Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,627 members, 7,816,587 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly (52949 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by louken(m): 6:24pm On Sep 01, 2015
Thanks op, but there are some grammatical mix-ups in your long essay too. You should have done a good proofreading before posting

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by abimic(m): 6:41pm On Sep 01, 2015
This is no doubt a very nice piece, but since the op already said at the last part of the impeachment narration, that impeachment doesn't ultimately mean removal from office;I acquiesce:but still, it's wrong to claim it's wrongly used when on the other hand it's right because Merriam Webster on many definitions for impeachment claimed it to be the removal from office for misconduct while also agreeing to your explanations likewise. On sentiment, it also means one's idea coloured by emotions which also implies, one can be clouded by feelings on making judgment and can hence said to be biased which could either lead to nepotism or cronyism as the case maybe but still your view of sentiment holds while not disproving the other also. Overall, it was a great compilation and I really learnt from that lousy of a thing. I've used lousy most times as one who is vociferous and not even motor mouthed. Thank you op for the eye opener!
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by londoner: 6:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
Op thank you so much. I find it shocking sometimes how Nigerians use words incorrectly or mispronounce words. I don't know if it's because they were not taught the components of the English language especially silent letters. I really cringe when I hear them mispronounce words like plumber, dumb, debt, subtle, womb, listen, comb, ask and many others.

I think they were not taught the feature of silent letters and have continued in error. It would have been better if they could just correct the error once pointed out rather than talking about English not being their mother tongue. This is even though most began speaking and learning English before the age of five.

Even people who are French and Spanish native speakers learn English properly and put Nigerians who have English as their official language as well as speak and write English to shame.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by quin9(f): 6:54pm On Sep 01, 2015
@op you are not so Genius after all,read the NO 7 and see where you spelt 'Hear' as 'Hair'....you tried but no one is perfect
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by osesology(m): 7:08pm On Sep 01, 2015
No one is above miskate...sorry, mistake. Nice write up. But that `barber me' part tho
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Swash042(m): 7:16pm On Sep 01, 2015
Interesting and educative thread... More of dis on FTC...

BTW I wan barber my hair 2moro. grin
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by yomisco4love(m): 7:27pm On Sep 01, 2015
This is superb..... U made my day.... Thanks man.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by femolala001(m): 7:47pm On Sep 01, 2015
saaedlee:
angry angry
Mr author made a grammatical blunder in number 7. He said "hair" instead of "hear"

7. Opportune(d) -You'd hair someone say something like "I wasn't opportuned to be born with a silver spoon" to refer to the fact that he didn't
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Uffakowoicho(m): 7:48pm On Sep 01, 2015
good one there mod but very wrong is incorrect,it's either wrong or very incorrect ok.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Karleb(m): 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
londoner:
Op thank you so much. I find it shocking sometimes how Nigerians use words incorrectly or mispronounce words. I don't know if it's because they were not taught the components of the English language especially silent letters. I really cringe when I hear them mispronounce words like plumber, dumb, debt, subtle, womb, listen, comb, ask and many others.

I think they were not taught the feature of silent letters and have continued in error. It would have been better if they could just correct the error once pointed out rather than talking about English not being their mother tongue. This is even though most began speaking and learning English before the age of five.

Even people who are French and Spanish native speakers learn English properly and put Nigerians who have English as their official language as well as speak and write English to shame.

The last part of your post is a lie, or should I say an assumption.

The OP has written well but he should realize that not everyone studied English Education or Major. Besides, some of his claims are debatable.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Jambsupport(f): 7:50pm On Sep 01, 2015
admax:
Oshey Prof....Sentiments aside, you need to stay clear off my english and stop living in yesteryears. Not everyone will be chanced or opportuned to study abroad. On a serious note, tell baba Go-slow to perform else we would impeach him.

In other news, i need someone to borrow me money to bard my hair and i will pay back instalmentally.
grin
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Nobody: 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2015
sseunhayor:
if you write barber in WAEC, your F9 won't be written with red pen but with red marker. angry
even his no 6 is failed.op need AED dictionary.when an illitrate thinks his now educated he/she can post trash i imagine those lyking this thrash.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by yomzzie(m): 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nice one. I learnt a thing or two from this.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by SupaC(m): 8:11pm On Sep 01, 2015
http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/several Go check out what several really means. Oh you typed "plunder" instead of "blunder"
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by HalfBaked: 8:12pm On Sep 01, 2015
No be small thing o. Can you barber my hair! Rotflmao
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Karleb(m): 8:17pm On Sep 01, 2015
Adikam:
even his no 6 is failed.op need AED dictionary.when an illitrate thinks his now educated he/she can post trash i imagine those lyking this thrash.

Don't mind him. Maybe the "barber my hair" is grammatical correct but in terms of pronunciation, it's totally off. Even the English don't use the word/phrase, they'll rather say "I want to have my haircut".
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by mexite: 8:23pm On Sep 01, 2015
This is an interesting and educative piece, I give it to the author. But in other news, I disagree with the author's assertion on the meaning of impeachment to exclude "removal of a person from office"

You can refer to as many dictionaries as possible, while the word "impeach" has the meanings you stated in your piece, it also means "to remove from office especially for misconduct". You can verify this in your complete dictionary.

Thanks.

princechrming:
I'm no grammar purist but over the years, my avidity for words and lexical profundity had ignited a proclivity for grammar correctness in me. These words/idioms which I will be talking about have been erroneously used even on national media platforms and among the average educated Nigerian who uses/interprets such words wrongly countless times.

Some of these lexical misinterpretation are egregious grammatical blunders, some are a case of solecism and I could call some a case of neologism. But why such neologism can't be accepted is because "Nigerian English" has yet to be upgraded to ranks of other recognised versions and dialects of English like American, British, Australian or New Zealand English.

I know English language isn't out mother tongue but for the fact that its the most recognised language in the world and also our lingua franca we ought to speak and interpret it correctly. I remember back then as a fresh graduate done with my compulsory one year national service (NYSC), I went for an interview and unconsciously educated my interviewers about a word. During the interview I kept on pronouncing the word "debt" in its correct pronunciation of /dɛt/ and the "b" being totally silent which sounds like how we Nigerians erroneously pronounce the word "death" directly as "det" rather than /dɛθ/, the Human Resources Manager - Dr. Sylvester stopped me at some point to express his confusion at me and inquired why I was using the word "death" in my speech. I then said- "Oh, sorry sir, I meant D-E-B-T (spelling it out verbally) but the "b" is totally silent in its correct pronunciation, we Nigerians pronounce it wrongly most times voicing out the "b" in that word".
He felt quite embarrassed and he asked the next interviewer to continue with me and I saw him put his face down looking into his laptop, most definitely trying to confirm my claim by referring to his Encarta Dictionary on his laptop. Well, I still got the job and Dr. Sylvester told me later on that apart from other factors, he approved me for the job because of my ability to educate him on a word which he was totally oblivious to despite his decades of erudition.

In order not to bore you guys with more prolegomenon, I'd dive straight into the matter at hand, find below 12 of these words/idioms we use or interpret wrongly.

1. Yesteryears - This word has no plural form. Its always used as "yesteryear" be it in singular or plural form. I'm sure this error came about because of the word "nowadays" which is antithetical to "yesteryear". I have an uncle who back then would always castigate us by saying- "All these children of nowadays, if you all were to use our school curriculum of 'yesteryears' you all would fail". He is so lucky I didn't know what I know now back then, I would have corrected him immediately! cheesy
A correct example of its use is; "Songs of 'yesteryear' are better lyrically than songs of nowadays"

2. Chanced - Countless times, I hear things like- "I won't be chanced to see you later on this evening", and the interlocutor meant he/she will not be free to see me in the evening, meaning he would be busy or occupied. That's wrong grammar! The word "chance" or chanced" as a verb has two meanings, namely;
1- "to risk", for example- "I'll chance the worst happening",
2- "to happen by chance", for example- "I chanced to catch sight of her as she passed.
So desist from using "chanced" to refer to being "not busy" or "free". Instead you can say "I don't have free time in the evening for us to meet" or "I can't see you in the evening because I don't have time to spare" or simply say "I'll be busy in the evening, so we can't meet"

3. Lousy - "Jane is such a lousy girl, she talks too much like a running tap!" Have you ever heard a derogatory statement like that before? I'm sure you have. The word "lousy" here is mostly misinterpreted by Nigerians to mean "talkative and noisy" or "loud and arrogant in talking". We tend to relate the word "lousy" to "loud".

Lousy simple means "unpleasant, "inferior or bad" or "provided with an excess amount (of)".
Examples of correct use include: "That's a lousy thing to do", "This is a lousy film, its production is too poor", "He's lousy with money."

4. "Sendforth" instead of "Sendoff" - I'm sure you have seen a lot of invitations for "sendforth" parties in the past. Well, there is no word as "sendforth" in the dictionary. The correct word is "sendoff" which is "a demonstration of good wishes to a person about to set off on a journey, career, etc"

5. Severally Nigerians misinterpret and wrongly use this word to mean "several times" or "a lot of times". You would hear someone say- "Rita has warned her severally but she won't listen". That's very wrong!
The word "severally" is an adverb which means "separately", " individually" or "distinctly".
A correct use can be- "Please after you wash the clothes, spread them severally on the rope", which implies you want the clothes to be dried individually on the rope.

6. Birds of the same feathers flock together - This is a very popular idiomatic blunder used by Nigerians. The correct idiom is "Birds of A FEATHER flock together" and not "Birds of THE SAME FEATHERS flock together"

7. Opportune(d) - You'd hair someone say something like "I wasn't opportuned to be born with a silver spoon" to refer to the fact that he didn't "have the opportunity" or "privilege" to be born into wealth. That's utterly erroneous! Because, "opportune" means "occurring at a time that is suitable or well-timed".
A correct example of its use: "she has been waiting for the opportune moment to tell him she wants a break up." Here is another correct example: "I'm waiting for the opportune moment to propose to my darling Rita"

8. Impeach - In Nigeria, you'd hear statements like this- "The president must be impeached whether he likes it or not!". And what they mean is that the president should be removed from office.
Politically, "impeach" means "to charge a public official with an offence committed in office" It doesn't ultimately mean removing the official from office, just as being charge to court for an alleged offence doesn't guarantee the defendant would be jailed as a result.
For example, if an average Nigerian hears the statement- "President Bill Clinton of the USA was impeached in 1998", he/she would interpret it that Bill Clinton was removed from office. But that's not the case, Bill Clinton was impeached but wasn't removed from office, he served his full presidential term, impeachment here meant he was charged to court for an alleged offence of purgery (which was related to alleged sexual relations with a white house staff) but he was later acquitted and proven innocent, and he went on to complete his full presidential tenure.
So, the word "impeach" doesn't ultimately mean to remove a politician from office.

9. "Stay clear" instead of "Steer clear" - This idiomatic plunder doesn't need much explanation. Its an error of using "stay" instead of "steer", maybe because both words are closely related in pronunciation. Please mind this error in your oral and written English.
So next time you wanna sternly warn that boss at work flirting with your office girlfriend, tell him- "Hey Mr. Managing Director, you better 'steer' clear of Rita my girlfriend or else...". (Please do it at your own risk o! Your sack letter might just be his reply to you) cheesy

10. Sentiment - During arguments, its common to hear things like- "Don't bring in sentiments into this, let's be truthful and factual" or "Can we just be objective in this country and cast sentiments aside?"
The average Nigeria interprets the word "sentiment" to mean "being bias", exhibiting prejudice or the opposite of objectivity. Quite wrong!
Below are meanings of the word sentiment:
1- "an opinion or thought"
2- "prone to tender, delicate or romantic emotion"
3- "a feeling, emotion or awareness"
4- "fake or excessive show of emotion"
Below are examples of correct use of the word "sentiment":
- "My sentiment(my opinion) concerning this issue is that we wait to see what happens first before we take any action.
- "She has too much sentiment to be successful in this industry, it will not favour her. (Meaning she is too soft or fragile emotionally to cope in such an industry)
- "A sentiment of pity" (Meaning a feeling or emotion of pity)
- "She went sentimental and started crying immediately I told her I was breaking up with her when I caught her cheating"

That said, let's stop using the word "sentiment" to represent "bias" or "prejudice", instead, you can say- "Please put aside all prejudice or bias so we can analyse this issue thoroughly" or just say- "Do away with your subjective views and try to be objective for once"

10. Instalmentally - We Nigerians invented this word from the word "instalment" to mean something divided for payment at specified intervals over a fixed period. But there is no adverb like this in the dictionary. Instead of saying "I will pay you instalmentally" rather say "I will pay you in instalments"

11. Go-slow - Nigerian use this word to refer to a traffic jam, but the word "Go-slow" or "Slowdown" for US English refers to "an occasion when employees work more slowly and with less effort than usual to try to make an employer to agree to pay them higher wages or give them better working conditions". So next time say "I'm in a traffic jam" rather than say "I'm in a go-slow"

12. Barb - I'm sure when an average Nigerian man wants to go cut his hair, he would say- "I want to barb my hair" right?
The word "barb" is a multifarious word but NONE of its meanings has anything to do with the act of cutting/trimming hair.
The word "barber" is a noun used to refer to someone whose business is cutting men's hair and shaving or trimming beads, but also, the word "barber" is a verb as well which means "to cut the hair of" or "to shave or trim the beard of".
For example, you can say- "Can you barber me now?" (Meaning: "can you cut/trim my hair now?"wink Another example is- "I want to barber my hair". Sounds funny right? Yes it does but its correct grammar.

Note - This article is in no way trying to ridicule or pillory Nigerians as a result our lexical inadequacies but to help further enlighten one another's word base and understanding.

Happy first of September Nigeria! I wish us all a fruitful and safe last quarter of the year!

This article is an intellectual property of the author, no part of this article may be published, copied, transmitted/transferred electronically or in print without the express permission of the author whose online pseudonym/trademark is "Prince Charming"
Contact - pryncecharming001@gmail.com
Copyright © 2015 Prince Charming™
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by doublecheif: 8:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nice one
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by omenka(m): 8:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
princechrming:
I'm no grammar purist but over the years, my avidity for words and lexical profundity had ignited a proclivity for grammar correctness in me. These words/idioms which I will be talking about have been erroneously used even on national media platforms and among the average educated Nigerian who uses/interprets such words wrongly countless times.

Some of these lexical misinterpretation are egregious grammatical blunders, some are a case of solecism and I could call some a case of neologism. But why such neologism can't be accepted is because "Nigerian English" has yet to be upgraded to ranks of other recognised versions and dialects of English like American, British, Australian or New Zealand English.

I know English language isn't out mother tongue but for the fact that its the most recognised language in the world and also our lingua franca we ought to speak and interpret it correctly. I remember back then as a fresh graduate done with my compulsory one year national service (NYSC), I went for an interview and unconsciously educated my interviewers about a word. During the interview I kept on pronouncing the word "debt" in its correct pronunciation of /dɛt/ and the "b" being totally silent which sounds like how we Nigerians erroneously pronounce the word "death" directly as "det" rather than /dɛθ/, the Human Resources Manager - Dr. Sylvester stopped me at some point to express his confusion at me and inquired why I was using the word "death" in my speech. I then said- "Oh, sorry sir, I meant D-E-B-T (spelling it out verbally) but the "b" is totally silent in its correct pronunciation, we Nigerians pronounce it wrongly most times voicing out the "b" in that word".
He felt quite embarrassed and he asked the next interviewer to continue with me and I saw him put his face down looking into his laptop, most definitely trying to confirm my claim by referring to his Encarta Dictionary on his laptop. Well, I still got the job and Dr. Sylvester told me later on that apart from other factors, he approved me for the job because of my ability to educate him on a word which he was totally oblivious to despite his decades of erudition.

In order not to bore you guys with more prolegomenon, I'd dive straight into the matter at hand, find below 12 of these words/idioms we use or interpret wrongly.

1. Yesteryears - This word has no plural form. Its always used as "yesteryear" be it in singular or plural form. I'm sure this error came about because of the word "nowadays" which is antithetical to "yesteryear". I have an uncle who back then would always castigate us by saying- "All these children of nowadays, if you all were to use our school curriculum of 'yesteryears' you all would fail". He is so lucky I didn't know what I know now back then, I would have corrected him immediately! cheesy
A correct example of its use is; "Songs of 'yesteryear' are better lyrically than songs of nowadays"

2. Chanced - Countless times, I hear things like- "I won't be chanced to see you later on this evening", and the interlocutor meant he/she will not be free to see me in the evening, meaning he would be busy or occupied. That's wrong grammar! The word "chance" or chanced" as a verb has two meanings, namely;
2- "to happen by chance", for example- "I chanced to catch sight of her as she passed.
So desist from using "chanced" to refer to being "not busy" or "free". Instead you can say "I don't have free time in the evening for us to meet" or "I can't see you in the evening because I don't have time to spare" or simply say "I'll be busy in the evening, so we can't meet"

3. Lousy - "Jane is such a lousy girl, she talks too much like a running tap!" Have you ever heard a derogatory statement like that before? I'm sure you have. The word "lousy" here is mostly misinterpreted by Nigerians to mean "talkative and noisy" or "loud and arrogant in talking". We tend to relate the word "lousy" to "loud".

Lousy simple means "unpleasant, "inferior or bad" or "provided with an excess amount (of)".
Examples of correct use include: "That's a lousy thing to do", "This is a lousy film, its production is too poor", "He's lousy with money."

4. "Sendforth" instead of "Sendoff" - I'm sure you have seen a lot of invitations for "sendforth" parties in the past. Well, there is no word as "sendforth" in the dictionary. The correct word is "sendoff" which is "a demonstration of good wishes to a person about to set off on a journey, career, etc"

5. Severally Nigerians misinterpret and wrongly use this word to mean "several times" or "a lot of times". You would hear someone say- "Rita has warned her severally but she won't listen". That's very wrong!
The word "severally" is an adverb which means "separately", " individually" or "distinctly".
A correct use can be- "Please after you wash the clothes, spread them severally on the rope", which implies you want the clothes to be dried individually on the rope.

6. Birds of the same feathers flock together - This is a very popular idiomatic blunder used by Nigerians. The correct idiom is "Birds of A FEATHER flock together" and not "Birds of THE SAME FEATHERS flock together"

7. Opportune(d) - You'd hair someone say something like "I wasn't opportuned to be born with a silver spoon" to refer to the fact that he didn't "have the opportunity" or "privilege" to be born into wealth. That's utterly erroneous! Because, "opportune" means "occurring at a time that is suitable or well-timed".
A correct example of its use: "she has been waiting for the opportune moment to tell him she wants a break up." Here is another correct example: "I'm waiting for the opportune moment to propose to my darling Rita"

8. Impeach - In Nigeria, you'd hear statements like this- "The president must be impeached whether he likes it or not!". And what they mean is that the president should be removed from office.
Politically, "impeach" means "to charge a public official with an offence committed in office" It doesn't ultimately mean removing the official from office, just as being charge to court for an alleged offence doesn't guarantee the defendant would be jailed as a result.
For example, if an average Nigerian hears the statement- "President Bill Clinton of the USA was impeached in 1998", he/she would interpret it that Bill Clinton was removed from office. But that's not the case, Bill Clinton was impeached but wasn't removed from office, he served his full presidential term, impeachment here meant he was charged to court for an alleged offence of purgery (which was related to alleged sexual relations with a white house staff) but he was later acquitted and proven innocent, and he went on to complete his full presidential tenure.
So, the word "impeach" doesn't ultimately mean to remove a politician from office.

9. "Stay clear" instead of "Steer clear" - This idiomatic plunder doesn't need much explanation. Its an error of using "stay" instead of "steer", maybe because both words are closely related in pronunciation. Please mind this error in your oral and written English.
So next time you wanna sternly warn that boss at work flirting with your office girlfriend, tell him- "Hey Mr. Managing Director, you better 'steer' clear of Rita my girlfriend or else...". (Please do it at your own risk o! Your sack letter might just be his reply to you) cheesy

10. Sentiment - During arguments, its common to hear things like- "Don't bring in sentiments into this, let's be truthful and factual" or "Can we just be objective in this country and cast sentiments aside?"
The average Nigeria interprets the word "sentiment" to mean "being bias", exhibiting prejudice or the opposite of objectivity. Quite wrong!
- "My sentiment(my opinion) concerning this issue is that we wait to see what happens first before we take any action.
- "She has too much sentiment to be successful in this industry, it will not favour her. (Meaning she is too soft or fragile emotionally to cope in such an industry)
- "She went sentimental and started crying immediately I told her I was breaking up with her when I caught her cheating"

That said, let's stop using the word "sentiment" to represent "bias" or "prejudice", instead, you can say- "Please put aside all prejudice or bias so we can analyse this issue thoroughly" or just say- "Do away with your subjective views and try to be objective for once"

10. Instalmentally - We Nigerians invented this word from the word "instalment" to mean something divided for payment at specified intervals over a fixed period. But there is no adverb like this in the dictionary. Instead of saying "I will pay you instalmentally" rather say "I will pay you in instalments"

11. Go-slow - Nigerian use this word to refer to a traffic jam, but the word "Go-slow" or "Slowdown" for US English refers to "an occasion when employees work more slowly and with less effort than usual to try to make an employer to agree to pay them higher wages or give them better working conditions". So next time say "I'm in a traffic jam" rather than say "I'm in a go-slow"

12. Barb - I'm sure when an average Nigerian man wants to go cut his hair, he would say- "I want to barb my hair" right?
The word "barb" is a multifarious word but NONE of its meanings has anything to do with the act of cutting/trimming hair.
The word "barber" is a noun used to refer to someone whose business is cutting men's hair and shaving or trimming beads, but also, the word "barber" is a verb as well which means "to cut the hair of" or "to shave or trim the beard of".
For example, you can say- "Can you barber me now?" (Meaning: "can you cut/trim my hair now?"wink Another example is- "I want to barber my hair". Sounds funny right? Yes it does but its correct grammar.

Note - This article is in no way trying to ridicule or pillory Nigerians as a result our lexical inadequacies but to help further enlighten one another's word base and understanding.

Happy first of September Nigeria! I wish us all a fruitful and safe last quarter of the year!

This article is an intellectual property of the author, no part of this article may be published, copied, transmitted/transferred electronically or in print without the express permission of the author whose online pseudonym/trademark is "Prince Charming"
Op, your article is incomplete without the word "timid". Nigerians tend to misuse or misinterpret the word more than any other word. To them, being timid implies one is "uncivilised", or "local", whereas it simply means being shy. Even the supposed "ajebos" misuse the word.

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 01, 2015
princechrming:

Hey nice, please can I learn some more things from you please like English class have a website or PDF you can hive out of English words, grammars corrections and all that ?
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Smooyis(m): 9:10pm On Sep 01, 2015
It is better we adapt some of these words as part of our own kind of English. Must we always do follow follow.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Marleek(m): 9:48pm On Sep 01, 2015
Great thanks to you OP. I really found this helpful, especially "I want to barber my hair" It sounds so funny. In addition to the post, "Property" has no plural (the plural is still "Property"). For example people would "Boko Haram has caused a lot of destruction to lives and properties" instead of "Boko Haram has caused a lot of destruction to lives and property. Also, i noticed that a section in nairaland is named properties.

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Jeneral4: 9:54pm On Sep 01, 2015
nice one
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by johnchukky: 10:22pm On Sep 01, 2015
up until now; i would have sworn with my
life that IMPEACH means to remove an
elected person from offfice
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by londoner: 10:28pm On Sep 01, 2015
Karleb:

The last part of your post is a lie, or should I say an assumption.

The OP has written well but he should realize that not everyone studied English Education or Major. Besides, some of his claims are debatable.

No, it is true in my experience. Especially with the French and I am talking about when they actively learn English. There are many rules in the French language (much more than in English) so they are concerned with how words are constructed how they are used and very eager to know what is the correct way to speak the English they are learning.

Also, why do you feel you have to study a major to know how to correctly use the common words
used every day?

I've had people ask me why Nigerians say 'aks' when they mean 'ask' and this was a native French speaker from Madagascar, not even France...lol
Should you need to study a language in depth to simply pronounce a three letter word? Is it just laziness or something? Many people don't even know that you are not supposed to pronounce the 'b' in comb or plumber. After all the degrees and titles many Nigerians are making such elementary mistakes and embarrassing themselves unknowingly and needlessly.

There are so many resources online to refer to. We all learn and learning continues well into adulthood.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Adeboyefa(f): 10:38pm On Sep 01, 2015
princechrming:

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by abimic(m): 10:41pm On Sep 01, 2015
Marleek:
Great thanks to you OP. I really found this helpful, especially "I want to barber my hair" It sounds so funny. In addition to the post, "Property" has no plural (the plural is still "Property"wink. For example people would "Boko Haram has caused a lot of destruction to lives and properties" instead of "Boko Haram has caused a lot of destruction to lives and property. Also, i noticed that a section in nairaland is named properties.
Did u just aforementioned that property has no plural? Please, before making frivolous assertions on a platform like this, it's best we make genuine and informed research as this is an educative platform. Property to the best of my knowledge has a plural and it's PROPERTIES! , this you can confirm from a kid! PERIOD!

1 Like

Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by Nobody: 10:46pm On Sep 01, 2015
Chanced, opporuned, lousy: Guilty of their wrong usage.
Sendoff: till I completed my secondary school, that's what I knew until a prof at my Jamb coaching centre told us it was wrong, that it is sendforth
Can you barber me! Lwkmd oooooo! That sounds so funny. I would rather use cut thou

Thanks Op, I learnt
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by CICERO09(m): 10:59pm On Sep 01, 2015
[quote author=amiibaby post=37561572][/quote] after being corrected u Still say u must gbagaun
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by 989900: 11:13pm On Sep 01, 2015
Nice one OP.

However, I think you need to revisit 'yesteryears' (it is plural form of 'yesteryear'). Use of it though . . .

Secondly, barb (verb) can actually mean to cut one's 'barb' or beard (old english).

Once again, thanks for the education.
Re: A Dozen Words That Even The Most Educated Nigerians Use Or Interpret Wrongly by daveyjay(m): 11:14pm On Sep 01, 2015
princechrming:

Last quarter??! We're just in the concludinq month of the 3rd quarter, dnt fast forward time biko

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

See The Kind Of School Bus Conveying These Pupils To School (Photo) / Waec Releases 2013 Results. / Guidelines For Reopening Of Schools By Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 201
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.