Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,249 members, 7,829,461 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (251) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (786249 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 3:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
AgreatMan:

Lots of schools don't require GRE. Visit departmental webpages.

Thank you so much. Please can you suggest any school you know that don't require GRE?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 3:55pm On Feb 24, 2016
if someones decide to apply to another school within the US for PHD after a masters program would he be asked of his GRE scores
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 4:21pm On Feb 24, 2016
malory84:

Thank you very much for your response. I know i can do better, but the quantitative section is worrisome. I am very poor when it comes to Mathematics.

Then that's what you have to improve.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 4:22pm On Feb 24, 2016
amanze15:
if someones decide to apply to another school within the US for PHD after a masters program would he be asked of his GRE scores

No PhD admission without GRE in US. Perfect match right?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 4:29pm On Feb 24, 2016
AgreatMan:

Lots of schools don't require GRE. Visit departmental webpages.

This is an exaggeration. Do you mean for the course or what? I think standardized test is the graduate school requirement and not the department, unless it's stated otherwise on the admission page.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 4:50pm On Feb 24, 2016
imperiouxx:

No PhD admission without GRE in US. Perfect match right?
if i had my masters in the states for instance?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2016
Fortissimo:

Chemistry / Biochemistry. Thanks for the advice, man. So your sis went to an Ivy. Na una get mouth ooo. Are you looking to an Ivy too? This Fall ryt?

Congrats Fortissimo on your admission. It seems it is easier to get funding in sciences than IT. I am happy for you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 4:59pm On Feb 24, 2016
Please what will be the result of my cgpa 3.98 when converted to the 4.0 scale.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by texrem(m): 5:02pm On Feb 24, 2016
sean622:
Visa delayed today and I hope to apply again next month. how many times can a school issue i20 cuz the last one was my second one plus is it advisable to apply the following month after denial?

You can apply anytime.....u will surely get it

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 5:15pm On Feb 24, 2016
malory84:
Please what will be the result of my cgpa 3.98 when converted to the 4.0 scale.

You can do it yourself here http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 5:20pm On Feb 24, 2016
[quote author=cuteconnec post=43214648]

You can do it yourself here http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/GPA-Calculator/

Ok. Thanks a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 5:47pm On Feb 24, 2016
[quote author=malory84 post=43214789][/quote]

Please i am a bit confused, do i input each of my individual course credit and grade, or just the cumulative from each semester or year. Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 6:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
malory84:

Please i am a bit confused, do i input each of my individual course credit and grade, or just the cumulative from each semester or year. Thank you.

That was what i used to calculate mine. It was pretty simple. Put each individual course, credit unit load (number of hours) and grade obtained (either A, B or C). If your took say 80 courses in school, input each individual course with the grades and click calculate when you are done. it will output your equivalent CGPA using USA grading systems. You have a good GPA, Best of Luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 6:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
cuteconnec:

That was what i used to calculate mine. It was pretty simple. Put each individual course, credit unit load (number of hours) and grade obtained (either A, B or C). If your took say 80 courses in school, input each individual course with the grades and click calculate when you are done. it will output your equivalent CGPA using USA grading systems. You have a good GPA, Best of Luck.

Ok. Thanks a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 7:04pm On Feb 24, 2016
amanze15:
if i had my masters in the states for instance?

Yea, that's what I was saying. Now GRE is a minimum requirement for PhD admission.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 7:39pm On Feb 24, 2016
imperiouxx:

Yea, that's what I was saying. Now GRE is a minimum requirement for PhD admission.
thanks i just won a fruitless argument with that clarification. some were of the point of view that you can apply without it as far as you have been admitted to attend classes and "teach" during a masters program.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:45pm On Feb 24, 2016
imperiouxx:

Depending on the program though. Its not general with all majors. Some arts do not require it even for TA.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by AgreatMan: 9:10pm On Feb 24, 2016
imperiouxx:

This is an exaggeration. Do you mean for the course or what? I think standardized test is the graduate school requirement and not the department, unless it's stated otherwise on the admission page.

Well, the exaggeration was intentional and was to make him keep searching. But then, U of Utah's mining program (top program) has GRE as optional. I once searched for one bio-engineering program where GRE was not required. Moreover, I have heard countless cases on this thread on "I have been offered admission (without tests), shall I write any standardized test in other to improve my chances with the VO?" It must be stated o the department's webpage though.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:28pm On Feb 24, 2016
cuteconnec:

Congrats Fortissimo on your admission. It seems it is easier to get funding in sciences than IT. I am happy for you

Thanks a lot! Other fields get too. Even English and other Arts. Just depends on the school.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 24, 2016
Mekurexx:
Yeah it depends. But funny thing is i made my mind up about US after watching one video of Chimamanda speaking at a graduation.It sort of made me make my mind up. Economic reality its canada but i did a good research about the schools so its def US. But for PhD i think Canada is a better destination for applicants... That my canada application is prayers, but thanks for the good words! Looks like you be efiko, you applying for PhD too i guess

Haha @efiko. I applied for PhD in 2 schools. Still waiting for their decision. My other apps were for MS.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bamideleniayo(m): 9:43pm On Feb 24, 2016
Any Nairalander in OHIO, USA.here....? Columbus/ Reynoldsburg/ Pickerington/ Brice road
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Isiaka86(m): 9:52pm On Feb 24, 2016
Helloo house i would like u to pls help out here.Am about to pay for my sevis fee but i dnt knw how to go abt with d whole payment process.ur advice is highly needed thanks. coolHelloo house i would like u to pls help out here.Am about to pay for my sevis fee but i dnt knw how to go abt with d whole payment process.ur advice is highly needed thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:53pm On Feb 24, 2016
Is it just me or are you guys that are schooling abroad (UK, US & Canada) always busy? Even my former classmates and colleagues over there are always chasing class, supervisor, presentation, test, exam, meeting, etc.

It's well oooooo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Isiaka86(m): 10:09pm On Feb 24, 2016
Isiaka86:
Helloo house i would like u to pls help out here.Am about to pay for my sevis fee but i dnt knw how to go abt with d whole payment process.ur advice is highly needed thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Isiaka86(m): 10:11pm On Feb 24, 2016
[quote author=Isiaka86 post=43222753][/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 10:25pm On Feb 24, 2016
Fortissimo:
Is it just me or are you guys that are schooling abroad (UK, US & Canada) always busy? Even my former classmates and colleagues over there are always chasing class, supervisor, presentation, test, exam, meeting, etc.

It's well oooooo.

You will understand when you start smiley

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Motoshor(m): 11:51pm On Feb 24, 2016
Dear Nairalanders, I will appreciate guidance from you, most especially those who are graduate students of ETSU, I got a mail telling me to send my proof of certificate through mail, however the certificate has to be sent by the school I graduated from with the school seal on the envelope it's been sent in as an attestation. This might take too long and I will be glad if there are other ways I can send my certificate to my program coordinator within the scheduled time frame. Helpful suggestions are welcomed. Thank
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 12:49am On Feb 25, 2016
Walspring:

I make payment with Paypal and that's how it work because the receiver must have an account with Paypal

@ Walspring. I have paypal account, can the sender deposit naira directly in his paypal account from Nigeria. And at what rate will the naira be converted to dollar?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 12:58am On Feb 25, 2016
amanze15:
thanks i just won a fruitless argument with that clarification. some were of the point of view that you can apply without it as far as you have been admitted to attend classes and "teach" during a masters program.

Probably they mean it can be waived if you a high GPA, years of extensive experience in the field and met other criteria.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:01am On Feb 25, 2016
AgreatMan:

Well, the exaggeration was intentional and was to make him keep searching. But then, U of Utah's mining program (top program) has GRE as optional. I once searched for one bio-engineering program where GRE was not required. Moreover, I have heard countless cases on this thread on "I have been offered admission (without tests), shall I write any standardized test in other to improve my chances with the VO?" It must be stated o the department's webpage though.

Yea, there are but few of them.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cuteconnec: 1:26am On Feb 25, 2016
anikemoses:
Health Insurance here is very expensive,last year I took my school's plan and was charged $1,700 for a year,but this year I got the alternative insurance form and used it,which cost me $600...

Which insurance company did you use to get is for $600?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:39am On Feb 25, 2016
slimmy2005:
Depending on the program though. Its not general with all majors. Some arts do not require it even for TA.

Well, most Phd programs require GRE as minimum. There are few occasions where a particular department waive or doesn't required it. And this can be from every other field including science.

(1) (2) (3) ... (248) (249) (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.