Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,694 members, 7,831,156 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (786375 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by essayHelp(m): 12:21pm On Feb 06, 2016
fizzile:
Am at d GRE center at aba.. Omor na God oooo. If una sabi cabash,make una cabash for me oooo. Just 8 candidates here in total. Omor one niggar came with a photocopy of his data page of his international passport and was rejected. Omor some guys dey jonse ooo.
Success Sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by yorex2011: 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
essayHelp:

What is your priority? Funding or admission?

Assuming you prioritize funding and are applying for MS:

Georgia Tech will likely not give you funding except you have real and meaningful research experience with at least a paper (IEEE transactions and the likes).

Austin will be ambitious for your profile. As a rule of thumb, to get funding, your application must be very competitive compared to other admitted students.

MS funding for ASU is not likely.

Ok.. Dyu have any other schools in mind... As regards funding? Thanks...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Davidhero(m): 2:27pm On Feb 06, 2016
Hello guys, buh please help advice me on this..... My school says SAT is optional for International students, should i still go ahead and take d exam or take only TOFEL?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by doyinisaac(m): 2:43pm On Feb 06, 2016
Walspring:

Send via PayPal or go to Seme border and use western union
seme border (the Benin side)??how can someone do transaction at the bank if you do not understand French??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by doyinisaac(m): 2:46pm On Feb 06, 2016
happney65:

You can now send Money through Money-gram now in Nigeria..At least i know of Access Bank..But you would have to go to the Bank the previous day and fill the Forms as the service is only available from 8am to 8.10am..This is just a way of guarding against money laundering as we are dam dam corrupt in this Country
But they said that there is a transfer limit of $1000 every three months which means that you can only send 1000$ within three months..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by doyinisaac(m): 2:48pm On Feb 06, 2016
tunedhey:

So I thought too but I just say make I try am dat day ni and dem do 4 me.. Thou was at a couple of other banks where dey turned it down say dem don suspend am.
But there is a maximum limit of 1000$ within three months...hope you know??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by happney65: 4:17pm On Feb 06, 2016
doyinisaac:
But they said that there is a transfer limit of $1000 every three months which means that you can only send 1000$ within three months..

Yes there is..They are using it to guide against Money-Laundering as we are Damm Corrupt.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 10:15pm On Feb 06, 2016
yorex2011:

I converted my individual gradrs from 100 to final year..changed A to 4.0,B to 3.5, C to 3.0, D to 2.5, E to 3.0 and recalculated maintaining my school's weighting system per year

Usethe fulbright website for it. Let me see if I could snip it.

ok. yay! But the problem with some Nigeria university transcript is that they don't show raw score in order to know which is + or -

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 10:49pm On Feb 06, 2016
Dear Friends and Gurus,

I urgently need help with a candid advice. i have not really been following this tread but i bow for gurus here.

I started applying for USA graduate schools in Oct 2015. I wanted to resume in Jan 2016-Spring, so i only targeted schools with very late application deadlines.

I did all the GRE, TOEFL and VISA interview stuffs and succeeded getting admission in 3 schools.
1. UALR- University of Arkansas at Little Rock - Phd (Integrated computing)
2. SIUE- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville - MSc (computer science)
3. UNO - University of Nebraska, Omaha - Msc (Management Information Systems-MIS)

The decision from UALR came so quick so i presented their i20 at the embassy and got the visa. Though i preferred the MIS course at UNO, but they did not decide on time. I Applied for funding in UALR but didn't get anything. Also some old naija folks at the school strongly discouraged me from coming..Finally, my admission at UNO clicked on Jan 6, I got into US on Jan 8th and decided to transfer from UALR to UNO. The transfer went pretty easy and i flew to Omaha.

On arriving here, i discovered the situation here was worse than i ever imagine, even though i got the course i wanted to study, i couldn't get any funding, tuition is very high, black population here is negligible, and the cold here na die. I have not figured out how i will pay the tuition yet, but i pray i will scale through this semester.

I plan to complete one semester and transfer to another school. Which school can i get guaranteed Graduate Assistant ship or funding?
If i loose my status in this school(i don't pray for that-worst case scenario), can i possibly apply afresh again in another school since i am already in the usa?
Who knows the possibility of transferring credits from Management Information Systems to a course like electrical engineering?

Any valuable input will be most appreciated. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 12:01am On Feb 07, 2016
cuteconnec:
Dear Friends and Gurus,

I urgently need help with a candid advice. i have not really been following this tread but i bow for gurus here.

I started applying for USA graduate schools in Oct 2015. I wanted to resume in Jan 2016-Spring, so i only targeted schools with very late application deadlines.

I did all the GRE, TOEFL and VISA interview stuffs and succeeded getting admission in 3 schools.
3. UNO - University of Nebraska, Omaha - Msc (Management Information Systems-MIS)

The decision from UALR came so quick so i presented their i20 at the embassy and got the visa. Though i preferred the MIS course at UNO, but they did not decide on time. I Applied for funding in UALR but didn't get anything. Also some old naija folks at the school strongly discouraged me from coming..Finally, my admission at UNO clicked on Jan 6, I got into US on Jan 8th and decided to transfer from UALR to UNO. The transfer went pretty easy and i flew to Omaha.

On arriving here, i discovered the situation here was worse than i ever imagine, even though i got the course i wanted to study, i couldn't get any funding, tuition is very high, black population here is negligible, and the cold here na die. I have not figured out how i will pay the tuition yet, but i pray i will scale through this semester.

I plan to complete one semester and transfer to another school. Which school can i get guaranteed Graduate Assistant ship or funding?
If i loose my status in this school(i don't pray for that-worst case scenario), can i possibly apply afresh again in another school since i am already in the usa?
Who knows the possibility of transferring credits from Management Information Systems to a course like electrical engineering?

I am sure if you sat up, you gonna come top of the class in MIS at Nebraska. That will put you in a good stead for UNO graduate assistant. You hardly get GA or TA at the beginning of your studies except you presented an excellent result and had criticized faculty research papers. Remember you have your studies from Africa which oyibos think is sub-standard. I would advise you to schedule an appointment with the financial aid office. Give them your story!

Except otherwise you are already frustrated with UNO. No where is actually good when you are without money in the US. Guess white are even more friendly than black-americans. Or you want where they speak ibo. That will be PhD in UNN. na joke oo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by landuseact: 12:53am On Feb 07, 2016
cuteconnec:
Dear Friends and Gurus,

I hope you don't mind if I am blunt with my suggestions and response. Do you want to study MIS or electrical engineering? Why did you change schools when you were not guaranteed of funding in the 2nd school? No one here can give you a school that guarantees assistantship, it doesn't work that way. I have heard of people that apply for assistantships before they resume a school but they receive an official letter of offer so that way they know they are starting with an assistantship.

You don't even want to risk the option of being out of status. Like someone rightly suggested, stick to one school, do well in the first semester and you stand a chance of getting an assistantship.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 3:21am On Feb 07, 2016
landuseact:

I hope you don't mind if I am blunt with my suggestions and response. Do you want to study MIS or electrical engineering? Why did you change schools when you were not guaranteed of funding in the 2nd school? No one here can give you a school that guarantees assistantship, it doesn't work that way. I have heard of people that apply for assistant-ships before they resume a school but they receive an official letter of offer so that way they know they are starting with an assistant-ship.
You don't even want to risk the option of being out of status. Like someone rightly suggested, stick to one school, do well in the first semester and you stand a chance of getting an assistantship.

Thanks for your input. I am already studying MIS, which is not so popular like electrical. More than 90% of US Colleges offer electrical engineering, i have an electrical background and I am open to switch to electrical if i get funding there.
Again, I switched school because i didn't like the course i was offered at UALR and the school had no funding for a 5-year Phd program.

My course adviser said i will only be eligible to apply for GA after 2 semesters. I don't see myself surviving for 2 semesters without funding.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 3:32am On Feb 07, 2016
Mayflowa:

I am sure if you sat up, you gonna come top of the class in MIS at Nebraska. That will put you in a good stead for UNO graduate assistant. You hardly get GA or TA at the beginning of your studies except you presented an excellent result and had criticized faculty research papers. Remember you have your studies from Africa which oyibos think is sub-standard. I would advise you to schedule an appointment with the financial aid office. Give them your story!
Except otherwise you are already frustrated with UNO. No where is actually good when you are without money in the US. Guess white are even more friendly than black-americans. Or you want where they speak ibo. That will be PhD in UNN. na joke oo.

The problem is that my course advisor said i am not eligible to apply for GA until after 2 semesters.

I already went to financial aid, them tok say no money for now. That is why am looking for a way out...

UNO have no plans for international students, they focus more on their citizens. Whites are like 95% in this school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oganlalasokun: 4:14am On Feb 07, 2016
My friend who applied to renew his visit visa through a dropbox was later called to appear at the embassy for interview, when he got there, they asked him why he spent 5 months instead of then intended 1 month hetold them at the interview, he explained to them them that on arrival to the US, he got an admission to do a masters programme and he then applied for a change of status to a student visa and when it was not approved, he had to return home at the 5th month. He didn't want to overstay.
Now, the VO asked him to come back for his passport in 3 months time, by then his visa would have expired. What could be the problem pls for holding his passport that long ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by lilgan(f): 5:14am On Feb 07, 2016
morning guys, just joined nairaland officially today though have been a bit part reader 'cos of work and other time consuming activities....please i need a kind and honest response with reasonable suggestions....i have tried my best and i have saved up 3 million naira will this be enough for tuition ONLY in schools in USA or Canada........if No i should be looking at minimum of how much? otherwise any kind hearted person can suggest a good affordable school

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dannybrown19: 5:33am On Feb 07, 2016
dannybrown19:
Hey guys, I want to ask a question concerning buying auction cars online especially on crankyape.com, if its worth it. Has anyone here ever purchase a car on auction from them? Plz share your experience.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by starboy2015: 5:55am On Feb 07, 2016
please i would like to know the maximum age someone can use to apply for an undergraduate studies in the USA..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 6:43am On Feb 07, 2016
Happy new year everyone in the house
Please I am applying to Minot state university for fall 2016 and please I have the following questions:

1.How competitive is the school? I have IELTS of 7.0 and unilag CGPA of 3.91/5. even though i don't know what my WES evaluated CGP would be. I am a teacher I am going for masters in education.
2.Do they offer GA to international students?
3.Do they verify the bank statements sent to them?
4.Is the cold really that bad? I have heard people say it is extremely cold.
5.How long does it take for WES to verify docs from UNILAG? my wes profile says awaiting verification since JAN 3 2016.
6.Lastly please anyone in Minot State university should please help me with your contact.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 7:19am On Feb 07, 2016
cuteconnec:

The problem is that my course advisor said i am not eligible to apply for GA until after 2 semesters.

I already went to financial aid, them tok say no money for now. That is why am looking for a way out...

UNO have no plans for international students, they focus more on their citizens. Whites are like 95% in this school.

Oops! Am sorry for your situation. In that case, I will recommend my school. They are quite helpful with funding. There are also available on campus job but the weather is quite harsh. Extremely cold and extremely hot.

Like your school, it's dominated by white but they respect and fear black because blacks here have protested severally. Blacks dey kolo for here. Everyone is cautious of being called racist.

It's university of Missouri, Columbia.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 7:36am On Feb 07, 2016
lilgan:
morning guys, just joined nairaland officially today though have been a bit part reader 'cos of work and other time consuming activities....please i need a kind and honest response with reasonable suggestions....i have tried my best and i have saved up 3 million naira will this be enough for tuition ONLY in schools in USA or Canada........if No i should be looking at minimum of how much? otherwise any kind hearted person can suggest a good affordable school

Thanks

Welcome sis. You have quite a lot compare to some folks here. Sincerely, schools in Canada are cheaper. You are allowed to work both on and off campus. US is only oncampus which you may not get. If you decide to bring ur spouse here, they won't be eligible to work. He go dey sit down look you but it's not so in Canada. spouses are allowed full time work.

Another way you can fund your education is to contact faculty members before applying. Provide then intelligent letter on their research interest and ask for available funding. GPA and GRE determine a lot on funding. So you may want to prepare well for that.

However, you will be exposed to series of funding once you have finished ur first semester and did very well. If you check the international student website of any school, you would be amazed on the series of funding you are opened to but we never do while in naija.

Lastly as a woman, you are advantaged by gender as there are many scholarship body that provide scholarship for women in developing nation. What is your course of study? If I had time, will provide u some links.

One other thing, how were you able to save up to 3 million in Naija work?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 7:59am On Feb 07, 2016
oganlalasokun:
My friend who applied to renew his visit visa through a dropbox was later called to appear at the embassy for interview, when he got there, they asked him why he spent 5 months instead of then intended 1 month hetold them at the interview, he explained to them them that on arrival to the US, he got an admission to do a masters programme and he then applied for a change of status to a student visa and when it was not approved, he had to return home at the 5th month. He didn't want to overstay.
Now, the VO asked him to come back for his passport in 3 months time, by then his visa would have expired. What could be the problem pls for holding his passport that long ?

Are you sure it's not 3 days he heard. He should check his status online
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 8:04am On Feb 07, 2016
cuteconnec:

Thanks for your input. I am already studying MIS, which is not so popular like electrical. More than 90% of US Colleges offer electrical engineering, i have an electrical background and I am open to switch to electrical if i get funding there.
Again, I switched school because i didn't like the course i was offered at UALR and the school had no funding for a 5-year Phd program.

My course adviser said i will only be eligible to apply for GA after 2 semesters. I don't see myself surviving for 2 semesters without funding.

MIS is even more lucrative than electrical. Anything computer is lucrative here. The world is about computer now. In fact obama is trying to introduce code writing to elementary pupils
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 07, 2016
prayerrain:
Happy new year everyone in the house
Please I am applying to Minot state university for fall 2016 and please I have the following questions:

1.How competitive is the school? I have IELTS of 7.0 and unilag CGPA of 3.91/5. even though i don't know what my WES evaluated CGP would be. I am a teacher I am going for masters in education.
2.Do they offer GA to international students?
3.Do they verify the bank statements sent to them?
4.Is the cold really that bad? I have heard people say it is extremely cold.
5.How long does it take for WES to verify docs from UNILAG? my wes profile says awaiting verification since JAN 3 2016.
6.Lastly please anyone in Minot State university should please help me with your contact.

please someone
should please answer me pleaaseeeeee
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oganlalasokun: 8:50am On Feb 07, 2016
Mayflowa:

Are you sure it's not 3 days he heard. He should check his status online
3 months, not 3 days
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by lilgan(f): 9:50am On Feb 07, 2016
Mayflowa:

Welcome sis. You have quite a lot compare to some folks here. Sincerely, schools in Canada are cheaper. You are allowed to work both on and off campus. US is only oncampus which you may not get. If you decide to bring ur spouse here, they won't be eligible to work. He go dey sit down look you but it's not so in Canada. spouses are allowed full time work.

Another way you can fund your education is to contact faculty members before applying. Provide then intelligent letter on their research interest and ask for available funding. GPA and GRE determine a lot on funding. So you may want to prepare well for that.

However, you will be exposed to series of funding once you have finished ur first semester and did very well. If you check the international student website of any school, you would be amazed on the series of funding you are opened to but we never do while in naija.

Lastly as a woman, you are advantaged by gender as there are many scholarship body that provide scholarship for women in developing nation. What is your course of study? If I had time, will provide u some links.

One other thing, how were you able to save up to 3 million in Naija work?

Thank you sir for taking your time to reply

aside my monthly pay i sell clothes,perfumes and wristwatches for both men and women besides i get money as gift from some nice friends and colleagues too

i graduated with a GPA of 3.62/5.0 studied computer science looking to do my master in information technology or any database related course....my major fear is the funding......How much is too small for a Canadian Uni regarding tuition? looking at every possibility without funding for now just in case i don't get the funding

HAPPY SUNDAY SIR
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Senatorbee(m): 11:59am On Feb 07, 2016
Please need advice
what can an intending applicant take to the interview if his school does not issue transcript by hand to students but only officially send it to school for evaluation.
Please what can be done
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 12:11pm On Feb 07, 2016
For those of who who are planning to write GRE of any form,be it paper based or computer based,I beg u in the name of God,abeg make una read ooooo,work on your speed. If u r not too conversant with the computer,better start learning how to type fast,else simply register for paper based. Had mine yesterday and to God be d glory it was okay. Hoping for a good result. But I must emphasize, read ooooo. Practice practice practice espcly prime numbers,integers,probability,and many more. Learn no vocabs. Its an exam one can attack with due preparation. All the best to u.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Mayflowa(m): 12:54pm On Feb 07, 2016
fizzile:
For those of who who are planning to write GRE of any form,be it paper based or computer based,I beg u in the name of God,abeg make una read ooooo,work on your speed. If u r not too conversant with the computer,better start learning how to type fast,else simply register for paper based. Had mine yesterday and to God be d glory it was okay. Hoping for a good result. But I must emphasize, read ooooo. Practice practice practice espcly prime numbers,integers,probability,and many more. Learn no vocabs. Its an exam one can attack with due preparation. All the best to u.

Why are you hoping for a good result? I thought the result pops out of your screen immediately. Or it has changed?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 07, 2016
hello house. i applied for 3schools in usa, 2unis and a community college and i hve their admission letters and 1-20. i intend going to the community college. but i just want to use the university 1-20 so they wont deny me visa. now my questions are

1: if i gt to usa, shld i go to the community colege state and start college and just forgt about the uni. hope there wont be any problem.

2.do the v.o's knows the school youve applied for already, cause they always ask the numbers of schools you applied for, can i say just the university and not tell d v.o i also chosed a community college or i shld tell the truth
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bravolyk(m): 2:36pm On Feb 07, 2016
fizzile:

sir can you send me your GRE materials so i can practise with them to dirisudanielatyahoo.com thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 3:24pm On Feb 07, 2016
oganlalasokun:

I think they want to look into what he told them which means they are going to start verification process from now and with 3 months and who knows it might not take longer.

Did they give him Administrative process(ing) form?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 3:26pm On Feb 07, 2016
doyinisaac:
seme border (the Benin side)??how can someone do transaction at the bank if you do not understand French??

They also speak English there and don't be surprise if the person that wants to change the Money for you speak Yoruba to you..

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.