Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,208 members, 7,811,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:44 PM

Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences (45670 Views)

Words That Sound Like Opposite But Are Actually Synonyms / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / 10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Milly02(m): 8:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
Noted
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kilokeys(m): 8:35pm On Aug 30, 2015
andersyn:
I will like it if there's someone on Nairaland who
will help to summaries long post like this. Call
me Lazy but we all fall victims of not reading
long post most of the time. Persons like INTROVERT can help us with that.

Like, seriously?

Honestly, u are basically dumb
Actually, its obviously the same for many nlanders

2 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by cao(f): 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
I really hate no. 5, I always cringe when I find myself using it.
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Shevmaen(m): 8:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
Not even part of the list of things I say.
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Leyemoshood: 8:37pm On Aug 30, 2015
true op grin grin

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/3
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by darmys(f): 8:37pm On Aug 30, 2015
PERSONALLY grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
I don't Get!
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by zubimete(f): 8:41pm On Aug 30, 2015
i have never heard of crutch word in my life. Op plz wats ur discipline? My third year in English/Literary studies.

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by netguru1990: 8:42pm On Aug 30, 2015
;Auto CORRECT to the Rescue grin
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kingobozy: 8:43pm On Aug 30, 2015
zubimete:
i have never heard of crutch word in my life. Op plz wats ur discipline? My third year in English/Literary studies.

I'm studying Industrial physics

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by femi4: 8:50pm On Aug 30, 2015
Op, what about Habatically?
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Rapmoney(m): 8:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
andersyn:
You are really lazy! You call yourself literate and you can't read a post that's as short as this?

2 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by activelyA(f): 8:54pm On Aug 30, 2015
You are so on point!!!

I have seen them them do these damages imin reality...
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by jornie(m): 9:00pm On Aug 30, 2015
apparently,invariably

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by kingobozy: 9:02pm On Aug 30, 2015
Rapmoney:
You are really lazy! You call yourself literate and you can't read a post that's as short as this?

LOL. don't mind d guy jare. I'm guessing he didn't know what to type.

2 Likes

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by ignis: 9:06pm On Aug 30, 2015
op you forgot to add "I was like "
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Tzeronix(m): 9:12pm On Aug 30, 2015
Lol especially LITERALLY & BASICALLY. The people use those word these days enh. They have totally lost their essence and have now become very clichè.

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by iamweird: 9:30pm On Aug 30, 2015
andersyn:
Am not saying am the best oo! But mehn your laziness is epic jare :p

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by professore(m): 9:34pm On Aug 30, 2015
they make English to flow grin

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by PasNina(m): 9:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
Mznaett:
Abeg, na who english don help sef?undecided

Quote me @ur own risktongue
What risk?
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by ehis05(m): 9:52pm On Aug 30, 2015
Guilty of number 1....am changing gradually sha...after 1 of my yeye lecturer insulted me cuz I said actually...as if its nt in dictionary

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Seventeen(f): 9:55pm On Aug 30, 2015
ignis:
op you forgot to add "I was like "
'I was like' is not a word.. The topic says 6 common words dat ruin ur sentence. Moreover no 5 is 'like' so that takes care of it. smiley

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by ababale(m): 10:02pm On Aug 30, 2015
ThePeacemaker:
7--- Shebi
8--- Cani
9--- joor
10--- Oya......
LoL

Another is SHA
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by cana882(m): 10:38pm On Aug 30, 2015
U omitted "as in"

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Mckandre(m): 11:05pm On Aug 30, 2015
u missed "as in"

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Revolva(m): 11:18pm On Aug 30, 2015
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by ManuelRichard(m): 11:42pm On Aug 30, 2015
kingobozy:
1. Actually

Crutch words are words that we slip into sentences in order to give ourselves more time to think, or to emphasize a statement. Over time, they become unconscious verbal tics. Most often, crutch words do not add meaning of a statement. Actually is the perfect example of a crutch word. It is meant to signify something that exists in reality, but it is more often used as a way to add punch to a statement (as in, "I actually have no idea"wink. The next word is one of the most chronically misused crutch words in English.

2. Literally

This adverb should be used to describe an action that occurs in a strict sense. Often, however, it is used inversely to emphasize a hyperbolic or figurative statement: "I literally ran 300 miles today." Literally is one of the most famously used crutch words in English. The next one, however, may surprise you.

3. Basically

This word is used to signal truth, simplicity, and confidence, like in "Basically, he made a bad decision." It should signify something that is fundamental or elementary, but too often this word is used in the context of things that are far from basic in order to create a sense of authority and finality.

4. Honestly

This crutch word is used to assert authority or express incredulity, as in, "Honestly, I have no idea why he said that." However, it very rarely adds honesty to a statement. The next crutch word is perhaps the most famous.

5. Like

The cardinal sinner of lazy words like is interspersed in dialogue to give a speaker more time to think or because the speaker cannot shake the habit of using the word. Like should describe something of the same form, appearance, kind, character, or amount. But, very often, it is used involuntarily in conversation, just like um.

6. Obviously

This word should signify an action which is readily observable, recognized, or understood. Speakers tend to use it, however, to emphasize their point with regards to things that aren't necessarily obvious: "Obviously he should have thrown the ball to first base."

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/slideshows/umwords#actually

7.Really?
8.Seriously?

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by harsysky(m): 11:44pm On Aug 30, 2015
I think I'm quoting You at my own risk grin . I won't say English Language has or has not helped, but there is this confidence one who understands it always has. It also increaSes and makes your general reading comprehension faster. If something was taught in ur native , from my experience, I think You would really grasp it quickly unlike a language you didn't knw too well. So, the more you learn and understand English Language, the faster u comprehend writings/ spoken-words in English ,and ur confidence builds up, too.
Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by SirBlack999(m): 12:27am On Aug 31, 2015
kingobozy:
like seriously? grin

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by ExInferis(m): 12:45am On Aug 31, 2015
Basically what the OP is, like, saying is that literally all members of nairaland are actually guilty of this rape to english. Obviously he is wrong, because honestly no one makes such mistakes.

1 Like

Re: Six Common Words That Ruin Your Sentences by Rick9(m): 1:01am On Aug 31, 2015
BrightEye:
Am i the only that didn't get the op? How exactly do these words ruin ones sentences??
I wonder oh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WORST Waec Result 2017 Found By Us (Photo) / Secondary School Boys Excited As They Go On Suspension (Photo) / Bells University Student Celebrates 5.0 GP In Her Final Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.