Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,452 members, 7,846,894 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 06:35 AM

The Weeknd: 5 Things You Didn't Know About The 'love Me Harder' Singer - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / The Weeknd: 5 Things You Didn't Know About The 'love Me Harder' Singer (921 Views)

"If I Wasn't Handsome Will You Still Love Me?" - RMD Preach Humbleness To Fans / Nigerians Love Me And My Style - Pretty Mike / Chidinma Rocks New Hairstyle To Promote Her New Song, 'Love Me' (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Weeknd: 5 Things You Didn't Know About The 'love Me Harder' Singer by Nobody: 7:26pm On Sep 06, 2015
The Weeknd is a Canadian singer, songwriter and producer who sings the smash-hit duet "Love Me Harder" with Ariana Grande. The 24-year-old artist's real name is Abel Tesfaye, and he grew up in Toronto, Ontario.

1. He used to be camera shy
"In the beginning, I was very insecure. I hated how I looked in pictures," The Weeknd told Complex. "Like, crop me out of this picture right now. I was very camera shy ...
The whole 'enigmatic artist' thing, I just ran with it. No one could find pictures of me. It reminded me of some villain s---. But you can't escape the internet."

2. He had never left Canada before the age of 21
The Weeknd never left Toronto until he was 21, calling himself a "city cat." He had never been on a plane until then, either.

3. He is of Ethiopian heritage and speaks Amharic fluently
The artist revealed in a Reddit q&a with fans that his dad wasn't around growing up, and his mother had to work constantly, therefore he was raised by his Ethiopian grandmother until he was 5 years old. Amharic, the language spoken in Ethiopia, was his first language.

4. His stage name was inspired by him leaving home at 17
One weekend, he decided to drop out of high school, grab his things and hop into a friend's van. He never went back.
Because of a Canadian band already named The Weekend, he had to change the spelling to avoid copyright issues.

5. He doesn't consider himself a true R&B artist.
"The only thing R&B about my s--- is the style of singing," he said. "My inspiration is R. Kelly, Michael Jackson and Prince, for the vocals anyway. My production and songwriting and the environment around those vocals are not inspired by R&B at all."

cc. lalasticlala rocktation ishilove.

#Yolo

(1) (Reply)

Br@less A Trend Only Su!table For Necklines Of Vertigo / Kylie Jenner Posts Adorable Photo Of Lamar Odom Following News The Athlete Is No / PHOTOS: What 14-year-old Daughter Of Mercy Aigbe Wore To Her Movie Premiere

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.