Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,554 members, 7,816,343 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Travelling To Canada Part 9 - Travel (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (1040035 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by metrecube(m): 10:58pm On Oct 03, 2015
lamama1:
Good pple, I am confused nd I need clarification. I ws meant to resume school dis summer, but due to CiC nd their delay, I ve nt been able to meet up. Now I ve mailed to school to defer my admission last week, then cic send's medical request. Now I ve the new admission letter nd I ve done my medicals. Do you think I shld forward this new letter to them or just allow them use what they have with them??
What do u mean by summer ? Are u talking abt this year September which is fall. What term did u defer ur admission to? I guess its January. You don't need to forward ur new admission letter to CIC. Get ur trv and move to canny but u may need the admission letter at poe.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by obiscolly(m): 12:44am On Oct 04, 2015
lamama1:
Good pple, I am confused nd I need clarification. I ws meant to resume school dis summer, but due to CiC nd their delay, I ve nt been able to meet up. Now I ve mailed to school to defer my admission last week, then cic send's medical request. Now I ve the new admission letter nd I ve done my medicals. Do you think I shld forward this new letter to them or just allow them use what they have with them??
there's no need to forward the new letter in my opinion. As far as you have the TRV, you could still resume in January. You might just need to prove to them at entry into Canada that you deferred your admission.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by justicia: 5:56am On Oct 04, 2015
My people how una dey. Been in Canada now for 2 weeks. Everyone seem friendly here and it's beautiful and all. But it's not easy o, school and all. my advice is be prepared, be prepared, pay ur fees, know what ur program entails and ask questions, u lose nothing. wish u all the best! safe!

13 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chucksbadt(m): 6:44am On Oct 04, 2015
Good morning house. As i type this post, am a very sad man. I just checked my application status for the University Of Regina last night and i found out i wasn't accepted. I waited approximately 2 months for this decision, and that was the only school i applied to. I really don't know where to start at the moment.
Am a graduate of ANUC ghana with a CGPA of 3.08/4. Please someone should recommend a Canadian school for me with a less tedious admission process. Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by vinci500: 8:55am On Oct 04, 2015
First, never let anything take ur happiness away from you, trust me when i say greater things lie ahead. Before anything else I would like u to mail the faculty of graduate studies of UoR to know why ur application was rejected cos u had a pretty good CGPA, reason for that is, it would help you prepare for ur next application to oda institution of ur choice. I really don't know ur area of specialization but if ure keen on going to that province u can try University of Saskatchewan, they have a larger student base than UoR and also cheaper when it comes to tuition(I think) not to talk of scholarship programs & opportunities. But really with ur CGPA u have so many options. Don't bow ur head in shame people with lesser CGPA has gotten graduate admission program to Canada and urs is only a matter of time, trust me kiss
chucksbadt:
Good morning house. As i type this post, am a very sad man. I just checked my application status for the University Of Regina last night and i found out i wasn't accepted. I waited approximately 2 months for this decision, and that was the only school i applied to. I really don't know where to start at the moment.
Am a graduate of ANUC ghana with a CGPA of 3.08/4. Please someone should recommend a Canadian school for me with a less tedious admission process. Thank you

5 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by AverageNed: 9:25am On Oct 04, 2015
metrecube:

Its not too late. Apply asap. You still have like 12 weeks ahead of u. Trv processing takes averagely 8 weeks. You should be okay. Share your documents here for guru in d house to comment on it before u submit. Cheers.
Thank you very much sir!!
How much averagely should my father have in his account?
as he is the one sponsoring me
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by AverageNed: 9:28am On Oct 04, 2015
Are there any nigerians in the house who are or have graduated from brock university? how is the school generally?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ikem01(m): 9:36am On Oct 04, 2015
Hello nairalanders, my uncles company is sponsoring me, what do I need to submit, is it just the soa and letter of sponsorship. Is there any other requirements
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by metrecube(m): 10:20am On Oct 04, 2015
AverageNed:

Thank you very much sir!!
How much averagely should my father have in his account?
as he is the one sponsoring me

It depends on your school fees per year. But I think it should not be less than 6 million naira.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by metrecube(m): 10:24am On Oct 04, 2015
ikem01:
Hello nairalanders, my uncles company is sponsoring me, what do I need to submit, is it just the soa and letter of sponsorship. Is there any other requirements

Submit the company CAC documents and their tax clearance also. Goodluck.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by CassieV(f): 12:41pm On Oct 04, 2015
Hello everyone.. *deep sigh* I don't even know where to start.. *sigh* *sigh* This is probably going to be a very long post but I'll try to make it short...

I've followed A few international thread here, Germany, Finland, UK, Canada..

I followed the UK thread for a while because I was looking to do a PGDE there. I asked if while schooling and working, I'll be able to pay my tuition fees from the money I make.. I was advised to not take that risk, and I should check the Germany or Finland thread for free tuition schools. I thanked them and left the thread..

I went to the Germany thread, I read through some posts, visited the daad site and searched for schools.. I have a B.Tech in Statistics but I've decided to go into education, so I searched for education courses but they're only taught in German language. There are no English taught Education courses in the schools I found in the daad site. I went back to the site and asked for help and I was told that I'll have to learn German before I can study education there and I was further advice to check the Canada thread for Universities that offer post graduate diploma in education..

Note: All the time I was checking the Germany thread, I was going through the Finland thread too and I encountered the same dilemma I had in the Germany thread.

Half heartedly, I moved over to the Canada thread because frankly their tuition fees are just as expensive as UK's.. I came across a post where someone was saying that not all schools in Canada are expensive, I 'pm'ed him immediately and he asked me to check Brandon University and University of Winnipeg.. I have to say I don't understand half of what their tuition fees statements say but I can admit that it's not as scary as the other tuition fees I've seen.

In both of the University websites, I saw a program "English for Academic Purpose" and I have a few questions concerning it. I've emailed them but they won't reply me so I've decided to bring the questions here and hope that there are people here who can help me with the answers. . Here are the questions..

1) Do I need to get a TOEFL or IESTL certificate to apply for the English program?

2) Do I need a study permit as well as a student visa?

3) Will I be able to get a work permit while doing the program so that I can work to support myself?

4) Will I be able to get admission into the Faculty of Education in order to get a B.Ed (after degree)?

5) What are the requirements for the application to EAP?

6) Will I get any degree after completion of the course?

Please Note: I'm still very much interested in doing a PGDE, I've just always wanted to study English and this program doesn't take much time from what I read on the site and its not expensive too.

Please another thing is this, I'm serving somewhere in plateau state, and my network is really bad. I can't read through part 8 (trust me I've tried), so I'd really appreciate it if you guys can guide me on how to go about the visa application..

P. S. Please forgive my long post, and also forgive my question about the visa application, I understand that you don't want the thread closing fast because you're answering the question that has already been asked and answered before.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by obiscolly(m): 1:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
chucksbadt:
Things like this happen sometimes in life. It doesn't have to make you sad. It could end up being a blessing in disguise for you. I'll however advice like vinci500 stated to find the reason for your refusal from the school. Most school requires applicants getting course advisors before they are admitted and defaulting can be enough reason to be denied admission. Secondly, don't put all eggs in one basket. I'll advice you apply to 2-3 schools next time to increase your chances / options. Cheer up!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by edwinbiz(m): 4:57pm On Oct 04, 2015
lattychem:
I need help.... is it to late to submit application for university Saskatchewan and university of Regina January admission
No it is not
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by EmmaMsc(m): 6:33pm On Oct 04, 2015
Hello CassieV,
I can only answer your second question. Yes you need both a study permit and a temporary resident visa(TRV).
Check out this post by richcasey for more info on that.
Cheers

https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8/222#36148014

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 6:34pm On Oct 04, 2015
Hey, welcome to the Canada thread.
The probability of getting a TRV with such "English for Academic Purposes" program, for a Nigerian applicant, is almost exactly zero. I went on the program's website, and I see it is a 13-week program specifically designed to teach English to applicants from countries where English is not the main language. Such a program would imply to the VO (visa officer) that this is just a desperate and quick ploy for you to escape Nigeria. You should either apply for a post-graduate diploma/certificate or masters.

Also, I'd suggest you first think deeply about what it is that you want to study in Canada and why. If you can't convincingly explain to the VO why you are going for whichever course you choose, you would be likely to get a "Purpose of Visit" denial because the VO will not believe that you are a genuine student.

Further, since you have a B.Tech. in Statistics and only recently graduated, I suggest you choose a post-grad course that you can confidently link to statistics or science in general. VOs look for progression of study, which means that they need to be convinced that your prior educational trajectory is connected to whatever course you are going to study in Canada. What this means is that you should be able to convince the VO of why you are going for whatever course you would be studying in Canada. It is ok to change courses, just make sure you can convincingly explain this in an SOP.

In any case, you should try as hard as possible to read at least 100-200 pages of Part 8 of the thread to better inform yourself. It won't be the VO's business that you weren't able to access the internet to better prepare your application. Also, these links might help you.
CassieV:

4 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by CassieV(f): 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2015
thesoj:

Thank you very much for explaining that, I'll forget about the EAP for now..

I intend to do the PGDE in Mathematics, it's still related to my course, only I'm switching to education. . I want to teach secondary school mathematics. . It's related, isn't it?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 6:49pm On Oct 04, 2015
So sorry to hear about that. However, there is no university in Canada anyone on here would recommend that would guarantee you admission (no matter what your GPA is). This is why most applicants make the wise decision of applying to several schools, in order to mitigate the risk of ending up with zero admissions. Risk management is extremely important. I would suggest you apply to 3-4 schools in your next application. Also, since your GPA is not high (it only meets the minimum requirements) it is even much more important that you apply to more schools and prepare a very strong SOP.

Don't be sad bro. It is not the end of the world, you will recover from it as long as you apply strategically next time. Be encouraged.

PS: People on the thread would be able to better help you if you tell us what course you were applying for. Different schools offer different courses. Also, what's your undergraduate degree course?

chucksbadt:

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 6:53pm On Oct 04, 2015
You are welcome. Yes, a PGDE in Mathematics is very clearly related to a B.Tech. in Statistics. smiley

CassieV:
Thank you very much for explaining that, I'll forget about the EAP for now..

I intend to do the PGDE in Mathematics, it's still related to my course, only I'm switching to education. . I want to teach secondary school mathematics. . It's related, isn't it?

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chucksbadt(m): 7:55pm On Oct 04, 2015
thesoj:
So sorry to hear about that. However, there is no university in Canada anyone on here would recommend that would guarantee you admission (no matter what your GPA is). This is why most applicants make the wise decision of applying to several schools, in order to mitigate the risk of ending up with zero admissions. Risk management is extremely important. I would suggest you apply to 3-4 schools in your next application. Also, since your GPA is not high (it only meets the minimum requirements) it is even much more important that you apply to more schools and prepare a very strong SOP.

Don't be sad bro. It is not the end of the world, you will recover from it as long as you apply strategically next time. Be encouraged.

PS: People on the thread would be able to better help you if you tell us what course you were applying for. Different schools offer different courses. Also, what's your undergraduate degree course?

I have a B.Eng. Electronics And Communication Engineering.
I applied for a masters in Electronics Systems Engineering at U of R. I really love to Saskatchewan province, that's y am disappointed that i didn't get the admission.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chucksbadt(m): 7:58pm On Oct 04, 2015
obiscolly:

Things like this happen sometimes in life. It doesn't have to make you sad. It could end up being a blessing in disguise for you. I'll however advice like vinci500 stated to find the reason for your refusal from the school. Most school requires applicants getting course advisors before they are admitted and defaulting can be enough reason to be denied admission. Secondly, don't put all eggs in one basket. I'll advice you apply to 2-3 schools next time to increase your chances / options. Cheer up!

I have mailed them concerning the rejection, am yet to get a response from them.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by airhunde: 8:03pm On Oct 04, 2015
Don't we get list of hopefuls any more?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 8:33pm On Oct 04, 2015
Electrical Engineering (or a synonymous course such as "Electronics Systems Engineering" ) is a competitive course to be admitted into for graduate school because there are many other sharp applicants with good GPAs. So yeah, apply to like four schools and make sure your application SOP is on point.

You will get an admission if you put together a good application, but just don't assume that you will be admitted because you meet the minimum requirements.

Well, also apply to University of Saskatchewan, and reapply to University of Regina but this time with a much improved application. Before you reapply to URegina, perhaps you could email the program coordinator asking if they would consider your application if you reapplied again with a better application. You should also apply to schools in other provinces if there are no other schools that offer your course at Saskatchewan.

chucksbadt:
I have a B.Eng. Electronics And Communication Engineering.
I applied for a masters in Electronics Systems Engineering at U of R. I really love to Saskatchewan province, that's y am disappointed that i didn't get the admission.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Giov: 10:48pm On Oct 04, 2015
Pls guys I av an option to choose btw applying to University of Saskatchewan and Mcgill University, which of these do I stand a higher chance of getting admitted. Secondly I was told that I do not need to present a study leave letter dat letter of introduction fro my work place is enof buh I still av my reservation abt dat though. Pls guys respond
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ozome15(m): 12:12am On Oct 05, 2015
hey seen coper of ur topics on how to traverl, just want if u can please help me with the full details from step 1 on about CANADIAN. thank u.
justwise:
Canadian student visa thread part 9 is here as we have come to the end of part 8.

Part 8 is here for references. https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8

A big thank you to all the contributors, really appreciate your contributions and good luck to all TRV hopefuls.

Thank you
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nyquist(m): 7:41am On Oct 05, 2015
Hello house, I applied online on the 20th of Aug, I just received a message from cic to check my account, on logging in, I didn't see any new message. What could be the problem?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by olageeee(m): 7:50am On Oct 05, 2015
your employment letter,pay slips*I surpose u are a staff dre?ur leave letter and a letter to show that the company would be sponsoring and stating how much available for ur study and upkeep....
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by EmmaMsc(m): 8:03am On Oct 05, 2015
Nyquist:
Hello house, I applied online on the 20th of Aug, I just received a message from cic to check my account, on logging in, I didn't see any new message. What could be the problem?

Hi,
I also received a message on tuesday to check my account but no message there too.
House what could be wrong?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by EmmaMsc(m): 8:06am On Oct 05, 2015
Giov:
Pls guys I av an option to choose btw applying to University of Saskatchewan and Mcgill University, which of these do I stand a higher chance of getting admitted. Secondly I was told that I do not need to present a study leave letter dat letter of introduction fro my work place is enof buh I still av my reservation abt dat though. Pls guys respond

In my opinion, univ of saskatchewan, since Mcgill is much more highly rated than it. But if you have a very high CGPA, you can give it a try.
Cheers
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by EmmaMsc(m): 8:11am On Oct 05, 2015
ozome15:
hey seen coper of ur topics on how to traverl, just want if u can please help me with the full details from step 1 on about CANADIAN. thank u.

First say what you want to do in Canada then people can advise you appropriately.
Cheers
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Giov: 8:17am On Oct 05, 2015
olageeee:
your employment letter,pay slips*I surpose u are a staff dre?ur leave letter and a letter to show that the company would be sponsoring and stating how much available for ur study and upkeep....
The company isn't d one sponsoring me. My Bro is sponsoring me. I'm not yet entitled to a leave. So since I cannot present a study leave letter, can the other documents cover for it and wud dat affect anytin?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by olageeee(m): 8:34am On Oct 05, 2015
Hello house,I applied for my study permit july 24th,am yet to get a response oooo.....please what can I do pple?Note....is this happening to only me plsss?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by gabrola: 8:39am On Oct 05, 2015
olageeee:
Hello house,I applied for my study permit july 24th,am yet to get a response oooo.....please what can I do pple?Note....is this happening to only me plsss?
we are both together bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (401)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.