Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,455 members, 7,830,271 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? (802 Views)

Any Regret Not Knowing How To Speak Your Dialect? / Do You Think In English Language Or Your Mother Tongue? / Learn How To Speak Hausa Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? by qkman: 1:31pm On Apr 02, 2009
Most kids this days hardly speak their local dialect as it is refferred to as vernacular.
The pride of who we are and where we come from is been slowly taking off the mouth of generations to come.
Re: Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? by otele(m): 5:47pm On Apr 02, 2009
i was born in london, but i speak igbo well. very well, as a child we go the the village every xmas. i watch nigerian movies and read nigerian novels. and even though my mum is not nigerian, she adopted a nigerian name . . amaka. i use my nigerian name in school, all my sibblings do. we speak igbo in my family(except my mum who understands but cant speak)

anyone who cant be proud of his identity is pityful
Re: Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? by farotika(m): 11:25am On Apr 08, 2009
otele:

i was born in london, but i speak igbo well. very well, as a child we go the the village every xmas. i watch nigerian movies and read nigerian novels. and even though my mum is not nigerian, she adopted a nigerian name . . amaka. i use my nigerian name in school, all my sibblings do. we speak igbo in my family(except my mum who understands but cant speak)

anyone who cant be proud of his identity is pityful

Pityful ke? He is worst than an infidel
Re: Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? by drrionelli(m): 3:12pm On Apr 08, 2009
It's very important for people to know their "mother" tongue. One can never be too linguistically inclined.

Each language has its own degree of expressivity. Knowing languages other than that which one uses daily enhances one's ability to convey ideas to others as well as one's ability to understand other people who might have other points of view. Sadly, there are a number of languages that are literally becoming extinct, simply because they are so little used. This is particularly sad because it represents the passing into oblivion of entire cultures.
Re: Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? by ikeyman00(m): 5:05pm On Apr 08, 2009
@ post

u are an idiot?!
Re: Do You Think Encouraging Our Young Ones To Speak Our Mother Tongue Is Good? by asha80(m): 5:17pm On Apr 08, 2009
@ikeyman

You are a bigger idiot.

(1) (Reply)

How Do You View Yourself?. / The Problem With Igbos / The Difference Between Culture And Molarity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.