Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,907 members, 7,814,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago (65365 Views)

See What Billionaire’s Son, Paddy Adenuga Looked Like As A Young Boy / A Million Millionaires In A Decade / Learn How to Make SOAP; Like a Professional For FREE!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by columbus007(m): 10:51pm On Aug 30, 2015
And you come dey snap upside down,so who come get time to dey head,why I dey even comment sef undecided
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by WoodcrestMayor(m): 10:54pm On Aug 30, 2015
I still did dis in 2011/2012 during nysc in kwara state...lafiagi precisely grin
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Eniqurl(f): 11:00pm On Aug 30, 2015
Okay
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by iswallker(m): 11:19pm On Aug 30, 2015
Mykel4God:
Was going through my files when I came across this,so I decided to share with you guys.

This was how banking looks like as at year 2004.

The blue pen indicates the amount credited.

The red pen indicates the amount debited.

How many of you bank this way?uh
Cc: Lalasticlala

@op guess you read up side down bah..

Contunu..
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by laserjet: 11:36pm On Aug 30, 2015
This one na Wema Bank balance sheet grin
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by LockDown69(m): 2:39am On Aug 31, 2015
Yeah and you couldn't take a better picture wait a minute... is that upside-down ?
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by IYANGBALI: 3:20am On Aug 31, 2015
Op see as red ink full your account,how much you dey owe bank den?
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by 1dickatatime: 3:38am On Aug 31, 2015
Mykel4God:
Was going through my files when I came across this,so I decided to share with you guys.

How many of you bank this way?

I believe you want to say 1994 because as at 2004 most of the banks in Nigeria were already using robust banking softwares and were online realtime. I remember Prudent( now Skye), GT, Standard trust(now UBA) and many others deployed their first set of ATMs between 2003 and 2004. If any bank was still using this in 2004 it must be one of the very old generation banks which I really doubt, even pre-consolidation Nigerian banks have evolved from these pictures you show here. I really doubt this. As much as I want to agree that banking in Nigeria has evolved tremendously over the years I want to say for a fact that it wasnt this bad at 2004
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by MadCow1: 4:03am On Aug 31, 2015
Those were indeed the dark days of banking.

When you could only withdraw money from your branch and interbank transactions took 2 weeks to process.

When depositing or withdrawing money was a days job.
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by menxer: 6:48am On Aug 31, 2015
5p1naz:
Pic is upside down bro

And the camera quality nawaa ooooo grin grin

Rotate your phonegrin
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by agog: 7:14am On Aug 31, 2015
victorels:

If I had bank account then, it would be good old days still.
You want to mention First Bank, Union Bank
if first bank or union bank offer you job today won't you take it?
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 31, 2015
agog:

if first bank or union bank offer you job today won't you take it?

as long as it is an offer, I will take it. I love free things.
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by axeman10(m): 8:26am On Aug 31, 2015
That is LBIC, not a full fledge bank. More like a glorified 'ajo' company cheesy
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Pamelayoung: 8:58am On Aug 31, 2015
Mee eeeer!
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by MabraO: 9:04am On Aug 31, 2015
Mykel4God:

How many of you bank this way?

Mehn ur phn camera is do poor.
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by spiralwedge(m): 9:33am On Aug 31, 2015
laserjet:
This one na Wema Bank balance sheet grin

As a matter of fact, as at 2005 it was only in WEMA bank that you could withdraw cash from your account at ANY of their branches nationwide; which attracted N100 charge. NO OTHER BANK had this as at 2005.

Union bank was worse, from my experience - old aged staff struggling with the keyboard and asking a busy younger guy for help all the time, spending like 30 minutes on 1 customer and always running out of money and asking people to come back the next day.

Till today I don't have any cause to go to Union bank... I have my way of dodging to go there. I don't even think they still exist. OR DO THEY? I have never seen their ATM before grin grin grin
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Nobody: 9:36am On Aug 31, 2015
80s and early 90s and some banks on the early 2000
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Nobody: 9:40am On Aug 31, 2015
spiralwedge:

As a matter of fact, as at 2005 it was only in WEMA bank that you could withdraw cash from your account at ANY of their branches nationwide; which attracted N100 charge. NO OTHER BANK had this as at 2005.

Union bank was worse, from my experience - old aged staff struggling with the keyboard and asking a busy younger guy for help all the time, spending like 30 minutes on 1 customer and always running out of money and asking people to come back the next day.

Till today I don't have any cause to go to Union bank... I have my way of dodging to go there. I don't even think they still exist. OR DO THEY? I have never seen their ATM before
Wrong. STB started it. because of that it was popular among students
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by spiralwedge(m): 9:41am On Aug 31, 2015
woodmood:

Please get your facts right before posting that this is what banking looks like in 2004.
Perhaps maybe you are talking about community bank.
I make bold to say that NO commercial bank uses this booklet as at 2004 again.
Haba Nigerians with unsubstantiated postings.

the op is right. The changes started early 2005 with 2 or 3 banks and took some banks another 5 years. I am very very sure of this.

mykel4god, kindly revert topic to '2004' or 'about a decade ago'. thanks
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by spiralwedge(m): 9:51am On Aug 31, 2015
Mee234:

Wrong. STB started it. because of that it was popular among students

you were a student, u might not know much then. I know what I am talking about. I had to close all my accounts w/ NBM, FBN, Union, National bank and put all in WEMA.. because that was the only bank that could offer the closest service I used to enjoy abroad. Other ones followed.
But whatever happened to WEMA afterwards, others overtook them.
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by charlesucheh(m): 9:52am On Aug 31, 2015
Will boldly tell you that Union bank of Naija still strongly holds on to this style till this day!

1 Like

Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Nobody: 10:13am On Aug 31, 2015
spiralwedge:

you were a student, u might not know much then. I know what I am talking about. I had to close all my accounts w/ NBM, FBN, Union, National bank and put all in WEMA.. because that was the only bank that could offer the closest service I used to enjoy abroad. Other ones followed.
But whatever happened to WEMA afterwards, others overtook them.
I was a student in 2002 and at that time STB was the bank. she charges 105 niara for withdrawing out side ur branch. u are talking about 2005
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by spiralwedge(m): 10:16am On Aug 31, 2015
Mee234:

I was a student in 2002 and at that time STB was the bank. she charges 105 niara for withdrawing out side ur branch. u are 2005

OK. I succumb.
... and I'm surprised I didn't know about it despite my rigorous search.
Thanks anyways.
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Nobody: 10:31am On Aug 31, 2015
spiralwedge:

OK. I succumb.
I arrived back in Nigeria late 2003... and I'm surprised I didn't know about it despite my rigorous search.
Thanks anyways.
You are welcome. When u need to work out how much transport u need to go the bank for ur stipends, the bank that can gives u ur money for an amount less than ur transport makes STB a choice bank for students.

1 Like

Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by chikason68(m): 10:49am On Aug 31, 2015
2008 afribank wey me dey bank with were still operating like dat
Re: How Banking Looked Like A Decade And Half Ago by Lolaabokoku(f): 7:29pm On Sep 01, 2015
labodinho:

Until I checked closely,I thought ur name was lolaaboBAku
whateva grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Badly Printed New Naira Notes (Pictures) / How to get a POS for ATM cash withdrawal and Deposit business in Nigeria / I Released My House Document To My Cousin To Obtain Loan, How Can I Get It Back?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.