with a particular bricklayer on a daily basis for about three weeks.
It was a finishing stage and each morning, l usually detail what he needed to do for him and paid him 4k on daily basis.
Infact, l so much enjoyed his job that l do not even have to look over my shoulders or inspect what he was doing, after awhile.
At times, he even goes further than what l expect (maybe l forgot something and he saw it and thought it was necessary, to make his work complete).

***Most Artisans are not exactly like him and l have met tens of crazy ones, along the line, so he could just be an exception**** undecided

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 6:41pm On Sep 26, 2017
kopell:
Pls stop using language like jungle to descried country of over 180 million people. When will weself be patriotic to were' are born. What did you do in your capacity to let those people no that, there are just very few that drang that country to the mod we are today. I don't know what part of the west you reside. One thing is very clear me though, You will not referred to them as jungle. Pls let try to reflect the best of our people anywhere we find ourselves, that is the only way we can let people new that not every one of us are bad. I am proud Nigerian, am very proud to identify my self as one of good Nigerian in any part of the world I travelled. In the first place why will I not, I don't choose where I was born. Pls don't take it as personal oh, let us just be proud of who we are.
l will not stop describing the country as a jungle, it is my opinion and views, I will not also tell you the little l have done in my capacity off and on in Nigeria because it will be tantamount to self glorification, go and read different print and news media in Nigeria and see what learned professionals and academic professors use in describing the jungle called Nigeria, Google is there to help you if you care to use it, secondly, telling you the place l reside is also irrelevant but one thing I know is that, the country is a jungle, from the excerpt posted by EgunMogaji which I responded to and several others which I don't have the luxury of time to pull out, there is no difference between a jungle and the Nigeria you are proud about, If you are proud of been a Nigerian, good luck to you but I am not, don't even get me started on my several reasons why I agree with those who call the country despicable names, l don't want to derail this thread further than this, the country is indeed a jungle and I can say it before your president, deal with it, l won't dignify you with another response on this subject matter, enjoy your day cool

7 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:53pm On Sep 26, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Not anyone in particular but just like to stick up for the new guys.
I hate “them” calling new guys cheap because they come on here fo figure out if the quotes that they’re getting is on par.
I especially detest the “if you don’t buy from me then you deserve to get fake products” crew. That’s just sanctimonious bull excrement.
But for this your thread I’ll be a good political correct boy as you’ve trained me.
The rofo rofo thread still dey sha grin

Got you Brother. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 6:55pm On Sep 26, 2017
oyb:

but - if you are not a subject matter expert, how do you know they are giving you the right foundation?
how do you know it is the right depth, compaction, mix, blinding, filling, waterproofing etc?
no be naija?

Nobody (most clients) are not experts on building...otherwise theywould be contractors! grin grin
What one need to do is to BE PREPARED by studying/researching as much as possible, on each stage of the build.
Armed with your Architect drawing, depth and size of foundation would have been specified. It is there in the details.
On this thread alone, you will find not less than three posts where mix-ratio for foundation of various types (I remember one particular one by Abdulwastecx and one by Spyder that l have saved over two or three years ago).
With simple knowledge of mathematics and a lot of hardwork mixed with patience, you can calculate the volume of all imputs (and using their densities, get their size in Kg, bags or tonnage.
Yes, it took m some days to calculate everything but once it was done on a spreadsheet, l could easily change it when necessary, just by swapping figures and the result just spill out on 'Total line'.

I think someone with a similar hands-on approach is @Egunmogaji though he used his (on my own observation), mostly with Costing of his project

I did it for Truck-Loads of Granite, Stone dust, Sand, Cement, Iron Rods and it was very accurate.

When the bricklayers start mixing thing for me and deviate, l just tell them: Pls dont, ....just stick to what l told you.
Small time, the Engineers on other building sites around begin to call me Engineer (not knowing l am the owner! grin grin )
It was so much fun to watch other aspiring house-owners around see my foundation and exclaim: Wow, l wish mine was like this .

It is not something for the faint-hearted, you have tobe committed and be someone who takes pride in what you do (as against just dishing out money for others to do it for you). It takes time and energy but did l enjoy myself? You bet l did.

In summary, what we have on this thread (despite all the mud) is worth more than you can get in any Single Textbook because the knowledge was spilled by experts, those who work in the field and intelligent people with experience.
If you can take the time to siff through it, you will realise that there is an ANWER to EVERY QUESTION you may have on building.

No, you dont need to be an expert but you will become someone close to being called a 'fake expert' if you are smart and can make good use of all the information on this thread. You just need to be focused and dedicated to what you want to acheive.
If l can build a two storey building (after all drawings have been done by qualified experts (Arch, M & E Engineers, e.t.c) from scratch and it is acclaimed to be solid by COREN Engineers (friends though) and still standing without any defect till today, in a very challeneging environment, then l am qualified to be called "fake expert/Engineer". grin grin
Yes, l am still 'fake' since l did not go to a formal school to acquire formal certifications in it. undecided undecided undecided

**** Do you know l got a job offer to erect a building, when l was almost done with mine and the Client has been coming around to watch me working on my own, not knowing l am a bloody Client like him? Because all the Artisans and people around suddenly start addressing me as "Engineer". Even the Govt "building Control" people called me Engineer, when they wanted to come and do "as usual" shocked shocked
I simply declined because l felt l was not ready to experiment with someones building and the time it took me for mine, was no longer available. I just tear race. grin grin grin ***

You can do it,

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
Daboomb:

Nobody (most clients) are not experts on building...otherwise theywould be contractors! grin grin
What one need to do is to BE PREPARED by studying/researching as much as possible, on each stage of the build.
Armed with your Architect drawing, depth and size of foundation would have been specified. It is there in the details.
On this thread alone, you will find not less than three posts where mix-ratio for foundation of various types (I remember one particular one by Abdulwastecx and one by Spyder that l have saved over two or three years ago).
With simple knowledge of mathematics and a lot of hardwork mixed with patience, you can calculate the volume of all imputs (and using their densities, get their size in Kg, bags or tonnage.
Yes, it took m some days to calculate everything but once it was done on a spreadsheet, l could easily change it when necessary, just by swapping figures and the result just spill out on 'Total line'.

I think someone with a similar hands-on approach is @Egunmogaji though he used his (on my own observation), mostly with Costing of his project

I did it for Truck-Loads of Granite, Stone dust, Sand, Cement, Iron Rods and it was very accurate.

When the bricklayers start mixing thing for me and deviate, l just tell them: Pls dont, ....just stick to what l told you.
Small time, the Engineers on other building sites around begin to call me Engineer (not knowing l am the owner! grin grin )
It was so much fun to watch other aspiring house-owners around see my foundation and exclaim: Wow, l wish mine was like this .

It is not something for the faint-hearted, you have tobe committed and be someone who takes pride in what you do (as against just dishing out money for others to do it for you). It takes time and energy but did l enjoy myself? You bet l did.

In summary, what we have on this thread (despite all the mud) is worth more than you can get in any Single Textbook because the knowledge was spilled by experts, those who work in the field and intelligent people with experience.
If you can take the time to siff through it, you will realise that there is an ANWER to EVERY QUESTION you may have on building.

No, you dont need to be an expert but you will become someone close to being called a 'fake expert' if you are smart and can make good use of all the information on this thread. You just need to be focused and dedicated to what you want to acheive.
If l can build a two storey building (after all drawings have been done by qualified experts (Arch, M & E Engineers, e.t.c) from scratch and it is acclaimed to be solid by COREN Engineers (friends though) and still standing without any defect till today, in a very challeneging environment, then l am qualified to be called "fake expert/Engineer". grin grin
Yes, l am still 'fake' since l did not go to a formal school to acquire formal certifications in it. undecided undecided undecided

**** Do you know l got a job offer to erect a building, when l was almost done with mine and the Client has been coming around to watch me working on my own, not knowing l am a bloody Client like him? Because all the Artisans and people around suddenly start addressing me as "Engineer". Even the Govt "building Control" people called me Engineer, when they wanted to come and do "as usual" shocked shocked
I simply declined because l felt l was not ready to experiment with someones building and the time it took me for mine, was no longer available. I just tear race. grin grin grin ***

You can do it,

You are right Sir.

I knew I could never be onsite consistently to monitor to a minute detail of measuring mixes. I trusted my bricklayer for that,

What I did was order and track all purchases.

I did abandon my spreadsheet though because it turned me into a slave. It’s supposed to be fun.

Incidentally I ordered Quickbooks a few months back so that I can really get into commercial General Contracting in my retirement.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 7:35pm On Sep 26, 2017
olumide4christ:

@ the bolded
I made my statements based on my experience with artisans, also the experience of other professionals I know of. You may have a different experience with artisans...but I spoke based on what I know and have seen in the industry.

I have no qualms with it.
I think a couple of persons are in to misunderstand my posts.

Based on whatever metric unit of measurement corresponding to a unit price the artisan will not fall short of his output that will correspond to his minimum daily take home pay and an artisan will not collect less for more work except in the instance that he alone is doing the entire work or they are less in number doing the work so that at the end of the day his take home is desirably achieved.

It is only in the instance where the paying client does not know the output to be achieved by the artisan that the artisan smiles like Angelina Jolie.

I think the prices so far quoted on the thread will serve like a guide for a paying client who requested for a quote from the contractor-professional and a DIY client too in order to bargain with his artisans.

Let us move on.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:51pm On Sep 26, 2017
oyb:

no be naija?
First project
I didn't do a contractor
Had had family friend that is a big time contractor sent one of his people as a supervisor
paid daily rate of 5k
I used 16mm for my pillars , lot of people said I should have used 12mm
A friend working on two flat with two bedroom, storage and suite bathroom, gave it the a contractor
Just labor from foundation, setting block, pillars, beam and parapet for 380k
my friend will paid for carpenter, iron bender
filling and labor
He had 14 pillars carpenter and iron bender said it was to much pillars- I say no we will go with 14 pillars
The contractor set two block blower than, second opinion said I need two block to the DPC
I have ask the contractor to go add two more block before filling
Building a house in Nigeria u have to be willing to learn
I was watching somebody doing plastering job
I call the person supervising the job and said his dude need to build this stuff up in three phase
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 7:54pm On Sep 26, 2017
Daboomb:

There are jobs that need minute detailing (as in 'fine-finish') and pains-taking attention.
In such jobs, l personally will not want a 'rush-rush' Artisan that is mostly concerned with finishig as quickly as possible.
I would rather he takes his time and do a perfect finish.

In daily-paid job, the problem most people have (and why it does not work for them) is that they themselves have no idea what the job involves or entails and hence, cant break it down into "daily modules or chunks" that is fair to the artisan and to themselves such that each person adheres to the job schedule and time frame.
I had work with a particular bricklayer on a daily basis for about three weeks.
It was a finishing stage and each morning, l usually detail what he needed to do for him and paid him 4k on daily basis.
Infact, l so much enjoyed his job that l do not even have to look over my shoulders or inspect what he was doing, after awhile.
At times, he even goes further than what l expect (maybe l forgot something and he saw it and thought it was necessary, to make his work complete).

***Most Artisans are not exactly like him and l have met tens of crazy ones, along the line, so he could just be an exception**** undecided

Paid experience supervisor it is about 5k daily
Have a Engineer to stop there at all phase
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:

First project
I didn't do a contractor
Had had family friend that is a big time contractor sent one of his people as a supervisor
paid daily rate of 5k
A friend working on two flat with two bedroom, storage and suite bathroom, gave it the a contractor
filling and labor
He had 14 pillars carpenter and iron bender said it was to much pillars- I say no we will go with 14 pillars
The contractor set two block blower than, second opinion said I need two block to the DPC
I call the person supervising the job and said his dude need to build this stuff up in three phase

Unfortunately it is another Nigerian story where you have to abandon your main business to close mark contractors.

What you're saying applies to everything. Car phone, pc, generator, house etc.

You are forever to burn so much energy that could be better applied in creating value within your own talent pool.

It's sad.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:01pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:

First project
I didn't do a contractor
paid daily rate of 5k
filling and labor

If your build is in the manner of a storey building outlook then the usage of 16mm is in the right direction.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Daboomb: 8:04pm On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Naa Busbar, Thanks man.
Something when person no sabi naa learn he go learn.
Thanks again

You are welcome.
We are all learning, it never ends.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:05pm On Sep 26, 2017
bixton:

If your build is in the manner of a storey building outlook then the usage of 16mm is in the right direction.

If you don't have experience or a big time contractor 80% of the time in Benin it is 12mm
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:08pm On Sep 26, 2017
twinskenny:

To plaster in and out??��

Yes Sir,
Inside plastering
Outside plastering
Window hoods
Window and door dressing
Parapet plastering
Under decking dressing
Rough plastering for all toilet and kitchen walls (floor to ceiling)
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bixton(m): 8:14pm On Sep 26, 2017
GoodFaith:

If you don't have experience or a big time contractor 80% of the time in Benin it is 12mm

You did not mention the nature of your build.

Anything in the manner of a storey building/duplex, for columns, decking beams.........its R16.

Bungalows------R12.

(1) (2) (3) ... (783) (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) ... (3694) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kopell and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.