Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,658 members, 7,820,308 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:52 PM

Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? (12540 Views)

Atheist Please Educate Me On The Existence And Potency Of African Voodoo / Traditionalcure, Spiritual Healing, Superstition, Voodoo, Magic, Facts / Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by Remmzy(m): 2:44am On Aug 28, 2006
why practice voodoo, when christ offers Life cool 
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by IB7(f): 3:03am On Dec 03, 2006
If voodoo exist why not use it to better nigeria?
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by gbadex1(m): 7:36am On Dec 03, 2006
@ Seun:

blanks? In Nigeria? Lmao, you definitely must be joking!!
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by macalurs(m): 3:30am On Dec 15, 2006
but who the hell hears gun shots in Nigeria and stays, moreso walks in and takes a good peep? Like c'mooon now, the story's missing some stages don't ya think?
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by goodguy(m): 8:52pm On Dec 15, 2006
Can you read at all?

Didn't I say she was inside someone's house? Did I say she walked in and peeped? She was in the person's house and peeped through the window.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by macalurs(m): 12:32am On Dec 16, 2006
@good[i]boy[/i]

I can read.  grin (b.t-w: You never quite stated where her vantage point was. . . maybe you could go back over and add it on)

The point is: Stories told and re-told lose originality, in that the stories always get sweeter.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by goodguy(m): 10:31am On Dec 16, 2006
I'm the first person to re-tell the story now. I don't think it has lost even 1% of originality yet.

As for her vantage point, I expected anyone to know she didn't actually go outside. If she had gone outside, then there would have been no need to peep at all in the first place.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by BigSis(f): 11:47pm On Dec 19, 2006
Voodoo/Vodum,

Is a religion, just like christianity. Hoodoo or juju is the magico aspect of the religion.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by Ndipe(m): 11:35am On Dec 21, 2006
Trust in Jesus Christ, for only He can save you.

Neither can voodoo nor the rest of them ,
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by macalurs(m): 5:23pm On Dec 21, 2006
Religion is fun, just like faith. I call it pre-occupation.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by adjain(m): 9:28am On Sep 13, 2007
Juju, Voodoo, and the whole muck-a-mucks.
Maybe you do not believe in it, but doubt does not change the facts. Maybe until your brothey turns into a man-sized tortoise, then you will believe. "Blessed is he who has not seen yet believed."
I strongly believe in voodoo (Or juju, whatever) but I also believe that He that is in me is greater than He that is in the World.

And that is that.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by VoodooGal: 3:17pm On Apr 30, 2009
i want to know someone who practice Voodoo in Lagos Nigeria, I fully believe in it, if someone can help me find a local who can help me find a voodoo spell caster plz
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by VoodooGal: 3:19pm On Apr 30, 2009
i want to know someone who practice Voodoo in Lagos Nigeria, I fully believe in it, if someone can help me find a local who can help me find a voodoo spell caster plz
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by Funkstein(m): 5:28pm On Jan 24, 2010
dolldagg:

I belive in voodoo and dont think that "it" is evil at all . "Evil" or "Good" comes fromt he person that practices , this goes for anything , merely being alive could be considered evil. voodoo is an ancient religion (older than christianity) and i do see it as the religion of the african people, since it started in West Africa and only got to Haiti by the slave trade. the only reason that christianity is considered "better" than voodoo is because of the slave trade. Honestly, i think that africa could have been saved the abuse and torment and lived on happily practicing it's own faith , rather than having christianity shoved down it's throat. The only reason that i remain a catholic is that it is (for the most part) peaceful, but i still do beilive that voodoo is a great source of healing and guidance .

xoxox
dolldagg

I agree with dolldagg 100%, just as there is good and evil in your average Naija church.
Voodun, Voodoo or whatever it is called all around the Diaspora is essentially a religion where the ancestors are venerated; the laws of nature are harnessed in respect of various deities whilst at the same time the belief in the almighty is propagated.
A typical example of this belief that like it or not is part of our psyche, is the pouring of libation on a new car for example, our parents took this ritual very seriously and protection was sought from our ancestors, so like it or not most of us have partaken in this practice at some time in our life.
An interesting article can be found here on the validity of these ATR African traditional beliefs from the Vatican’s viewpoint
http://segundawodu.com/evbayiro2.htm
This statement by the Pope is widely circulated around the internet as any search will reveal.
My take on it is that there is good and evil in every aspect of our lives this is evident in all our religious practices be it Christianity, Islam or other traditional African religious concepts.
It is also my thinking that Africa would be a better place without the intervention of the White man and his religious beliefs.
As far as I am concerned the early Christian missionaries caused us untold grief, the effect of which our people are still reeling from around the world today, I will list just a microcosm of my thoughts below:
The early Christian missionaries paved the way for the slave trade, in fact in one way or the other the church was complicit in its perpetration throughout West Africa.
The concept of salvation only through Jesus Christ assumes that the African did not inherit the kingdom of heaven before the white man came to Africa forced his religion on us and saved our arses,  . . . . .  I find this notion fundamentally flawed on many levels.
The Church of England was openly racist in its treatment of early settlers from the Caribbean, it is widely known that they were turned away from church on account of their race, this led to the proliferation of Pentecostal churches in the UK that catered for the ethnic minorities who were disenfranchised by the Church of England.
I have often thought that there is a direct correlation between our country being the poorest, rich and morally corrupt country in the world and our fanatical adherence to Christianity, I would suggest that there are more churches per capita in Nigeria than anywhere else in the world as for Islam let us not even go there. . . . .
I always smile when I remember a standing joke between some of my friends in Naija which reminds us that before your average Naija attempts to rip you off, he reminds you he is a Christian.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by Funkstein(m): 5:30pm On Jan 24, 2010
b
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by Whymee: 11:57pm On May 09, 2012
Voodoo, juju, witchcraft or what have you are platform of deceit. What shall be shall be.
Believe in God and every other things will take smooth shape in you life time.
We believe in destiny.

There is nothing like voodoo, those who engage in it have access to lots of deceit.

This deceit cannot be discover by those who approach them because, first you had set up you mind that solutions to ur problem can be solve there.

They easily creat a virtual image of fear in you, ask you to make some sacrifices, after which they tell again the problem has been resolve. You must have parted with you wallet then.

Our society psychology has been boxed, programed, default by various films and local movies that we watch right from our childhood age.

...so much that we can't reason out of the box.

Result of this psychological effect is the tantamount crowd you see at various worship centers looking for miracle, theyve all been program, having believe that someone somewhere is hindering their progress.

IF THERE IS ANYBODY WITH VOODOO/JUJU/WITCHCRAFT HINDERING THE LIVES OF ANYBODY, IT IS THE GOVERNMENT OF THAT LOCALITY.

GOVERNMENT CONTROLS
electricity, education, health, transpotation, employment, housing, feeding and other social amenities, economy is the whip use by government, and this whip can only be constructed when we have corruption in the system.

If all these items are in place, then you,ll realize nothing like voodoo.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by Jenwitemi(m): 9:06am On May 10, 2012
You don't even know what "Voodoo" is to begin with. You start a thread on voodoo and you go on to talk about people being cursed or haunted by underwater spirits and stuff. What has all that got to do with voodoo? None of those things you mentioned has anything to do with voodoo.

Voodoo, which is a religion in it's own right, has all kinds of shades from dark to light just like in any other religion out there. School up first before starting a thread, dude.
effects8000: As a Nigerian, we all have come across or heard about voodoo at on time or the other in our life. But are the so-called powers of African traditional religion real?

Growing up in Nigeria I heard a lot of stories about people being cursed or hunted by underwater spirits or the ever famous "mamiwater". To be frank with you all it is really scary and something that i don't want anything to do with.

But why do some Nigerians always have to resort to voodoo practices to haunt people they don't like, or people that are successful and they are not happy with it or to make people suffer. Do people have to be that wicked?

Personally, I do respect voodoo but i don't believe in it. I want to know what you guys think and please be as objective and realistic as possible. Cheers.
Re: Voodoo: Do You Believe In It? by emofine2(f): 9:33am On May 10, 2012
Precisely Jenwitemi. This is what grates on me concerning the lack of knowledge and demonization of African traditional religions whilst glorifying outside faiths.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Shiloh 2015: Updates & Full Transcript Of Bishop David Oyedepo's Messages / The Matter Of Tithing: My Personal Encounter With The Bible / Why Do Self-Confessed Criminals And False Pastors Sell CDs ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.