Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,496 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly (52948 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by metrosexual: 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

That girl he cant have
lipsrsealed cheesy
Lol... The Rita girl must be his present girlfriend or his ex
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Akposkool(m): 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2015
Am so guilty of most of the points above. This is why English is so dynamic. When you think you've gotten the answers, the questions will be changed surprisingly. Even some professors are guilty as well so I guess am not alone in this. But from this moment, there will be much editing in my diction. But to say the truth that sentiment meaning will cause more argument especially when am arguing with my man United oppositions. Those guys won't agree cus they are as confused as their philosopher coach Luis van gaal. Adios

5 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by potolistic(m): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
All dis ur grammar nr go confuse person in jesus name.......!!
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Onota: 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Educative. Informative. Noted. Thanks.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by cromz(m): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Other races have their English e.g American English, Indian English, why can't we legalise this errors and make Nigerian English

6 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by sam90s(m): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Good observations there grin, however, Pidgin/Broken-English justifies the use of some of those words, e.g. "go-slow", "barb". Employing their use in plain grammar will be wrong though.

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by davemike1(m): 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Dnt kia to knw hw correct it may be.. If ma last born mistakenly hears u use dat sentence ' can u barber me now?' u would b so ashamed of uslf so tey u no go fit chop for two days.

N for ur info dis is english language. D same prsn wey tell u say dis ones correct today, go still tell u tomao say na 'gbagaun!'

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 01, 2015
Bros your English too much

2 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by enitey(f): 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
Op....your intro ehn
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Tadephilip(m): 2:33pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nice one op
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by EllisMorgan(f): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thanks Pricechrming. I'm charmed by this.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by AdeniyiA(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
Am I the only one who saw the error in number 7
meanwhile OP can you barber me please .... cheesy sounds weird...

3 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Lovexme(m): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
enesty77:
Ouch.. English wahala. When are we going to start using our native languages as lingua franca

You're welcome smiley
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by amiibaby(f): 2:34pm On Sep 01, 2015
porrigeyam:
Thank you op.....very educational
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by guiddoti: 2:35pm On Sep 01, 2015
shocked lipsrsealed grin
Good job
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by dammillicious: 2:36pm On Sep 01, 2015
Can you barber me bawo?? you go confuse barber nauu, your head is at stake

4 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by freedom96: 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
NinaArsenal:
Lol. English language hard o. Since person understand wetin I talk, all follow join
is this what u'll tell them at the job interview?

2 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Aliyullahi(m): 2:37pm On Sep 01, 2015
English wahala. Thanks for the lesson anyway

3 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by LieDetector(m): 2:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
porrigeyam:
Thank you op.....very educational
It's "educative". Not "educational" angry

4 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Mojibola(m): 2:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
I've seen 'go-slow' in my dictionary before and it means traffic jam. It was marked as West African English though.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by falansa: 2:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Barber my hair.. .really funny grin
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by realborn(m): 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2015
Hmmm
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by guiddoti: 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2015
NinaArsenal:
Lol. English language hard o. Since person understand wetin I talk, all follow join
no bi lie. dem say dey go follow na till communication which one bi my modar tong lol wahala for English man
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by hayorbaami: 2:40pm On Sep 01, 2015
Op, i think you should include the word BOGUS

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Burger01(m): 2:40pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nice one.

I want to barber my hair... Ha! That one go cause confusioncheesy

2 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by belloabdulrazaq(m): 2:41pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thanks smiley

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by guiddoti: 2:41pm On Sep 01, 2015
freedom96:
is this what u'll tell them at the job interview?
shout up! is English your native language? promote your language and leave the rest for learner.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by intrepid: 2:42pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thanks much for the enlightenment.
saaedlee:
angry angry
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Nobody: 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2015
How about the word 'subsidy'. I think nigerians have given it another meaning following the fuel crisis stuff

2 Likes

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by demolinka(m): 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
@OP I think d conventional usage of 'sentimal' in naija, esp in viewing centres - as per ur second example - is still acceptable within context.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by koppa(m): 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
I want to go and barber my hair,will comment when am back.

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by buoye1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2015
admax:
Oshey Prof....Sentiments aside, you need to stay clear off my english and stop living in yesteryears. Not everyone will be chanced or opportuned to study abroad. On a serious note, tell baba Go-slow to perform else we would impeach him.

In other news, i need someone to borrow me money to bard my hair and i will pay back instalmentally.
see creativity

I love this....

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See The Kind Of School Bus Conveying These Pupils To School (Photo) / Waec Releases 2013 Results. / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.