Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,937 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

Any Mac Os X Fan Here - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Any Mac Os X Fan Here (3681 Views)

Lovers Of Apple Mac Os X / Best Karaoke Software For Mac OS X And Windows PC / Apple Ibook G4 Laptop*great Condition*mac Os Leopard*warri*benin- #70,000 Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Re: Any Mac Os X Fan Here by samir101ng(m): 6:19pm On Feb 10, 2010
texazzpete:

The major issues with Macbooks are the price tags, and the inferior hardware.
And before anyone takes issue with me over that last point, yes i know the unibody build quality is excellent. but there's no excusing the mediocre GPUs, lack of SD card slots until the most recent  versions, the non-removable batteries and the annoying need to purchase dongles just to connect a standard VGA projector or HDMI device.

When you add to that the poor state of Mac gaming in general, I can't see the Macbook as a compelling choice for me at the moment.

I've hackint0shed a couple of Dell netbooks and played around with the OS. It's pretty interesting and kinda cute. But i think that's all it's got going for it over Windows 7, which is every bit as stable.

I'll probably get a Mac mini which can also moonlight as my HTPC to properly put the OS through its paces.

@texazzpete

You are right on the money. I love the Mac OSX software but the hardware and price certainly deserve the critiscisms. Apple (like all business out to make a buck) will never give you a total solution to your needs ergo the bland GPU's, SD slots and HDMI output. Price is also a critical factor in the equation. I will gladly pay any amount for a product if i am satisfied of its quality and fulfills my needs. Just check out the line up

13-inch: 2.26GHz                                                  13-inch: 2.53GHz                                        15-inch: 2.53GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo                                                    Intel Core 2 Duo                                         Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB Memory                                                          4GB Memory                                                4GB Memory
160GB hard drive1                                                250GB hard drive1                                       250GB hard drive1
SD card slot                                                           SD card slot                                                 SD card slot                                                
Built-in 7-hour battery2                                         Built-in 7-hour battery2                               Built-in 7-hour battery2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics                           NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics                  NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
$1,199.00                                                              $1,499.00                                                  $1,699.00

15-inch: 2.66GHz                                                               15-inch: 2.8GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo                                                                      Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory                                                                             4GB Memory
250GB hard drive1                                                                   500GB hard drive1
SD card slot                                                                              SD card slot
Built-in 7-hour battery2                                                            Built-in 7-hour battery2  
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB                      NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
$1,999.00                                                                                 $2,299.00

17-inch: 2.8GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB Memory  
500GB hard drive1
ExpressCard/34 slot
Built-in 8-hour battery2
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB
$2,499.00

Source: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?aid=AIC-WWW-NAUS-K2-BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX&cp=BUYNOW-MACBOOKPRO-INDEX

Now, compare these prices with what you are getting in return. Do they match. The lowest is $1199. Go to Ebay and see what kind of system you will get with that kind of money. To me the Mac is becoming elitist in nature and is not geared towards the average consumer. Thats why its rare to see them here in Nigeria.
Re: Any Mac Os X Fan Here by texazzpete(m): 6:50pm On Feb 10, 2010
oyb:

feeling too lazy to google it

intel core2duo
nvidia quadro fx 3700m
4gb dr3 ram
500gb 7200 rpm sata hdd

will it work?

am dualbooting win 7 and ubuntu right now

guess i did the ubuntu more for the challenge than anything else - almost never access it

hmm, that's your lenovo, right?
Re: Any Mac Os X Fan Here by Nobody: 7:01pm On Feb 10, 2010
yep

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Highspeed Http Tunnel V5 / Very Clean UK Used core i5 Fujitsu Lifebook LH530 Is For Sale In Lagos / Youtube Videos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.