Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,253 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:00 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4399004 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (3668) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 6:33pm On Aug 28, 2015
erico2k2:

Me want Origin. I discovered that drink December last year grin grin

Too much sugar grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 28, 2015
erico2k2:

It works like magic I have done this b4.U can check youtube. Cement and sand mix proper. How do you think they do it I. The west to lay brick?I'm at wrk wen I gt home I will post you a clip on here

Yeah we use it to mix mortar here all the time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 6:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
gabbytabby:

There is a block maker close to me in ajah his block are of good quality he uses cement sharp, granite dust, machine mixers also his blocks are 180 for 9 Inches and 160 for 6 inches. I would rather use this any day than the 150 and 130 that you find in ipaja ayobo who use myias and dagbolu.

I need to find someone like this in Ibadan. I wish to use that kind of block at least for my foundation and safe room.

How did he earn your trust factor that the block will be consistently well made?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
@ paeceland;"U" clip is normal used at 4 sided of the area you want to install the pvc ceiling also "H" is used where there is joint (mainly at the middle or where one pvc end then another one will start from there..)
"L" clip always used on pillar
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 6:57pm On Aug 28, 2015
Using of one water heater for 2 toilet or a big central water heater (80 or 120 lts) for a duplex, flat...etc, this safe money also

3 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

You're very right. I have an electric mixer used for that purpose. Mixing concrete for interlock stones, small lintel works and mortar mixes. But the bricklayers didn't find this easy.
there you go, let me ask, how did you face the challenge of power during outage or low current??
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:59pm On Aug 28, 2015
twinskenny:

Too much sugar grin
take that one we push me I push you mix inside grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
rotecch77:
Using of one water heater for 2 toilet or a big central water heater (80 or 120 lts) for a duplex, flat...etc, this safe money also

Good point.

What I'm doing is also harnessing the power of the sun to heat (well actually warm) water. So for EWT, there will be two tanks, one of them will be constructed from aluminum which will get its content warmed natural by the sun. So you get lukewarm water to all areas except for areas that need hot water. One pipe will go to a central water heater that will then feed to the areas that try need hot water, kitchen and laundry. The sole small central heater will not work as hard and be efficient since it's already starting with warm water from the aluminum water tank outside.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 28, 2015
I invite all participants on this thread to watch this video, I especially challenge the builders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bmNwva6jEY

Subscribe to the channel.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:29pm On Aug 28, 2015
erico2k2:

there you go, let me ask, how did you face the challenge of power during outage or low current??

I have dedicated generator in almost all my sites. Power outage is never an issue. The generator power our work tools and provide constant power to our resident workmen.

We've made this a part of the business since 2012 and 90% of our projects can attest to this.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:41pm On Aug 28, 2015
rotecch77:

Will be more interested in the central water heater. Tell me about it.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 8:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

I have dedicated generator in almost all my sites. Power outage is never an issue. The generator power our work tools and provide constant power to our resident workmen.

We've made this a part of the business since 2012 and 90% of our projects can attest to this.
nice one.,By law on site tools in the Uk are 110V

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

*cough* kolashangone *cough*

"Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it." James A. Baldwin

I'm sure that it's included in your construction fees and your clients won't mind as we all know the epileptic nature of power in Nigeria and there project won't stall because of NEPA.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:16pm On Aug 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

"Those who say it can't be done are usually interrupted by others doing it." James A. Baldwin

I'm sure that it's included in your construction fees and your clients won't mind as we all know the epileptic nature of power in Nigeria and there project won't stall because of NEPA.

Anything that can make us remain relevant in the most competitive market we do without second thought.

Check my projects on NL from 2012. We were doing night work and I discovered my workmen are motivated not just because we paid them on time but because we treat them as human. Even when we went as far as Ondo, we still have our own generator and all the power tools.

We call it service. Clients should have all this from a builder. Those little things separate us from Baba Mulika the bricklayer.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:22pm On Aug 28, 2015
For instance, I just picked one of my generator from a project that went sour yesterday. The generator was on the project for 4 months and there has never been an issue of power supply. We try as much as possible to eliminate possible point of failures by doing so.

I'll rather spend 40k to give service to my clients than spend it at the bar which is the usual tradition here. "Owo meji loke fun engineer yen"

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
erico2k2:

It works like magic I have done this b4.U can check youtube. Cement and sand mix proper. How do you think they do it I. The west to lay brick?I'm at wrk wen I gt home I will post you a clip on here

Is the bucket made of iron too?
Has any Builder here tried it?
Maybe the fact that some of our sharpsand here contains mud or clay makes it stick. Lagos has better sharpsand though..

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:35pm On Aug 28, 2015
erico2k2:

Me want Origin. I discovered that drink December last year grin grin

Its too sweet just like @twinskenny said.. That was what I said too when but after 1 bo, 2 bo, 3 bo... I couldn't leave the bottle. That drink is addictive..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:49pm On Aug 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I'm sure that it's included in your construction fees and your clients won't mind as we all know the epileptic nature of power in Nigeria and there project won't stall because ofra

Hahahaha.. Trust me Sir, a generator is the smallest thing ever. I didn't say I don't have. I was just presenting another view to these suggestions..factors militating against builders.. I was playing the devils advocate everyone didn't wanna play. I dont just concur to everything and I think that makes me unique..

I have acquired a lot of these equipments. But not everyone can.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
@all homeowner,

Fixed Cost or Cost Plus Contract: Which will you prefer and why?

With a Cost Plus contract, the cost of all materials, labour and an agreed upon percentage applied on all items is charged. The homeowner assumes the risk of unexpected expenses and cost over runs. Cost Plus contract if well managed should cost you less since the builder and subtrades do not need to pad their prices for the unexpected or unknown.

Fixed-price contracts gives the final figure you will pay for your home including change orders. The builder will assume the risk of the unexpected and unknown but will need to pad some prices to cover the possible surprises. You will pay more for the peace of mind.

Help us serve you better!
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 8:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

I need to find someone like this in Ibadan. I wish to use that kind of block at least for my foundation and safe room.

How did he earn your trust factor that the block will be consistently well made?

Oga sir, she's obviously not there when it was being made so you kinda have to trust the maker. Assuming U want to do all the 5000+ blocks at once, I will move my machine there.. But then you have a short timeline..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Oga sir, she's obviously not there when it was being made so you kinda have to trust the maker. Assuming U want to do all the 5000+ blocks at once, I will move my machine there.. But then you have a short timeline..

With the captive audience that you have here my Oga (I refer you to Elder Mufutau for the prior definition given grin ) you should have shown us your process for making these blocks, your ratio, what they look like, pictures and most important of all the prices. I am hoping that you have a sliding scale for prices such as 1-500 = Nx. 501 - 1,500 = Nx-y, 1501 - 5,000= Nx-yy.

Also why do you have to make it on my site, does this equate to lower cost in total? You know I'm a forensic accountant so I have to look at everything, doesn't mean I'm cheap or champagne taste client with beer budget, but I am Ijebu man - "Esowo" grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:
@all homeowner,

Fixed Cost or Cost Plus Contract: Which will you prefer and why?

With a Cost Plus contract, the cost of all materials, labour and an agreed upon percentage applied on all items is charged. The homeowner assumes the risk of unexpected expenses and cost over runs. Cost Plus contract if well managed should cost you less since the builder and subtrades do not need to pad their prices for the unexpected or unknown.

Fixed-price contracts gives the final figure you will pay for your home including change orders. The builder will assume the risk of the unexpected and unknown but will need to pad some prices to cover the possible surprises. You will pay more for the peace of mind.

Help us serve you better!

Neither or perhaps a blend.

I work best when I'involved in the process of what's to be one of the most expensive thing I'll be doing in my lifetime. I simply just can't sign a contract and hand over a check.

Perhaps your outfit doesn't offer that but I always like to work as the general contractor. The site is mine and the artisans are only coming in to perform specific functions using the materials that I've sourced.

It's all about project management and there are specific softwares made for the building industry that helps track what is due when and by whom.

I will admit that it's not for everybody, both clients and builders, so the correct client/builder synergy must be cultivated.

By the way, Skimanski said that this will cost the client more, I disagree with him most vehemently but that is his companies policy. It has been proven to save tremendous amount of money and the artisan can be relieved of at least one part of the stress of the project, material sourcing. Also the end result will be much better in my opinion, better in the sense that the materials that fits the lifestyle of the owner will be chosen instead of a 3rd party making those decisions.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by rotecch77(m): 9:38pm On Aug 28, 2015
@brabus; the water heater will be stationed inside the roof (80lts preferable... although it depends on the toilets it will serve, but 80lts can serve 6 toilets) more so the over head tank must be higher than the level of the heater so that it can function very well. Also there is an instant water heater that can do this also it's just that it doesn't retains water and without light you can't use it, unlike 10,20.30lts etc that you can boiled water and retained it

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 9:53pm On Aug 28, 2015
@Sir EgunMogaji,

You remind me of Obesere's song. "Egungun be careful, na express you dey go."

My Oga Skimanski is speaking from experience. And I cannot agree less.

Many times some ideas works best on paper and are easier said than done.
I got into one of my clients bad side when I told him He can take up his project from where we left off and keep the savings for himself. The next thing I see is vicious attack online. I'm still waiting for the savings and side by side comparison of how much was saved in time, quality and money when we were doing the job and when the client took over. That may never come and it doesn't matter. Deep down, we all know the difference even though we can't admit.

I visited a project site this morning and I'm like why do we like playing "games" with our hard-earned monies. While I did all round beams during my Slab-work according to structural drawing specification, a new contractor did something different and the client is happy he's been involved and dictating orders. Who am I to complain? It's my money not yours.

I have another client who wanted to see all the happenings by himself and was been ill-adviced by friends and relatives on what to do. The type of sand, the build approach, what's important and what's not. At the end the builder is to be blamed even for a project he didn't have direct control on. Wetin we never see?

I know you can do it sir. It's just matter of getting the priorities right and opening your eyes wide. The 3 projects above have one thing in common. They are all a blend of the two (cost-plus and fixed-cost contract) like you wanted. A blend of the two as in builder do this, I do this and we achieve result.
Something like, builder bring marine boards for the floor, I'll bring planks for the beams, bamboo and the nails.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 10:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:

Is the bucket made of iron too?
Has any Builder here tried it?
Maybe the fact that some of our sharpsand here contains mud or clay makes it stick. Lagos has better sharpsand though..
check the pic brabus posted.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:
@Sir EgunMogaji,

You remind me of Obesere's song. "Egungun be careful, na express you dey go."

"But this modern Egungun will take the express and turn it into a carpark grin )

My Oga Skimanski is speaking from experience. And I cannot agree less.

"Duly noted. I should expect that since you are in the same industry"

Many times some ideas works best on paper and are easier said than done.

"Only when it's not properly conceptualized. We shouldn't celebrate those but learn from it and improve the process'.

I got into one of my clients bad side when I told him He can take up his project from where we left off and keep the savings for himself. The next thing I see is vicious attack online. I'm still waiting for the savings and side by side comparison of how much was saved in time, quality and money when we were doing the job and when the client took over. That may never come and it doesn't matter. Deep down, we all know the difference even though we can't admit.

"That one example proves my point that it's not for everyone. Customer is always right is a cute little slogan. Customer is not always right and as a business owner myself knowing when to respectfully decline a client is an art."

I visited a project site this morning and I'm like why do we like playing "games" with our hard-earned monies. While I did all round beams during my Slab-work according to structural drawing specification, a new contractor did something different and the client is happy he's been involved and dictating orders. Who am I to complain? It's my money not yours.

"That's the very thing I talked about previously. When the client is involved he gets to make changes that fits his lifestyle better as he is the final consumer. The difference is that those changes needs to fit into the overall scheme and not be dangerous. Personally I don't make changes on the fly. I don't have to because I take my time on paper and make all my changes on paper before I apply shovel to dirt, it ends up being cheaper and less frustrating to artisans on the project"

I have another client who wanted to see all the happenings by himself and was been ill-adviced by friends and relatives on what to do. The type of sand, the build approach, what's important and what's not. At the end the builder is to be blamed even for a project he didn't have direct control on. Wetin we never see?

"That is unfair that the builder is blamed for materials that he did not supply. I salute the client for soliciting advices, but at the end he is the person that has the final decision and should own the end result of his decisions. This does not mean that others are not more astute than him and we should not blame the process of soliciting advices".

I know you can do it sir.

"Oh yes I can and I will. Building a house is a small deal. I specifically designed a simple structure, no curves, most walls end in non fractional lengths, etc grin ).

It's just matter of getting the priorities right and opening your eyes wide. The 3 projects above have one thing in common. They are all a blend of the two (cost-plus and fixed-cost contract) like you wanted. A blend of the two as in builder do this, I do this and we achieve result.

"You're right Sir. I think as many Londoners/Americanas come home then you'll probably see more of these types of blended approach to home building".

Something like, builder bring marine boards for the floor, I'll bring planks for the beams, bamboo and the nails.

"For me what I would want is the contractor to bring his crew and equipment to the site. I don't need a project manager (that's me) and I'll supply ALL the materials. I expect lots of builders to balk at the ideas but I do not expect ANY builder to say that they will charge me more. That goes against everything I know about development."

A perfect example for me is this thread https://www.nairaland.com/1866351/making-4-units-duplex-iyana-iba-lagos for me it shows a client and builder that is intend.

See my responses embedded in your post.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 11:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
I'll try to find an episode of Grand Designs (British home building show on YouTube).

On this episode the homeowner is the general contractor living in UK.

He contracted the foundation to be built by UK artisan, purchased a custom manufactured home from a germany (the germans trucked in the building, the crew drove up in a van and put up the house on the foundation in a week), other artisans came in for plumbing and electrical.

Folks, this is international coordination. It shouldn't be too hard to coordinate locally.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 11:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
Sir Egunmogaji,

Life will be more easier if we have more client like you. What that means is you're upfront with what you want right from the inception.

I need a builder and his equipment/tools of trade and not I need a quote for a house which you are fully aware you aren't prepared to let out as a full contract. You got started and start making a u-turn.

By clearly defining roles from the inception, you have set boundaries and rules/terms of service required. Such arrangement can never hit the brick.

But in case where you have to start changing terms/rules of engagement after commencement of the project, "that project get as e be"

We've had cases of people calling us for design work only. We've had cases of projects with supervisory roles only. We've had cases of people hiring NextHome truck or Marine boards for their project.

We don't have to be involved in everything.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 3:20am On Aug 29, 2015
Nice thread folks.....

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 7:22am On Aug 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:

lets just say I have used several others and none quite measures up. He is 2 mins walk from me and I have witnessed his progression over the years from introduction of granite to thru purchase of mixing machine.

To think that I started with him and then the bricklayer then said his blocks were not full and I later discovered it was because he will not deliver 700 instead of 1000 ordered.

They do this a lot and share the difference. That is the reason I now orderv the materials first before I invite workmen. Also I try not to let them know who I am buying the materials from cos they will approach the person and ask for a cut.

Only problem is he does not travel cos I tried to get him to come to ayobo and make all my blocks on site.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 7:36am On Aug 29, 2015
EgunMogaji:
I'll try to find an episode of Grand Designs (British home building show on YouTube).

On this episode the homeowner is the general contractor living in UK.

He contracted the foundation to be built by UK artisan, purchased a custom manufactured home from a germany (the germans trucked in the building, the crew drove up in a van and put up the house on the foundation in a week), other artisans came in for plumbing and electrical.

Folks, this is international coordination. It shouldn't be too hard to coordinate locally.

Love love this programme and other housing shows in the UK. Wish I had the money to do this full time.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:41am On Aug 29, 2015
Talking bricks and blocks, I wish I can be importing my blocks from Abeokuta. I can take a bet the blocks I used there can survive a 3m fall and the cost is simply amazing. N100 for 6" and N110 for 9"

Even their burnt bricks are super. Is there anyone who can attest to this? Or maybe I'm just lucky with the supplier?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (3668) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.