Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,178 members, 7,860,234 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:09 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (787) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4498654 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) (790) ... (3693) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 8:16pm On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Maybewam not getting it as the equipment should be called.
I don't want to do 3 wire connections(9wires) From the pole to each of the flats but rather one wire connection (3 wires) From the Nepa pole and the equipment Makes it easier to connect to the 3 Prepaid Meter.
What's the equipment I can use and cost of such an equipment?

Yes, chief i believe you're mistaken.
From your description what you are in need of is a Busbar Chamber.

Busbar chambers can be used to distribute (so to speak) power to sections of a multi unit building when they share an incoming supply cable.
That said, I honestly don't see the point of having a busbar for just 3 units of one-bed apartments. Unless of course you don't mind the expenditure. The smallest size of busbar commercially available is 100A , coming at 30-35k for Indian brands like Havells, and upwards of that for brands like ABB EATON etc.
You can however find a way around it with the intelligent use of fuse units (cutout). If your elect is proactive.

Are the meter points for the three units in the same location or is each situated in the individual apartment ?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:19pm On Sep 26, 2017
bixton:

You did not mention the nature of your build.

Anything in the manner of a storey building/duplex, for columns, decking beams.........its R16.

Bungalows------R12.

Four flat used 16 mm
Bungalows used 12mm

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 8:23pm On Sep 26, 2017
Four flats
Walls plastering
Bags 295 of cement @ 2200----------------N649,000
labor Per flat-----@ 60,000---------------N240,000
parapet plastering--------------------------N85,0000
ceiling downstairs-------------------------N80,000
Out plastering----------------------------N120,000
stairway- front and back--------------------N40,000
sharp sand---------------11 trips-----------N165,000
Cut the rods---------------------------------N50,000
Make the wall concrete-----------------------N50,000
finish up maintenance----skyfold holes-----N16,000
I am very unhappy with the total bags of cements
I bought 175,
brother bought 120 for the outside walls, stairways and one flat
Art man use some of the cemets
Carpenter skyfold work mainanatence--------------N36,000 or less
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Skyfold bought more wood for skyfold------N56,000.00

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by back2sender: 8:28pm On Sep 26, 2017
allCopacetic:

Yes, chief i believe you're mistaken.
From your description what you are in need of is a Busbar Chamber.

Busbar chambers can be used to distribute (so to speak) power to sections of a multi unit building when they share an incoming supply cable.
That said, I honestly don't see the point of having a busbar for just 3 units of one-bed apartments. Unless of course you don't mind the expenditure. The smallest size of busbar commercially available is 100A , coming at 30-35k for Indian brands like Havells, and upwards of that for brands like ABB EATON etc.
You can however find a way around it with the intelligent use of fuse units (cutout). If your elect is proactive.

Are the meter points for the three units in the same location or is each situated in the individual apartment ?
Thanks Oga mow, this gotten thinking I can have all the meter in one section just like you just asked and the cut out. This is why I love this thread, knowledge abounds here
Many thanks to Dabomb , allcopacetic, twinkenny for coming to my rescue rescue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Timtol(m): 8:31pm On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Thanks Oga mow, this gotten thinking I can have all the meter in one section just like you just asked and the cut out. This is why I love this thread, knowledge abounds here
Great!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by allCopacetic: 8:43pm On Sep 26, 2017
back2sender:

Happy to help Chief.

Your meters don't have to be together by the way, You can apply the fuse units method and still have your meters located anywhere you want. You just need to decide which is more efficient (neater, cost effective etc) for you.

The key thing is the supply is going to go from one set of fuse units to the other (Using 16mm alum or even the same size of load cable if you still have some left) then go from the fuse
units to the meter. So you're looking at 3 sets of fuse units (totalling 9) and 3 neutral connectors.

If you had individual supply cables for all the meters it wouldn't be a must for the supply to enter the fuse units first. It can enter either the meters first or fuse units ( Which in this case act as phase changers or phase selectors)

But since you have only one supply cables it cannot enter the meter first.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by adanny01(m): 9:34pm On Sep 26, 2017
Talking about labour costing, how good is N80,000 for floor screeding/tiling and N40,000 for PVC or cement fibre ceiling for a 190sqm house?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 9:46pm On Sep 26, 2017
spyder880:

I also commend him for that approach in cost determination and want to say that I used a lot of those methods in years past. He is using the method we call "daily pay/counting" method to do the calculations, I also used the space measurement approach , it's either I calculate in "partitions" or in "square metres" . Now I estimate plastering in "whole" contracting. Let me explain.

Daily pay method.

This is the method of plastering where the owner or supervisor gives out the job of plastering to artisans by paying them daily, with a predetermined amount of money. The person serving the plastering guy will also be paid daily. This is the oldest method I met in the field. The older artisans were doing great works with it, until lazy people made that method inefficient. People started coming to work late, with boxes of snuff, and will take a snuff break after about every 30 minutes just to delay the work. Ditto for smoking break, breakfast and lunch breaks, even long phone call breaks. We had to change the system, if not, these men can keep working on a house for one year!

The partition/square meter counting methods.

We had to quickly change to the counting method and it solved a lot of delays in the previous method, but could be disastrous if not well monitored. You give out the work by counting partitions (every 12 feet) and agreeing a rate for the plastering. The artisan could pay his server and up the rates or you agree a rate with the helpers too. The artisans will usually go for the easy places first. The places they can do while standing on the ground. They will change the tone as soon as those soft areas finish, they will start singing another song, you have to renegotiate for the part on scaffolding, the bottom of the decking, corners and edges, parapets, dressings and designs. This could be tricky, and many artisans abandon the project at this difficult stage. We had to do something again.

The whole house contract

This method will mean you do your own due calculations, determine the number of walls, inside and outside, points to note are the tricky areas, style of designs and the expected challenges. Then you find an artisan and negotiate cost of plastering. A whole sum will be agreed to and you pay them according to what they have done. You can then easily supervise their quality and speed of work.

Let me add here that the quality of work done in Nigeria is always shambolic, not only in the plastering or building sector, a Nigerian administrator is usually a perpetual under performer, a Nigerian medical doctor will give you a terrible service if you are not a good paying client, a Nigerian motor mechanic will damage your fine car and still demand you pay him, and it goes on and on. I think it's the system, the system that makes it easy for people to manipulate the system. Our duty should be to identify those workers who have shown an interest for quality works, to retain them and pay them better as an incentive to future quality works, we also need to retrain workers and show them the latest methods of doing things better.

This is a very beautiful piece and it is very helpful to have gone through the memory lane.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 11:12pm On Sep 26, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Dude, how far? grin

I still need to get this done too on my padlock garage, so if anybody is in Ibadan, holla.
Bros I dey o. it's been a while. please let me know if you get someone that could do this. I need to do it asap. I have a tenant that wants to move in this weekend and I need to fix the shield for the doors and windows at least. I can do water pipe connectors later

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by TBrownAuto(m): 1:08am On Sep 27, 2017
GoodFaith:
Four flats
Walls plastering
Bags 295 of cement @ 2200----------------N649,000
labor Per flat-----@ 60,000---------------N240,000
parapet plastering--------------------------N85,0000
ceiling downstairs-------------------------N80,000
Out plastering----------------------------N120,000
stairway- front and back--------------------N40,000
sharp sand---------------11 trips-----------N165,000
Cut the rods---------------------------------N50,000
Make the wall concrete-----------------------N50,000
finish up maintenance----skyfold holes-----N16,000
I am very unhappy with the total bags of cements
I bought 175,
brother bought 120 for the outside walls, stairways and one flat
Art man use some of the cemets
Carpenter skyfold work mainanatence--------------N36,000 or less
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Skyfold bought more wood for skyfold------N56,000.00

what is the name of cement you bought for 2200

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by bereiweris(m): 10:37am On Sep 27, 2017
Good morning ogas in the house jst thinking to myself are there any disadvantages in using hollow blocks for your building (bungalow).
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 11:52am On Sep 27, 2017
bereiweris:
Good morning ogas in the house jst thinking to myself are there any disadvantages in using hollow blocks for your building (bungalow).

None whatever. In the past I heard excuses like it needed to be strong so nobody can break the walls and enter to burgle the house. But it's not a very valid reason. Please use your hollow blocks.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by GoodFaith: 1:01pm On Sep 27, 2017
TBrownAuto:

what is the name of cement you bought for 2200

Your question should have being
when was this project done
This project was done in November 2016

Decking cements --May 2016
Cement---200--------at--N1550-----------N310,000--- Likely
Your question now should be What is the name of iron I bought

Decking
16mm rod--------60 at N1750----------N105,000.00
12mm rod-----400--at N900--------N360,000 or N315,000.00
8mm rod-------60----at--N700------------N 45,000
Cement---200--------at--N1550-----------N310,000
add cements--------5 bag--at---1700-----N8,000
Granite --60 tone-----------------------N310,000
Sand------------------------------------N60,000.00
Binding wire-----2----------------------N 10,500
-----------------------------------------N 0000
2------------------------------ at 250---N 00000
Descking casting------------------------N125,000
Iron bender---- -----------------------N110,000
bamboo----------------------------------N 36,000
Carpenter------------------------------N120,000
Electrcian------------------------------N55,000
wood------used-------------------------N130,000.00
wood------------used--------------------N130,000
wood------------------------------------N230,00
General exp-----------------------------N80,000
nails, transportion,hose, enginerr,

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 2:06pm On Sep 27, 2017
spyder880:

None whatever. In the past I heard excuses like it needed to be strong so nobody can break the walls and enter to burgle the house. But it's not a very valid reason. Please use your hollow blocks.

my understanding is that is all they use in benin where the robbers are . . .
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by fash78(m): 2:13pm On Sep 27, 2017
fash78:

Bros I dey o. it's been a while. please let me know if you get someone that could do this. I need to do it asap. I have a tenant that wants to move in this weekend and I need to fix the shield for the doors and windows at least. I can do water pipe connectors later
These are some samples of shield that I got @Egun. I have not called the guy for prices though. Guys what is the range of prices for these window and door shields?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 2:17pm On Sep 27, 2017
fash78:

These are some samples of shield that I got @Egun. I have not called the guy for prices though. Guys what is the range of prices for these window and door shields?
They look portable and nice, it seems they are screwed to the wall.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by jabolo(m): 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2017
AngelicBeing:
They look portable and nice, it seems they are screwed to the wall.

When new ... in a few years, exposed to the elements, they will look manky and horrible and you can't wait to get rid of them with their Algae colonies.

Don't see the point myself.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 2:59pm On Sep 27, 2017
jabolo:

When new ... in a few years, exposed to the elements, they will look manky and horrible and you can't wait to get rid of them with their Algae colonies.

I think this is made of Aluminium and plastic to the weather ain't gonna do much damage to it in that sense . .so it could be cleaned I guess

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 6:47pm On Sep 27, 2017
oyb:

my understanding is that is all they use in benin where the robbers are . . .
Haba, why will you think Benin as most of the robbers in Naija. That is not fear to our brothers in Benin oh.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:52pm On Sep 27, 2017
kopell:
Haba, why will you think Benin as most of the robbers in Naija. That is not fear to our brothers in Benin oh.

I chose not to complete the sentence. Fill in with cray, hardcore, do or die, psycho...
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 6:56pm On Sep 27, 2017
fash78:

This is lovely though.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 7:12pm On Sep 27, 2017
oyb:

I chose not to complete the sentence. Fill in with cray, hardcore, do or die, psycho...
?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:14pm On Sep 27, 2017
mufutau55:

This is lovely though.

Hajji M.

I concur, Sir.

I'm now fully convinced that everything required to make a befitting structure is now in Nigeria. Fully convinced.

Even the burglary wire on the fence gives me wood.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by AngelicBeing: 9:31pm On Sep 27, 2017
jabolo:

Oh really?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 11:17pm On Sep 27, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I concur, Sir.
I'm now fully convinced that everything required to make a befitting structure is now in Nigeria. Fully convinced.
Even the burglary wire on the fence gives me wood.

I can see that fence o, I had to zoom on it.
Yes, anything you want for building materials can be had in Nigeria now; you just need to have the money.

Hajji M.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:58am On Sep 28, 2017
Can anyone guess the dimension of the footprint of this house?

Thanks.

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 5:04am On Sep 28, 2017
looks like 11m 5.5
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by raymondFirstborn(m): 5:04am On Sep 28, 2017
or probably 10m x 5m
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by alstacs(m): 5:32am On Sep 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

10x6m

I have no reasons for the guess oh
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kolnel: 5:34am On Sep 28, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Thanks.

40*20 ft
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by tsiriman(m): 9:56am On Sep 28, 2017
mavverick:

I think you should get an independent electrician, and go with the person to the shop, also ask around. I definitely used ABB made in England or so. And it was what was recommended to me by electrician and also the supplier.

Please where did you get this ABB DB that is made in England?

(1) (2) (3) ... (784) (785) (786) (787) (788) (789) (790) ... (3693) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kaze4blues(m), TornApart, Kurupt01

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.