Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,740 members, 7,820,547 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:53 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (785247 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 4:10am On Mar 19, 2016
Fortissimo:

By the time he/she gets there it will soon be Clinton(or some other)land grin

It still remain Obamaland until Jan 2017
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:14am On Mar 19, 2016
aadeyi:

It still remain Obamaland until Jan 2017

I know that's why I wrote soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by hardeorlah: 5:05am On Mar 19, 2016
landuseact:
I noticed that a lot of people have been asking questions relating to Graduate Assistant positions. I want to suggest that people shouldn't just focus on GA positions within the department they are seeking admission. Also go to the job hiring site of the school and check for available GA positions in other non-academic offices on campus. If you can reach out to other Nigerians that hold GA positions in the schools you are interested in, that could help too. For example here at NIU, being referred is the easiest way to get a GA position especially if the person doing the referral has impressed his employers.

you are 100percent correct. I got my GA through referral. my department is mathematics and computer sci and my GA is in school of management. different departments. So according to landuseact check other departments, if Ur own dept is currently not hiring GA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 19, 2016
GboyegaD:

Have you tried contacting each of them to ask about funding decisions? Some schools make funding decision at the time of acceptance while some do later. You want to be sure the status of things first.
I have contacted some but no reply yet
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by GboyegaD(m): 10:31am On Mar 19, 2016
femi321:
I have contacted some but no reply yet

Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 10:36am On Mar 19, 2016
Sirriddy and others that got GA offers at the time of admission, do your offer letters say the offer is contingent on funding being available?

I'm guessing it's just a formality clause. Am I correct?

I've asked d person issuing my I-20 if that's ok, but no reply yet.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 10:50am On Mar 19, 2016
Fortissimo:

By the time he/she gets there it will soon be Clinton(or some other)land grin

gringringrin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:12am On Mar 19, 2016
GboyegaD:

Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.
thank you bruv
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 1:11pm On Mar 19, 2016
Is it me or those state schools are getting really tight fisted with GA & TA's for International students... A quick recap of Fall 2016 thus far.... Profile [3.48 GPA(IERF Evaluation), GRE( 321, 319) Wrote it twice, TOEFL (107)]... PhD Economics (Auburn, Oregon State, University of Notre Dame, University of Wyoming) I got rejects on all four. I have two more to go 1 PhD and 1 MA, Really tired... SirRiddy call me, I don misplace my phone. femi321 sorry about your funding situation

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:53pm On Mar 19, 2016
gunther6:
Is it me or those state schools are getting really tight fisted with GA & TA's for International students... A quick recap of Fall 2016 thus far.... Profile [3.48 GPA(IERF Evaluation), GRE( 321, 319) Wrote it twice, TOEFL (107)]... PhD Economics (Auburn, Oregon State, University of Notre Dame, University of Wyoming) I got rejects on all four. I have two more to go 1 PhD and 1 MA, Really tired... SirRiddy call me, I don misplace my phone. femi321 sorry about your funding situation
thank you bro..we just have to keep pushing and not give up..you cant be tired as me..i am super tired..without funding,i cant go anywhere..my 4 acceptance are just like rejects to me right now..we will smile at last

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by omomayelakesi: 1:57pm On Mar 19, 2016
Dear all, I hope this message meets you well. I really want to appreciate everyone's input on this forum. It is my prayer that God almighty will take us all to our respective promise lands. Am about to send my transcript for evaluation to either Wes or ice. I would like to know which one is best and also want to know what a GPA of 3.97/5 will be equivalent to on the 4.0 scale.... Looking forward to ur kind and prompt response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:58pm On Mar 19, 2016
gunther6:

Talk to GboyegaD. He studied Eco (MS) in US and applied for PhD in US before he changed his mind for Canada. He might give you where to apply to.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by omomayelakesi: 2:11pm On Mar 19, 2016
@ all the gurus in the house
omomayelakesi:
Dear all, I hope this message meets you well. I really want to appreciate everyone's input on this forum. It is my prayer that God almighty will take us all to our respective promise lands. Am about to send my transcript for evaluation to either Wes or ice. I would like to know which one is best and also want to know what a GPA of 3.97/5 will be equivalent to on the 4.0 scale.... Looking forward to ur kind and prompt response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by GboyegaD(m): 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2016
imperiouxx:

Talk to GboyegaD. He studied Eco (MS) in US and applied for PhD in US before he changed his mind for Canada. He might give you where to apply to.

Gunther6, can you please check if you still meet the application deadline for UNT? I know it is usually in March. If you are interested, let me know perhaps, I could put in a word for you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 7:24pm On Mar 19, 2016
GboyegaD:

Gunther6, can you please check if you still meet the application deadline for UNT? I know it is usually in March. If you are interested, let me know perhaps, I could put in a word for you.

I am checking it out right now, Thanks by the way and imperiouxx too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 19, 2016
Fortissimo:
Sirriddy and others that got GA offers at the time of admission, do your offer letters say the offer is contingent on funding being available?

I'm guessing it's just a formality clause. Am I correct?

I've asked d person issuing my I-20 if that's ok, but no reply yet.

I guess that is normal. Most funding I know is contingent on availability. People loose funding either for mediocre performance or lack of funds. A lady in my school lost her funding in final year, cos department cut back on spending. Decided on a destination yet?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:28pm On Mar 19, 2016
Gunther6 I will call you as soon as I can. Sorry about you r phone and the rejects.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 7:36pm On Mar 19, 2016
GboyegaD:

The deadline if seeking funding is March 1.... cry ... This dollar ish is going to make life without funding unpalatable at the least
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 19, 2016
sirRiddy:

I guess that is normal. Most funding I know is contingent on availability. People loose funding either for mediocre performance or lack of funds. A lady in my school lost her funding in final year, cos department cut back on spending. Decided on a destination yet?

Thanks bro. Others I've asked concur. My main concern was if it would have an impact on my I-20. I've accepted the offer from mississippi state uni. Seems the best fit for me. I just want a quiet place to face my books with no distractions. And my prospective advisers have competence in my intended field or research. Have you decided yet? U got some PhD admits ryt?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by frazak: 9:03pm On Mar 19, 2016
Is there Anybody with an active US number that can receive message here?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by GboyegaD(m): 9:31pm On Mar 19, 2016
gunther6:

The deadline if seeking funding is March 1.... cry ... This dollar ish is going to make life without funding unpalatable at the least

I will try and an email to Janice on Monday and feed you back.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by omomayelakesi: 9:47pm On Mar 19, 2016
cry cry cry since nobody refuse me
omomayelakesi:
@ all the gurus in the house
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by omomayelakesi: 9:49pm On Mar 19, 2016
cry since everybody has refused to answer me
omomayelakesi:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 10:25pm On Mar 19, 2016
omomayelakesi:

Very much appreciated... Thank you Mr Gboyega
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2016
omomayelakesi:

Why don't you get it done and find out? No one can tell you what it will be with certainty
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 11:06pm On Mar 19, 2016
frazak:
Is there Anybody with an active US number that can receive message here?

Yes and there are many grin

Anything
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by fizzile(m): 11:12pm On Mar 19, 2016
omomayelakesi:
Well let me see how best I can respond. To me WES remains the best but one thing u must consider is the time it takes them to finish up,cos they wl contact ur undergraduate school to verify ur transcript and ur school will then respond before they start evaluating. Another reliable evaluation service is IERF. They don't contact ur undergraduate school for any reason and once they get ur document,they evaluate it within 10working days. As for how d outcome will be,just go to WES site,u will see a free evaluation template. Just use it to evaluate urself to have an idea how it will be. It will require u to enter ur courses and grades den u will automatically see the possible outcome. Hope I have tried in answering ur question. Other gurus can help too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:32am On Mar 20, 2016
Please I want to get something straight, please don't laugh at me, let's say I am offered an admission now in a US, I have payed my admission fee and every other necessary fee, must I pay my tuition or a percentage of it before I am given visa, before I leave this country or I will pay when I reach the school? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by frazak: 12:59am On Mar 20, 2016
Walspring:

Yes and there are many grin

Anything

I need a us mobile number 2 verify one of my claims online,the whole process is very simple,a verification pin would be sent to the US number den,d pesin will send it back,so dat I can complete the process
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by aadeyi: 1:00am On Mar 20, 2016
Adazlolly:
Please I want to get something straight, please don't laugh at me, let's say I am offered an admission now in a US, I have payed my admission fee and every other necessary fee, must I pay my tuition or a percentage of it before I am given visa, before I leave this country or I will pay when I reach the school? Your response will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

No one is advised to pay either part/full tuition before getting visa. Even the VO will not advise it as it does not stand any ground to determine if your visa application will be approved or not. To the best of my knowledge 98% of US school will not ask you for any deposit until you are ready to register for classes.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 1:09am On Mar 20, 2016
gunther6:

Your scores look good. Any research works, projects, papers, relevant work experience on your profile? Did you talk to any of the econ professors in those schools before or during the application process? Did you apply on time..before potential advisors got their research group filled up? check out more schools too as already suggested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 1:14am On Mar 20, 2016
frazak:

I need a us mobile number 2 verify one of my claims online,the whole process is very simple,a verification pin would be sent to the US number den,d pesin will send it back,so dat I can complete the process

Oh I see..

If I may ask, is that how you give your Naija number out to someone to use it and verify one of his claims online

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.