Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,950 members, 7,817,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:43 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (335) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (784691 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 9:25am On Apr 19, 2016
cseejhay:

i am interested sire....how can i get it...make payment and get ma stuff?

I sent you a PM

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 10:21am On Apr 19, 2016
Holudarey01:

see two organic chemists
Baba Analytical, just sit down for corner dey whine your boys wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dickoflife(m): 10:58am On Apr 19, 2016
fortissimo congrats. i am happy for you. if i were given a choice between myself and u on whom a vo should issue a visa i would pick yoy cus i see your passion for helping others on this thread. never stop. God rewards the faithful.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:10am On Apr 19, 2016
dickoflife:
fortissimo congrats. i am happy for you. if i were given a choice between myself and u on whom a vo should issue a visa i would pick yoy cus i see your passion for helping others on this thread. never stop. God rewards the faithful.

Wow man I'm so touched by this. May God bless you abundantly. If you haven't gotten your visa yet, I pray your interview to be much more pleasant than mine.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:11am On Apr 19, 2016
Holudarey01:

see two organic chemists

Analytical master. Nanotech is the future!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 19, 2016
Fortissimo:
So my people, my visa was approved today which is exactly 120 days before the start date on my I-20. My interview itself was very short with just 3 questions, so I will try describe my general experience today to add more benefit for those that may want to have an idea of how things might work.

Got to the consulate about 45mins before my scheduled time and was immediately accosted by some "gentleman" that tried to convince me that my printouts had to be coloured, stapled in some certain way, some new requirement/ regulation, etc. He tried leading me to his shop near the carpark to do the needful and obviously part with some money. From the knowledge gained on NL I knew to steer clear away from him and other shysters.

So I joined the queue but I guess I was a bit early as they were calling people for an earlier time slot. Met a lady and her brother who had come to renew their H1b visas and I made small talk with the lady. Tried making small talk with some other female F1 applicant but she wasn't having much of it. Perhaps nerves?

They finally called us to go through but some people were held back because they brought in prohibited items. This obviously delayed them. I think there is a rule that you have to join the queue from the back if you have to step away to drop prohibited items.

So finally entered the highly venerated US Consulate! Joined a queue that I thought led directly to the VOs. I started hearing the infamous speakers announcing denials...So the queue coordinator told me to go to a window and I thought wow finally! I walked up to the window full of nerves...the lady there wanted to take my biometrics and asked me to place my left hand fingers...I kept placing my right hand fingers until she repeatedly chided me. Mehn I thought wow this interview is going downhill. She asked for my documents and I struggled to pass them through the little slit until she told me just to slide them in. She did some checking and handed me back my passport with my I20 inside. I though I had been denied! I stared at her dumbfounded and refused to collect the documents until she said I was to go give them to the actual VO! I was surprised sef cos she had a Nigerian accent and I expected a VO with an American accent.

So I joined the real queue to speak to the VO...she was very respectful and courteous. Greeting people even before they reached her cubicle. Even those that she denied, she denied respectfully.

So now the transcript:

VO: Please pass your documents...just your passport. Are you a student? Ok please pass your I-20 as well. Ok...so tell me about your travel plans.

Me: I am going to Mississippi State University (MSU) for my Masters in Chemistry. I will be working with Dr. Bleep in the synthesis of natural products and I expect to use the skills I learn in MSU, when I come back to work for a pharmaceutical research institute in Nigeria.

VO: Typing...So where are you working / are you working currently?

Me: I used to work in Bleep but resigned 6 months ago to give myself sufficient time to prepare my applications and prepare for studies at the graduate level.

VO: Typing...so how are you financing your studies?

Me: I was awarded full financial aid by the school. I also have some additional personal funds.

VO: Typing...Ok I will approve your visa...(couldn't hear much past this point. she gave me the white slip and said I would need my I-20 and Sevis receipt when I enter the US).

No documents were requested.

At numerous points in the interview (especially during the pauses) I started having doubts that maybe I might be denied. I had to keep pushing those thoughts away.

Glory be to God alone!

NL is a treasure trove of info. We even have threads here that VOs themselves respond to queries. I also encourage applicants to look through the US Embassy (Nigeria)'s youtube videos, facebook page and also educationusa's facebook page. Knowledge is power.
congrat oooo,did u do GRE exam?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 19, 2016
Momoney77:

Thanks 4 de quick response.
So when i sign and date it, that's all. also what date is prefarable, is the date i recived it?

Lol bros. Just put the date that you signed it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by halidaf: 11:15am On Apr 19, 2016
masquellett:

Pls, How did you check thiis info bro, cos am still expecting my i-20 and my school resumes September. I hope am still safe!

Congrats Fors.....
very safe boss
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 11:16am On Apr 19, 2016
pepe4reps:
congrat oooo,did u do GRE exam?

Thank you oo. Yes I did.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by halidaf: 11:17am On Apr 19, 2016
Fortissimo:

Hahahaha. Probably not! Quite a surreal feeling. You go experience am too.
amen
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by harkynon(m): 11:46am On Apr 19, 2016
HOUSE AND FELLOW TEAM... I SALUTE
Please, there is an issue which 3 different current studying student have been giving different opinions about.
THE ISSUE: visa granted since dec 2015 for MSC, but she could not go till now hoping to defer till spring 2017 (january)

QUESTION: Does she need to go back to VO for another visa upon the 2years validity of previous visa? Can she proceed to her school with an updated I20 with POE issue.

Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by worry359(m): 11:55am On Apr 19, 2016
harkynon:
HOUSE AND FELLOW TEAM... I SALUTE
Please, there is an issue which 3 different current studying student have been giving different opinions about.
THE ISSUE: visa granted since dec 2015 for MSC, but she could not go till now hoping to defer till spring 2017 (january)
QUESTION: Does she need to go back to VO for another visa upon the 2years validity of previous visa? Can she proceed to her school with an updated I20 with POE issue.
Thanks

I would say not worth the risk travelling without contacting the visa people first.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by don4ye: 12:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
worry359:

I would say not worth the risk travelling without contacting the visa people first.

Seconded and you must give strong reason for staying back
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 12:28pm On Apr 19, 2016
Congrats Fortissimo... cheesy very easy interview. All the best from now on. wink
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2016
cutemorgan:
Baba Analytical, just sit down for corner dey whine your boys wink
baba, I still dey loyal to you o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:21pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fortissimo:

Analytical master. Nanotech is the future!
baba, I still be your apprentice o. Master ke?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:26pm On Apr 19, 2016
sureb0y:
Congrats Fortissimo... cheesy very easy interview. All the best from now on. wink

Thanks man.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by dicapino: 1:40pm On Apr 19, 2016
SirRiddy your numba...switched off
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oknee: 2:22pm On Apr 19, 2016
don4ye:
Book your appointment ooo date don de full o.. It has enter May o

Hi, can my brother who is still waiting for his kaplan 1-20 book nw? His admission is for may 30th
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by transfast: 2:32pm On Apr 19, 2016
Hi, we want to ensure all senders are safe and secure and US law required documentation at certain transactions levels for your security.

slimmy2005:
260 compared to 305
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by don4ye: 2:39pm On Apr 19, 2016
oknee:

Hi, can my brother who is still waiting for his kaplan 1-20 book nw? His admission is for may 30th

Receive your i20 first o.. What you need to be arranging now is SEVISFEE money.. Get it ready so that as soon as you received ur i 20 u can pay asap. get hold of your school to send the i20 or why delay?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by oknee: 2:58pm On Apr 19, 2016
don4ye:

Receive your i20 first o.. What you need to be arranging now is SEVISFEE money.. Get it ready so that as soon as you received ur i 20 u can pay asap. get hold of your school to send the i20 or why delay?

Thanks for the info.. kaplan are still processing it but I was worried that the interview dates may be filled up before he receives it. Hopefully dates will be available when it fiinally arrives.
Thanks once more.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 3:55pm On Apr 19, 2016
Bbdd you fit link me up with anyone in MSU?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:08pm On Apr 19, 2016
Fortissimo:

Thank you oo. Yes I did.
kk.....but pls what is d actual score of GRE dat I may need with my third class to obtain an admission for economics into any of d university in USA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 4:17pm On Apr 19, 2016
pepe4reps:
kk.....but pls what is d actual score of GRE dat I may need with my third class to obtain an admission for economics into any of d university in USA

There are some Eco guys around that should be able to help you out. But first thing is to check that the school can overlook ur GP if you have a high GRE. Some schools have absolute cutoffs that cannot be ignored. Other schools are more open and say that stronger parts of your application can overcome the weaker parts.

I'd suggest that your GRE, TOEFL, SoP, LORs need to be extremely strong. It's going to be tough, but you can do it if you really want it. Your SoP should also explain your grades. Not in a self pitying way but you should spin your story to show how much stronger you are, the lessons you've learnt, etc. If you can package your application well, you'll have your pick of schools.

Regarding GRE, aim for 330. If you can achieve that, you'll be on the right path.

But never ever be discouraged. If you can dream it, forget any limitation you may think you have. Just believe.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by monsieur2016(m): 5:00pm On Apr 19, 2016
Do you need to print out the completed ds160 form?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by gunther6(m): 5:05pm On Apr 19, 2016
pepe4reps:

How third is your third class.. 2.3ish or 1.5ish... It makes a world of difference. I'm a prospective Graduate student in Econs too
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2016
slimmy2005 pls I sent you a pm. I have a little problem
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 19, 2016
monsieur2016:
Do you need to print out the completed ds160 form?

For personal consumption you can. But don't take it with you to the embassy!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:59pm On Apr 19, 2016
This waiting period has been a trying time I must tell you.
Since I've not heard from 3 of the 4 schools I applied to, I decided to bombard them with mails.
It's like those people have mastered my mail so they refused to reply my mails.
Guess what?
I used my other email address to send the chemistry grad coordinator at ETSU a message inquiring about my application. While we exchange mails, he discovered that a wrong transcript and cover letter was forwarded to the department from the grad school.
I had a BSc in Ind chemistry with interest in MSc Analytical Chemistry but the transcript in my file showed B.pharm with interest in molecular biology.
I was sweating profusely.
So I decided to contact the graduate admin in charge of chemistry but she didn't reply my mail.
I took the courage and called her and she discovered that it was an error.
She then forwarded the correct file. I know the departmental decision has been made, according to grad coord; he said the graduate school would get bk to me shortly.
All these drama happened just 1-2 hrs ago.
Keeping my fingers crossed. I know God will favour me.

My advice to those in my shoes waiting for admission, don't hesitate to ask the grad coord your status; even if it involves calling.
Still trying to recover from the shock

cc slimmy2005 fortissimo

Cutemorgan, thanks for standing by me

I just hope this won't be a backlash...
gurus in the house

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by olupentane(m): 6:06pm On Apr 19, 2016
OjaP:

R programming? My advice is for you to even start learning the program from now. The program may seem confusing but constant practice is the key. You may not have enough time to start that when you get here. There also many online materials available including YouTube that you can learn from. The software is also free to download. Statistics is hard undecided undecided
Thanks Bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) (338) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria... / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.