Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,552 members, 7,837,112 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 - Travel (36) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 (787215 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:39am On Sep 22, 2015
kennyrony:

Bro am expecting you soon

Yes big boss and i am coming #teamspring

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 9:44am On Sep 22, 2015
pennstate:

@LagosNIV
If a person have a full time sponsorship plus monthly stipend from the department for a PhD program. Do one still need to show SOA at the point of Visa Interview.

Nice question but if am not wrong financial statement is still needed to proof that applicant can afford his flight fee down to Obamaland grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 10:55am On Sep 22, 2015
Walspring:

Nice question but if am not wrong financial statement is still needed to proof that applicant can afford his flight fee down to Obamaland grin grin grin

But some schools categorically state that the level of funding that would be received will be enough to procure a student visa for the prospective student cos the school will take care of all funds including health insurance. I guess it's a two way thing Abi what do you think oga Walspring.. To trek go US na another option naa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2015
pennstate:

@LagosNIV
If a person have a full time sponsorship plus monthly stipend from the department for a PhD program. Do one still need to show SOA at the point of Visa Interview.

Statements of account are never required. But yes, it is possible that they might ask for it during your interview.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:50pm On Sep 22, 2015
pennstate:

@LagosNIV

Addressing this first. Everlasting fellowship is not guaranteed by any PhD programs. You only continue getting the fund if academically you're good each semester. Also some programs will not promise funding in the final year due to internship. So, you will need your SOA at the embassy to show you can still fit in if all these happened.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:51pm On Sep 22, 2015
stolid:
Special shout out to Slimmy05, Imperiouxx, Sirriddy, Bigfrancis21, Walspring, Ebdib, MsNas, Profojah, Dicapino, and in fact, everyone lol! You lots don't know how much I know about you. cheesy

Special cheers to you sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 1:53pm On Sep 22, 2015
@ kun1011, awe2015 and Yjc07

Cheers guys!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 2:02pm On Sep 22, 2015
Yjc07:
@NIVLagos,I am not d one in this situation,but you are absolutely correct he/she could get a ban.Someone who is doing a 4yr program only seek my opinion on this and I did advised him against it.At least I know little about d immigration laws..

Why the implicating questions? No one mandates where you should stay, that's why putting your school address to every part that asks for your contact in U.S is the best, either at the embassy or POE. After all your primary purpose in U.S is to school and through the school anyone can locate you. Simple.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by imperiouxx(m): 2:10pm On Sep 22, 2015
akin3102:
Oga, New mexico no dey give fund like that oh and their tuition is on the high side..Try and have above 300 in your GRE and you stand a chance of getting assistanship in Kingsville.Environmental Engr. dept is well funded in Kingsville.I don't know more about other schools,good luck..

stolid: Also, I'll be writing the GRE in three weeks, and saying I'm still very much unprepared would be an understatement. I've got the following schools in mind:

University of Cincinnati
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Tech.
University of Wyoming
Texas A & M, Kingsville

What's good with you my brother? In bold above, were you talking about that particular school of mining or schools in NM all combined? I schooled in NM and got funded throughout. Likewise other graduate colleagues in the school. Another thread member here got accepted to another school in NM with funding. NM schools are among the cheapest in tuition in U.S. Cost of living too makes sense than other parts.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by pennstate(m): 2:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
LagosNIV:

Statements of account are never required. But yes, it is possible that they might ask for it during your interview.

Thanks, that's all I want to know.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by pennstate(m): 2:33pm On Sep 22, 2015
imperiouxx:

Addressing this first. Everlasting fellowship is not guaranteed by any PhD programs. You only continue getting the fund if academically you're good each semester. Also some programs will not promise funding in the final year due to internship. So, you will need your SOA at the embassy to show you can still fit in if all these happened.
Yes you must maintain a certain grade in this case B or higher. Thanks all the same.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by godG: 3:20pm On Sep 22, 2015
GboyegaD:

You cpuld get jeans from Old Navy and Aeropostale for less than $20 a pair for now.

Thank you, Oga Gboye'.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Yjc07: 4:13pm On Sep 22, 2015
I was asked to pick up my passport tomorrow at GSS document collection center Abuja,but when I check on its website d status says *passport still will the America Embassy*...Does it mean it won't be available for collection tomorrow as instructed?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 4:26pm On Sep 22, 2015
stolid:
Hello everyone, I really must commend you all for your very informative and insightful posts here. This is the Nigeria Nigerians crave, but the media won't capture.

Anyway, I'll like to know what the Job prospect is like for Environmental Engineers in the U.S. I've read online reviews, and most seem to be dissuading. I have a Bachelor of Engineering degree in Civil Engineering, but would like to major in Environmental Engineering; it's where my strength lies. However, I'm ready to give it some thought if it turns out seemingly an unpropitious choice.

Also, I'll be writing the GRE in three weeks, and saying I'm still very much unprepared would be an understatement. I've got the following schools in mind:

University of Cincinnati
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Tech.
University of Wyoming
Texas A & M, Kingsville

Given I'm not as rich as most of you lol, I'll be needing some sort of funding. I do not have stellar grades, but I hope to do pretty okay in the GRE. I have a CGPA of 3.83/5. Do you think these schools are relatively safe, and should fund? I've made my enquiries but would still need firsthand information, pardon me.

Special shout out to Slimmy05, Imperiouxx, Sirriddy, Bigfrancis21, Walspring, Ebdib, MsNas, Profojah, Dicapino, and in fact, everyone lol! You lots don't know how much I know about you. cheesy

GRE does require some quality time for preparation. Be it easy as it may seem on the surface, the exam can be very tricky. Less than 1 month of preparation for the GRE IS NOT enough. You need at least 6 weeks or higher of intensive preparation to do well on the exam. From my experience so far, the best people in GRE who I have known have often spent 3 months or more studying for the exam. I have not yet seen anybody who prepared in less than a month that scored 310 and above. A 300 score in under 4 weeks of preparation might be obtainable if you are actually smart naturally but to get a high score that puts you at an advantage over other applicants from top-scoring Chinese students, you need at least a 310.

I strongly recommend that you reschedule your exam date by 1 more month to enable you study intensively. You NEED quality time to learn the tricks involved in the GRE exam. You might think it is a joke but seeing a 286 score displayed on the screen after 3 hours+ of gruelling exam questions and brain racking on your exam day is not a pleasant experience to have. This is coming from people who have thought that the GRE was an easy walk-over only to come back from the exam center like they had encountered a ghost.

Your need for a high GRE score is even more pertinent given your undergraduate CGPA of 3.85, which would likely come out to a 3.2/4.0, which you would need to back up with a strong GRE score.

The schools you've selected are ok. Those were good selections.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by bigfrancis21: 4:29pm On Sep 22, 2015
Yjc07:
Please,can someone say at POE that he will be staying with a family friend d duration of his program,even if it was initially declared in the DS- 160 form that there was no friend or relative in the US?.

I see no problem with that. They don't usually ask that kind of question at the POE anyway. Questions asked are usually 'what are you coming to the US for', or 'is this your first time to the US', etc. Time spent at the POE is very brief, and in under a minute or two you would be on your way to the carousel to grab your luggage.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 22, 2015
Thanks a lot, Bigfrancis21. I'll look into what you've said. Thanks a lot.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
imperiouxx:

Why the implicating questions? No one mandates where you should stay, that's why putting your school address to every part that asks for your contact in U.S is the best, either at the embassy or POE. After all your primary purpose in U.S is to school and through the school anyone can locate you. Simple.
Great! I was about telling him this. It's just that I didn't want anyone to think otherwise.

The address of the school written on his I-20 already covered him. Could have been a different ball game if he's on tourist visa.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 8:20pm On Sep 22, 2015
cutemorgan:

But some schools categorically state that the level of funding that would be received will be enough to procure a student visa for the prospective student cos the school will take care of all funds including health insurance. I guess it's a two way thing Abi what do you think oga Walspring.. To trek go US na another option naa

One thing we should try and take note is that it is not school that will grant visa and the embassy states that financial statement is needed as proof and supporting document during interview and a VO decided to see the financial statement as a proof before granting visa to applicant or VO doesn't not but make sure you have it available during the interview
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Walspring: 8:22pm On Sep 22, 2015
Yjc07:
I was asked to pick up my passport tomorrow at GSS document collection center Abuja,but when I check on its website d status says *passport still will the America Embassy*...Does it mean it won't be available for collection tomorrow as instructed?

Don't give yourself headache, just expect an email from them as soon as your passport is ready and if you have received the email then follow their instruction
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by vivyval(f): 8:43pm On Sep 22, 2015
Hi guys, I shld be attending calmus for MCIS come spring 2016. I haven't applied to d embassy yet. Wil write ielts nxt mnth as u guys advised. The thing is, I started feeling I shld get a assistant ship cos I consider myself strong enough..what do u guys think? Which skols offer mcis with teaching assistanship... can someone tell me more about calmus; what's network engineer job opportunities like in california? I guess I stil hav time to remake my plans.
Thanks in anticipation. Walspring,imperiux, I sent u guys emails! Do reply. God bless.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Richmond996: 8:52pm On Sep 22, 2015
Yjc07:
@NIVLagos,I am not d one in this situation,but you are absolutely correct he/she could get a ban.Someone who is doing a 4yr program only seek my opinion on this and I did advised him against it.At least I know little about d immigration laws..

Why tf you lieing. Why u always lieing grin

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by cutemorgan(m): 9:03pm On Sep 22, 2015
Walspring:

One thing we should try and take note is that it is not school that will grant visa and the embassy states that financial statement is needed as proof and supporting document during interview and a VO decided to see the financial statement as a proof before granting visa to applicant or VO doesn't not but make sure you have it available during the interview

Thanks boss...Noted!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by zeezahbee(f): 10:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
kennyrony:

Longest time... How are you doing?
am good Kenny, been so busy jawe. work and school no easy. hope you enjoying usa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by virginice: 11:59pm On Sep 22, 2015
I have a question on the drop box visa renewal thingy. Does one have to travel home to do it or you may just pay online gtb send the passport to Nigeria with other required documents via DHL? a friend did his recently but was home for the break and just sent it from home. Do I have to fill ds-160? if yes, the part that says intended date of arrival, what should one fill?
any info wud be useful, thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by megadinho(m): 5:41am On Sep 23, 2015
Warm greetings,
I must confess, this thread has been so helpful... Kudos to all. I need assistance! I have HND in mech eng.&with 3.26/4.00{PTI) & am currently serving(Nysc). Am planning to do my masters next year(2016) in engineering in any good and affordable( not expensive) school in US. Please, I ll appreciate an outline of steps to make this a reality.....thanks and anticipating for replie$
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Stewee(m): 7:04am On Sep 23, 2015
ksa2much:

Please who is stewee ... ??

How may I help you?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Stewee(m): 7:05am On Sep 23, 2015
bayocanny:

He's one of the gurus here his into aviation I suppose.
Stewee abeg show face someone need ya help

Lol
How's it going bruh?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Stewee(m): 7:08am On Sep 23, 2015
ksa2much:

Please who is stewee ... ??

Please send me a pm
I respond to emails a lot faster.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:12am On Sep 23, 2015
virginice:
I have a question on the drop box visa renewal thingy. Does one have to travel home to do it or you may just pay online gtb send the passport to Nigeria with other required documents via DHL? a friend did his recently but was home for the break and just sent it from home. Do I have to fill ds-160? if yes, the part that says intended date of arrival, what should one fill?
any info wud be useful, thanks

Being in the country without your passport is illegal, so yes, you have to return to Nigeria to submit it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 23, 2015
LagosNIV:

Being in the country without your passport is illegal, so yes, you have to return to Nigeria to submit it.

I would also stress that what you really wouldn't want to happen is get randomly selected for an interview or have some kind of problem with your application. How would you get out of the US to come retrieve your passport that you sent to Nigeria (illegally)?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by djmakson(m): 7:31am On Sep 23, 2015
LagosNIV:

What then happens in a situation where one loses his/her passport while in US (say B1/B2 or even on F1)? How does one clear the 'mess'? Please clarify.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 by Canberra55: 7:57am On Sep 23, 2015
Ok peeps. New to the room.I salute all of una patapata. Plannin to take the SAT IN november. Abeg does anybody in here know of some schools that grant full tuition to international freshman students. I kno of some schools but an additional school from you could help a friend. I hail all of una.

(1) (2) (3) ... (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) ... (401)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / Securing Visa To France, Applying From Nigeria...

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.