Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,501 members, 7,816,192 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:22 AM

David Ejoor's View About The Civil War - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / David Ejoor's View About The Civil War (12730 Views)

Picture Of Victor Banjo And David Ejoor Joining Western Nigeria Army / Pic: Victor Banjo And David Ejoor On Their First Day In The Army, November 1953 / Pic: Victor Banjo And David Ejoor On Their First Day In The Army, November 1953 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 6:41pm On Apr 15, 2009
I would say Amen to a full representation of the Igbos in Nigeria grin
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by nwabaa1966: 3:42pm On Apr 16, 2009
njshh s sjsdjsjbs jdac jnkashewbdbdqeen wjkje ewwhewjkje e e elejewwenbwwew
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 4:45am On Apr 18, 2009
Meaning?
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Eziachi: 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2009
nues aweso:

I still hate Ojukwu anyway for killing millions of Igbos during the war

Another funny stuff from the world of psychos of this world. You are hating a man who knew nothing about your miserable existence? What a waste of energy!
I don't think the Ikemba give a f**k even if you are pissing into you own mouth. He had more pressing things to worry about, like admiring his damsel of a wife.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by ACHOJAH: 11:09pm On Jun 13, 2009
The truth, they say is stranger than fiction.
There can be no justification for the genocide of the Ibos in the north. Absolutely none.
The question I ask myself is what does Ejoor have to gain by "telling lies" at this late hour and why hasn't Ojukwu come back with a rebuttal.

All this abuse of Ejoor does not detract from the evidence that the Ibo Officers agitated for coups. This point is totally separate from unelected elite army officers representing the will or acting in the best interest of the Igbo people.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 4:52am On Jun 14, 2009
Well said sad
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by KnowAll(m): 9:44am On Jun 14, 2009
Coup plotters are like armed robbers, they steal your belongings and use those items to your face without any regret or remorse. Imagine an armed robber using your car to your face. Not only have they distorted the history of Nigeria, they have deprive and rob Nigerians born and un-born the natural principle of rational thinking. Or how else do you explain the crazy phenomenon whereby a Governor doing his job the way the job should be done, and people start showering such a person with praises and encomiums.

Coup plotters should be seen as subversive and treacherous element of the state and should be treated as such. The country will not no peace until all coup plotters dead or alive are rounded up, tried and sentenced to life in prisonment, how dear Buhari wants to become a civilian president when it is a clear fact he renegade in his professional ethics and duty which stipulates that he obeys, abide and defend the Nigeria state. Would he be a happy man if he were to be over-thrown by the military assuming he becomes a civilian president. ( which I know will not happen in a million years )

The ramifications and the fall-out of the January 1966 coup which included the Biafra war, Creation of states in 1967, Overthrow of Gowon, Creation of more states in 1976, the assasination of Muritala finally ended in 1979 with OBJ handing over to Shagari.

The current chain of events which includes, the Overthrow of Buhari/Idiagbon govt, the emergence of IBB, the killing of Dele Giwa, the creation of more states, Jue 12 saga,  handing power to Ernest Shonekan, the emergence of Abacha, creation of more states by Abacha,  death Abacha, emergence of Abdulsalam, started with Buhari /Idiagbon regime taking over from a legitmately elected goverment and it ended only recently when Adulsalam handing over to OBJ. The agony I have now is the same Buhari who has cause so much pain to Nigerians in the past decade deem it fit for him to stand for the presidency and yet nobody is saying anything. I think 145 million people have not only be hood-winked but  it appears that 145 million people have yet to recover from the deep hypnosis.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by maxsiollun: 10:07am On Jun 14, 2009
Was Ojukwu correct in seceding in 1967? Could/should he have delayed secession or negotiated a peaceful settlement? A few facts to ponder:

1) Ojukwu knew as a military man that the Eastern Region had absolutely no chance of victory in a conflict with the federal government. Yet he declared the secession of the Eastern Region which he governed, in the knowledge that federal troops would invade immediately after the secession.

2) Would Ojukwu have saved many lives by delaying secession until such time that the Eastern Region was economically, politically and militarily self sufficient? Secession placed Igbos in a worse position than they started in.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by SapeleGuy: 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2009
maxsiollun:

Was Ojukwu correct in seceding in 1967? Could/should he have delayed secession or negotiated a peaceful settlement?

No, but hindsight is a wonderful tool.

maxsiollun:

2) Would Ojukwu have saved many lives by delaying secession until such time that the Eastern Region was economically, politically and militarily self sufficient? Secession placed Igbos in a worse position than they started in.

Absolutely, there are no unavoidable wars only avoidable choices. These were extremely difficult choices facing an inexperienced 33 year old leader, the ego (the need to avenge the pogrom) and the tacit encouragement given by France et al to go it alone (as biafra would be viable because of Niger Delta Oil - he had already made made arrangements with SAFRAP).
You can add to this the realpolitik position of Britain - supporting this secession would unravel their colonial legacy in Africa (encourage other secessionist movements) and relegate SHELL/ BP to bystanders as well as making France the dominant neo colonial force.

In truth, I don't think the right time to which you allude would ever have come. Without oil, the secession may have succeeded.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by biggjoe(m): 2:51pm On Jun 14, 2009
maxsiollun:

Was Ojukwu correct in seceding in 1967? Could/should he have delayed secession or negotiated a peaceful settlement? A few facts to ponder:

1) Ojukwu knew as a military man that the Eastern Region had absolutely no chance of victory in a conflict with the federal government. Yet he declared the secession of the Eastern Region which he governed, in the knowledge that federal troops would invade immediately after the secession.

Are you implying now that secession means declaration of war?

It doesnt have to be. What happens to dialogue? He declared secession not war!

Why must this always be only about Ojukwu. No one ever mentions Gowon and his cohorts in the counter Coup. Why?!!!!
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by oberon(m): 4:38pm On Jun 14, 2009
It is simply amazing that the Older generation of nigerians who have held power always seem to forget that we have gone beyond the jet age and that those lies they spun no longer hold water Gen Ejoor is a sad old man who is unworthy of the name elder statesman, this is a man who as governor of the midwest region laid the foundation for the resultant crises in Warri, this was a man who was in power but stood idly by when his peers passed laws that impoverished future generations of his people through the promogation of obnoxious laws,this is a coward who kept silent and now has his children fight the battle for him general indeed,this coward now wants to deflect attention from the crisis in the Niger Delta by his recent outburst but of course his "contemporaries" know that this is a dog that can only bark but cant bite Ejoor and all others who had the oppurtunity to free the Niger Delta people especially those from the Mid West but allowed their narrow minded hatred for the Igbos to cloud their judgement should please SHUT UP!! they are not a wasted generation they are a cursed generation
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by oberon(m): 4:56pm On Jun 14, 2009
Imagine what Nigeria would have looked like if the other regions had in the immediate aftermath of the july coup had stood firm against the northern leaders and said the future of the country had to be addresed but no, instead it became a debate between Gowon and Ojukwu,if the Mid West had brought to the fore the issue of the minorities as only they could at that time being the only region not controlled by a major tribe but because the man at the head ( Ejoor) was so narrow minded,pathetic,of limited stature and intelligence, and totally unaware of the core issues at stake rather than his own little rivalries against a few fellow officiers who happened to be Igbo, he sruck to a parochial view of the crises and now wants to complain,suffice to say he will fail like Banjo before him who have seen that their Northern comrades who appear to be dumb have out smarted them anrd its getting worse,with all the problems of the Niger Delta has right now and the lives being lost on a daily basis,with all the futures being destroyed this is what a former leader feels is important right now?
There is only one word fit for a man like this,an american word and while I am not given to broad usage of the american slang this word fits smugly and that word is SHMUCK.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by mash2(m): 5:22pm On Jun 14, 2009
Did I notice a trend in these arguements? Commentators who appeared to be Ibos seemed tilted towards "Ejoor, shameless liar" arguement while the others seem to be on the otherside. Any objectivity here? Whats that statement about prejudice? Me thinks the whole affair is a lot more complicated than what is being discussed here. And it dates back to pre-independence era. We all need to dig more, but honestly I have nothing against the Ibos. Given the circumstances, I think in declaring seccession, Ojukwu might have acted in good faith to his people. Certain events though, might have proceeded in a diffrent manner, if the principal actors were a bit older. How old were thay all, late 20s to mid 30s at the time. Perspectives! All in all, I think ojukwu is a hero of his people.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by biina: 7:05pm On Jun 14, 2009
Nigerian leaders have always been selfish and have never put the interest of the people first. Gown, Ojukwu, and some other principal actors of the civil war are still alive and well, and most died free men, after having sent thousands of their people to an early grave.
I dont see the hero in Ojukwu, Ejoor or any of them. The felt so strongly about their position that they were willing to sacrifice the lives of others, but were never ready to die for what they believe in.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Eziachi: 10:24am On Jun 15, 2009
I find it strange that people still find it palatable to equate Biafra secession to war. Secession of a confederate state in a federation is not synonymous to declaration of war against it. It’s in the right a part of that federation to secede if they wants to just like any marriage.

When the old Eastern house of parliament (Not Emeka Ojukwu) passes the law to secede from Nigerian federation, that does not equals declaration of war and Biafra never declared war on Nigeria but their fight was in defence and that is why 99% of the war itself was fought on the Biafra soil.

Those mischievous people always going on about how Ojukwu knew he cannot win the war or his ambition never stop to think that (1) Ojukwu did not declare Biafra secession but the Old Eastern House of parliament and council of Chief did, but his position as the most senior Biafra officer and at the time, the administrative governor of the East allow them to ask him to lead.

People often forget that Nigeria waited for months before responding with war over the secession and had been to Aburi in Ghana where they agreed with the East that they should maintained confederation with little power at the centre to be headed by the most senior military officer then (Ogundipe/Adeyinka Adebayo) only for Nigerian delegation to return from Ghana and renegade on the Aburi accord and handed a junior officer Gowon power and start calling the short from Lagos which suppose to be weaker than Ibadan, Enugu, Kaduna and Benin as the confederate capitals as agreed/signed in Aburi (pls read the Aburi accord).

And those too young to know or to ignorant to learn has kept equating the secession with war but forgot that Southern Cameroon (now Kumba, Baminda, Ekondo Titi, Boya, Victoria (now Limbe), Attabong etc) actually use to be part of the old Eastern region (i.e. Eastern Nigeria) but they decided to secede in late 1961 to join Cameroon. Nobody declared war on them then and they had oil too. If the Biafra/Nigeria war was because of oil, then it must had been for Nigeria and not for Biafra’s especially the Igbo’s as they had oil themselves if that if the case.

Its Nigerian leaders taste for blood and hatred of the Igbo’s that sparked the war and Ijaw’s unnecessary historic loggerhead with their cousins, the Igbo’s despite their close ancestral heritage. Igbo’s has always got on well till this day with the Ibibio’s, the Efiks and the Annang. Ijaws fought tooth and nail to kill Biafra and they had succeeded in getting one Nigeria and today they are seeing and enjoying the reality it brought.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Ibime(m): 11:18am On Jun 15, 2009
Eziachi:

I find it strange that people still find it palatable to equate Biafra secession to war. Secession of a confederate state in a federation is not synonymous to declaration of war against it. It’s in the right a part of that federation to secede if they wants to just like any marriage.

When the old Eastern house of parliament (Not Emeka Ojukwu) passes the law to secede from Nigerian federation, that does not equals declaration of war and Biafra never declared war on Nigeria but their fight was in defence and that is why 99% of the war itself was fought on the Biafra soil.

Those mischievous people always going on about how Ojukwu knew he cannot win the war or his ambition never stop to think that (1) Ojukwu did not declare Biafra secession but the Old Eastern House of parliament and council of Chief did, but his position as the most senior Biafra officer and at the time, the administrative governor of the East allow them to ask him to lead.

People often forget that Nigeria waited for months before responding with war over the secession and had been to Aburi in Ghana where they agreed with the East that they should maintained confederation with little power at the centre to be headed by the most senior military officer then (Ogundipe/Adeyinka Adebayo) only for Nigerian delegation to return from Ghana and renegade on the Aburi accord and handed a junior officer Gowon power and start calling the short from Lagos which suppose to be weaker than Ibadan, Enugu, Kaduna and Benin as the confederate capitals as agreed/signed in Aburi (pls read the Aburi accord).

And those too young to know or to ignorant to learn has kept equating the secession with war but forgot that Southern Cameroon (now Kumba, Baminda, Ekondo Titi, Boya, Victoria (now Limbe), Attabong etc) actually use to be part of the old Eastern region (i.e. Eastern Nigeria) but they decided to secede in late 1961 to join Cameroon. Nobody declared war on them then and they had oil too. If the Biafra/Nigeria war was because of oil, then it must had been for Nigeria and not for Biafra’s especially the Igbo’s as they had oil themselves if that if the case.

Its Nigerian leaders taste for blood and hatred of the Igbo’s that sparked the war and Ijaw’s unnecessary historic loggerhead with their cousins, the Igbo’s despite their close ancestral heritage. Igbo’s has always got on well till this day with the Ibibio’s, the Efiks and the Annang. Ijaws fought tooth and nail to kill Biafra and they had succeeded in getting one Nigeria and today they are seeing and enjoying the reality it brought.

Eziachi, whilst I commend you for your post and agree with your first point that Biafra never declared war on Naija but vice-versa, I must take umbrage with the propaganda contained toward the end of your post and the false labelling of Ijaws as Biafra-saboteurs. I have stressed this point many a time that Ijaw is not a unitary body and 'some Ijaws fought for Naija' does not equate to 'all Ijaws fought for Naija'. Infact, most Ijaws were just civilians minding their own business, caught up in a war and being buffeted from both sides. It is wholly disingenuine to keep singling out the Ijaw masses for reproach, as they are disconnected from the political class. It is also insidious to keep tarring Ijaws with a false brush when most political leaders in the former Rivers State were pro-Nigerian including Ngwa-Ikwerre, Umu-Etche, Umu-Rebisi, Ngwa-Ndoni as well as leaders in the Ogoni and Ijaw factions. However, this does not mean that the denizens of Rivers State supported their leaders or heeded any call to arms against Biafra, at least not the vast majority who remembered the progroms.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by tpiah: 2:41pm On Jun 15, 2009
round and round the mulberry bush on a cold and frosty morning.

Naija is doomed because of her people.

shouldnt the Ijaws and Igbos on Nairaland have gotten unified by now? Its like you keep repeating the same things over and over again. Where's the closure?

unless, of course, this is all a smokescreen to cover what's really going on.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 3:31pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ibime:

Eziachi, whilst I commend you for your post and agree with your first point that Biafra never declared war on Naija but vice-versa, I must take umbrage with the propaganda contained toward the end of your post and the false labelling of Ijaws as Biafra-saboteurs. I have stressed this point many a time that Ijaw is not a unitary body and 'some Ijaws fought for Naija' does not equate to 'all Ijaws fought for Naija'. Infact, most Ijaws were just civilians minding their own business, caught up in a war and being buffeted from both sides. It is wholly disingenuine to keep singling out the Ijaw masses for reproach, as they are disconnected from the political class. It is also insidious to keep tarring Ijaws with a false brush when most political leaders in the former Rivers State were pro-Nigerian including Ngwa-Ikwerre, Umu-Etche, Umu-Rebisi, Ngwa-Ndoni as well as leaders in the Ogoni and Ijaw factions. However, this does not mean that the denizens of Rivers State supported their leaders or heeded any call to arms against Biafra, at least not the vast majority who remembered the progroms.
Saying that Ijaws betrayed and fought against Biafra is indisputable. We know that 100% of no tribe ever joins a war fully, infact you have named some Igbos who fought for Nigeria, but the truth my friend is that most Igbos fought for Biafra, just like most Ijaws fought for Nigeria. Infact, there were many norhterners who also fought for Biafra, but can you say that northerners fought for Biafra? No, because on the average, the majority fought for Nigeria. You can also say the same thing for Yorubas.
So, no need hyperventilating anytime someone states that Ijaws betrayed and fought against Biafra, it's a fact embarassed
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Ibime(m): 3:44pm On Jun 15, 2009
naijaking1:

Saying that Ijaws betrayed and fought against Biafra is indisputable. We know that 100% of no tribe ever joins a war fully, infact you have named some Igbos who fought for Nigeria, but the truth my friend is that most Igbos fought for Biafra, just like most Ijaws fought for Nigeria.

OK. . . . answer a quick question. . . . who did the Ogonis fight for?
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ibime:

OK. . . . answer a quick question. . . . who did the Ogonis fight for?
I'm not sure, but my assumption would be that like many so-called ethnic minorities of the former eastern Nigeria that felt "oppressed" by Igbos, that the Ogonis joined the Ijaws to sabotage Biafra. My personal experience is with the Ijaw, but while I research the Ogonis, I will be glad to be corrected.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Ibime(m): 5:15pm On Jun 15, 2009
naijaking1:

I'm not sure, but my assumption would be that like many so-called ethnic minorities of the former eastern Nigeria that felt "oppressed" by Igbos, that the Ogonis joined the Ijaws to sabotage Biafra. My personal experience is with the Ijaw, but while I research the Ogonis, I will be glad to be corrected.

Your personal experience? Which personal experience? How old are you?

Abeg stop yarning dust. . . . you have made another hasty assumption. I wonder when you guys will stop focusing on those who fought against you and start focusing on those who fought alongside you. The more you propagate these sentiments against your cousins, the more you create problems.

I shall quote from Saro-Wiwas testimony. He is speaking about the Ogoni leaders:

"Throughout the war, I found that I was almost the only one, of the entire Ogoni elite, who stood by Nigeria. The men of my age group and beyond who have given evidence at this Tribunal or who were listed as prosecution witnesses in the proof of evidence -- Dr. G. B. Leton, Mr. I. S. Kogbara, Kemte Giadom as well as the men who were sadly murdered on May 21, 1994 were all on the opposite side of the argument.

In spite of that, as soon as the war ended, I made absolutely sure that they were all rehabilitated, that their positions in Rivers State were promptly secured and that they could begin to make an Ogoni contribution to the development of the newly-created Rivers State."

http://www.ratical.org/corporations/KSWstmt.html
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by SapeleGuy: 7:42pm On Jun 15, 2009
Eziachi:

When the old Eastern house of parliament (Not Emeka Ojukwu) passes the law to secede from Nigerian federation, that does not equals declaration of war and Biafra never declared war on Nigeria but their fight was in defence and that is why 99% of the war itself was fought on the Biafra soil, Ojukwu did not declare Biafra secession but the Old Eastern House of parliament and council of Chief did, but his position as the most senior Biafra officer and at the time, the administrative governor of the East allow them to ask him to lead.
Your account here portrays Ojukwu as a duly elected representative of the people answerable to parliament when in fact as a military governor he was not. Up until the pogrom in the north, the east were happy with one nigeria, to illustrate this point Boro's declaration of Niger Delta from the eastern region was crushed in 12 days - by whom?

Eziachi:

And those too young to know or to ignorant to learn has kept equating the secession with war but forgot that Southern Cameroon (now Kumba, Baminda, Ekondo Titi, Boya, Victoria (now Limbe), Attabong etc) actually use to be part of the old Eastern region (i.e. Eastern Nigeria) but they decided to secede in late 1961 to join Cameroon.  Nobody declared war on them then and they had oil too.  If the Biafra/Nigeria war was because of oil, then it must had been for Nigeria and not for Biafra’s especially the Igbo’s as they had oil themselves if that if the case.
When you scratch the surface, all wars are about the control of resources, the nigerian civil war was no different. With regard to Cameroon, there was a democratic plebiscite which both sides agreed to abide by. Totally different from military dictators jostling for control.

Eziachi:

Ijaw’s unnecessary historic loggerhead with their cousins, the Igbo’s despite their close ancestral heritage. Igbo’s has always got on well till this day with the Ibibio’s, the Efiks and the Annang. Ijaws fought tooth and nail to kill Biafra and they had succeeded in getting one Nigeria and today they are seeing and enjoying the reality it brought.
Every ethnic nationality has a right to self determination, The Ijaws didn't want to be tenants on their own soil, hence Boro's declaration, need I remind you that this republic was put down by the East. I think it is unfair to accuse the Ijaws of something of which you were equally guilty. My point is how do these accusations/ counter accusations move the Igbo or any other ethnic nationality forward?
I beg una - let us deal with our problems in 2009 and not 1966.

1 Like

Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 8:16pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ibime:

Abeg stop yarning dust. . . . you have made another hasty assumption. I wonder when you guys will stop focusing on those who fought against you and start focusing on those who fought alongside you. The more you propagate these sentiments against your cousins, the more you create problems.
Emotions apart, I have told you how one of my father's Ijaw house-hold help (Jon jon) seized our brand new house in PH in the name of abandoned property. Jon Jon's sister was married by one of my uncles before the war. After the war, my father returned to PH and tried to resume his business, but Jon Jon not only refused him access to his own property, he even tried to get my old man killed. Today, after being forcefully kicked out of the house Jon Jon and his kids are looking to us for help again. How personal can that be? That's the story you will hear from millions of igbos/Ijaws all over Nigeria.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Eziachi: 9:26pm On Jun 15, 2009
Ibime:

I shall quote from Saro-Wiwas testimony. He is speaking about the Ogoni leaders:

"Throughout the war, I found that I was almost the only one, of the entire Ogoni elite, who stood by Nigeria. The men of my age group and beyond who have given evidence at this Tribunal or who were listed as prosecution witnesses in the proof of evidence -- Dr. G. B. Leton, Mr. I. S. Kogbara, Kemte Giadom as well as the men who were sadly murdered on May 21, 1994 were all on the opposite side of the argument.

In spite of that, as soon as the war ended, I made absolutely sure that they were all rehabilitated, that their positions in Rivers State were promptly secured and that they could begin to make an Ogoni contribution to the development of the newly-created Rivers State."

http://www.ratical.org/corporations/KSWstmt.html

You were right about the Ogonis, many of them fought for Biafra and defended it. Men like Kogbara were known for their effort in Biafra. But many men like Ken Saro Wiwa not only were vocal but fought tooth and nail to help Nigerians.

At the end of the war, 26 years old Alfred Dietti Spiff was rewarded as the governor of the newly created Rivers State and Ken Saro as a commissioner in his cabinet and Wiwa inherited many abandoned properties for himself, including my uncle 3 storey building at Aggrey Road.

How funny thing will turn, the man that killed Wiwa (Abacha) was in the same executive council with him in River state as the then young commander of 32 amphibious brigade in Port Harcourt.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Eziachi: 9:45pm On Jun 15, 2009
SapeleGuy:

Your account here portrays Ojukwu as a duly elected representative of the people answerable to parliament when in fact as a military governor he was not. Up until the pogrom in the north, the east were happy with one nigeria, to illustrate this point Boro's declaration of Niger Delta from the eastern region was crushed in 12 days - by whom?

When you scratch the surface, all wars are about the control of resources, the nigerian civil war was no different. With regard to Cameroon, there was a democratic plebiscite which both sides agreed to abide by. Totally different from military dictators jostling for control.
Every ethnic nationality has a right to self determination, The Ijaws didn't want to be tenants on their own soil, hence Boro's declaration, need I remind you that this republic was put down by the East. I think it is unfair to accuse the Ijaws of something of which you were equally guilty. My point is how do these accusations/ counter accusations move the Igbo or any other ethnic nationality forward?
I beg una - let us deal with our problems in 2009 and not 1966.

People will always represent issues the way they see fit. I don’t see the English word I used that suggest to you that I was suggesting that Ikemba was elected to lead Biafra, because I told you that he was asked to lead because he was the highest ranking officer around, a readymade administrator then , young and very educated and personal wealth that can help.

As for plebiscite anchoring on Cameroon, it’s either you decide to write that or has no idea what you are talking about as no such thing happened. Chief John Asou, who led their secession to Cameroon along with Chief Ni John Fru Ndi, evoked just the 1958 London conference agreement and was allowed to secede. Chief Fru Ndi is still alive today if you want to verify, he is the present leader of the Cameroon opposition SDP party.

In 1991 when Paul Biya wants him dead, he was in our house in Aba for safety for four months until things calmed down in Bamenda.

Not only that I was around then in the 60s but my own father was the youngest member of the then Eastern Nigerian House of parliament, so I should know.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 9:49pm On Jun 15, 2009
Eziachi:

You were right about the Ogonis, many of them fought for Biafra and defended it. Men like Kogbara were known for their effort in Biafra. But many men like Ken Saro Wiwa not only were vocal but fought tooth and nail to help Nigerians.

At the end of the war, 26 years old Alfred Dietti Spiff was rewarded as the governor of the newly created Rivers State and Ken Saro as a commissioner in his cabinet and Wiwa inherited many abandoned properties for himself, including my uncle 3 storey building at Aggrey Road.

How funny thing will turn, the man that killed Wiwa (Abacha) was in the same executive council with him in River state as the then young commander of 32 amphibious brigade in Port Harcourt.

How funny these personal stories run. For all those that now deny any link between Ken Saro Wiwa and Biafra, I say--- you've turned into an ostrich; hiding your head while thinking that your whole body has been hidden.

The eastern Nigerian divide was a master stroke by the genuius planners of the Nigerian war. They did so good a job pitching one side of eastern Nigeria against the other, that even the easterners don't even know it. First, it was the mainland easterners, now it's the delta people.

So how could Ken Saro Wiwa just pack into "abandoned properties" in PH, not knowing that there were no abandoned properties in Lagos, Ibadan, Jos, or even Kaduna. Just in Port Harcourt shocked

I can almost see the glee on his face eating from another man's blood and sweat, all in the name of short term gratification.
May Ken Saro Wiwa face God's judgement, but for those who applaud him as a messiah, when he was no better than an eloquent common criminal, I have 3 words for you: go to hell angry
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by mafioso(m): 12:43am On Jun 16, 2009
What is the problem of the Igbo's on Nairaland you are busy making mouth here while your mates (MEND) are busy with the Federal Govt. Noise makers like you, Go get a job
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by naijaking1: 3:24am On Jun 16, 2009
mafioso:

What is the problem of the Igbo's on Nairaland you are busy making mouth here while your mates (MEND) are busy with the Federal Govt. Noise makers like you, Go get a job
Where did this one come from
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by DoffMan2: 11:23am On Jun 16, 2009
I just thought that the following extract would throw some light (NOT JUSTIFYING) on the reasons behind anti-Ibo feelings back then.

Pls excuse me if you've seen it before.

QUICK KILL IN SLOW MOTION: THE NIGERIAN CIVIL WAR (STAFFORD, Michael R., Major, United States Army)

“Before the imposition of European influence in the 19th
Century, these tribes shared little common experience.  They
were separated geographically.  The Northern Hausa-Fulani
tribes were situated in dry savannahs south of the Sahara and
accessible to the influences of the Mediterranean region,
especially Islam.  City states there developed under the rule
of powerful emirs and the Islamic religion took root.
The Yoruba in the West maintained more contact with the
North than did the Eastern tribes, due to their highly
developed trading activities and moderately open territory.
Urban dwellers, the Yoruba were divded into states, each
centered on a city.  The tribe was industrious; crafts were
numerous; and the religion complex due to interaction with
many outside cultures.  The relative sophistication of
Yoruban society helped it withstand the trauma of European
rule.(1)
The Ibo of the Eastern region were initially quite
different from the hard-working, intelligent people that
developed after the arrival of the British.  Isolated in the
dense, wet woodlands of the Niger Delta, the Ibo lacked the
sophistication of the Yoruba or the coastal minority tribes.
In contrast, the originally backward Ibo emerged from the
British colonial period as the most westernized tribe,
espousing Christianity (as did some Yoruba) and proving
adaptable to the imported work ethic due to their initiative
and vigor.(2)”

, and,

“The Ibo Experience.  A final point needs to be made
regarding the animosity toward the Ibo.  In their acceptance
of European values and the Christian religion, the Ibo
further differentiated themselves from the other tribes of
Nigeria, particularly those of the North.  The Ibo proved
themselves intelligent, ambitious and conscientious.  These
traits enabled the Ibo to capitalize on educational
opportunities and saw them dominate administrative
organizations, like the civil service and similar positions
in industry.  They did especially well on the General
Qualification Examination for Officer Placement in the
military, due to their higher education level.(20)  This
eventually became a factor in the establishment of a regional
quota system for officer recruitment, so as to achieve an
ethnic balance in the armed forces.
Resentment built up among the other tribes of the near
Ibo monopoly of the skilled professions and white collar
jobs.  Old tribal prejudices were aggravated by the belief
that the Ibo were trying to dominate Nigeria.  The coup of
January 1966, instigated by Ibo majors, led to the death of
the key non-Ibo leaders in the country and, though apparently
unplanned, placed Ibo General Ironsi in power.  After an
initial period of relief at the believed end of corruption,
doubts formed among the non-Ibo population and a fear
developed that the coup was another step in an Ibo plan to
control the country.
Hundreds of Ibo were massacred in May 1966 in a backlash
to the coup.  General Ironsi had failed to take positive
steps to stabilize the political situation by harshly
punishing the plotters, most of whom were jailed
indefinitely.  The appearance of complicity and the growing
nationwide unrest created the climate for the counter-coup in
July 1966; this coup was initiated by non-Ibo company grade
officers.  Ironsi was brutally slain and his Chief of Staff,
Lieutenant Colonel Yakubu "Jack" Gowon, was a compromise
choice as his replacement.  Gowon was the senior Northern
officer serving in the Army at the time; however, his choice
created some interesting aspects since he was Christian, from
a middle belt minority tribe, and had been hitherto
relatively obscure.”

, finally, regarding why the Federal Gov couldn't control the mobs up north,

“But the military lacked the size to control Nigeria.  At
the time of the first coup, Nigerian forces totaled only
10,500.  The Army was the largest with 9,000 soldiers.  The
Navy numbered 900, including 80 officers, and the newly
formed Air Force boasted about 700 men.  In a country more
than twice the size of California, the military was spread
too thinly and was without the training, equipment and
sophistication to suitably dominant Nigeria's vast area and
population.  Additionally, this small organization
reverberated with the ethnic turmoil confronting the rest of
the country which further reduced its ability to handle the
civil strife”

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/report/1984/SMR.htm
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by Dede1(m): 11:52am On Jun 16, 2009
mafioso:

MEND or whatever they called themselves woke up too late. Ndigbo saw this crap in 1966 and decided to put an end to it. However, fools among them in southern Nigeria thought otherwise hence the current debacle. I pray the situation explodes to engulf Nigeria in a sectional war of attrition.

I am afraid you wrote like the offspring of the dormant morons who remained demented in1966.
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by SapeleGuy: 7:42pm On Jun 16, 2009
Eziachi:

People will always represent issues the way they see fit. I don’t see the English word I used that suggest to you that I was suggesting that Ikemba was elected to lead Biafra, because I told you that he was asked to lead because he was the highest ranking officer around, a readymade administrator then , young and very educated and personal wealth that can help.
A military dictator doesn't have to obey commands he doesn't want to. If he was the military governor who else could they have chosen?

Eziachi:

[b]As for plebiscite anchoring on Cameroon, it’s either you decide to write that or has no idea what you are talking about as no such thing happened. [/b]Chief John Asou, who led their secession to Cameroon along with Chief Ni John Fru Ndi, evoked just the 1958 London conference agreement and was allowed to secede. Chief Fru Ndi is still alive today if you want to verify, he is the present leader of the Cameroon opposition SDP party.
The NCNC party stood for national council of nigeria and cameroon. From 1955 to 1960 there was a war of independence. There was a UN sponsored plebiscite for the southern part which was administered from nigeria to join the newly independent french cameroon. In truth, they did not secede they were making their country whole again.
http://www.unttscnc.org/southern_cameroons_plebiscite.htm

Eziachi:

In 1991 when Paul Biya wants him dead, he was in our house in Aba for safety for four months until things calmed down in Bamenda.
Not only that I was around then in the 60s but my own father was the youngest member of the then Eastern Nigerian House of parliament, so I should know.
Whilst your personal 'connections' are 'impressive'. I think your argument has to be butressed by more objective references.
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/topics/National_Council_of_Nigeria_and_the_Cameroons
Re: David Ejoor's View About The Civil War by aribisala0(m): 12:48am On Mar 27, 2011
as yoruba man who has grown up among the ibos i can say a number of things categorically. first there are so many different ibos across different states with different traits,character and even customs. of course this is true for yoruba,hausa and other major ethnic groups in nigeria and so i am not saying anything new?yes in theory but in practice no. we all tend to stereotype each other because it is easy on the brain. one thing is a fact in nigeria most ethnic groups regard ibos with suspicion and often hatred.is this justified it is not my place to say? but i think ibos need to look at themselves critically. clearly a lot of atrocities  were perpetrated against the ibos as a race which in my view cannot be justified by all the actions ejoor has listed even if they were all true but there is a certain tendency among ibos which generates strong resentment ; seeking to dominate communities that host them in a triumphal way as seen in port Harcourt among eastern region minorities. in Lagos see the same trend in certain trading sectors and more recently the movie industry.the perception is that ibos are selfish and greedy. this is funny because i know lots of selfish and greedy yoruba and hausa people. maybe it is a failure of public relations. whatever it is ibos are responsible ultimately and cannot blame anyone. it is human nature to resent such success and ibos need to learn how to keep a low profile particularly as they are the ones that travel the most. in general other nigerians punish these traits quietly(in the political arena) and you can bet that an ibo will never rule nigeria because others fear and mistrust them. no amount of cage rattling will change this and perhaps a more subtle approach should be tried. otherwise i fear in the political arena ibos will alway be politcal brides ala nnamdi azikiwe.
perhaps you can start by asking the question why would other nigerians rather have an ijaw than an ibo president? trust my brethren

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Buhari Arrives Dakar, Senegal For Security Meeting (photo) / Zainab Ahmed: ₦5.548 Trillion Available To Fund 2020 Budget / Former President Goodluck Jonathan Presents Paper At National Defence College

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.