Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,868 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? (62399 Views)

Poll: Do "mammy water" spirits actually exist?

No, it's a myth: 39% (55 votes)
Yes, it's reality: 60% (83 votes)
This poll has ended

Islamic Cleric Arrested Over 3-day Marathon Sex Deliverance From 'mammy Water' / Lady Narrates How She Was Mistaken For Mammy Water In Church Because She's Fair / Akudaya:myth Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by kissobehi(f): 9:27pm On Jun 14, 2007
I'm a mermaid or mammy water like you call it
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by diamondd(f): 9:34pm On Jun 15, 2007
tasma y are you so upset
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by MP007(m): 11:53am On Jun 24, 2007
i no wan ssee one
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by femib26(m): 1:42pm On Aug 10, 2007
its better to know God & the power that comes with JESUS than to begin to border yourself with existence of a less powerful mermard.Since the devil exisit any evil thing can as well be.My candid advise is that 'GOD IS MORE IN EXISTENCE THAN ANY, 'How come we never saw a black mammy water?
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by orunmila76(m): 8:10pm On Aug 12, 2007
there are many unholy creatures under the sea,have u heard about AROGIDIGBA before?they all exist
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by omoge(f): 8:12pm On Aug 12, 2007
what's arogidi? is it a kind of underwater fish?
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Shokoloko(f): 10:42pm On Aug 12, 2007
well i had a nigerian (not mixed) colleague once who had waist length black silky hair, could stay underwater for a hour without coming up once for air, and NO MERMAID LEGS AT ALL.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by okeyz(m): 3:39am On Aug 18, 2007
Hi guys ,i have been following this thread and i want to say here that mermaid really do exist !!!.
i have 3 personal experinces to tell ,i will say one here and the rest later

1.In 1998 ,in victoria island around november,a fisherman mistakenly caught a mermaid  under the bridge that links ikoyi with victoria island at ozumba mbadiwe street.

he spread the net at night only to come in the morning around 11.00 to check on what he has  caught, indeed he caught alot of fish and more interesting was that he caught a very big fish because he saw only the tail end of only the mermaid, the body was covered with smaller fishes and weeds from the lagoon.

on close examination he found that the "big fish" was indeed a MERMAID!!!
he raised an alarm that could be heard as far as ajah !  and before u could say what the hell! people started gathering ,there was pandemonium everywhere and it caused a heavy traffick that lasted for 5 hours!.

people were coming down from there vehicles to have a glimpse of this creature,meen i tell u if u see this thing u will have a mixture of fear and attraction!

fear that this thing is not human but yet appears to have both human and a glittering fish tail for legs and attraction that the creature remains a mystery that makes you want to discover more about it.

all the drawings of the mermaid having a long hair ,fish tail and feminine are all true!

back to my story,people made frantic efforts to get the NTA to view the creature,some suggest that it should be taking to the school of oceanography,but the fisherman begged them that it should be returned  back to the lagoon where it came from as he is afraid of a reprisal attack from the mermaids family,since he is a fisherman and fishing is what he and his family does for a living ,he and some other fishermen then used long canoe paddles to push the mermaid back into the lagoon and immediately it slipped into the water it regaind its strenght and went deep into the lagoon with speed. in a flash!

when this mermaid was brought out it was covering her face because of the sun and it was very weak to move because the sun was kind of draining her strenght,, ,,,,,
shocked
its something that happens maybe once in a lifetime and i was once a doubting thomas when it comes to the supernatural but seeing what i saw that november 1998,i ve stopped going to lagoons alone not to talk of bar beach,if i see any beautiful babe with long flowing hair ,i take to my heels!!!

If you are doubting if these things exist go to those fishermen at the lagoon between ikoyi and v.i and ask them ,they are in good postion to tell u

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ssRhino: 3:26pm On Aug 18, 2007
I would love to see one, never seen one before, and so i cant say they exist or not, till i see on, me wont blv, now dont start quoting the bible on me, cos the work of the son could be verified
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by divinegood(m): 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2007
MAMMY WATER is real, go and ask Victor Uwaifo( ask him who gave him his golden flute?
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Nobody: 8:54am On Dec 04, 2007
Arrant nonsense!!! Hiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss angry angry angry
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by dafidixone(m): 4:02pm On Dec 04, 2007
yeah mammy water is for real. when i was in ogbe primary school effurun, warri. the creature called mamaid came out one hot afternoon to dry her skin by the side of the river, that was the first time i saw her, so beautiful. they are for real and exist as u and me. ok

grin cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by xxGracexx: 9:51pm On Sep 02, 2008
Mammy Water is real
She has a grey tail
And Long Black Hair
But she is known as very evil
She shoots bullets with her breasts
Every Year there is a festival
Where people come to see her
But are strictly warned not to take photos
It take place in Nigeria
smiley

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Nobody: 12:07am On Sep 03, 2008
@XXgracexx

nawao is that not d pix of my girl friend while in naija on a visit last year, just joking, guy's that story is very old and worldwide one 4 that matter, i have been 2 bar beach and many other river's trying to see this creature but she's no where to found, my mum and my sister believe on it's existence but 4 me i am skeptical on this matter
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ssRhino: 12:39pm On Sep 03, 2008
I still wish to see one, face to face one day,e ven shake hands sef and say, Good to see you.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Sep 03, 2008
In the world of mammy water is there no african's,chinese or india how come it's only european's look a like even though some of them are from africa, alrite i'll tell u a story about my sister's experience,i dont believe it though,as there's white pple living in my mother's village,so i believe d story was a set,one sunday morning my sister went to river as she did'nt go to church with us that day,on getting to d river she saw an european looking woman sitting on a wooden board which ppl use 4 washing cloths,d  woman was backing her so she could'nt see her face,all she saw was d long hair and d back she was brushing her hair as we always know,d moment she heard d sound of my sister engine she jumped into d water,my sister said she has this mix feeling of excitement and nerveous feeling, to me it's one those mammy water impersonator's am sure it was one of those white kids living at the other side of the river trying to feel black,,,,,we are all from the same village but they think they are superior so they dont swim on our teritory,when we are not there they do like to use ours though
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ssRhino: 1:01pm On Sep 03, 2008
Please which village is that, i will like to visit there.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Sep 03, 2008
@rhino

it's in delta state, if u re serious in visiting send an email so i can arrange 4 u,am not in naija @ d moment but am hoping to come 4 xmas.

to d fisherman that caught mamaid, mammywater wit d powers as pple say,how can she get caught by a common fisherman and by a net 4 dat matter,,,man u 4got she has hands like everyother person beside she can disapear aswell,could'nt she send 4 her family member to come 4 her rescue,even me can not be caught wit a net,not to talk of something supernatural,man i dont believe dat story,actually a friend of my from imo state has told me something like dat,he said the incident happened in imo state
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by timbabng(m): 2:07pm On Sep 06, 2008
. . . .till the day i see evidence, It's a MYTH
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ceuta: 7:01pm On Sep 07, 2008
As you wish for evidence also pray for God`s protections when you encounter it. bro
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by stnonymus(m): 8:59pm On Sep 08, 2008
Ask those who believe in it and they will tell you they heard it from reliable source.Ask the relaible source and he/she will most likely tell you they heard it from another reliable source.And if you investigate further you will find yourself interviewing and endless list of reliable sources who have never seen a mammywater for themselves.

People believe too much in superstition.If they had that much faith in God, this world would be overflowing with miracles.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by TOYOSI20(f): 12:11am On Oct 24, 2008
Ermmmm. . . . . . .that would be a big fat MYTH. . , . . . . . lipsrsealed undecided shocked
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by wirinet(m): 6:11pm On Oct 24, 2008
Before we attempt to answer the question of the reality of mammy water or mermaid, we should first agree on what a mammy water is.

Is mammy water a spirit being?
is it a physical animal.
Do they have societies, culture, cities, etc?
Do they possess lungs or gills?

Now having asked those questions, i can authoritatively affirm mermaid to be a myth, a myth i suspect was borrowed form the europeans like every other aspects of our lives, like religion, alphabet, urbanization, etc. I doubt we have stories of mermaids in our pre colonial history.

There are many myths from Europe and the middle east about half animal and have human creatures, we have centaurs (half human/half bull), Sphinx (half human/half lion), there are even half human/half snake creatures. So naturally mermaid myths are popular with people living nears rivers in Nigeria.

okeyz:

Hi guys ,i have been following this thread and i want to say here that mermaid really do exist !!!.
i have 3 personal experinces to tell ,i will say one here and the rest later

1.In 1998 ,in victoria island around november,a fisherman mistakenly caught a mermaid under the bridge that links ikoyi with victoria island at ozumba mbadiwe street.

he spread the net at night only to come in the morning around 11.00 to check on what he has caught, indeed he caught alot of fish and more interesting was that he caught a very big fish because he saw only the tail end of only the mermaid, the body was covered with smaller fishes and weeds from the lagoon.

on close examination he found that the "big fish" was indeed a MERMAID!!!
he raised an alarm that could be heard as far as ajah ! and before u could say what the hell! people started gathering ,there was pandemonium everywhere and it caused a heavy traffick that lasted for 5 hours!.

people were coming down from there vehicles to have a glimpse of this creature,meen i tell u if u see this thing u will have a mixture of fear and attraction!

fear that this thing is not human but yet appears to have both human and a glittering fish tail for legs and attraction that the creature remains a mystery that makes you want to discover more about it.

all the drawings of the mermaid having a long hair ,fish tail and feminine are all true!

back to my story,people made frantic efforts to get the NTA to view the creature,some suggest that it should be taking to the school of oceanography,but the fisherman begged them that it should be returned back to the lagoon where it came from as he is afraid of a reprisal attack from the mermaids family,since he is a fisherman and fishing is what he and his family does for a living ,he and some other fishermen then used long canoe paddles to push the mermaid back into the lagoon and immediately it slipped into the water it regaind its strenght and went deep into the lagoon with speed. in a flash!

when this mermaid was brought out it was covering her face because of the sun and it was very weak to move because the sun was kind of draining her strenght,, ,,,,,
shocked
its something that happens maybe once in a lifetime and i was once a doubting thomas when it comes to the supernatural but seeing what i saw that november 1998,i ve stopped going to lagoons alone not to talk of bar beach,if i see any beautiful babe with long flowing hair ,i take to my heels!!!

If you are doubting if these things exist go to those fishermen at the lagoon between ikoyi and v.i and ask them ,they are in good postion to tell u

About this story, it is full of contradictions.
I lived in V/I in 1998, opposite the Bar Beach and i did not hear your story. Also your wrote in narratives (the trick often employed in religious sacred books) and not in first person account as a witness. Also if you shout from falomo bridge, you will not be heard in 1004 not to talk of Ajah.

Of those talking about mermaids living in Bar Beach, when we lost our house in 2001. I was homeless for 2 years and lots of time i slept on the beach, sometime in front of the waves under the thatched sheds, and i did not see or hear of any mammy water. Also then the beach was active for 24hrs, you have Christians praying all night in front of the waves, you have Ashewos plying their trade in the beach and the bars were opened all night and no body has seen or heard of mermaids. Ditto for Alpha beach, Eleko beach and other beaches. So where are the mermaids.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:30pm On Oct 24, 2008
Cheii!!

Mammy water is very real o!!
who do you think acted little mermaid??
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by 190: 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2008
I dont know why u people would just keep decievin urselfs, ur fathers agreed there were marmaids,our mothers agreed, do u think they are fools, mermaids exist as 4 as im c0ncerned, but wiceva way i dont want 2 encounter 1, i know they really exist, please advice 4 u doubters please try and spend more ova nites near beaches and lakes maybe for a month then u would see 1 and dont forget 2 race at ur topest heels wen u c 1
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by tpia: 6:51am On Dec 15, 2008
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Dios(f): 7:21am On Dec 15, 2008
;DA bunch of adults arguing about mermaids being real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you people crazy?

After this can someone please tell me if santa is real, the tooth fairy?, unicorns?
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by SirJohn(m): 4:53pm On Dec 15, 2008
Dios:

;DA bunch of adults arguing about mermaids being real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you people crazy?

After this can someone please tell me if santa is real, the tooth fairy?, unicorns?

They might as well believe in superman, batman, ironman, x-men, voltron and superted
Loads of crap angry
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Dios(f): 6:50am On Dec 16, 2008
SirJohn:

They might as well believe in superman, batman, ironman, x-men, voltron and superted
Loads of crap angry

Let's form VOLTRON!!!!!!! grin
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 8:24am On Dec 25, 2008
[size=13pt]O yeah,mammy water is not a Myth,is Reality ,i can remember when i was young,sometimes my Mum goes to the Village to visit my Grand mama at Ovu_Inland.its a Riverine village liking to the River_Niger.the water Looks like Nescafe_Coffee.Every rainy reason the water will full up and many of the Children going to the River to swim have been taken away by Mammy water,some children witness the with their eyes and went home to tell Others.It is REAL!!.
if you go to some certain riverine Villages in Delta state you will see .
[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by 190: 8:46pm On Apr 24, 2009
My Gawd
is this real,
I just caught some goose pimples readin all these
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by 190: 10:08pm On Apr 24, 2009
undecided undecided@Ogaga4Luv
are u trying 2 scare me or smtin,
maybe it was the crocrodiles that ate the children
anyway bak 2 the mamywater issue
maybe its real, i guess its real,
im 70% sure its real but, come 2 tink of it
why havent it been televised yet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Margaret Idahosa Cries, Visits Archbishop Idahosa's Mausoleum / Sharon Oyakhilome And Phillip Frimpong's White Wedding Photos / Lady Beaten And Injured In Taraba Church For Not Dressing Properly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.