Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News (10508 Views)

What Eastern Leaders Should Do Right Now. / . / Sincere Solutions That Will End Biafransl Agitations For Biafra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by EasternLion: 9:57am On Aug 27, 2015
The growing clamour for independent Biafran state in the Eastern region and the menace of the radio Biafra is giving the federal government concerns as the Arewa Consultative Forum has accused Igbo leaders of fanning the embers of war and secession.

EZUGWU OBINNA reports

As a result of the increasing agitations for an independent state of Biafra mainly in the South East geopolitical zone in recent times, some political leaders in the zone have expressed their views on why the quest for Biafra has remained strong and ways of addressing it. They also point to the fundamental right of individuals or groups to air their grievances.

Pro-Biafran groups such as the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) led by Mr. Nnamdi Kanu, which is operating the intractable Radio Biafra, have intensified campaigns aimed at mobilizing mass support for the Biafra project.

Over the weekend, more than 6,000 members of IPOB marched in the streets of Asaba, Delta State capital with placards demanding Biafra freedom from Nigeria.

Radio Biafra anchored by the IPOB leader, Mr. Kanu has, speaking on the progress of the station, Mr. Kanu boasted of its followership, while promising that Biafra TV will equally be in the offing soon.

“Radio Biafra’s listenership indisputably remains awesome and continues to grow. In order to live up to the promise of making Radio Biafra signal ubiquitous – being in any and every platform imaginably possible for greater reach and easy access for humanity, Radio Biafra has once again re-launched itself on shortwave frequency. The kick-off is scheduled to tally with the debut of Biafra Television in this Month of August 2015,” he said in a statement.

“In fact, any moment from now or as you read this message, Radio Biafra will be making history by her august launch of the “Monster” Shortwave broadcasting as promised by Director Nnamdi Kanu.”

“Interestingly,” he continued, “Shortwave radio is used for long distance communication by means of skywave or skips propagation, in which the radio waves are reflected or refracted back to Earth from the ionosphere, allowing communication around the curve of the Earth.

“As a result, shortwave radio is used for broadcasting of voice and music, and long-distance communication to ships and aircraft, or to remote areas out of reach of wired communication or other radio services.”

Meanwhile, various Igbo leaders have attributed the growing quest for self determination to the perpetual marginalization of the South East in the Nigerian affairs, insisting that platforms like Radio Biafra is one of the ways people are voicing their discontent with the situation.

“The issue of this Radio Biafra is about marginalization of the South East; it is about the South East being voiceless; it is about South East not being recognized in the Nigerian context by the successive governments of the country. Jonathan’s government did not even do better for the zone. Go and look at the amount of money he spent in the various zones of the country, South East is the least. In some cases, four times less. You see the quest for Biafra nation and the broadcast is to tell Nigeria that South East exists, and it is a civil protest because they are not carrying arms. And therefore, the radio station should be legalized and its content regulated,” explained Chief Anselm Njoku, the leader of Igbo APC Lagos.

He added, “NBC should legalize it and regulate it so that they can talk about their people; talk about what they want. It is only when you have a way of ventilating your grievance that that grievance will not get combusted into crisis.

“If you are disallowed from expressing your grievance, this grievance will get combusted in you and by the time it explodes, it becomes crisis, it becomes war. So any section of the country that has any grievance to air should be allowed to air it in whatever medium, in as much as they are not violent and when you see such a situation, you call them and dialogue with them. What we would disagree with is a resort to violence. But there is nothing in the conduct of those agitating for Biafra that suggests they are violent or want to use violence the way Boko Haram has used violence over the years to kill human beings.

In his own remarks, one time governorship aspirant in Lagos State, Barr Okechukwu Okoroji insisted that those behind Radio Biafra have not hurt anyone and there should not be clamped down on them.

“I do not think the agitators for Biafra have killed anyone; I don’t know of anybody they have bombed, I don’t know of any region they have destroyed. So they need to be listened to, they may have legitimate demands; it is not just enough to clamp them down, because the truth is that you can suppress an idea but not one whose time has come. If the time has come for the idea that these people are talking about, you can only delay it; you cannot stop it,” Okoroji said.

“One is not by any means supporting insurgency, or dismemberment of the country, but justice must be done to all… regions; all people and all religious groups. If there are internal injustices, people will naturally agitate. And it is their constitutional right to agitate, forget about the nomenclature, whether it is called Biafra or it is called Oduduwa Republic or whatever. Those are mere nomenclatures in the mode of agitation. But I don’t think they have done anything unconstitutional so far to deserve any criminalization. Their demands should be looked into in the interest of Nigeria,” he concluded.

Also speaking, a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the South East, Mr. Abia Onyike noted that the quest for self determination was a fundamental human right and warned the Nigerian state against any further attempts to denigrate the Igbo nation.

“The quest for self determination is an inalienable right, and there is a specific provision in the United Nations Charter on Human and Peoples Rights which embodies in it that no human being or group should be oppressed to the extent that they are denied basic political rights. It has become eminently self evident in the Nigerian case that the Igbo people have been earmarked for not only extermination but also not to be allowed to be in charge of their own affairs,” he said.

“And you are talking about one of the 10 largest ethnic groups in the world. The Igbo ethnic nationality is large and substantial; it has enormous influence in the world. Any plans of emasculating and liquidating the Igbo; or marginalizing them, these are the things that give rise to the struggle for self determination, Onyike explained.

“I mean, it is a natural instinct. Even if you want to kill somebody, the person must struggle before being killed. It is natural. The rise in self determination struggle; the resurgence goes to demonstrate that the Igbo have not been integrated into the Nigerian state. And the way the leaders of Nigeria, especially the Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba hegemony have been behaving towards them shows that they want to enslave them, and as far as you continue to play politics of enslavement, they will continue to react; they will continue to revolt against it and the idea of Biafra will continue to be very popular among them,”

“And like I said before, the Igbo are very large group, not minding the national population census that has always been fraudulent and used as a strategy for exercising political hegemony. They don’t want to be scientific; they come with the politics of oppressing the Igbo ethnic nationality through census. But the actual population of the Igbo presently is about 75 million which makes it larger than the population of any other existing independent African country, including Ethiopia which is the highest after Nigeria.

He warned that, “It is thus foolhardy and very stupid for the Nigerian rulers to continue their old ways because the way it is now, you cannot oppress and pocket the Igbo and have peace in Nigeria. This is the point we are making because it is more than 10 times qualified to be an independent country. So we should not be relying on what Britain did over 100 years ago. It is no longer realistic. If you don’t want the Igbo, you grant them independence. Let them be on their own. In terms of territory, language, population, location and economic resources available, they are viable to become an independent nation. You cannot oppress them the way you want to oppress ethnic minorities. The leaders have to stop their primitive tactics of trying to oppress the Igbo otherwise there would be no peace in Nigeria.”

Also speaking on the resurgent of Biafra, Chief Udoka Udeogaranya, leader Igbo Cultural Society of Nigeria re-echoed Onyike’s assertion, noting that the UN had recognized people’s right to self determination.

“The United Nations has recognized the people’s right to self determination. Therefore, if any group of persons feels that their rights are not being protected by their government, they have a right to demand for self determination,” he said.

“It would come to a point when such would be decided in a referendum. Where people will have to decide for themselves whether they want a separate state or not, it was done in Scotland and the Scots decided to remain in Britain, that is the thing,” he stressed.

Meanwhile the Arewa Consultative Forum has lashed out at Igbo leaders and accused them of supporting the clamour for separatist Biafra and war. Ibrahim Coomasie, chairman of the national executive council said that it is disturbing and worrisome that the renewed clamour for Biafra, adding that the case of Biafra was settled in 1970.

http://hallmarknews.com/agitations-for-biafra-heightens-igbo-leaders-react/

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Fixamm: 9:58am On Aug 27, 2015
huhh
Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by EasternLion: 9:59am On Aug 27, 2015
Cc. Lalasticlala
Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:02am On Aug 27, 2015
Nigerians shud allow dix cursed erosion people to go jare..nothing positiv has eva come out of dia self

15 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Luckylife(m): 10:05am On Aug 27, 2015
Watching in 4D
Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by EasternLion: 10:07am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
Nigerians shud allow dix cursed erosion people to go jare..nothing positiv has eva come out of dia self

Ya father!

38 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Luckylife(m): 10:10am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
this ur hatred statement will kill u one day if u can control ur childish,unreasonable comments . imagine what ur satanic pic tells about u

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by patrick89(m): 10:15am On Aug 27, 2015
Oya cat face troop in and course your heart and soul out!

1 Like

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:16am On Aug 27, 2015
EasternLion:

Ya father!
eyyamiri dodondoya..aka erosion and bad roads...una never see anytin...destitute

1 Like

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:17am On Aug 27, 2015
Luckylife:
this ur hatred statement will kill u one day if u can control ur childish,unreasonable comments .
if u will sai dix abt me what will u sai abt nnamdi kalu?

1 Like

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by ArodewilliamsT: 10:18am On Aug 27, 2015
Biafra100 : 0 Zoogeria

11 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by yorubatic: 10:21am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
You are one of the reasons, igbos think yorubas are fuuls with Capital F, ...is it thesame brave igbos who are fighting for biafra you talking about? Thesame people we are begging on our knees for them stay in our one Nigeria? The same people our cowardly Awo begged and fought so they remain with us?

Has ofe.m.anu ruined your brain? Are you drunk with oily soup that you don't know cowardly history? Dont you know the igbos called our so called lagos NO MAN'S LAND. don't you know the igbos almost take over lagos? Dont you see the igbos representatives in our house of assembly? Dont you know Zik almost have been our premier during those days? And soon, the igbos might take over lagos without anyone blinking an eye?

Why are you making caricature of us? Are such a low lifer that you don't that nobody takes us seriously? NigerNigerians see yorubas are clowns who only rant and curse like market women...do you even think?

Ooh I see, you think that our diabolical and fetish way of life would save us....we are not talking about In.ce.st or ritualism here. ..we are talking about the future of Odu'a. ..I know you lack knowledge, hence you think we are talking about agberos and toutism.

You better start campaigning for odua republic. ..federal mugu...FM, just rant and curse as usual without making sense

32 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Luckylife(m): 10:24am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
if u will sai dix abt me what will u sai abt nnamdi kalu?
u see how ur statement confirm low level of mentality, u and kalu who have more powerful followers even with this ur devilish profile pic.

2 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Princewill1(m): 10:24am On Aug 27, 2015
No going back,Biafra or death!

4 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Prugged: 10:24am On Aug 27, 2015
just like the ways hausa elders have agitated for boko haram amnesty. do you expect the igbo leader to do the contrary, that's a big NO NO....the more popularity on biafra, the closer actualization

4 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by EasternLion: 10:27am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
eyyamiri dodondoya..aka erosion and bad roads...una never see anytin...destitute

baby monkey, amadioha were kwa gi there, esu ara.

3 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by themonk(m): 10:31am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
your profile pic says alot about ur occupation

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Nobody: 10:32am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:

see wat excess consumption of oil has caused u

1 Like

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:32am On Aug 27, 2015
EasternLion:

baby monkey, amadioha were kwa gi there, esu ara.
useless amadioha wey no fit help him people..hungry and erosion won kill dem..see dem dey run from north to west just to survive and u hia calling one useless tin call amadioha...rubbish
Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:33am On Aug 27, 2015
Luckylife:
u see how ur statement confirm low level of mentality, u and kalu who have more powerful followers even with this ur devilish profile pic.
eyammiri dodondoya
Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:37am On Aug 27, 2015
yorubatic:

You are one of the reasons, igbos think yorubas are fuuls with Capital F, ...is it thesame brave igbos who are fighting for biafra you talking about? Thesame people we are begging on our knees for them stay in our one Nigeria? The same people our cowardly Awo begged and fought so they remain with us?

Has ofe.m.anu ruined your brain? Are you drunk with oily soup that you don't know cowardly history? Dont you know the igbos called our so called lagos NO MAN'S LAND. don't you know the igbos almost take over lagos? Dont you see the igbos representatives in our house of assembly? Dont you know Zik almost have been our premier during those days? And soon, the igbos might take over lagos without anyone blinking an eye?

Why are you making caricature of us? Are such a low lifer that you don't that nobody takes us seriously? NigerNigerians see yorubas are clowns who only rant and curse like market women...do you even think?

Ooh I see, you think that our diabolical and fetish way of life would save us....we are not talking about In.ce.st or ritualism here. ..we are talking about the future of Odu'a. ..I know you lack knowledge, hence you think we are talking about agberos and toutism.

You better start campaigning for odua republic. ..federal mugu...FM, just rant and curse as usual without making sense
hahahaha...e pain am..u won take ova lagos and u can't even develop ur cursed erosion red sand land...abg nobody dey take ibos seriux abg...so park

4 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by kestolove95(m): 10:39am On Aug 27, 2015
MrKontrovErsy:

see wat excess consumption of oil has caused u
why not attack d message?
Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 27, 2015
kestolove95:
why not attack d message?

NO MISS DUMBAZZ!

i chose to attack wat i want tongue

1 Like

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Nobody: 10:53am On Aug 27, 2015
I have always thought Igbo leaders or frontline politicians support the Biafran movement but they may not come out of the closet with it, yet.

Regardless, the movement is stronger now and they have enough human resources spread across the world not to mention the ally states and now recognition from UN, it will be foolish to arm twist them to stay if they are indeed ready to go.

I pray, like I always have, that they get the Baifra of their dreams, the country they so desire. I often wonder when I hear many of my Yoruba folks get a 'hard on' over one Nigeria and opposing the self actualization of another group knowing fully well we have our potentials to develop separately and pull the weight of Africa behind us.

Make una change Nigerian map abeg. When e remain us and the North, my people go get sense to do a self-appraisal.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by laudate: 10:58am On Aug 27, 2015
9jacrip:
I have always thought Igbo leaders or frontline politicians support the Biafran movement but they may not come out of the closet with it, yet.

Regardless, the movement is stronger now and they have enough human resources spread across the world not to mention the ally states and now recognition from UN, it will be foolish to arm twist them to stay if they are indeed ready to go.

I pray, like I always have, that they get the Baifra of their dreams, the country they so desire. I often wonder when I hear many of my Yoruba folks get a 'hard on' over one Nigeria and opposing the self actualization of another group knowing fully well we have our potentials to develop separately and pull the weight of Africa behind us.

Make una change Nigerian map abeg. When e remain us and the North, my people go get sense to do a self-appraisal.

Almighty God, I pray the Igbo are allowed to get the Biafra they deserve, without any further delay. undecided

Anyone who tries to stop them will be infested with a thousand flies. angry

Let them go, biko. They don't want to stay. Na by force?? Nobody should persuade them to change their minds, oh! At least, we will then know those who are left, and willing to make Nigeria work. shocked

We know that within one month after they get their independence, they will still come back lobbying and begging for entry visas to get back into Nigeria as most of their shops, houses and businesses are located in different parts of our country. At that time, everyone will know who is who.

Even till now, they are unable to stay still in one place which is why you find them in strange countries (even those with unpronounceable names) sad

Anything that can be done to get them started on their journey, would be most welcome.

Then we can apply immigration quotas for those Biafrans that are seeking to come back into Nigeria. Foreign nationals from other countries are welcome to stay behind. At least, they do not insult other ethnic groups or visit them with hate.

No one should hold the Biafrans back. Enough is enough!! shocked

6 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Liberty101: 10:59am On Aug 27, 2015
I see Biafra coming soon

3 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Nobody: 11:21am On Aug 27, 2015
laudate:

Almighty God, I pray the Igbo are allowed to get the Biafra they deserve, without any further delay. undecided

Let them go, biko. They don't want to stay. Na by force?? Nobody should persuade them to change their minds, oh! At least, we will then know those who are left, and willing to make Nigeria work. shocked

We know that within one month after they get their independence, they will still come back lobbying and begging for entry visas to get back into Nigeria as most of their shops, houses and businesses are located in different parts of our country. At that time, everyone will know who is who.

Even till now, they are unable to stay still in one place which is why you find them in strange countries (even those with unpronounceable names) sad

Anything that can be done to get them started on their journey, would be most welcome.

Then we can apply immigration quotas for those Biafrans that are seeking to come back into Nigeria. Foreign nationals from other countries are welcome to stay behind. At least, they do not insult other ethnic groups or visit them with hate.

You're funny.

You'd be surprised they will eventually grow stronger as a country if they get their acts together. The beginnings are bound to be rough considering the Nigeria negativities they'd be carrying over - the corruption, the all man for himself mentality, the class of chop chop politicians etc which they'd be better off getting rid of.

And there will always be migration it does not mean the country will not grow.

3 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by cheruv: 11:22am On Aug 27, 2015
9jacrip:

Thumbs up bro! smiley

5 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by Nobody: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2015
Yeah we are proud Biafrans and God is on our side. Zoological republic make una try us na. Biafra we too much. God bless BIAFRA

2 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by cheruv: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2015
laudate:

The only Country you're yet to find Igbos is North Korea due to the isolationism adopted by the ruling Kim dynasty.
We're spreading..and when Biafra comes,we'd reintegrate the African Americans in the US and the Caribbean back into Igbo culture. Prince imperial Nnamdi Kanu has already mentioned that.
See you cool

3 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by PenSniper: 11:34am On Aug 27, 2015
cool
yorubatic:

You are one of the reasons, igbos think yorubas are fuuls with Capital F, ...is it thesame brave igbos who are fighting for biafra you talking about? Thesame people we are begging on our knees for them stay in our one
Nigeria? The same people our cowardly Awo begged and fought so they remain with us?

Has ofe.m.anu ruined your brain? Are you drunk with oily soup that you
don't know cowardly history? Dont you know the igbos called our so called lagos NO MAN'S LAND. don't you know the igbos almost take over lagos? Dont you see the igbos representatives in our house of assembly? Dont you know Zik almost have been our premier during those days? And soon, the igbos might take over lagos without anyone blinking an eye?

Ooh I see, you think that our
diabolical and fetish way of life would save us....we are not talking about In.ce.st or ritualism here. ..we are talking about the future of Odu'a. ..I know you lack knowledge, hence you think we are talking about agberos and toutism.

Biafra mugu and wailing chimpanze with no tail.
Yorubaphobia will kill you and your generation.

3 Likes

Re: Agitations For Biafra Heightens, Eastern Leaders React - Hallmark News by wadetaw202: 11:37am On Aug 27, 2015
EasternLion:

Ya father!
Just go. We don't want you in Nigeria again?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

ICPC: Daniel Obah Loses Properties Worth N124.5 Million To FG / Ugwuanyi Offers Scholarships To Emmanuel Maduabuchi And Chukwuebuka Udoye / Aminu Abdulmumini Jor: Gombe Man Who Trekked For Tinubu Says He Is Satisfied

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.