Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,194 members, 7,835,965 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (292) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (786935 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by amanze15(m): 10:38pm On Mar 24, 2016
[quote author=stoicism post=44079685][/quote] which scholar cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy na Naija i come from o, na my graduate GPA be that cheesy cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 10:39pm On Mar 24, 2016
I just opened my email and saw an offer from Brandeis University. Its unbelievable because i thought my profile wasn't good enough for the school cuz of its high rank. They offered me $30,000 scholarship award!

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 10:49pm On Mar 24, 2016
malory84:
I just opened my email and saw an offer from Brandeis University. Its unbelievable because i thought my profile wasn't good enough for the school cuz of its high rank. They offered me $30,000 scholarship award!

Congrats.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by malory84: 10:52pm On Mar 24, 2016
godG:

Congrats.

Thanks a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:10pm On Mar 24, 2016
malory84:
juicy offer
congrats

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
Fortissimo:

I mean is it because of the extended work permit granted to STEM grads.

If the rules guarding opt still remain the same, you guys should know that extension is not automatic. Your STEM OPT won't be renewed if you didn't do your 1 year post opt in your field of study.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:23pm On Mar 24, 2016
Fortissimo:

But ghettos dey everywhere na. even in NY and Cali.

Brooklyn, the right ventricle of NYC is a modern ghetto.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:37pm On Mar 24, 2016
Anyiogwu:

Bro, please I have one more questn, my family that filed for me actually live in columbia and I dnt really want to stay there, can you advise a newbie like me to relocate to New york and start life there?

I plan to enroll for CNA program first, I heard 2weeks course is available, and while working as a CNA, I can then enroll for the courses in community college like you advised me.

Can I actually pay my rents and bills from the CNA and is there something like 2 weeks CNA course for real and are there jobs for them ?

@imperiouxx, please I still need your guidelines

We'll from online findings, CNA jobs in nursing homes in NYC pay between $9.50 - $11/hr. People live on that but you're going to work your ass off to get enough that can sustain you. Its equivalent in hospital is patient care assistant (PCA), that pays between $14 - $17/hr but the bad news is that hospitals might not call unless you have at least 6 months experience as a CNA. With this, the decision is left to you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oganlalasokun: 11:40pm On Mar 24, 2016
pls how much is canadian dollar to naira exchange rate
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
don4ye:

14k$For Bridgeport and 12k$ for Valparaiso ni. I placed a call with Bridgeport the lady said I can put in for assistantship while on campus.

No amount of money is enough. The city is nice for a starter.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:42pm On Mar 24, 2016
imperiouxx:

We'll from online findings, CNA jobs in nursing homes in NYC pay between $9.50 - $11/hr. People live on that but you're going to work your ass off to get enough that can sustain you. Its equivalent in hospital is patient care assistant (PCA), that pays between $14 - $17/hr but the bad news is that hospitals might not call unless you have at least 6 months experience as a CNA. With this, the decision is left to you.
Hope she is aware that they they also clean poop of patients and bathe them as well. It's a very dirty job that doesn't really pay that much. It's better to get RN and earn something more decent. But while working on your RN studies you can work as a CNA.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:44pm On Mar 24, 2016
Fortissimo:

Thot you're done with school. R u doin a PhD in NY?

Studies continue. I'm taking courses for grad studies in PA studies.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:45pm On Mar 24, 2016
slimmy2005:
Hope she is aware that they they also clean poop of patients and bathe them as well. It's a very dirty job that doesn't really pay that much. It's better to get RN and earn something more decent. But while working on your RN studies you can work as a CNA.

Yea, I guess that's his plan and a good one if nursing is his passion.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 11:58pm On Mar 24, 2016
Theflint1:
Boss, suppose someone studies Pharmacy in Nigeria and wishes to use it to work in the US, what steps should that person take in order that his pharmacy degree from Nigeria be relevant?

US Healthcare system is different (so they believe), so they don't take foreign trained medical practitioners who wasn't trained in America. Even the medical schools don't take foreign degree equivalent except in dentistry where you can be admitted as foreign trained dentist and undergo few more years of training. As to your pharmacy, I'm sorry, you may have to start over again or go for something related in MS/PhD such as pharmaceutical science etc.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by electronic(m): 12:00am On Mar 25, 2016
slimmy2005:
You mean the Stem of a plant or the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)?

grin heheheheeeeh... grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 12:01am On Mar 25, 2016
dickoflife:
Oga sir dem don send my own I-20 o

Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 12:05am On Mar 25, 2016
GboyegaD:

As in economics is crazy and unfairly competitive because thw core courses you need are mainly: Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Macroeconomics, Intermediate Macroeconomics and Intermediate Microeconomics. The 1st two are taken while taking the usual undergraduate cores where students take courses from various faculties towards credits during their 1st 60 credits. So you only take the other two if you intend going to graduate school to study economics or you want to learn more about economics and also minor maths at least and take Calculus 1-3, and a few other Maths courses. This is one disadvantage for us because we do not take enough Math courses and this isn't placing us in a good position compared to kids who do their 1st degree in the U.S.

Two unparallel curricula. That's why sometimes, switching fields takes extra miles for us but for them is just about taking the appropriate entrance tests.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:07am On Mar 25, 2016
Please I need some naira to order for my transcript from Nigeria. If you need to pay sevis fee or application fee online. I would gladly help. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by electronic(m): 12:11am On Mar 25, 2016
malory84:
Please is Communication Disorder among the STEM degrees?

grin heheeheeeeheee. grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by purplesummer(f): 12:16am On Mar 25, 2016
GboyegaD:

You could check on the career page for non-teaching GA awards. It could be some offices like Graduate Student Office, Student Hostels as Community/Resident Advisor position amongst others.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate

Mekurexx, got it. Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Brigadier7(m): 12:18am On Mar 25, 2016
imperiouxx:

US Healthcare system is different (so they believe), so they don't take foreign trained medical practitioners who wasn't trained in America. Even the medical schools don't take foreign degree equivalent except in dentistry where you can be admitted as foreign trained dentist and undergo few more years of training. As to your pharmacy, I'm sorry, you may have to start over again or go for something related in MS/PhD such as pharmaceutical science etc.
lemme add a little to this! In Dentistry you will be accepted and spend 2years to get their degree but ALTHOUGH there are some States that allow foreign train dentist to practice after meeting some conditions!! Them for the Medics, if you Pass the USMLE you will get into a residency program! The higher your score in Usmle the brighter your chances of geting a good residency!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:25am On Mar 25, 2016
Brigadier7:
lemme add a little to this! In Dentistry you will be accepted and spend 2years to get their degree but ALTHOUGH there are some States that allow foreign train dentist to practice after meeting some conditions!! Them for the Medics, if you Pass the USMLE you will get into a residency program! The higher your score in Usmle the brighter your chances of geting a good residency!!
There are a lot of factors, not just high scores. Grace of God as well

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Brigadier7(m): 12:29am On Mar 25, 2016
slimmy2005:
There are a lot of factors, not just high scores. Grace of God as well
Very true!!! Most Nigerian Trained doctors I know are all in Physician Residencies(Internal or Family Medicine)! I don't tink I have seen any in Surgery Residency
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by stoicism: 12:53am On Mar 25, 2016
biikeys:

Aim at 4.0 and you can achieve it..or something really close
Ok tnx
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:25am On Mar 25, 2016
malory84:

Congrats. Nice one. I guess this is where you'll be going. What program?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by zeezahbee(f): 4:10am On Mar 25, 2016
GboyegaD:

I've been around but not on travel section. I am doing good, thanks for asking. How are you too?

Old members, where all of una ooo: MsNas, Virginice, pDude, mystiqueme, biikeys, amefrica, this ETSU man (I can't remember his moniker), also this lady in Houston, walspring, etc.
Lol, how are you? Guess you are dealing with the weather.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 4:24am On Mar 25, 2016
don4ye:

Someone said clinical psychology is very lucrative for Yankee.. House na true?

Yeah, after you get the job smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by biikeys(m): 4:25am On Mar 25, 2016
malory84:

And what's the tuition? Think more in terms of how much you have to pay out of pocket than the actual value of your award.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 4:55am On Mar 25, 2016
Chairs ke? Na table I want o.. Lol.. I was wondering, how easy will it be to secure another I-20 if I am in the country 20 days to the start of the programme. I put in for communications at the masters level but I am almost done with my masters here in Nigeria and want another field but convincing the VO won't be easy if I had done that from the start that is apply for a fresh undergraduate degree.
imperiouxx:

Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 5:00am On Mar 25, 2016
God bless you bro.
malory84:
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bbdd: 5:03am On Mar 25, 2016
zeezahbee:
Lol, how are you? Guess you are dealing with the weather.

Madam zee I greeet o.
What's up, hope you're good.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by emmadeking(m): 6:26am On Mar 25, 2016
Centrix:
[b][b]ANNOUNCEMENT: If you're landing in New York and need a place to stay for a day or two before heading out to school and cannot afford the exorbitant costs of staying in a hotel (upwards of 100 dollars per night), I may have a solution for you. You could stay at my place for only $30 cheesy Price is negotiable though.

This pertains to only students. Brother got to make some cash grin
Bro. What is d cost of accommodation in NY and Texas

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.