Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,516 members, 7,819,862 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? (6877 Views)

Current Status Of Workers Salaries In South West Nigeria / South West Is The Pride Of Nigeria. A Big Lesson For The Biafrans / Buhari Is Allowing Other Ethnic Groups To Kill Our People - Miyetti Chairman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 1:22pm On Sep 05, 2015
I have come to realise that South west is very diverse, they comprise of different ethnic nationality but conquered and dominated by yorubas. The word yoruba to me seems to be a unifying coinage just like Anioma, to bring bring all different ethnic nationals together.
However, unlike Anioma, different ethnic nationals in South west have nothing in common, aside that, they adopted yoruba language as a lingual franca..
among them are 1. Aworis : they occupy some parts of ogun state lagos and ondo state they have different culture and background, they have stated that they are not yorubas 2. The ijebus are fierce and aggressive, they have also affirmed that they migrated from sudan, so they can not be regarded as yorubas, 3. The Egun, they are found in Benin republic, lagos, Ogunn state and some part of oyo state. They have nothing in common with yorubas both in culture and language, they are the only one still tied to their traditional, maybe because they are very conservative.
others are ekiti, egba, ife, etc all these ones have aligned fully to the big family yoruba. but the question is who is the pure yoruba, because I hear people describe some with funny tags and names.. I need a very serious clarification here

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by funmijoyb(f): 1:28pm On Sep 05, 2015
you havnt mention d igbos dat constitute large numbers in south west too. all d above mention tribes r yoruba

11 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by michaelwilli(m): 1:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:
I have come to realise that South west is very diverse, they comprise of different ethnic nationality but conquered and dominated by yorubas. The word yoruba to me seems to be a unifying coinage just like Anioma, to bring bring all different ethnic nationals together.
However, unlike Anioma, different ethnic nationals in South west have nothing in common, aside that, they adopted yoruba language as a lingual franca..
among them are 1. Aworis : they occupy some parts of ogun state lagos and ondo state they have different culture and background, they have stated that they are not yorubas 2. The ijebus are fierce and aggressive, they have also affirmed that they migrated from sudan, so they can not be regarded as yorubas, 3. The Egun, they are found in Benin republic, lagos, Ogunn state and some part of oyo state. They have nothing in common with yorubas both in culture and language, they are the only one still tied to their traditional, maybe because they are very conservative.
others are ekiti, egba, ife, etc all these ones have aligned fully to the big family yoruba. but the question is who is the pure yoruba, because I hear people describe some with funny tags and names.. I need a very serious clarification here
Shey e pain u or are u an ethnic bigot or another wailing wailer?
Nigeria is very diverse, dnt take paracetamol on empty stomach

12 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 1:43pm On Sep 05, 2015
michaelwilli:
Shey e pain u or are u an ethnic bigot or another wailing wailer? Nigeria is very diverse, dnt take paracetamol on empty stomach
Why you like insult like this? eeh!! can't you be civil for once in your life...

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 1:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
funmijoyb:
you havnt mention d igbos dat constitute large numbers in south west too. all d above mention tribes r yoruba

No igbos do not have an ancestry home in South west!! Answer my question first...

6 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by funmijoyb(f): 1:56pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:

No igbos do not have an ancestry home in South west!! Answer my question first...

anywhere rule by an Oba is a yoruba land. yorubas love to entertain strangers, all tribes in Nigeria r in the south west. before d ijebus came to part of ogun state Yorubas has been there. Ijebu is a yoruba word used 4 d native ijebu people there but strangers from sudan don't even know themselves again.

Aworis r yorubas
ekiti yorubas
likewise
ife
Akoko
Edo
fon
igala
ijebu
Ebira

3 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by emerged01(m): 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2015
Op,your post is funny. if all those you mentioned are not Yoruba,what can we call the language they all speak? I still can't comprehend your post,what language does ijebu speak if is not yoruba language?

4 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by EasternLion: 1:57pm On Sep 05, 2015
Op, thank you for not forgetting the ones that said they are from Sudan, while the main Yoruba kporoakpor, said their 'ground' papa was chased down from sky.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by aylagos(m): 2:13pm On Sep 05, 2015
Why are u guys giving this guy attention, this is nt the first time he would post something like this, pls ignore that vagabond, or let him ask google the real yorubas if he care to know

8 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by orimsamsam(m): 2:15pm On Sep 05, 2015
but wetin concern op. u even forgot to add Igbo. dey consist of 60 percent of Lagos population

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by Fash20: 2:27pm On Sep 05, 2015
orimsamsam:
but wetin concern op. u even forgot to add Igbo. dey consist of 60 percent of Lagos population
see fool Igbos are not even up to 30percent of Lag population

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 2:32pm On Sep 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

anywhere rule by an Oba is a yoruba land. yorubas love to entertain strangers, all tribes in Nigeria r in the south west. before d ijebus came to part of ogun state Yorubas has been there. Ijebu is a yoruba word used 4 d native ijebu people there but strangers from sudan don't even know themselves again.

Aworis r yorubas
ekiti yorubas
likewise
ife
Akoko
Edo
fon
igala
ijebu
Ebira
Are Eguns yoruba?
Ijebu Royal said that they came from Sudan #fact..

1 Like

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by Babalegba(m): 2:41pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:
Why not just Google your problem

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by ERODEDEAST(f): 2:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
YORUBAE is a RACE
Op take Note
Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by jemir000: 2:45pm On Sep 05, 2015
true talk
Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by onenaira3: 2:46pm On Sep 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

The Egun are NOT yoruba.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by simpleseyi: 2:49pm On Sep 05, 2015
orimsamsam:

You are wrong, Ibos constitute 99 percent of Lagos population. Yorubas are just 0.1 percent while Ijaws are 0.9 percents. Idiots everywhere. Try another nonsense, the 1967 to 1970 genocide will be repeated.

6 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by Armaggedon: 2:51pm On Sep 05, 2015
I think think the op is 80% correct

1 Like

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by laudate: 2:57pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:

Hmmn...na wa! shocked When did the Aworis come out en bloc, to tell you there are not Yoruba? What names do their people bear? What customs and traditions do they practise? shocked

And what are you trying to achieve with this? You are also trying to use that 'Sudan" migration theory to claim the Ijebu are not Yoruba. Unfortunately, a number of them have come to NL to confirm they are actually Yoruba. sad

It is like someone coming out to say the Onitsha, the Ngwa, Bende, Aguleri, Mbaise, Aboh, Ezza, Wawa, Nkwerre, Etche etc., are not Igbo, simply because they speak different dialects of Igbo. undecided Won't you laugh at his stupidity??

8 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 3:32pm On Sep 05, 2015
aylagos:
Why are u guys giving this guy attention, this is nt the first time he would post something like this, pls ignore that vagabond, or let him ask google the real yorubas if he care to know
Show me where I have put up this kind of thread before or you gerraourahere for sensible people to comment
Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 3:35pm On Sep 05, 2015
orimsamsam:
I'm concerned because a respected king said so... So I'm confused! I want to know why he claimed to have migrated from sudan, instead of oduduwa in great ife land.

1 Like

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 3:44pm On Sep 05, 2015
laudate:

Hmmn...na wa! shocked When did the Aworis come out en bloc, to tell you there are not Yoruba? What names do their people bear? What customs and traditions do they practise? shocked

And what are you trying to achieve with this? You are also trying to use that 'Sudan" migration theory to claim the Ijebu are not Yoruba. Unfortunately, a number of them have come to NL to confirm they are actually Yoruba. sad

It is like someone coming out to say the Onitsha, the Ngwa, Bende, Aguleri, Mbaise, Aboh, Ezza, Wawa, Nkwerre, Etche etc., are not Igbo, simply because they speak different dialects of Igbo. undecided Won't you laugh at his stupidity??

I like how responsible and civil your response is, now let's dissect the diversity in SW,
Do Aworis see themselves as Awori or yoruba? Do they mix with slave returnees like Cokers of this world,
2. Egun are not yoruba no matter how you try to deny this,
3. If ijebus are yoruba, why would a King come out and say that they migrated from Sudan!!!

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by aylagos(m): 3:50pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:

Show me where I have put up this kind of thread before or you gerraourahere for sensible people to comment
u knw it, because u use another moniker think u can fool us here

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by betty202020(m): 4:01pm On Sep 05, 2015
simpleseyi:

You are wrong, Ibos constitute 99 percent of Lagos population. Yorubas are just 0.1 percent while Ijaws are 0.9 percents. Idiots everywhere. Try another nonsense, the 1967 to 1970 genocide will be repeated.
Be assured that u will be killed first by stray bullet when it starts
Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by funmijoyb(f): 8:09pm On Sep 05, 2015
patrick89:

Are Eguns yoruba?
Ijebu Royal said that they came from Sudan #fact..
if they are not yoruba atleast we are ruling over them grin like we does to igbos in south west

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by zenith4biz(m): 9:04pm On Sep 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

Aworis r yorubas
ekiti yorubas
likewise
ife
Akoko
Edo
fon
igala
ijebu
Ebira

We igala's are not Yoruba, don't join us with you

Shikena
Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by funmijoyb(f): 9:42pm On Sep 05, 2015
zenith4biz:

We igala's are not Yoruba, don't join us with you

Shikena

u r not yoruba but a subgroup. u dey craze why is igala a yoruba word? why r igalas in south west and kogi? Ode leleyi o

2 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by fkaz(m): 10:00pm On Sep 05, 2015
One of the bedrock of yoruba homogeneous language is the early translation of english Bible to yoruba by Bishop samuel Ajayi crowther.

IMO

1 Like

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 10:30pm On Sep 05, 2015
fkaz:
One of the bedrock of yoruba homogeneous language is the early translation of english Bible to yoruba by Bishop samuel Ajayi crowther.

IMO
a very intelligent response, but can you elaborate more on that effect.
Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by Ilekeh(f): 10:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
Only on paper you say?

Yet we live homogeneously. Any "I hate Bleep Yoruba group" by a yoruba person in 2015? No.

Any division? No.

In fact, state lines do not matter. Yoruba is Yoruba.

7 Likes

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 10:33pm On Sep 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

u r not yoruba but a subgroup. u dey craze why is igala a yoruba word? why r igalas in south west and kogi? Ode leleyi o

listen igala are not yoruba, like ijaw, they're in anambra, Benue, edo, delta and ofcourse kogi.. they are not yoruba. Their women do not dress alike too.

1 Like

Re: The South West Is Homogeneous Only On Paper, How Many Ethnic Groups Are They? by patrick89(m): 10:34pm On Sep 05, 2015
funmijoyb:

if they are not yoruba atleast we are ruling over them grin like we does to igbos in south west

I don't have any words for you, they will respond to you..

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Biggest Loser Of Anambra Governorship Election (photo) / Ilorin City Vs Abeokuta City: Which One Is More Beautiful? / Omo Na Now I Know Say No Be By Rally Ooo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.