Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,616 members, 7,816,531 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

David Ejoor's View About The Civil War - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Ejoor's View About The Civil War (12732 Views)

Picture Of Victor Banjo And David Ejoor Joining Western Nigeria Army / Pic: Victor Banjo And David Ejoor On Their First Day In The Army, November 1953 / Pic: Victor Banjo And David Ejoor On Their First Day In The Army, November 1953 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 8:25pm On Apr 08, 2009
Just for the sake of completeness, Wole Soyinka, Gani, and another man in the north stoutly condenmend the massacre of Igbos, while the majority of other elite course claimed ignorance of the act.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by RichyBlacK(m): 8:56pm On Apr 08, 2009
naijaking1:

Just for the sake of completeness, Wole Soyinka, Gani, and another man in the north stoutly condenmend the massacre of Igbos, while the majority of other elite course claimed ignorance of the act.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and, I believe, Tai Solarin (Uncle Tai) were not fans of the inept Nigerian government for their views about the war.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by onyengbu1(m): 10:06pm On Apr 08, 2009
I never knew Fela said anything about the war.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by RichyBlacK(m): 10:21pm On Apr 08, 2009
onye_ngbu:

I never knew Fela said anything about the war.

It was after the war. During the war, he "was just another musician playing with Koola Lobitos and singing love songs . . .". See The My Hero Project
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by texazzpete(m): 10:43pm On Apr 08, 2009
onye_ngbu:

You have no interest in that portion of Nigeria's history yet you are going all over the thread blaming coup plotters for being responsible for the war and pogrom.

Am i to blame for your inability to comprehend written English? I said they had to shoulder some of the blame for being one of the tinders that set the conflagration off.
Everyone knows that WW1 was brewing even without the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. Does that mean his killers should escape any blame for providing the ignition?

asha 80:

Always the way peeps that want to assume neutrality end their statements.
onye_ngbu:

Wasnt it you who has the right name for such people -- closet tribalists.

I think thats the best name for them, thats what they all are.

Or perhaps it's down to you two being unimaginative enough to make this daft assumption.
FYI, i've spent more time in an Igbo village than any other village in Nigeria (1 year NYSC in Ohafia, Abia state). I know more Igbo words than my native language. My only sister is happily married to an Igbo man and my only Nephew is named Chukwudi grin. It's therefore absurd to postulate i'm an anti-Igbo tribalist.
If there's anything i'm slightly biased against it's probably religious grounds - some Muslims make me nervous embarassed. Other than that, i firmly believe that only fools judge a man based on his tribe.

This much i know; it seems there's a generally accepted notion/point of view on the events leading up to the Biafran war by certain group of Igbos. Any attempt to proffer a different opinion (no matter how slight the difference may be) and you get labelled as an Igbo-hater or a tribalist. That's lame IMHO.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by maxsiollun: 11:02pm On Apr 08, 2009
Dimka and Gowon were Angas.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 11:23pm On Apr 08, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti and, I believe, Tai Solarin (Uncle Tai) were not fans of the inept Nigerian government for their views about the war.

These guys were the heros of the revolution grin To stand up against the maddening majority, at the expense of personal safety, welfare, and even career to speak the truth as you see it.

That's heroism. Was David Ejoor a hero?
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by onyengbu1(m): 12:24pm On Apr 09, 2009
texazzpete:

Or perhaps it's down to you two being unimaginative enough to make this daft assumption.
FYI, i've spent more time in an Igbo village than any other village in Nigeria (1 year NYSC in Ohafia, Abia state). I know more Igbo words than my native language. My only sister is happily married to an Igbo man and my only Nephew is named Chukwudi grin. It's therefore absurd to postulate i'm an anti-Igbo tribalist.
Even the notorious anti-igbo Becomerich on nairaland said he have igbo friends and inlaws. the difference btw you guys is that he is no closet tribalist and people dont make big deal out of his anti igbo statements because he doesnt pretend to like igbos.

texazzpete:

This much i know; it seems there's a generally accepted notion/point of view on the events leading up to the Biafran war by certain group of Igbos. Any attempt to proffer a different opinion (no matter how slight the difference may be) and you get labelled as an Igbo-hater or a tribalist. That's lame IMHO.

If the opinion you are referring is the one corroborated by Ademoyegan (who is not Igbo) and other active participants of the war then Ejoor and people like you should be fair enough to understand when people label you anti-igbo.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by ono(m): 1:39pm On Apr 09, 2009
Ejoor's ''side'' of the Biafran War story may not be ''completely true''. But there sure is some elements of truth in this interview - a five star eye opener that will definitely send historians back to the bookshelves as claimed by the interviewer. One thing I can glean from the interview though is that the Baifran war was already in the making even before it became a battle field affair.

Now, I'm surely not in the mood to engage the likes of Richyblack, naijaking, Osisi and their Igbo brothers and sisters in another war of words over this Biafra matter. We had one some time ago and I can't forget that experience quickly. But I know that in their heart of hearts, they know the truth.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by onyengbu1(m): 2:02pm On Apr 09, 2009
ono:

Ejoor's ''side'' of the Biafran War story may not be ''completely true''. But there sure is some elements of truth in this interview - a five star eye opener that will definitely send historians back to the bookshelves as claimed by the interviewer. One thing I can glean from the interview though is that the Baifran war was already in the making even before it became a battle field affair.

Now, I'm surely not in the mood to engage the likes of Richyblack, naijaking, Osisi and their Igbo brothers and sisters in another war of words over this Biafra matter. We had one some time ago and I can't forget that experience quickly. But I know that in their heart of hearts, they know the truth.

I doubt that you are not in the mood to argue over this because you wouldnt post here if you weren't.

Why cant you point out those 'incompletely true' or 'elements of truth' in his side of story and lets see if you are saying the same thing with us when we said he's lying or again, whether the 'elements of truth' is a truth that voids what others in his league have said or just a common truth everyone knows.
just point them out.

Again, every war will at some point be on the making before it becomes a battle affair. People cant just wake up one morning and start shooting at each other.

Try and make sense, you haven't made any sense at all.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 2:08pm On Apr 09, 2009
ono:

Ono, old boy, how now? How N'jadema? For once I thought you were Ibime.
Certainly, we can have political disagreement without making it personal. I do agree that the war was already in the making before it actually broke out. The impact of the hatred against the Igbos from north to west, and from within eastern Nigeria itself could never be understimated. Some of these hatred might have been probably merited, but most were baseless and personal.

It's no surprise that it's those who turned out to have the most anti-Igbo agend were those who were closely associated with Igbos by schooling, job, or even career. I don't doubt that these people might have been negatively affected in one way or another by Igbos they meet along their career path. Unfortunately, those negative feelings led to simplistic characterization of all Igbos. Adaka Boro attended UNN, Ejoor served at Enugu for many years, there is no doubt someone rubbed them wrong in one way or another.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by ono(m): 3:03pm On Apr 09, 2009
I'm tempted to do a reply. But I won't. Let sleeping dogs lie.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 4:52pm On Apr 09, 2009
@Ono
Let it out cry
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by onyengbu1(m): 8:14pm On Apr 09, 2009
naijaking1:

@Ono
Let it out cry

He is finding it very hard to do now.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Dede1(m): 10:53pm On Apr 09, 2009
Please my people carefulness must be of essence when dulling out praises and patting on the back of the Yoruba extractions with regard to standing up against the war perpetrated on Biafra by Gowon and Nigeria.

Except for the likes of Wole Soyinka, Lt. Col. Ayo Ariyo and Ijebu Ode peasant farmers, many Yoruba people were happy joining Nigerian army in thousands and the ranks and files among them could not wait to prove that they are capable of commanding platoon or battalion.

The dude named Fela Ransom-kuti was in London trying to eke out bread in music while Tai Solarin was busy chasing a position as federal commissioner. Gani was trying to survive as a lawyer. These three folks never sided with Biafra or made any attempt to castigate the leadership of Nigeria during the war.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by texazzpete(m): 11:31pm On Apr 09, 2009
onye_ngbu:

Even the notorious anti-igbo Becomerich on nairaland said he have igbo friends and inlaws. the difference btw you guys is that he is no closet tribalist and people dont make big deal out of his anti igbo statements because he doesnt pretend to like igbos.

Kindly point out ANY anti-igbo statement i've made in this discussion. Go on, i dare you.
Why am i even going on about paranoia and distrust in the North when you're a living example?
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Nobody: 11:55pm On Apr 09, 2009
texazzpete:

Am i to blame for your inability to comprehend written English? I said they had to shoulder some of the blame for being one of the tinders that set the conflagration off.
Everyone knows that WW1 was brewing even without the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand. Does that mean his killers should escape any blame for providing the ignition?

FYI, i've spent more time in an Igbo village than any other village in Nigeria (1 year NYSC in Ohafia, Abia state). I know more Igbo words than my native language. My only sister is happily married to an Igbo man and my only Nephew is named Chukwudi  grin. It's therefore absurd to postulate i'm an anti-Igbo tribalist.
If there's anything i'm slightly biased against it's probably religious grounds - some Muslims make me nervous  embarassed. Other than that, i firmly believe that only fools judge a man based on his tribe.

offtopic. . .i'm coming for you. . . cheesy
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 1:30am On Apr 10, 2009
Dede1:

Please my people carefulness must be of essence when dulling out praises and patting on the back of the Yoruba extractions with regard to standing up against the war perpetrated on Biafra by Gowon and Nigeria.

Except for the likes of Wole Soyinka, Lt. Col. Ayo Ariyo and Ijebu Ode peasant farmers, many Yoruba people were happy joining Nigerian army in thousands and the ranks and files among could not wait to prove that they are capable of commanding platoon or battalion.

The dude named Fela Ransom-kuti was in London trying to eke out bread in music while Tai Solarin was busy chasing a position as federal commissioner. Gani was trying to survive as a lawyer.

For the sake of completeness, it's important to detail the atrocity against Igbos, how the majority turned their back on truth, and how a few minority risked a lot to speak up against the atrocity.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by tpia: 1:34am On Apr 10, 2009
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 2:09am On Apr 10, 2009
tpia:

Funny how this "few minority" is always the same set of names.

There's a lot of mystery which will never be unravelled about this war.

not to mention the only time some people consider being part of the majority a "bad" thing, is on issues such as this.

Nigerians and relativity!!!

Sorry buddy! If speaking the truth rubs you the wrong way, I apologize.
When everybody was 'sure the World was flat' a few spoke up, and paid dearly for it. When slavery was the booming business of the day in US initially, a few people insisted there was something wrong with the idea. When the crowd gathered and chanted burn her, burn her ; a few Bostonians registered their opposition to the idea of burning witches on a stake.
When Nigerians woke up one morning and for whatever reason decided to commit genocide against the Igbos, few Nigerians registered their opposition. For those people, historical justification remains your reward, just like the man who told pope the World was not flat.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by tpia: 4:15am On Apr 10, 2009
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by RichyBlacK(m): 4:18am On Apr 10, 2009
naijaking1:

Sorry buddy! If speaking the truth rubs you the wrong way, I apologize.
When everybody was 'sure the World was flat' a few spoke up, and paid dearly for it. When slavery was the booming business of the day in US initially, a few people insisted there was something wrong with the idea. When the crowd gathered and chanted burn her, burn her ; a few Bostonians registered their opposition to the idea of burning witches on a stake.
When Nigerians woke up one morning and for whatever reason decided to commit genocide against the Igbos, few Nigerians registered their opposition. For those people, historical justification remains your reward, just like the man who told pope the World was not flat.

Very well said!
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by nuesaweso(f): 10:22am On Apr 10, 2009
I still hate Ojukwu anyway for killing millions of Igbos during the war
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by asha80(m): 10:26am On Apr 10, 2009

That is a new one!
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by nuesaweso(f): 10:29am On Apr 10, 2009
Not new, he knows it too cos their blood is crying on him.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by asha80(m): 10:30am On Apr 10, 2009
Like igbos had a choice not to fight.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 2:32pm On Apr 10, 2009
nues aweso:

Reversonist history at it worst shocked
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by onyengbu1(m): 2:39pm On Apr 10, 2009
nues aweso:

if you wish to take us back to, 'no ojukwu did not kill millions of igbos, hausa and yorubas did' then I think you are not too intelligent, why not put a statement that is backed up with simple logic.

if not, then, like i said before, you are a dullard.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Dede1(m): 4:16pm On Apr 10, 2009
nues aweso:

This is an embodiment of drunkenness and madness trailed by an abused simpleton.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by romeo(m): 6:06pm On Apr 10, 2009
Who is this useless coward called Ejoor? cheesy.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 4:25am On Apr 11, 2009
romeo:

Who is this useless coward called Ejoor? cheesy.
Unfortunately, he's one of the important surviving figures of 1960s Nigeria.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by chimdy: 2:54pm On Apr 15, 2009
David Ejoor is a big fool, a pathetic cowardly liar, a senile old wimp, suffering from memory loss as a result of karma.Let it be known that the Igbo's as a people will never die.All these are attempts at thwarting the rotation of power to the south east after the tenure of the north.Be it known to all you sell outs that the people of Israel suffered and were enslaved in Egypt for decades, but their day surely came, and no Jupiter, no operation hurricane, no do or die affair is ever gonna stop that day for the Igbos!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Saraki Visit To Maiduguri Not For 2019 – Dino Melaye / Proceedings On The Concession Contract For Second Niger Bridge / You Can’t Remove Ekweremadu, PDP Dares APC Senators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.