Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,591 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:13 AM

Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing (1440 Views)

Anybody Complaining About Buhari Is Wasting His Time – Diya Oladipo / Abacha Offers Oladipo Diya Handkerchief To Wipe Rivers Of Tears / Sani Abacha was honest & one of Nigeria's best ever leaders. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by blacksta(m): 6:07am On Apr 05, 2009
IT is like a fairy tale; and that is exactly the impression Gen. Oladipo Diya, former Chief of General Staff (CGS), wants to correct.

According to him, despite being second-in-command in government, he did not know that the late Head of State, Gen. Sani Abacha, was involved in large-scale plundering of the country's treasury.

In an exclusive interview with The Guardian, post his 65th birthday anniversary, Diya, a legal practitioner and publisher, said:

"I didn't know that Abacha was stealing money. I read about it on the pages of newspapers. I found it difficult to believe that Abacha was stealing money."

On how he could deny knowledge of the plundering spree of the Abacha family and associates, being the second-in-command to the late Gen. Sani Abacha, Diya declared:

"These things (looted funds) being put (published) on the pages of newspapers were not taken from the budget. People said it was being taken from the Reserve Account.

"And up till now, I don't know how money was spent or taken from the Reserve Account and it's not something that was discussed or debated at the level of the Ruling Council. So, how would I have known?"

The Guardian in its edition of Sunday, March 22, published the sordid details of how, among other methods, the Abacha family and associates stole billions both in local and hard currencies from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

However, stressing that he did not know how much Abacha allegedly stole, and that he was not in a position to confirm what really happened; Diya advised that efforts must be made to block the loopholes that encourage such large-scale fraud.

Diya, who reserved his comments on the controversial annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential election "for another time," said there was no alternative to democracy.

Noting that there was no comparison between military and democracy, he said the issue was "what can we do to perfect our democratic system? That is what should concern all Nigerians," he said.

"There is no alternative to democracy. But what do we do to sanitise the system and make politics accessible to everybody regardless of your status, regardless of the money you have. It shouldn't be for moneybags; that is the issue."

He also addressed the issue of Yoruba leadership, his estate business, law practice and publication, the Oladipo Diya Educational Foundation and his position in the Christian denomination.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by shotster50(m): 6:38am On Apr 05, 2009
Well then that makes you the dumbest 'Second in Command'.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 05, 2009
He has finally confirmed what he is and has been for ages; a coward and king of morons. angry
I used to like him until now.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by tpia: 7:10am On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by chidichris(m): 8:38am On Apr 05, 2009
does it mean all of u here did watch the oputa panel where mustapha made a mess of this foolish diya.
i wonder what these idiots take us for. obj when he had problems with atiku over third term came out to tell nigerians that atiku was a criminal claiming he did not know till then.
well a look at the following names will have a massage to nigerians,

1. obj
2. diya
3. bode george
4. borrishade
5. fani kayode
6. mrs etteh
7. Iyabo obasanjo
8. adedibu

a situation or a people that permits men and women criminals, father and daughter criminals, old and young criminals, literate and illitrate criminals, military and civilian criminals! wow! i guess something is wrong somewhere.

mr.diya shld be celebrating his excape from the shackles of death during the abacha days and not boring nigerians with his weaknesses.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by jaybee3(m): 8:55am On Apr 05, 2009
a friend once confirmed to me that his dad (one time head of military police in naij) and his boys helped themselves to stash of foreign currencies stored in diya's house when he was arrested as per the failed coup saga.

The point is where the he get 'em from if he his claiming not to be aware of the high scale looting?
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by iwefactria: 9:48am On Apr 05, 2009
shame on diya sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by yousouph(m): 10:57am On Apr 05, 2009
When Abacha was stealing, Diya was planning coup. That is why he doesn't know.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by oderemo(m): 11:06am On Apr 05, 2009
dead man talking
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by Nobody: 11:17am On Apr 05, 2009
Damn!! Why wont he know what his Boss was up to. (purest lies).
Well, i guess he's only tryin to eraze his name from the black book of ReCOrds. grin cheesy
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by lucabrasi(m): 11:38am On Apr 05, 2009
chidichris:

does it mean all of u here did watch the oputa panel where mustapha made a mess of this foolish diya.
i wonder what these idiots take us for. obj when he had problems with atiku over third term came out to tell nigerians that atiku was a criminal claiming he did not know till then.
well a look at the following names will have a massage to nigerians,

1. obj
2. diya
3. bode george
4. borrishade
5. fani kayode
6. mrs etteh
7. Iyabo obasanjo
8. adedibu

a situation or [/b]a people that permits men and women criminals, father and daughter criminals, old and young criminals, literate and illitrate criminals, military and civilian criminals! wow! i guess something is wrong somewhere[b].

mr.diya shld be celebrating his excape from the shackles of death during the abacha days and not boring nigerians with his weaknesses.

maybe im just being paranoid,but could you clarify the context in whih you r making the comments in bold coupled with only having yoruba names up there as if they are the only criminals in nigeria?if you ask me i think you r pointing to something but ill allow you to clarify yourself
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by blacksta(m): 3:38pm On Apr 05, 2009
Please watch this space. Diya is about to launch a polictical come back. do you think it is only them that likes good things
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by sleekp1: 3:43pm On Apr 05, 2009
Can't forget the Oputa panel when it was revealed Diya sobbed at the feet of Abacha, Diya has no shame.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by bawomolo(m): 5:15pm On Apr 05, 2009
sleek_p:

Can't forget the Oputa panel when it was revealed Diya sobbed at the feet of Abacha, Diya has no shame.

you no go beg if them one kill you grin grin

tpia - take it easy with the yoruba men are useless campaign o
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by AloyEmeka9: 6:41pm On Apr 05, 2009
tpia - take it easy with the yoruba men are useless campaign o
You should know by now that the woman is frustrated and disappointed that Yoruba men refused to marry her. Pay no attention to her.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by AloyEmeka9: 6:42pm On Apr 05, 2009
Can't forget  the Oputa panel  when it was revealed Diya sobbed at the feet of Abacha, Diya has no shame.
Nigerians expected him to act like a soldier and face death bravely but my guy wanted to live longer and watch his children grow. Who is smarter now?. Brave soldier wetin.  grin grin
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by sleekp1: 8:37pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

Nigerians expected him to act like a soldier and face death bravely but my guy wanted to live longer and watch his children grow. Who is smarter now?. Brave soldier wetin.   grin grin

Who is Diya going to lead when he already proved his cowardice or don't you know that:
"Cowards die many times before their death" Check the meaning of that saying.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by tpia: 8:43pm On Apr 05, 2009
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by MrTpia: 9:09pm On Apr 05, 2009
Aloy.Emeka:

You should know by now that the woman is frustrated and disappointed that Yoruba men refused to marry her. Pay no attention to her.

Says who eh? I am Mr Tpia so at least she has a man and I'll leave that to you to keep guessing whether I'm Yoruba or not. Only that we've sworn not to reveal our relationship on Nairaland.

Isn't that truth my dear Tpia?
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by Kobojunkie: 9:24pm On Apr 05, 2009
Roflmao!!!
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by ikeyman00(m): 9:29pm On Apr 05, 2009
hhhaaa
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by bawomolo(m): 9:37pm On Apr 05, 2009
Mr Tpia:

Says who eh? I am Mr Tpia so at least she has a man and I'll leave that to you to keep guessing whether I'm Yoruba or not. Only that we've sworn not to reveal our relationship on Nairaland.

Isn't that truth my dear Tpia?

you are not well grin
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by MaiSuya(m): 9:47pm On Apr 05, 2009
Mr Tpia:

Says who eh? I am Mr Tpia [b][size=13pt]so at least [/size][/b]she has a man and I'll leave that to you to keep guessing whether I'm Yoruba or not. Only that we've sworn not to reveal our relationship on Nairaland.

The emboldened says it all. poor tpia  cry

sleek_p:

Can't forget  the Oputa panel  when it was revealed Diya sobbed at the feet of Abacha, Diya has no shame.

Which one be shame again? the guy (abacha) was about to send him to the firing squad. . . he did what he could under the circumstances - cry for his dear life!!!
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by oderemo(m): 9:52pm On Apr 05, 2009
Which one be shame again? the guy (abacha) was about to send him to the firing squad. . . he did what he could under the circumstances - cry for his dear life!!!

replace abacha with him being kidnapped by the enemy during warfare is that how all Nigerian military secrets will be revealed under pressure. some military officer we have.
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by asha80(m): 9:57pm On Apr 05, 2009
@post

Tell that to the dogs!
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by idupaul: 10:45pm On Apr 05, 2009
AT post
mr diya couldnt have known when he was also busy stealing
Re: Diya: I Did Not Know Abacha Was Stealing by otokx(m): 11:51am On Apr 06, 2009
some people are shameless.

(1) (Reply)

On Patrol With Nigeria's Police In Enugu-bbc News. / Top Ten Most Influential Africans 2009 / What Will Happen If IBB Is Arrested?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.